Become a Patron!

CAP vs. TFA Vanilla Custard

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
( @SteveS45 thanks for the inspiration! )

It's a bummer that CAP VC1 costs twice as much as TFA. I'm currently testing TFA's performance as a replacement. I've mixed a few of my own blends as well as favorites like GOC and Third World, subbing TFA at equal percent. I don't have anything fully steeped yet, but my initial impression is that TFA is quite a bit bolder than CAP. Also getting some spiciness that the CAP lacks. On the other hand, TFA seems to lack CAPs smooth eggyness. This is especially noticeable in Third World, which uses a high percentage of VC. I like my initial results though. TFA definitely delivers a fuller vape.

Anybody have any experience subbing these two front line custards? Lower ratio for TFA perhaps?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you elaborate? What is off-putting about it?
It has some ingredient that I am allergic to which causes loss of taste and oral/throat inflamation if I vape it for a couple of tankfulls.
Also I think it has the non Diketone ingredient Butric(?) acid which tastes bad to me.
At around $13 for a 4 oz bottle of CAP VC V1 which lasts me over 6 months I am good.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the CAP-Camp as well. I think TFA is a fine substitute, but there's a certain flavor note, a certain ... 'oomph' that the CAP version has that I can't replace or replicate.

And I've tried, because I feel like CAP VCv1 is more-or-less a "crutch" flavor. Easy to rely on, makes a good flavor and it's kinda hard to mess up with it. I still use it all the time, though, so... you know.

I'll say that I prefer the TFA VBIC to the CAP version, though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the CAP-Camp as well. I think TFA is a fine substitute, but there's a certain flavor note, a certain ... 'oomph' that the CAP version has that I can't replace or replicate.

And I've tried, because I feel like CAP VCv1 is more-or-less a "crutch" flavor. Easy to rely on, makes a good flavor and it's kinda hard to mess up with it. I still use it all the time, though, so... you know.

I'll say that I prefer the TFA VBIC to the CAP version, though.
Again something in the VBIC that I cannot tolerate.
So for me no VBIC.

I do like the CAP Vanilla whipped Cream though.

Knowledge318

Member For 1 Year
( @SteveS45 thanks for the inspiration! )

It's a bummer that CAP VC1 costs twice as much as TFA. I'm currently testing TFA's performance as a replacement. I've mixed a few of my own blends as well as favorites like GOC and Third World, subbing TFA at equal percent. I don't have anything fully steeped yet, but my initial impression is that TFA is quite a bit bolder than CAP. Also getting some spiciness that the CAP lacks. On the other hand, TFA seems to lack CAPs smooth eggyness. This is especially noticeable in Third World, which uses a high percentage of VC. I like my initial results though. TFA definitely delivers a fuller vape.

Anybody have any experience subbing these two front line custards? Lower ratio for TFA perhaps?

What’s the difference from V1 and V2 when it comes to CAP juice, I just started DIY about two weeks ago have about 70 different flavors and I would say 85% of them are from CAP and 40% of them are V2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What’s the difference from V1 and V2 when it comes to CAP juice, I just started DIY about two weeks ago have about 70 different flavors and I would say 85% of them are from CAP and 40% of them are V2

V1 flavors have diketones, Acetyl Propinol (?) and such in them that may be harmful.
I say may.
The V2 flavors have none of those things in them but have replacements that may not work as well for some taste buds.

Most flavors had none of those diketones and such in them so they have no V1 or V2 just their flavor.
Custards, Buttery, Milky stuff and pastry flavors were most likely to have diketones and AP in them.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
V1 flavors have diketones, Acetyl Propinol (?) and such in them that may be harmful.
I say may.
The V2 flavors have none of those things in them but have replacements that may not work as well for some taste buds.

Most flavors had none of those diketones and such in them so they have no V1 or V2 just their flavor.
Custards, Buttery, Milky stuff and pastry flavors were most likely to have diketones and AP in them.
Or manufacturer isn't listing them correctly. I have flavors that state to be daap free, yet I know its in there, to bad I don't have the money to have it actual tested, people would be amazed how far some manufacturer go to hide it or find the loop hole that allows this information to be hidden.

