Become a Patron!

Charging overnight is it safe ?

Dapper555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Efest Luc V4 and i want to charge my batteries overnight but is it safe? I been worried about leaving batteries charging without me being around the charger! I been told the charger stops charging as soon as the batteries are fully charged not sure if its true.

Thank you!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Efest Luc V4 and i want to charge my batteries overnight but is it safe? I been worried about leaving batteries charging without me being around the charger! I been told the charger stops charging as soon as the batteries are fully charged not sure if its true.

Thank you!
5. Over-charging protection & automatically monitor charging: Once the external power is connected with LUC V4 charger, charger will stop charging when batteries are full; if batteries were not taken off and the battery voltage will be lower than 3.9V because of many factors, charger will charge batteries automatically again. charger will start to charging if putting lower 4.18V batteries into LUC V4 charger.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thank you!
They're supposed to stop, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will stop...Personally, I don't like taking chances when it comes to batteries and chargers.

If I did leave a charger alone, it would be outside on a concrete surface, if hell broke loose, the house would be still standing.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Rule #2 - Never under any circumstance charge batteries overnight ever.

The biggest reason is that most decent chargers will charge even a damn near dead battery in about 3-4 hours.Trust me being woken up by even a small explosion isn't fun...Don't ask.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not recommended. I've gotten away with it a few times, but I generally try to avoid it. I do leave the house with batteries charging, though, because I'm secretly hoping one will explode and burn this shithole condo complex to the ground. </sarcasm>

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not recommended. I've gotten away with it a few times, but I generally try to avoid it. I do leave the house with batteries charging, though, because I'm secretly hoping one will explode and burn this shithole condo complex to the ground. </sarcasm>
Just call your local redneck...We excel at blowing shit up. <(My lame ass attempt at humor)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes batteries can catastrophically fail while charging, without it bring the charger's fault, for example if you over discharge IMRs and then try to charge them.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They're supposed to stop, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will stop...Personally, I don't like taking chances when it comes to batteries and chargers.

If I did leave a charger alone, it would be outside on a concrete surface, if hell broke loose, the house would be still standing.
I have always felt the same, I NEVER leave things charging and walk away...cell phones, laptops, batteries in general. No reason to.
Moved to battery section

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
Quite frankly anything with electricity flowing to it or thru it has explosive/fire potential if any components in it fail. Even cars.

I can't not walk away from my power tool chargers and my entire Sales department uses Surface Pros. Just gotta have faith in stuff like that.

As for vaping equipment? With so many knockoffs and cheap alternatives out there, I only feel comfortable with the OEM stuff charging while I step away for a while (and I step away for looong whiles); but I haven't found the courage to leave it overnight like I absolutely have to do my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll shoot straight with you. I charge my 18650's and 26650's overnight in my charger every day. No, you shouldn't for safety sake, but I have not had a problem yet.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
IF the charger works like it should, no problem...IF the charger doesn't, do you really want to wake up to something like that?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally safe? Nope but nothing is.
I have been charging overnight for 2 years.
But then I keep a fire extinguisher under my bed.
I do not charge when not home though.

Dapper555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the info. Ill stick to my regular routine of charging whenever i am home and near the charger.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I had an incident with a nitecore 4 bay that scared me....I woke up that morning after leaving the batteries overnight, put one in the mod, filled the tank, hit the button and the battery voltage said 5.3vdc.

The charger was charging and 5.5.

Trashed the charger, recycled the batteries and now I dont charge overnight.

Check your gear regularly, dont trust it.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All the time I have vaped, always charged overnight, is there a risk, sure, but anything with electric is dangerous, but do you go round and unplug everything at night?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1ed7b4961e3c34dd52bf883acb02634f.jpg

Sometimes I charge overnight
but not normally...I just forget to take the batts out of the charger before going to bed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I do it all the time.

But my charger sit's inside of a huge Pyrex bowl with matching lid.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All the time I have vaped, always charged overnight, is there a risk, sure, but anything with electric is dangerous, but do you go round and unplug everything at night?
Nope but about 98% of my electrical stuff is plugged into surge protectors.About the only things that isn't is our wall clocks and the vent for the stove.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't feel good about charging overnight, so I don't.
Fire while sleeping is one of the few things I'd rather not deal with.
Since this is not something 'I have to do', why do it?

