Become a Patron!

Cellucotton question

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have gone back to using the box of cellucotton #44043 as my wick in my loop (which right now is the only one I use), the problem I'm having is I have a day to day and a half of great flavor then it's a sharp drop off to very little flavor, since money is very tight right now with medical bills I can't get my cotton bacon prime. Since I started using the cellucotton again I'm re wicking every other day where my cotton bacon could last a week most of the time.

When I first got the cellucotton a long time ago I used it a few times and then started using CB prime, so the cellucotton just sat in a closet sealed up.

I've read that some people say that it's better to wick it a little tighter than normal cotton, what's everyone's thoughts about this and possibly extending how long I can go without re wicking. I'm using the same build I've used for a few years now, dual N80 26 gauge twisted 12 wraps at .5 ohms at 30w.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Thanks
mreeveshp

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That material is actually rayon, so yes, it would make sense to wick it a bit tighter. Rayon shrinks as it gets saturated, rather than expanding like cotton. You're on the right track already.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That material is actually rayon, so yes, it would make sense to wick it a bit tighter. Rayon shrinks as it gets saturated, rather than expanding like cotton. You're on the right track already.
Is it normal for the flavor to drop so quick, when I first switched to it I went slightly tighter each time all the way up to its extremely tight still keep losing flavor by the second day

Thanks
mreeveshp

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Is it normal for the flavor to drop so quick, when I first switched to it I went slightly tighter each time all the way up to its extremely tight still keep losing flavor by the second day

Thanks
mreeveshp

I only used rayon for a few months, but I did not have that same experience of flavor dropping off like you describe.

The one thing I would suggest is that you try increasing wattage some. 30 watts seems low to me when pushing dual coils at 1 ohm each. It also seems that you might have some fairly significant spitting from the combination of low watts and twisted wire coils. I'd be curious to know how the vape changes at 42 to 48 watts with rayon well saturated.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I only used rayon for a few months, but I did not have that same experience of flavor dropping off like you describe.

The one thing I would suggest is that you try increasing wattage some. 30 watts seems low to me when pushing dual coils at 1 ohm each. It also seems that you might have some fairly significant spitting from the combination of low watts and twisted wire coils. I'd be curious to know how the vape changes at 42 to 48 watts with rayon well saturated.
I've gone up to 35-40 and I got somewhat of a burnt taste 30-32 has always been great for flavor for me at .5 but I'll try adjusting the wick and wattage to see if it helps.

Thanks
mreeveshp

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Odds are you burning the rayon. Even 1 lil burnt pull n it is time to rewick

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might want to try Muji cotton. There's even a rather large pack for about $7 on amazon. I've used some cotton bacon. Not been too impressed for the cost. Muji does well enough though even if a bit more affordable. Just remember, unbleached.

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I slways go cotton in rta and rayon in my rdas

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I slways go cotton in rta and rayon in my rdas

Tried rayon in rdas, still like the cotton. Didn't notice a huge difference. What you pointed out 'bout burning the rayon though I did notice. Probably why I like the cotton still. Leastways it burns clean in two and then you swap in fresh. Barely ever use a tank, if so it'd be cotton likely.

Nitol, rack time for this Bozo.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might want to try Muji cotton. There's even a rather large pack for about $7 on amazon. I've used some cotton bacon. Not been too impressed for the cost. Muji does well enough though even if a bit more affordable. Just remember, unbleached.
I'd like to I used muji and koh gen do for a good while and liked it but it will be a while until I can really spend anything with med bills and not being able to work until my Dr clears me

Thanks
mreeveshp

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Odds are you burning the rayon. Even 1 lil burnt pull n it is time to rewick
If it's burning with rayon is that too tight, I have it now just about as tight as I could go, when I did like with CB (looser) it really burned out quick.

Thanks
mreeveshp

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Could also be your tail on the wick job are to long and or thick.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Pics of the build would help.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Next time I take the cap off I will try to get a good pic, I usually only take the cap off when it's time to re wick, I like the loop design since your not dripping onto screws but boy did they make the cap hard to get off.

Thanks
mreeveshp

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PM me a shipping address. Got some to spare don't mind sending out.
Thank you so much for the very generous offer, it always gives me a little hope for our humanity when I see people willing to help another. This offer means more than you could know.

Thanks
mreeveshp

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you so much for the very generous offer, it always gives me a little hope for our humanity when I see people willing to help another. This offer means more than you could know.

Thanks
mreeveshp
As said privately, it's nothing for me to be out. Got plenty here. I'll get more if/when I need. I'm all for mankind evolving. Screw us revolving, that just means keep on coming back around to the same old mistakes, not learned a damn thing.