Anyways, v2 s do also need longer steeps in most cases. If we looking at vanilla custard (cap) v1 its 2 week - 8 weeks depending on the percentage. v2 needs a minimum of 4 weeks by itself already and mostly reaches end result by around 3months. Sure you can use it earlier but results will differ.

@op tfa is a great custard but less buttery/eggy than caps version. However, you can use it at the same ratio but tfa will steep quicker. But I find tfa custard a bit empty if that makes sense, its lacking body in itself and for my liking the vanilla high notes, as well as the velvety smoothness v1 contains. If you want something close to the v1 and keeping tfa as base, add vanilla swirl or vanilla cream (inw) or vanilla cupcake v1 ( cap) or cake batter (cap/fw), vanilla bean ice cream (HS/cap/tfa) or even yellow cake (jf/fw). That will add body to the custard and gives it more depth. If you lacking the butter/eggy note try adding a bit of actual butter/butter cream by cap or purilum.

I still don't like the taste of v1 but regardless these additions should help you finding what you're looking for. Play around with the percentages.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
V1is my usual go to.....but I have been using more of a variety lately. TFA is great, but like others have said, it’s not as full, eggy, smooth or buttery tasting than v1. I’ve never tried v2. INW custard and Fa Premium are also fantastic and don’t need as much steep time. FLV has a custard and a vanilla custard that I need to work with. And now with VT Warm Custard(omg so good).....Too many custards, not enough time.....:D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nyways, v2 s do also need longer steeps in most cases. If we looking at vanilla custard (cap) v1 its 2 week - 8 weeks depending on the percentage. v2 needs a minimum of 4 weeks by itself already and mostly reaches end result by around 3months. Sure you can use it earlier but results will differ.
My Cromwells Custard is shake and vape but better if let sit for 2 days.
No real change in vape quality after that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
V1is my usual go to.....but I have been using more of a variety lately. TFA is great, but like others have said, it’s not as full, eggy, smooth or buttery tasting than v1. I’ve never tried v2. INW custard and Fa Premium are also fantastic and don’t need as much steep time. FLV has a custard and a vanilla custard that I need to work with. And now with VT Warm Custard(omg so good).....Too many custards, not enough time.....:D
FA custard has just a hint of lemon to me.
And no not as rich as CAP V1.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How would it compare to VC1? I don't like CAP VC1, but I like FA, both of them.
It’s more similar to VC1 in the richness. IMO it’s got a caramelly dk brown sugar back end, rich, eggy, custardy. But it doesn’t seem to be as full, I guess is the right word. That’s where it’s more similar to FA. Warm Custard seems, to me, to have both(and without the FA custards lemon taste) with a little extra caramel undertones.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
It’s more similar to VC1 in the richness. IMO it’s got a caramelly dk brown sugar back end, rich, eggy, custardy. But it doesn’t seem to be as full, I guess is the right word. That’s where it’s more similar to FA. Warm Custard seems, to me, to have both(and without the FA custards lemon taste) with a little extra caramel undertones.
At least it has no citrus notes, all I needed to read lol. By your description its like a richer creme brulee?

I'm in love with flv vanilla pudding and inw custard because of the nearly instant steep, but always open to try other ones.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
At least it has no citrus notes, all I needed to read lol. By your description its like a richer creme brulee?
Definitely much closer to that.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks, I'll try a 10ml.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Really? I've never heard that before. I've been using more and more FLV and I'm enjoying them. Is the Vanilla Pudding just similar to a custard or it is a custard?
My problem was that NR didn't stock custard and vanilla custard (flv) as I placed my order months ago, so I went with vanilla pudding, since I'm originally from Europe I'm always on the hunt for more authentic flavors, that remind me of my child hood, in comparison to a lot of americanized imported flavors.

So the pudding did not disappoint, its smooth and has a silky nearly velvety texture. Its rich and for my taste the right amount of vanilla, some people will add some tho. It has a very slight eggyness to it but not as much as v1. Its a bit lighter as well, but thicker than FA and of course no citrus notes. Its a creamier custard you'll find a lot around Europe, were you don't want that extreme eggyness or dark caramel notes. I would say its a mix between a thicker pudding and a lighter custard if that makes sense. Pretty easy to work with, you can simply add ingredients or even bend it to a lighter more vanilla sauce kind of type. Stand alone its great too.

