Become a Patron!

Changed to 0.08 ohm coil, mod getting hot. Should I worry?

I just bought a 24g fused clapton n90, and did a 4/3 coil that reads 0.08 ohms. I tried using it in my voopoo drag mod together with my govad rda single coil and I'm running it in 60watts and noticed that my mod is getting warmer and warmer after a few hits. Should I worry? Am I safe? What should I do?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You have a regulated mod so you can run a coil at something more acceptable like 0.15 ohms to 0.25 ohms.

In a parallel mech box you would have the right build.

You have a regulated mod so you can run a coil at something more acceptable like 0.15 ohms to 0.25 ohms.

In a parallel mech box you would have the right build.
Whats gonna happen if i keep on vaping on the same ohms? Am I gonna burn out the coil or will the battery explode?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The PCB will overheat and mod will turn off....... battery is more likely to leak smoke while charging.... wick may get burnt.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Am I gonna burn out the coil or will the battery explode?

No, but if you keep running it at 0.08 ohms then it's working twice as hard as running at 0.15 so the batteries are going to last about half as long as they would if you changed it.

Also charging the batteries while hot can be bad too.
You be best to get a 2nd set of 18650's and an external charger if you don't already have one.

No, but if you keep running it at 0.08 ohms then it's working twice as hard as running at 0.15 so the batteries are going to last about half as long as they would if you changed it.

Also charging the batteries while hot can be bad too.
You be best to get a 2nd set of 18650's and an external charger if you don't already have one.
I just learned that my mod can handle 0.05 ohms as the lowest but I changed my coils last night to 0.1 ohms just to be safe. I already have a 2nd pair of batteries and an external charger, thanks you so much!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just learned that my
mod can handle 0.05 ohms as the lowest but I changed my coils last night
to 0.1 ohms just to be safe. I already have a 2nd pair of batteries and
an external charger, thanks you so much!

I run unregulated or what is called mechs. Find that around 0.30 ohms
with a coil set up, either single or dual does quite well in most cases.
Tried around 0.25 ohms and it was too hot for me, drained batteries too
quickly, yet I use single 18650s. All in though, I kind of figure the
0.30 is a good level. This is merely my humble opinion, possibly some
food for thought or reference.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
With regulated mods, you benefit more by using larger, higher ohm coils.. move vapor and more flavor. Low ohm builds are mainly when you need to calculate power watts resistance and amps (ohms law) for mechanical mods. For regulated mod users, lower ohms have really no benefit since regulated mods work based on watts for power rather than resistance, voltage and amps. (in simplest terms.. you only work with watts in regulated mods and resistance has to be within your mods upper and lower limits)

With regulated mods, you benefit more by using larger, higher ohm coils.. move vapor and more flavor. Low ohm builds are mainly when you need to calculate power watts resistance and amps (ohms law) for mechanical mods. For regulated mod users, lower ohms have really no benefit since regulated mods work based on watts for power rather than resistance, voltage and amps. (in simplest terms.. you only work with watts in regulated mods and resistance has to be within your mods upper and lower limits)
Thank you so much!

I run unregulated or what is called mechs. Find that around 0.30 ohms
with a coil set up, either single or dual does quite well in most cases.
Tried around 0.25 ohms and it was too hot for me, drained batteries too
quickly, yet I use single 18650s. All in though, I kind of figure the
0.30 is a good level. This is merely my humble opinion, possibly some
food for thought or reference.
Thank you! I think I'm gonna buy a 26g or 28g fused clapton later because I'm having the same problem.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you! I think I'm gonna buy a 26g or 28g fused clapton later because I'm having the same problem.

TEMCo sells 28 & 26 awg Kanthal A1 wire at a reasonably affordable price. Here is the link to all their resistance wire. There's plenty of Youtube videos demonstrating how to wind up your own Claptons, Fused, Alien and plain old Claptons. :)

I would suggest probably 100 FT roll of 26 awg & a roll of 250 FT 30 awg. You'll want roughly double the length of the wire you wrap the core/s with. I'm currently using so NiChrome 80 28 awg and some 30 awg of the same kind of wire. Will get it used up and go back to Kanthal A1 for my own reasoning, or Stainless Steel. I'll probably be dropping to 26 or even 24 awg for core wire/s as well.

TEMCo does well on pricing and service, always good quality wire, always superbly quick shipping. :) Any issue whatsoever with them they write it out, any issues, send left over spool of wire back to them and get a full refund. Not get what you bought, email them, phone them, they'll ship a replacement right out with postage for the send back if any. They do business globally so they don't fool around on customer service.

No I'm not an affiliate or paid spokesperson, simply a happy customer. :) Well excuse me, need to go check on something for my wife.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
TEMCo sells 28 & 26 awg Kanthal A1 wire at a reasonably affordable price. Here is the link to all their resistance wire. There's plenty of Youtube videos demonstrating how to wind up your own Claptons, Fused, Alien and plain old Claptons. :)

I would suggest probably 100 FT roll of 26 awg & a roll of 250 FT 30 awg. You'll want roughly double the length of the wire you wrap the core/s with. I'm currently using so NiChrome 80 28 awg and some 30 awg of the same kind of wire. Will get it used up and go back to Kanthal A1 for my own reasoning, or Stainless Steel. I'll probably be dropping to 26 or even 24 awg for core wire/s as well.

TEMCo does well on pricing and service, always good quality wire, always superbly quick shipping. :) Any issue whatsoever with them they write it out, any issues, send left over spool of wire back to them and get a full refund. Not get what you bought, email them, phone them, they'll ship a replacement right out with postage for the send back if any. They do business globally so they don't fool around on customer service.

No I'm not an affiliate or paid spokesperson, simply a happy customer. :) Well excuse me, need to go check on something for my wife.
Love temco wire, last time I looked they were out of 316L SS 28AWG though. They once sent me the wrong wire, when i notified them they immediately shipped out the right wire and emailed me a prepaid shipping label to return the wrong wire. Great customer service!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They have some listed yet I do note a few gauges are popping up that you need to back order it. Notice also they have Stainless Steel listed as non-resistance wire. Worst case you might need to order from Advanced, Stu is on the boards here somewhere. They carry good Stainless Steel wire, as good or just a tad better quality than Temco. I'm not paid by either place. *chuckles* Only a happy customer of both at different times. My apologies not recalling of Advanced's full company name, I'm sure @JuicyLucy knows who I'm talking about. I get lost going to our coat closet here in the apartment. I think it is an elevator or something and keep waiting for it to go somewhere. My wife laughs when I get into it and say aloud, "Engineering."

VU Sponsors