Become a Patron!

Can u recommend a good mech'n'rda

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If u have any suggestions, I'm interested in a new setup where the atomizer hybrid-threads to the mod in place of the topcap, much like the Timesvape Ardent RDA fits &@on the H.Hitter or Dreamer 1.5....or even the VAMP Rig?
My guy just bought a nice looking Rig mod (18650) using it with his Terk RDA - id like to surprise him with new gear. Also I think his terk rda rook a tumble - u know how that is.

I'm all ears if u can point me in the direction

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Something like this might be nice, another , possibly . Hadn't heard of, or seen what you're saying. Probably due to being frugal/cheap. *shrugs* Been using squonkers myself for a while. Got one of the Vindicator kits and like it from time to time.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
tubes:
  • Broadside (18650)
  • Broadside Admiral (20700)
  • Broadside XXI (21700)
matching hybrid threaded RDA:

Broadside Culverin​

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure you'll still be able to easily find any of those, though, especially if you are looking to buy new & unused I can imagine that would prove to be a bit of a challenge. I like my Broadside Admiral setups, in fact I have three of them, but each one of these is hand engraved by Mathew Hagermann. So, I have the 1 of 5 (copper), the 3 of 5 (brass) and the 5 of 5 (white brass), and I also have three Culverin RDAs (the copper, the brass and the white brass). But I'm not selling.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Vaperz Cloud XXX reborn is dropping today.

Black coated copper, Brass and some gray.

Should show on their site by mid day and probably be around $130.

Looks similar to the original, top is not though.

https://vaperzcloud.uk Can see it here til Brian lists them on the us site

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

I wish I could get my hands on one of their 11:11s in stainless like my son had. He offered it to me and I turned it down, hadn't had any experience with hybrid mechs at the time, and I was scared of it.

Vapeology.eu (now The Billi Billi Store) has a few mechs in their Clearance section, but nothing that I recognized as a well-known or popular model. I know there are a couple of kits that come with Centurion RDAs, so I suppose they must be Broadside mechs, and may be worth looking at...although...I have two Centurions and I haven't been all that impressed. May just be the way I've built them.

Also Florida Vape Supply has 60% off sitewide (or at least, they did two days ago), might be able to find something there at a really good price, if everything isn't sold out.

My favorite mech is still a Kennedy Vindicator type 2 clone with a Rebel Recoil RDA. Tube came from FT, but good luck finding the RR RDA. I got mine from the Hardware thread here on VU. I'd take a half dozen of them if I could find and afford them.

From what I've seen, just about everything is hard to find now. It's only going to get more difficult, too, going into the future.

There have been quite a few nice offerings in the Hardware thread lately. It's worth looking there, too.

Just my two cents.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish I could get my hands on one of their 11:11s in stainless like my son had. He offered it to me and I turned it down, hadn't had any experience with hybrid mechs at the time, and I was scared of it.

Vapeology.eu (now The Billi Billi Store) has a few mechs in their Clearance section, but nothing that I recognized as a well-known or popular model. I know there are a couple of kits that come with Centurion RDAs, so I suppose they must be Broadside mechs, and may be worth looking at...although...I have two Centurions and I haven't been all that impressed. May just be the way I've built them.

Also Florida Vape Supply has 60% off sitewide (or at least, they did two days ago), might be able to find something there at a really good price, if everything isn't sold out.

My favorite mech is still a Kennedy Vindicator type 2 clone with a Rebel Recoil RDA. Tube came from FT, but good luck finding the RR RDA. I got mine from the Hardware thread here on VU. I'd take a half dozen of them if I could find and afford them.

From what I've seen, just about everything is hard to find now. It's only going to get more difficult, too, going into the future.

There have been quite a few nice offerings in the Hardware thread lately. It's worth looking there, too.

Just my two cents.