The reason I say instant steep is, that both have the full flavor, creaminess and richness right after 6-12 hour resting. You don't get surprises like other custards a day/week/month later. So since I don't have the flv custard, I can't say I would buy the pudding over that one, but in my case, I'll probably not buy the custard since the pudding is great for my usage in recipes.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My problem was that NR didn't stock custard and vanilla custard (flv) as I placed my order months ago, so I went with vanilla pudding, since I'm originally from Europe I'm always on the hunt for more authentic flavors, that remind me of my child hood, in comparison to a lot of americanized imported flavors.

So the pudding did not disappoint, its smooth and has a silky nearly velvety texture. Its rich and for my taste the right amount of vanilla, some people will add some tho. It has a very slight eggyness to it but not as much as v1. Its a bit lighter as well, but thicker than FA and of course no citrus notes. Its a creamier custard you'll find a lot around Europe, were you don't want that extreme eggyness or dark caramel notes. I would say its a mix between a thicker pudding and a lighter custard if that makes sense. Pretty easy to work with, you can simply add ingredients or even bend it to a lighter more vanilla sauce kind of type. Stand alone its great too.

The reason I say instant steep is, that both have the full flavor, creaminess and richness right after 6-12 hour resting. You don't get surprises like other custards a day/week/month later. So since I don't have the flv custard, I can't say I would buy the pudding over that one, but in my case, I'll probably not buy the custard since the pudding is great for my usage in recipes.

That's sounds very good to me. I find Cap to be heavy and overbearing. Off to the shopping cart! Thanks.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's sounds very good to me. I find Cap to be heavy and overbearing. Off to the shopping cart! Thanks.
I def agree with all of @eStorm’s assessment. It’s really pretty great as a light custard. More bent to vanilla than INW or FA. But not nearly as heavy as v1. Def a lighter touch.....

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been big on custards. This morning I noticed something though. I have a tank that I have set at 30W (Vaporesso EUC SS316L). That's usually lower than my nomal range. I'm getting some big flavor from naked unicorn. I think they use Caps VCV1. What I'm getting at is there is an effect I'm getting. On the exhale I feel like I have some pudding in my mouth.

Is there such a thing as a custard effect? Like sometimes theres a fizzy effect to some stuff. I don't get references about "eggy" either. Is what I described the eggy part?

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I haven't been big on custards. This morning I noticed something though. I have a tank that I have set at 30W (Vaporesso EUC SS316L). That's usually lower than my nomal range. I'm getting some big flavor from naked unicorn. I think they use Caps VCV1. What I'm getting at is there is an effect I'm getting. On the exhale I feel like I have some pudding in my mouth.

Is there such a thing as a custard effect? Like sometimes theres a fizzy effect to some stuff. I don't get references about "eggy" either. Is what I described the eggy part?
I get very little eggyness from TFA, and only slightly more from CAP V1. If you want to "get" eggy, try INW Custard.

I've never tried Naked Unicorn, but I get a pudding sensation similar to what you described from FW Sweet Cream.

mixsomniac

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Had a bottle a of naked unicorn didnt like it at first too much cream but it grew on me, after I diluted it. been vaping lots of custard lately not sure if its in naked unicorn but there is definitly Vanilla bean ice cream which is probably giving you that fizzy effect, it has custard ingredients in it so yes there is a "custard effect" and its easy to pick out now

Zugmaschine

Member For 4 Years
I use 6% VC1 and 4% TPA VC. At this amount i dont get this Backnote from TPA VC, but his nice vanilla and butter notes.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

I used to use Cap V2 custard a lot and it was nice. But needed a good month steep at least.
But, I swear they changed something with V2 custard and it was instantly obvious at the time. I purchased it twice to see if it was a one of but to me, yep, it was different an had a false cheap taste about it. I have never got again after that.
The V2 sugar cookie I still am happy to use. Made a really nice caramel cookie using it recently and am pretty happy with it.
Tried the V2 raspberry, ? and have had better tasting cough medicine. Also had a V2 chock glazed donut and another chocolate boston something or other. Threw them all out.

VU Sponsors