Become a Patron!

Can a MVP5 charge off a USB-C charger?

levander

Member For 4 Years
The Innokin MVP5 is an internal battery mod that has a USB-C charging port on it.

However, I bought two MVP5’s. I have two different chargers with USB-C ports on them. And I have USB-C cables from two different manufacturers. No configuration I try either MVP5 in successfully charges it.

When I try a USB-A to USB-C cable, and plug the USB-A end into a charger and the USB-C cable end into the MVP-5, it works no matter what configuration I try it in.

I’m wondering if even though the MVP5 has a USB-C charging port, it just doesn’t charge off USB-C chargers. The MVP5 did come out when USB-C was even less common than it is today.

Has anybody gotten an MVP5 to charge off a USB-C charger?

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I read that the USB-C is meant for you to charge things? Have you tried to charge your anything using the USB-C?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't know a lot about this,,, some say anything :teehee:
1619132881145.png
So if your type C charger puts out more than 2A, seemingly the mod would only use as much as 2A of it. But Maybe not. Maybe if it reads more than 2A, it protects itself.
Type C @ 2A isn't saying much these days,,,but like you say...a few years ago - who knows.

levander

Member For 4 Years
@Vape Fan If I have to use certain USB-C cables that limit current to 2A and other USB-C cables for everything else, that defeats a big part of the point of USB-C to me. I’m thinking it’s time to give up and return this $60 charger and USB-C cables I bought. Because I was gonna go ahead and upgrade the other couple of USB devices I have to USB-C. But I’m still holding onto the dream, kind of... and don’t want to return it yet.

I’m in Innokin subreddit right now asking them about it. And it’s starting to seem like they’re ignoring me. And due to searches, I’ve found out I’m not the only one there who’s had this problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Innokin/comments/hshmly
That was almost a year ago, and Innokin still hasn’t fixed it...

Really ticked at Innokin. It was a bonehead move for them to put a USB-C port on there when the specs they are using, the much more widely adopted micro-USB would be just as fast.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, iirr probably about the time that mod was at least in the design phase, 2A was fast charging and some would still call it that today. Like you say tho, the consumer would go by the cable type and if they had used micro instead of a marketing ploy, we wouldn't be here.

Would be a hardware thing. FW won't up it.

levander

Member For 4 Years
@Vape Fan What’s bizarre is I’m returning all my stuff where I was gonna transition to USB-C for my USB devices (a five port charger, a car charger, some cables... $125 worth of stuff).

But I’m keeping the two MVP5’s I bought. Internal battery mods with big batteries are just so lacking in the market, I still think MVP5 is my best option.

I just tried a removable battery mod for at least six months it was (the Vaporesso Gen) and it never stopped irritating me having to change batteries when they died. Just so much easier to plug my mod in a USB port. Because I already charge few things via USB. Charging one more isn’t any kind of hassle.

The Vaporesso Gen could be charged via micro-USB. But various problems and error messages on the mod started popping up after a couple of months, that it just wasn’t worth it. And I started changing the batteries, which I hated.

These little Chinese companies still have too many problems with their mods. I’m looking forward to the day Sony enters the market.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
@Vape Fan What’s bizarre is I’m returning all my stuff where I was gonna transition to USB-C for my USB devices (a five port charger, a car charger, some cables... $125 worth of stuff).

But I’m keeping the two MVP5’s I bought. Internal battery mods with big batteries are just so lacking in the market, I still think MVP5 is my best option.

I just tried a removable battery mod for at least six months it was (the Vaporesso Gen) and it never stopped irritating me having to change batteries when they died. Just so much easier to plug my mod in a USB port. Because I already charge few things via USB. Charging one more isn’t any kind of hassle.

The Vaporesso Gen could be charged via micro-USB. But various problems and error messages on the mod started popping up after a couple of months, that it just wasn’t worth it. And I started changing the batteries, which I hated.

These little Chinese companies still have too many problems with their mods. I’m looking forward to the day Sony enters the market.
I have a bib Drag Mini that's handy for some outnabout use. Small/pocketable with good run time (4400). I use nothing but batteries at home and just made it easier with this

Made to fit protected 21700 so the ones we use fit easy (and 18650) and the slide spring is easy. Its verticle and 8" from mouse and can insert/remove battery with 2 fingers. I don't vape faster than the charge rate but still keep a few in rotation.

levander

Member For 4 Years
@Vape Fan Yeah, I saw the Drag Mini as an internal battery mod. Voopoo has an excellent reputation. My only problem with that mod is the loud designs on the outside. I’m often in professional environments, And would feel ridiculous pulling out something that looks like it was designed by the Grateful Dead.

The ELeaf iStick Power 2 is about to come out in two versions. One with internal batteries, one with replaceable batteries. But it’s very conservatively designed. If you like the Drag Mini, not sure you would like the Power 2.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
@Vape Fan Yeah, I saw the Drag Mini as an internal battery mod. Voopoo has an excellent reputation. My only problem with that mod is the loud designs on the outside. I’m often in professional environments, And would feel ridiculous pulling out something that looks like it was designed by the Grateful Dead.

The ELeaf iStick Power 2 is about to come out in two versions. One with internal batteries, one with replaceable batteries. But it’s very conservatively designed. If you like the Drag Mini, not sure you would like the Power 2.
I seen that iStick about a week ago and do like the looks of it. I bought Drag Mini as a mobile work mod when the there wasn't as many choices for the runtime. There was the Typhon(?sp), and another oldy that was too narrow. I have a MIrage and stabwood Kodama, other than that everything is 1 or 2 colors.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors