Become a Patron!

Can I safely use my 18650 batteries with these low ohm coils?

Hello everybody!

I recently bought a pair of Hohm Tech Life 4 18650 batteries which I am using in my new Geekvape Aegis X mod, and I was able to get a very good deal on a new mesh RTA, and I bought some 0.13ohm coils for the new RTA, and I was wondering if I can safely use my Hohm Tech Life 4 batteries with those mesh coils. The mesh coils are kanthal. Here is the link for the batteries that I bought: https://www.elementvape.com/hohm-tech-life-4

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You are using a pair so the amperage will get somewhat divided among the two.
I took a wild guess and entered 4 volts as a starting point.
That comes out to around 30amps.
That should put you in the clear for a pair of those cells.

You can enter your regular setting to see what you come up with on the ohms law calculator.
I would suggest not going over 35amps since these are most likely a little over rated.
This cell is probably comparable to the 15amp brown LG 3000mah

1599517651398.png

After you finish vaping the batteries can get warm but they should never be hot to the touch.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With any battery choice for any regulated... you need to know watts law.

So just use this simple equation.

Watts/battery count/3.2v/.85

Let’s say you vape 70w

70/2(batteries) is 35w per battery

35/3.2v ( the cut off of most mods and regulated mods draw more amps the lower the battery is) 10.94a

10.94a/.85 ( most mods efficiency sans non dna 200+) 12.87a per battery

Now if your batteries have a better rating that the worked out math... you’re good to go

Cheers!

Edit: Ohms laws is not used in regulated mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
While amps/ratings/and such are labeled on the battery and advertised on site listings, always use Battery Mooch's ratings when relying on those numbers.

With any battery choice for any regulated... you need to know watts law.

So just use this simple equation.

Watts/battery count/3.2v/.85

Let’s say you vape 70w

70/2(batteries) is 35w per battery

35/3.2v ( the cut off of most mods and regulated mods draw more amps the lower the battery is) 10.94a

10.94a/.85 ( most mods efficiency sans non dna 200+) 12.87a per battery

Now if your batteries have a better rating that the worked out math... you’re good to go

Cheers!

Edit: Ohms laws is not used in regulated mods

Thanks! So then is Ohm's law not really taken into account for regulated mods? Just trying to be sure.

While amps/ratings/and such are labeled on the battery and advertised on site listings, always use Battery Mooch's ratings when relying on those numbers.
Thank you! But I couldn't find my batteries on the list of batteries listed on there.

You are using a pair so the amperage will get somewhat divided among the two.
I took a wild guess and entered 4 volts as a starting point.
That comes out to around 30amps.
That should put you in the clear for a pair of those cells.

You can enter your regular setting to see what you come up with on the ohms law calculator.
I would suggest not going over 35amps since these are most likely a little over rated.
This cell is probably comparable to the 15amp brown LG 3000mah

View attachment 168462

After you finish vaping the batteries can get warm but they should never be hot to the touch.
Thank you for the link!!

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! So then is Ohm's law not really taken into account for regulated mods? Just trying to be sure.

Exactly...

I stated as such at the beginning and at the end with my edit

You just need to know the equation example I gave. It’s how you determine the amp draw on regulated mods...

Only thing good on the screen of a regulated mod to determine amp draw on your batteries is the watts it’s set to.

Exactly...

I stated as such at the beginning and at the end with my edit

You just need to know the equation example I gave. It’s how you determine the amp draw on regulated mods...

Only thing good on the screen of a regulated mod to determine amp draw on your batteries is the watts it’s set to.

Thank you very much for your help!!

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much for your help!!

Oh forgot to add...

A regulated mod is really not a safe alternative to being educated on battery safety.

The peanut between the ears is always smarter than the mod; if you don’t know, ask... someone will know the answer and reply to you here.

And as the old adage goes, knowledge is power

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Thank you! But I couldn't find my batteries on the list of batteries listed on there.
I didn't see your exact battery listed by Mooch either. Unless it's the Stretch but I don't think it is.
Mooch has a blog as well as a YT channel, on FB, and here in the Media section
1599572078005.png

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't see your exact battery listed by Mooch either. Unless it's the Stretch but I don't think it is.
Mooch has a blog as well as a YT channel, on FB, and here in the Media section
View attachment 168491

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With a modern-advanced regulated mod such as the Geekvape Aegis X, the impact of the ohms on the efficiency of the mod is minimal. An quick-'n-easy rule of thumb for battery safety on a regulated mod is to just take the true CDR (Continuous Discharge Rating) of the battery as listed by Mooch in his battery test results, battery ratings and performance charts, or recommended list of batteries... then multiply that number by three. This will give you the maximum wattage number that is considered to be relatively safe to vape on a regulated mod per battery. So, because the Aegis X is a dual battery mod, you can double this number. (Whether the multi-battery regulated mod in question hooks up the batteries in a series configuration or in parallel, doesn't make a difference in any way at all.)

That said, the HohmTech Hohm Life 4 has not AFAIK been tested by Mooch, but I am fairly certain that it is a 20 amp battery, as that's what's stated in the datasheet available for download on imrbatteries.com, here: https://www.imrbatteries.com/content/hohmtech_life.pdf
imrbatteries.com is on Mooch's list of trusted battery vendors, and, on YouTube, Mooch calls himself Battery Mooch. So, be sure to check out his videos on there, and read the description underneath each video to find ones that you might like to watch.

So up to 120 watts is called reasonably safe for what you have asked. Reasonably safe, not 100% safe. The lithium-ion rechargeable typical round cells we use for vaping were never intended to be used outside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit. A damaged battery wrap or top insulator ring can short circuit the battery, which is much more of a safety concern than is exceeding the maximum recommended power level for the battery you choose. A regulated mod's built-in safety protection features does not protect the user from choosing the wrong batteries nor from the user abusing/mishandling the batteries. In addition, the built-in safety protection features can still fail.

As for the efficiency of a regulated mod, @~Don~ has it right. But most newcomers think it's rather complicated, and, more often than not, there's no easy way to determine the efficiency, anyway in the first place so... that's why there is a simplified version of how you can calculate for regulated mods.

I hope this helped.

EDIT: So apparently Mooch did test the Hohm Life 4 after all. As you can see for yourself, it doesn't perform better than the Samsung 30Q or the Sony/Murata VTC6. If you plan to vape at about 80 watts or higher on the Aegis X, I suggest that you go for a pair of Molicel P26A batteries instead, and get them from a place that's on Mooch's list of trusted battery vendors. (This list can easily be found at the bottom of the descriptions underneath each one of his videos on YouTube.)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors