Become a Patron!

Charging over night?

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Admin - I have posted this same thread in the "Electronic Cigarette Safety" section as I'm not sure which one this post applies most to, please delete the one in the wrong place - Thanks!!

Hello all,

I recently got the Kanger Subox Mini kit (AWESOME device, love it) with 2 "Efest IMR18650 3.7V 3000mAh high drain rechargeable batteries" (Discharge current 35A).

I just wondered if I can leave it on charge over night without damaging the device or the battery? If so, is it okay to do so via USB to my PC or USB to the wall plug I got with it?

I heard the Subox Mini has protection to stop anything bad happening but I just thought I'd ask on here before I do so.

All the best,
Iain.

Attachments

• 20151110_201817.jpg
    20151110_201817.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Admin - I have posted this same thread in the "Battery Junkies" section as I'm not sure which one this post applies most to, please delete the one in the wrong place - Thanks!!

Hello all,

I recently got the Kanger Subox Mini kit (AWESOME device, love it) with 2 "Efest IMR18650 3.7V 3000mAh high drain rechargeable batteries" (Discharge current 35A).

I just wondered if I can leave it on charge over night without damaging the device or the battery? If so, is it okay to do so via USB to my PC or USB to the wall plug I got with it?

I heard the Subox Mini has protection to stop anything bad happening but I just thought I'd ask on here before I do so.

All the best,
Iain.

Attachments

• 20151110_201817.jpg
    20151110_201817.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 20

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I could do is merge the two threads, up to you, we don't delete threads

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, merge them into which ever category you think is right. Thanks!

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know in general over charging slowly degenerates the battery life so and forth. In terms of safety I'm not too sure but I do it all the time which I probably should stop :3

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using a charging device when your sleeping is not a good idea. Fire is possible. I keep an eye on anything to do with battery's.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great kit the batteries are alright for now just don't go cray-cray on the sub-ohms and you'll be fine.At some point preferably sooner than later get yourself some VTC4's though.
Overnight charging is is never a good idea even with devices that shut down after fully charging up.The reason being is if the battery has already started to weaken you'll eventually harm the device.
As for using your PC to charge...Not unless you know for fact that your PC has protected USB ports, mine does but 98% of the time I just plug into the wall.
It has pretty good protection but nothing will protect you from everything.
Rule # 2 - Always Vape Safe.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know in general over charging slowly degenerates the battery life so and forth. In terms of safety I'm not too sure but I do it all the time which I probably should stop :3
Yes you should...Please see Rule # 2 - Always Vape Safe.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a few old phones I use as cameras. So I have to leave them on a charger 24/7. The batteries don't last more than a few months like this. So yes, it does take a toll on them. I know its not the same battery and or charger technology. In this case (18650 on external charger) its more dependent on the charger. I have a Tenergy charger that stops once complete, and wont charge if the battery is above 3.9 or so volts.

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Subox Mini had over charge protection so in theory it should shut off when done, is that right?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ using Tapatalk

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Subox Mini had over charge protection so in theory it should shut off when done, is that right?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ using Tapatalk
In theory yes it should.I have just prefer using a charger over the whole USB thing.

VU Sponsors