Well it’s listed now, $126 shipped

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VC XXX Reborn is not a hybrid. It is "faux hybrid", or Direct-to-Battery. The top of this mod looks exactly the same as that of the VC Sceptre, so as a matter of fact there is no disc or topcap that can be screwed out of the tube. I.e., the seam that you can see on the top in the pic below is a seam between the beauty ring and the top of the mod.

vc_xxx-reborn-white-button.jpg

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tubes:
  • Broadside (18650)
  • Broadside Admiral (20700)
  • Broadside XXI (21700)
matching hybrid threaded RDA:

Broadside Culverin​
THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! I tried buying a culverin on this forum but guy had already traded it off.
Do u know where I can find one for sale in this day and age? Is it still legal to buy them or shod i expect vapin postal secret police to show up when I hit "BUY NOW"!
Thanks again

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VC XXX Reborn is not a hybrid. It is "faux hybrid", or Direct-to-Battery. The top of this mod looks exactly the same as that of the VC Sceptre, so as a matter of fact there is no disc or topcap that can be screwed out of the tube. I.e., the seam that you can see on the top in the pic below is a seam between the beauty ring and the top of the mod.

vc_xxx-reborn-white-button.jpg
This is also right up my alley for what I'm wanting to buy - not that I don't love the vindicator (I do!), just that I want to buy a direct to battery kit. Can't belive I hadn't heard it called that!

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where is it listed for 126? I found an 11:11 authentic at a great price but its COPPER. And yes, I bought it.
I regularly comb thru the hardware sales Nd recently went on a shopping spree so yeah, I can confirm there are some great deals to be had

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! I tried buying a culverin on this forum but guy had already traded it off.
Do u know where I can find one for sale in this day and age? Is it still legal to buy them or shod i expect vapin postal secret police to show up when I hit "BUY NOW"!
Thanks again
I'm not from nor in the US, but I suspect the Culverin RDA will be pretty hard to find now, AFAIK over here in Europe there's no webshops that still have it in stock. As for the legality side, I think GrimmGreen already summed that up in his most recent VLOG episode on YouTube, fairly accurately.
This is also right up my alley for what I'm wanting to buy - not that I don't love the vindicator (I do!), just that I want to buy a direct to battery kit. Can't belive I hadn't heard it called that!
Essentially, "Direct-to-Battery" is just "mech-speak". :giggle: As long as you keep the screw threads squeaky clean and you remove the arcing marks from the firing contact with regular maintenance, e.g., by using an eraser pencil multiple times per day to remove the high spots (just the high spots, i.e., you don't want to remove more metal than really is necessary to flatten the sharp tip of each high spot that results from arcing damage...), you're not going to notice that much difference between a true hybrid and a Direct-to-Battery, or "faux hybrid". Not when it comes to how hard it hits, that is.

What matters the most when it comes to the voltage drop of a mech setup is how well the metal surfaces come in contact with each other. Aside from the cleanliness, tolerances in the machining are key. Yes, it certainly is possible to increase the total surface area of screw threads by increasing their diameter and/or length. So, due to the fact that the screw threads in a true hybrid connection have a bigger diameter compared to a standard 510 connection, naturally you would expect a true hybrid setup to hit harder as a result from the voltage drop being smaller. At least in theory.

In practice, however, the area in a typical mech mod where the largest part of the voltage drop (or the largest part of the power loss that occurs as a result from the voltage drop) manifests itself is NOT the 510 connection. Rather, it happens inside the button. If someone tells you that the metal type that the actual tube itself is made of also plays a significant part, then I can show you rock solid evidence to support the contrary.

That being said, different metal types do engender differences as for the maintenance that is required to keep the performance up high. A naked copper surface oxidizes really fast, so you want to use cotton balls with a bit of Brasso or similar contact cleaner to rub between the screw threads, and maybe you also want to use some more cotton balls with a bit of rubbing alcohol to remove grit and to remove the thin layer of Brasso that still remains after. But you don't want to keep polishing the screw threads so excessively that, soon, you've polished away so much metal that you end up getting the equivalent of a mech that has poor tolerances in the machining.

For this reason alone, I recommend using only the type of contact cleaner spray that completely evaporates (mainly consisting of isopropyl alcohol and propene used for a propellant). Contact cleaners that create some kind of "protective" layer or residue (usually it will be anti-corrosive electric grease/lubricant) are to be avoided. That's just because these compounds tend to break down as a result from a phenomenon known as micro arcing (not to be confused with arcing) that occurs in the microscopically narrow gaps between the screw threads, and, once broken down, these compounds speed up corrosion as opposed to slowing it down.

