Become a Patron!

Check out the PHP for the site

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Apologies for not having the errors listed. Generally there were errors in the PHP, at least when trying this morning 20221130 from about 4 AM to 5 AM EST. The PHP errors focused around running out of memory. At first, thought it was a Firefox memory leak issue. Checked via Startpage. It revealed the error/s were server side. Some of the "fixes" suggested upping the memory limit in PHP ini & the like.

The site also triggered something about a bookmarks.xml containing malware. I chuckled. Firefox uses .json for bookmarks now, and has for a while. Still, I had FF remove the file to err on the side of caution.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I am having problems with the forum this morning too. I PMed CJ again this morning since I encountered the same issues with the forum yesterday and thought it was fixed.
I thought it was my computer yesterday, ran my Malware and the restarted the computer, I have Firefox as my browser.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am having problems with the forum this morning too. I PMed CJ again this morning since I encountered the same issues with the forum yesterday and thought it was fixed.
I thought it was my computer yesterday, ran my Malware and the restarted the computer, I have Firefox as my browser.

It's the dreaded "mv / /dev/null" virus. One day you wake up all crazed and for whatever fuzz brained reason you just want to move your root directory to the null device. /dev/null is akin with the memory hole in 1984.

It is almost as bad as "sudo rm -f / | wipe -36" fault error.

Apologies, always need a bit of levity so early. "Yeah, yeah, I know, I know ... 'Go get your coffee in you, dog', 'Roger, Wilco' ."

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Errors for you.

HTML:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/vu/public_html/src/addons/DBTech/UserTagging/Widget/TrendingHashTags.php on line 53

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65536 bytes) in /home/vu/public_html/src/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php on line 480

Refreshing helps "cut through" into the site. Not sure if related, merely passing along some info. Seems that would fall under terrorism. DHS & FBI see DDOS attacks as such. Well, if your site isn't able to serve users, that's a "denial of service". It's being distributed, too, via the web / Internet.

I'd "make 'em work". *chuckles*

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think it might be a slight chink in the .htaccess file/s of the server. Might be incorrect yet never an issue to double-check, just playing security devil's advocate. If the .htaccess files let someone muck around with the PHP install, you might see errors like this.

*clears throat*

Of course, that's a big flashing neon sign for a signature too. "Oh look, here I am in your server crying havoc." In fair disclosure, if it were me, there'd be no traces left until I took over full root access of everything on the network the server is on. Even then, I'd play being a Casper, a "friendly ghost" that goes undetected. All the sysop might figure is the distribution developers were doing updates, upgrades. And yes, log files would only see that. No a-times would reveal my intrusion. I'd be a wisp, glimmering there and not.

*coughs*

Not me though. Why not? 1. I'm too damn honest. 2. I'm ethical. 3. That's trouble I do not need or want. 4. It goes against "path of the least resistance".

If I wanted a vaping forum site and network, I could "roll my own". I may be capable of doing it a lot cheaper as well, possibly more securely. Yes, can code html/Perl/Python/css/javascript/c/asm/awk/xml. Again though for me, "too much trouble".

Are there things here I might change? Irrelevant. Not my circus or show. I come, take a seat and enjoy as a humble free user of what is offered freely. Yes, I know my demographics are the product, don't mind up to a point. What point I mind, I use stuff here locally on my system to avoid. Got no call or right to "break in", or even suggest changes.

Also, those what know never say. Me, I'm just a goof what knows a little o' this, little o' that. Were I hm, motivated enough to be ambitious, I might be dangerous. As it is I'm "mostly harmless". :):p "Don't Panic!"

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Script errors happen. They happened to me when I wrote scripts for various things. They are fixed now. When this site was messed up, I sent the screen shot above to VU via the FB group to notify them.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Script errors happen. They happened to me when I wrote scripts for various things. They are fixed now. When this site was messed up, I sent the screen shot above to VU via the FB group to notify them.
Yep script errors do happen too. I often foul up on quotes in bash scripts and dots in css.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had that error message too. Seemed fine a couple of days later. I also thought it might be on my end (using chromium... linux version of chrome)
Don't really know much about programming but years ago I did have fun learning and writing BASIC.
Years after that I even learned how to write HTML. Yes... it only takes one small mistake to mess things up.

VU Sponsors