Domniomaestro

Member For 4 Years
I do charge my batteries overnight. However, I put the chargers on top of the stove. The stove top is designed to handle high heat temps, and I have two fire extinguishers in the kitchen.
I do realize that an electrical fire is a scary beast, but I try to minimize the dangers. Charging during the day, I might forget about it and go out. I don't think there is any real way to be safe to charge the batteries, but short of putting the chargers in the oven to charge, I don't know what else to do.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do charge my batteries overnight. However, I put the chargers on top of the stove. The stove top is designed to handle high heat temps, and I have two fire extinguishers in the kitchen.
I do realize that an electrical fire is a scary beast, but I try to minimize the dangers. Charging during the day, I might forget about it and go out. I don't think there is any real way to be safe to charge the batteries, but short of putting the chargers in the oven to charge, I don't know what else to do.
Buying a quality charger helps with worrying about fires and the like as well as using quality batts...with that said I do not need to charge overnight anyway
I have the LUC V4 that can charge 4 batts in just under an hr using the 1 amp mode..I charge my batts often, having multiple mods, but only when I'm awake and able to keep an eye on things...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Having extinguishers is important only if you are present to use them before a fire gets going good.

Forgetting and going out shouldn't be a problem because I'm not looking at absolute fire avoidance.
I'm not wanting to wake up in the middle of the night with a fire in the house.

Everybody uses things that just aren't made as well as they should be nor have any sort of quality control.
Here's a question for all, are any of these chargers you feel safe sleeping with UL listed? Not the CE mark which means nothing.

Rationalize all you like, it isn't safe and you should not be charging while sleeping. Period.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Having extinguishers is important only if you are present to use them before a fire gets going good.

Forgetting and going out shouldn't be a problem because I'm not looking at absolute fire avoidance.
I'm not wanting to wake up in the middle of the night with a fire in the house.

Everybody uses things that just aren't made as well as they should be nor have any sort of quality control.
Here's a question for all, are any of these chargers you feel safe sleeping with UL listed? Not the CE mark which means nothing.

Rationalize all you like, it isn't safe and you should not be charging while sleeping. Period.
Please site cases where Nitecore, Xtar, Luc, or Opus charges had a fire with quality batteries in them charging.

Despite having three Nitecore charges take a shit, none of them were a fire issue. The bays just died.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Please site cases where Nitecore, Xtar, Luc, or Opus charges had a fire with quality batteries in them charging.

Despite having three Nitecore charges take a shit, none of them were a fire issue. The bays just died.

Mine was charging all 4 bays at 5.5 volts...Verified with a volt meter....If it had been anything less then 25r's in it I do believe they would have reached critical mass. D4 is the charger in question... Use a voltmeter, check your gear regularly.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Like I said, rationalize all you like.
I'll just turn that one back on you. Prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that charging batteries while you sleep is safe.
I'll wait.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had an xtar vp4 go bonkers and start to overcharge my batteries (authentic Sonys). Luckily I caught it before it went very far (cant remember if they hit 4.4V or 4.5V, but even then it was still charging 'em). So yeah, even the so-called name brand chargers can go batty. I removed the batteries, unplugged it, and then it went back to acting normal. Did I ever trust it after that and let batteries charge unattended? No way.

That being said, I have an eFest 6 bay that I've been guilty of letting charge overnight, unattended, etc. I also realize I'm rolling the dice and eventually I'm gonna get snake eyes.

Last edited:

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 2 batteries that need to be charged, I will wait until the morning. This is part of the reason I bought so many batteries for single, double and triple use when I stocked up. I have 2 mods in the house in each (1x, 2x, and 3x) mode and at least 4 spare sets for each mode (far more more 1x batteries than 2x or 3x). Batteries are cheap, buy extras so you always have plenty charged.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to keep at least 2 sets of batteries, walk in the door at the end of the workday and change them out, put the discharged ones on charge and unplug when I went to bed.

Now adays I buy Mods with internal batteries and charge them at my desk at work via a mini usb charger.

Most of us are using the finest Chinese Technology made by the lowest bidding sub contractor. If your charging Lion batteries get a Volt Ohm meter and learn how to use it.