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried taking a few wraps off your build? I'd try 9 wraps ea. coil. This will give you .33 ohms on your deck with 2 coils. I too vape around 30 to 40 watts, whenever I use a .5 ohm build it seems the coils take longer to ramp up and cool down. 12 wraps is alot of wire to cool down.
I tried cellucotton, never got a good vape from it always weak tasting vape and hated the taste when it singed.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried taking a few wraps off your build? I'd try 9 wraps ea. coil. This will give you .33 ohms on your deck with 2 coils. I too vape around 30 to 40 watts, whenever I use a .5 ohm build it seems the coils take longer to ramp up and cool down. 12 wraps is alot of wire to cool down.
I tried cellucotton, never got a good vape from it always weak tasting vape and hated the taste when it singed.
I'm going to try 8 or 9 when I rebuild, at 30 with n80 the ramp up time I get is actually pretty quick. But when I pull the old cotton out it's usually burned through right in the middle of the coil, so I'm wondering if maybe a couple less wraps will have more even heating, even though my coils now when dry heat right in the middle and work out at the same time just the way they should. I'm just curious if 12 wraps is getting a little too hot right in the center

Thanks
mreeveshp

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just re wicked so got a few pics
8d021a34d161691ba2257fbe06f5db65.jpg
1ab52e752f20e172f84db9ff18d363cd.jpg
b9f8302d47c289b713de3e50735564b7.jpg
71e3286b31e20185de6ece91a9424efb.jpg

Thanks
mreeveshp

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm counting 11 wraps per coil. Wick material is cheap, take those coils out, put them on your coil mandrel and pull 2 wraps off each one then rewick. I used to do twisted wire but I spread the coils apart so they didn't touch, they cool off quicker and run less chance of burning the wick.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to go down next time I re wick I just don't understand why with cellucotton I'm getting 2 days where with CB Prime I would go a week most of the time without loss of flavor on the same deck with the same build

Thanks
mreeveshp

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also made a set of n80 28g 10 wraps a few days ago that I might try since they are smaller. They were supposed to be for someone else but they changed what they wanted so I made them the fused claptons that they wanted.

Thanks
mreeveshp

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just re wicked so got a few pics
8d021a34d161691ba2257fbe06f5db65.jpg
1ab52e752f20e172f84db9ff18d363cd.jpg
b9f8302d47c289b713de3e50735564b7.jpg
71e3286b31e20185de6ece91a9424efb.jpg

Thanks
mreeveshp
These remind me of some of my 1st builds i tried. If i recall i did 2x24(ni80) twisted. 8 wraps dual coil. And it was a hot hitn b#tch, bad flavor and all around disapointing. Buy some cheap ass wire. Watch a bunch of you tube how to vids n don't quit till your building usable coils.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These remind me of some of my 1st builds i tried. If i recall i did 2x24(ni80) twisted. 8 wraps dual coil. And it was a hot hitn b#tch, bad flavor and all around disapointing. Buy some cheap ass wire. Watch a bunch of you tube how to vids n don't quit till your building usable coils.
They may not be some crazy new coil but I have been using these for years with great flavor until I had to use rayon.

I've tried just about every pre made boutique fancy this or that coil and even built most of them but these have always worked

Thanks
mreeveshp

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They may not be some crazy new coil but I have been using these for years with great flavor until I had to use rayon.

I've tried just about every pre made boutique fancy this or that coil and even built most of them but these have always worked

Thanks
mreeveshp
I was going to say something about the coil mass as well, I'm surprised it works well for you with any wick honestly, but hey, you know what you like.

Maybe it's just that you don't like rayon, I know I don't? I tried it over and over, and gave up, it's just not for me. Iirc, it was the fact that I got muted flavor from it as well, but not sure.

What I have found is that all cotton is very similar to me. More often than not I use unbleached organic face wipe squares from Amazon. It's like 6 bucks for a bag that would probably last a few years. Maybe worth a shot?

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got you beat.Went in halves w/ my brother on a log of cotton from TSC. Set us back 2 bucks each.They sell food grade PG there too, haven't tried it yet.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm saving a box of Walgreens cotton balls for when I run out of other cotton.

Cotton balls just showed up in an order that was shipped to the house from Walgreens. I didn't order them, don't use cotton balls for anything, but I said "thank you" to the Universe and put them in the vapocalypse box. :vino: I can do "free," don't hurt my feelings a bit! lol

VU Sponsors