ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Don't think folks remember how versatile they really were - amazing singers

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Reading this thread lately is such a bummer. Rest well, talented people. We’ll miss you.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Heard on the radio late last night the legend Vera Lynn passed away aged 103!
My first concious memory of her, though I'd probably heard her songs and not known who it was, was her mention in a Pink Floyd song years ago which made me wonder then and find out who she was. 103, awesome!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Heard on the radio late last night the legend Vera Lynn passed away aged 103!
My first concious memory of her, though I'd probably heard her songs and not known who it was, was her mention in a Pink Floyd song years ago which made me wonder then and find out who she was. 103, awesome!

That's very interesting. The Wall has always been my #1 favorite Floyd, but I never had a clue that Vera Lynn was a real person, or who she was! Guess it's a Brit thang. :D She certainly had buck teeth, though nothing like as bad as Freddie Mercury's. But I've heard that Brit standards of dentistry/orthodontics were somewhat slow to really catch on, especially given the economic constraints of her era (between WWI and WWII); it's really a bloody miracle anyone survived, and nevermind their teeth.

Andria

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That's very interesting. The Wall has always been my #1 favorite Floyd, but I never had a clue that Vera Lynn was a real person, or who she was! Guess it's a Brit thang. :D She certainly had buck teeth, though nothing like as bad as Freddie Mercury's. But I've heard that Brit standards of dentistry/orthodontics were somewhat slow to really catch on, especially given the economic constraints of her era (between WWI and WWII); it's really a bloody miracle anyone survived, and nevermind their teeth.

Andria
Masterpiece of an album isn't it. My first album ever was Wish You Were Here and I rode my pushbike about 30km to get it. Love that album too. No other band like Pink and never will be.
Never thought about the English teeth before! For some reason you have just reminded me of the Dennis the menace episode with Mr Wilson and the Chiclets!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Masterpiece of an album isn't it. My first album ever was Wish You Were Here and I rode my pushbike about 30km to get it. Love that album too. No other band like Pink and never will be.
Never thought about the English teeth before! For some reason you have just reminded me of the Dennis the menace episode with Mr Wilson and the Chiclets!

Well, I certainly have zero room to diss bad teeth in anyone... maybe my own are one of my DNA throwbacks to the Anglo-Saxons.

That album really is just awe-inspiring. I first heard it in early 80, right after it came out, and naturally I liked it, it's Floyd! But it took many years to really grasp its brilliance. My son recently put it on the USB fob that he sometimes plays in his car, and riding around with him, I got to hear it all over again, and was blown away all over again. True and absolute GENIUS. My 2nd favorite of theirs is Momentary Lapse of Reason. The instrumental on that one, called Terminal Frost, is one of the most brilliant pieces of music I've ever heard -- and I've heard a lot of great music, having studied violin when I was a kid, and a music appreciator since THE BEATLES!

Since this is the Deathwatch thread, I should add that when I heard of Richard Wright's death a couple years ago, I was completely devastated.

Andria

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria

Great song, Andria. I like Vera Lynn’s songs. And Floyd. Thanks.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Well, I certainly have zero room to diss bad teeth in anyone... maybe my own are one of my DNA throwbacks to the Anglo-Saxons.

That album really is just awe-inspiring. I first heard it in early 80, right after it came out, and naturally I liked it, it's Floyd! But it took many years to really grasp its brilliance. My son recently put it on the USB fob that he sometimes plays in his car, and riding around with him, I got to hear it all over again, and was blown away all over again. True and absolute GENIUS. My 2nd favorite of theirs is Momentary Lapse of Reason. The instrumental on that one, called Terminal Frost, is one of the most brilliant pieces of music I've ever heard -- and I've heard a lot of great music, having studied violin when I was a kid, and a music appreciator since THE BEATLES!

Since this is the Deathwatch thread, I should add that when I heard of Richard Wright's death a couple years ago, I was completely devastated.

Andria
If you have not got it then you need to get Pink Floyd Pulse dvd. Its a concert and is amazing. It too is a masterpiece of a concert. Richard Wright is in it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have several origional release Pink Floyd vinyl albums.