And with that I am off my soap box and signing out!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Like I said, rationalize all you like.
I'll just turn that one back on you. Prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that charging batteries while you sleep is safe.
I'll wait.
Sorry, the burden of proof rests on your shoulders.

Common sense tells anyone with critical thinking skills, that if there are no fires from night charging to report, then night charging isn't terribly a bad idea.

Your same logic and lack of critical thinking, is the same one that lead to the "popcorn lung" scare. If you are going to run around being an alarmist, then maybe you should have some data to back your fear mongering.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry, the burden of proof rests on your shoulders.

Common sense tells anyone with critical thinking skills, that if there are no fires from night charging to report, then night charging isn't terribly a bad idea.

Your same logic and lack of critical thinking, is the same one that lead to the "popcorn lung" scare. If you are going to run around being an alarmist, then maybe you should have some data to back your fear mongering.
Two of us in this thread have reported chargers malfunctioning and overcharging their batteries.For a fairly small sampling (the ppl that have read this thread) that's a pretty big rate of failure.

A quick google found this article where an unattended charger started a house fire in WI. Article doesn't say what kind of ecig charger, but. . .
http://www.wxow.com/story/31040254/2016/01/Saturday/family-uninjured-pets-killed-during-house-fire

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Two of us in this thread have reported chargers malfunctioning and overcharging their batteries.For a fairly small sampling (the ppl that have read this thread) that's a pretty big rate of failure.

A quick google found this article where an unattended charger started a house fire in WI. Article doesn't say what kind of ecig charger, but. . .
http://www.wxow.com/story/31040254/2016/01/Saturday/family-uninjured-pets-killed-during-house-fire
Just as many people have reported issues with devices, yet we have not sworn those off either.

I find it funny how people want to be alarmists and jump to conclusions. Even though NO one can report a fire with their charger......

Nothing wrong with using caution. It's another thing to be a worry wart and act like the world will collapse if you charge overnight. Many vapers DO it, yet not one reported fire because of it.

Even IF there were a few fires to report, we don't swear off cars because it's the leading cause of death...... Perspective, everyone should learn it.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there a risk, sure, there is a risk crossing the road, but we still do it, risks everyday that we do, it's up to each person if they want to take the risk or not.

It's the same thing that makes me laugh when people say you shouldn't charge batteries through the device, really? So don't charge through the Chinese mod, as not safe, but use that Chinese charger instead, unless the mod manufacturer says it is not recommended, I always use the mod on board charger, and yes I do that at night too, my choice to take the risk :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still I think the best way to charge my batteries is in a quality charger, (usually under 2 hrs) while Im able to keep an eye on things..
Much like charging the 3760mAh batt in this Droid Turbo2 cellphone..(Motorola)
This phone came with the fast Turbo2 charger and will fully charge the big capacity batt under 1.5 hrs
But again I only charge it while able to keep an eye on it..safety first :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just as many people have reported issues with devices, yet we have not sworn those off either.

I find it funny how people want to be alarmists and jump to conclusions. Even though NO one can report a fire with their charger......

Nothing wrong with using caution. It's another thing to be a worry wart and act like the world will collapse if you charge overnight. Many vapers DO it, yet not one reported fire because of it.

Even IF there were a few fires to report, we don't swear off cars because it's the leading cause of death...... Perspective, everyone should learn it.

What devices, who hasn't sworn off them? I own a few devices, none of which are reported to spontaneously burn.
So, you gotta wait until harm comes to you or someone else before pointing out that an action is stupid? I see.
Equating vaping with driving is a silly way to say 'I have no clue', but it fits your style.
I find it funny how you want to be argumentative about basic safety.
Do you HAVE to charge while sleeping? Not bloody likely.
I am saying not to do something that has way easy alternatives.
You say it's a fine idea to charge commercial batteries not approved for the use we have them for in a charger that isn't UL approved all while sleeping.
So, again, I'll wait for something other than conflating unrelated points and name calling.
I suspect I'll wait a long time though as you have nothing else.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're tagged some mods, what exactly do you expect of them??

Oh and f1r3b1rd is not a mod.

VU Sponsors