Become a Patron!

Burnt Post

Hello!

For some reason I've been having a hard time finding any info on this on google, but after vaping for some time on two atomizers now my center post turns black. I know this is just residue from burning and probably doesn't really effect usage, but my fiance doesn't seem to have the same issue. Am I just not rewicking enough? Am I burning too high? Anyone know how to clean it off without damaging the atomizer/using really harsh chemicals?

Thank you ~

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Not saying I have an answer, but a close up would help.

Good point. (don't judge my coils I know they are wonky I will be putting new ones in when I get home lol....) Might be worth mentioning I tend to like the sweeter flavors which do tend to be a lot stickier.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I would try heating up the coils without wicks (dry burn) then putting it in cold water
Then I would scrub the whole thing with water and an old toothbrush or something like it and repeat if necessary.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For one, I heat my coils before wicking, and let them cool off on their own. Putting them in water too quickly can damage them.
Get brass brushes that look like tooth brushes to clean coils. They will not damage the coils, and will do a better job of getting out gunk.
As far as the 3-post build, that is something I have not seen before. I am used to seeing them with even numbers.

Thanks for the tips! When I put in new coils I will see what I can do. To clarify, it is the post itself I was wondering about as far as the discoloration. I clean my coils with a dry burn and maybe a gentle brush, never with water, I would fear rust...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'm used to doing all of my building next to the sink.
I have a brush that's a bit thicker than a toothbrush|
You would be surprised how much gunk you can get off of the coils with hot water and a brush even before a dry burn.
I usually scrub them then I clean the inside if the coil as good as possible.
After everything I dry burn lightly and strum the coils with a flat head screwdriver
What ever you do don't ever fire the coils with your normal wattage.
I use 30 to 40 watts.
That way I can get it hot but not molten lava hot. lol

The wire brush does sound like a great idea for what you are trying to do.
You're going to most likely need to take the coils out in order to be able to clean around the entire post.

How often do you normally change the coils?
Also, has this black post issue just started recently happening or it an ongoing issue?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Well, that certainly looks different. What is it?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Might not want to but I suggest a horizontal build. Not sure if this has any effect as far as the center post. Do know vertical builds can dry out in the center of the coils quicker.

That might possibly lead to more oxidation on the center post. Not sure but it is a possibility. Think I'd try a horizontal build and see if that maybe stopped the post from blacking.

Coil centers drying out quicker in vertical builds is why you tug up a tuft of wick out of the top. Here's a quick text drawing.

\/ wick
|| vertical coil
/\ wick

Here's one with horizontal build.

W C W
>===<

You see either way you want wick coming out either end. This ensures you're sopping up juice to avoid your centers drying out.

People also use the method of wrapping coils in wick material externally. It looks like a tiny bird in a nest. Not sure how it does as I've not tried that route, wicking in the coil centers works for me. :)

Here's some more video tutorials on wicking. I sometimes use the Scottish Roll technique, other times I just cram wick in. Not really noting much difference. It's more in how your coil is built, might want to check out the link. It's always helpful seeing how others do stuff and then forging your own path.

I keep it pretty basic, nothing fancy. Again it works for me. I'm sure you'll find your own way though. All I've presented here is just some basic, general advice, hoping it can help. Take and leave what you need or don't.

I'm used to doing all of my building next to the sink.
I have a brush that's a bit thicker than a toothbrush|
You would be surprised how much gunk you can get off of the coils with hot water and a brush even before a dry burn.
I usually scrub them then I clean the inside if the coil as good as possible.
After everything I dry burn lightly and strum the coils with a flat head screwdriver
What ever you do don't ever fire the coils with your normal wattage.
I use 30 to 40 watts.
That way I can get it hot but not molten lava hot. lol

The wire brush does sound like a great idea for what you are trying to do.
You're going to most likely need to take the coils out in order to be able to clean around the entire post.

How often do you normally change the coils?
Also, has this black post issue just started recently happening or it an ongoing issue?
I had never considered this! Tbh I haven't done too much research myself, my fiance just taught me how he does it. I changed my coils fairly recently, but generally not all that often if I feel like they are working well enough. The black post issue has been a thing for awhile though, it builds up after a little while of use. I wonder if maybe I just need to rewick more often... sometimes I let them go a little too long.

Well, that certainly looks different. What is it?
Tobh Atty V2 RDA drip atomizer

Might not want to but I suggest a horizontal build. Not sure if this has any effect as far as the center post. Do know vertical builds can dry out in the center of the coils quicker.

That might possibly lead to more oxidation on the center post. Not sure but it is a possibility. Think I'd try a horizontal build and see if that maybe stopped the post from blacking.

Coil centers drying out quicker in vertical builds is why you tug up a tuft of wick out of the top. Here's a quick text drawing.

\/ wick
|| vertical coil
/\ wick

Here's one with horizontal build.

W C W
>===<

You see either way you want wick coming out either end. This ensures you're sopping up juice to avoid your centers drying out.

People also use the method of wrapping coils in wick material externally. It looks like a tiny bird in a nest. Not sure how it does as I've not tried that route, wicking in the coil centers works for me. :)

Here's some more video tutorials on wicking. I sometimes use the Scottish Roll technique, other times I just cram wick in. Not really noting much difference. It's more in how your coil is built, might want to check out the link. It's always helpful seeing how others do stuff and then forging your own path.

I keep it pretty basic, nothing fancy. Again it works for me. I'm sure you'll find your own way though. All I've presented here is just some basic, general advice, hoping it can help. Take and leave what you need or don't.
Thanks! Bringing the wick all the way through is a great idea. I have seen horizontal builds, but I haven't dug into the pros and cons of all the different configurations yet. I'll have to branch out and figure out what I really prefer.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I too thought it should be horizontal build, just didn't want to say till I knew what it was
Check out a couple YT's on it and mount the coils like they do, and it lines up w/air flow.
The post turning could easily be because of how it's built/wicked.
Also, If you like dripping get yourself more. The mail ban is upon us.

You could always just remount the coils that are in there, as long as the legs are long enough.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have seen horizontal builds, but I haven't dug into the pros and cons of all the different configurations yet. I'll have to branch out and figure out what I really prefer.

Alright. To be clear I'm not disparaging vertical builds. I've tried them a few times myself. Just seems in my case horizontal does better. If you can do well using vertical, get on it! :)

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Alright. To be clear I'm not disparaging vertical builds. I've tried them a few times myself. Just seems in my case horizontal does better. If you can do well using vertical, get on it! :)
never tried verts, it just shows wicking

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hello!

For some reason I've been having a hard time finding any info on this on google, but after vaping for some time on two atomizers now my center post turns black. I know this is just residue from burning and probably doesn't really effect usage, but my fiance doesn't seem to have the same issue. Am I just not rewicking enough? Am I burning too high? Anyone know how to clean it off without damaging the atomizer/using really harsh chemicals?

Thank you ~
am wondering if a
clean coils.jpg
coil master may be the ticket..
idono if it was @misswish or @nadalama that got one yet @MrMeowgi said he loved his...
I have never used one yet kept the pic cuz i thought it was so cool.

click ---> https://www.amazon.com/Coil-Master-...=1&keywords=coil+master&qid=1616711628&sr=8-3

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like building quads on my 545 Big Block rda. Pretty fun and challenging at the same time.

VU Sponsors