In addition, electric grease is a poor electric conductor compared to bare copper surfaces coming adequately in contact with each other.

If you think that the microscopically thin layer of lubricant gets squeezed out enough when you tighten the screw threads, then I can show you rock solid evidence to rebuke that old myth too. What does get squeezed out properly is called air. Those specific areas where the two metal surfaces come in contact with each other don't come in contact with the air. A little bit of oxidation occurs there, each time when you unscrew the parts, as the oxygen in the air is what's responsible for this oxidation. But if you always screw the parts back together again before this oxidation in these same areas gradually grows worse, the air gets pushed out again, and the oxidation process is halted.

That plus the fact that screwing the parts back together also polishes the screw threads, enough to not need to do a lot of additional polishing work on the screw threads. (The tiny bit of metal dust and the oxidized grit that was polished away as a result from screwing the parts together should crawl into the narrow gaps that are adjacent to the areas where the two metal surfaces get squeezed together tight, where it remains until it gets cleaned out with regular maintenance.)

The bottom line is, avoid using stuff like DeoxIT Gold─just to name only one example. And also avoid doing thorough polishing, excepting only when necessary, which should not be necessary that frequently, if you store the parts screwed together tight.

Finally, those who complain about things like certain mechs having a milli-volt or so more voltage drop than a mech that's made from some kind of unobtanium metal alloy are just wannabe vape experts who really should learn how to build better coils. IMO anyway. 🙂

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks again

The kits I mentioned at Vapeology.eu have Culverin RDAs. I said Centurion. Senior moments.

Here's a link:. https://www.vapeology.eu/products/l...hite-endeavor-set?_pos=5&_sid=277e2a98d&_ss=r

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Where is it listed for 126?
I dunno, but the copper polished gunmetal XXX Reborn is listed for $115. I own four XXX mods (the copper, the brass and two aluminum anodized ones), a whole bunch of matching extension tubes (six of 'em actually) and three top sections (the XXV in copper and in brass, the Fat Top in brass). I also own three Vindicator 21700s (the cerakoted black, the cerakoted blood splatter, and the LE "Cobblestones"). I still like my Vindicators, but they hit less hard than the vast majority of other tube mechs I have, which isn't a huge problem for me, but... how hard they hit also tends to vary depending on where exactly it is that I hold my finger on the button each time when I fire it, and, the button can be a bit crunchy, also depending on this.

The clutch mechanism in my Broadside Admirals makes the button throw feel spungy due to the o-ring that it uses, and, the disc needs to be pressed on its outermost area such that it gets tilted to the side so at first it feels a bit strange to get used to it, but then, it hits consistently (very) hard on all three of my Admiral+Culverin setups. And that cannot be said about my three Vindicator 21700 setups. So, the design of the firing mechanism still also plays a major part.

P.S., the drip tip on the Culverin is not great, it doesn't do this RDA the justice that it deserves.

Last edited:

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a Purge bundle for sale - comes with the Purge Skull & Shield mech (28.5mm at top) matching extension tube, rda cap and black 25mm XRDA (fits cap) for sale for $200 or trade. Comes with authenticity case and card.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Purge bundle for sale - comes with the Purge Skull & Shield mech (28.5mm at top) matching extension tube, rda cap and black 25mm XRDA (fits cap) for sale for $200 or trade. Comes with authenticity case and card.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
how'd your sale go? yeah i could look it up myself....

tank52086

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If u have any suggestions, I'm interested in a new setup where the atomizer hybrid-threads to the mod in place of the topcap, much like the Timesvape Ardent RDA fits &@on the H.Hitter or Dreamer 1.5....or even the VAMP Rig?
My guy just bought a nice looking Rig mod (18650) using it with his Terk RDA - id like to surprise him with new gear. Also I think his terk rda rook a tumble - u know how that is.

I'm all ears if u can point me in the direction
Did you ever find a dreamer? I’m currently looking for one.

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am still looking for a culverin rda, maybe a different mech/rda setup. I have recently started vaping an mtl at lower wattage (bc coil @ high resistance). My 1st love will always be the vindictator that got away

VU Sponsors