My husband does too... Meddle, Umma Gumma, and Wish You Were Here; the last is another of my faves of theirs (by the way, which one's Pink?).

But after many, many hours of listening to all that, I still have to stick with The Wall as #1, and Momentary Lapse as #2. Wish You Were Here is probably #3, #4 is Animals, and #5 is Dark Side.

Andria

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My husband does too... Meddle, Umma Gumma, and Wish You Were Here; the last is another of my faves of theirs (by the way, which one's Pink?).

But after many, many hours of listening to all that, I still have to stick with The Wall as #1, and Momentary Lapse as #2. Wish You Were Here is probably #3, #4 is Animals, and #5 is Dark Side.

Andria
"Come in here dear boy have a cigar your gonna go far..." Awesome track.
When I was young and had that album id get home from my work, first job before I left home, and id see my records all moved. Id go crook at my younger sister "how many times do I have to say LEAVE MY RECORDS ALONE". Years later, 20 maybe it came up and my mum said "no it wasn't your sister it was me. I used to love playing your Pink Floyd records when I was doing the housework. My favourite was Wish You Were Here!". I was lost for words at the time. She obviously had good taste :D
Dont mind Gilmours Rattle that Lock from recent times but I'll admit there are about 3 tracks on it that I thought "nah" you shoulda left them out.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If you have not got it then you need to get Pink Floyd Pulse dvd. Its a concert and is amazing. It too is a masterpiece of a concert. Richard Wright is in it.

I’ve seen some video of them performing in Greece or Rome on YT. Somewhere with ancient statues. It was really beautiful.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
We somehow got off the Vera Lynn topic. Her songs A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square, The White Cliffs Of Dover and I’ll Be Seeing You are great, if you like old music. I do, and she was so important in WW2.

Good journey, Dame Vera. Hope to see you again!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Lisa Marie Presley's oldest son took his own life, reported on July 12. Very sad. He was 27, had Elvis' features, too.
Yeah that took my by surprise a bit. Shows doesn't it that no matter who we are or what we have depression can hit any of us and throw us into the deepest pit of despair. Rich to poor, it has no boundaries. ☹

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Actress Kelly Preston Dead At 57 After Battle With Breast Cancer

Actor Kelly Preston died Sunday after a long battle with cancer, her family announced. She was 57.

“It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my beautiful wife Kelly has lost her two-year battle with breast cancer,” Preston’s husband, actor John Travolta, wrote on Instagram. “She fought a courageous fight with the love and support of so many.”
The couple had three children together. Their son, Jett, died in 2009 at the age of 16.

:(

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Lisa Marie Presley's oldest son took his own life, reported on July 12. Very sad. He was 27, had Elvis' features, too.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/12/lisa-marie-presley-son-benjamin-keough-dead-dies-suicide-elvis/

Lisa Marie Presley's son and Elvis Presley's grandson, Benjamin Keough, has died of an apparent suicide ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us Ben appears to have died Sunday in Calabasas from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Not much is known about him other than the fact that he's got a super-famous family. He's the son of Lisa and musician Danny Keough -- and his sister is actress Riley Keough, who's been in a number of indie and horror films over the years, including 2019's "The Lodge."

Of course ... his grandparents are Elvis and Priscilla Presley.

1594653600440.png

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/12/lisa-marie-presley-son-benjamin-keough-dead-dies-suicide-elvis/

Lisa Marie Presley's son and Elvis Presley's grandson, Benjamin Keough, has died of an apparent suicide ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us Ben appears to have died Sunday in Calabasas from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Not much is known about him other than the fact that he's got a super-famous family. He's the son of Lisa and musician Danny Keough -- and his sister is actress Riley Keough, who's been in a number of indie and horror films over the years, including 2019's "The Lodge."

Of course ... his grandparents are Elvis and Priscilla Presley.

View attachment 164811

Scary how much he resembles Elvis.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Olivia de Havilland - 104

VU Sponsors