Become a Patron!

Chest feels heavy

I started vaping to quit smoking I smoke light cigarettes 1-10 a day I bought Innokin EZ Watts as a starter kit and 6mg nicotine e-liquid. Every time I vape, I feel heaviness in my chest and kind of shortness of breath it feels like my chest is full and I feel discomfort when I breath in deeply, I tried 3mg no change at all and doesn’t help with the cravings So I opted for 10mg nic salt, that gave me headache. Is this supposed to happen when someone started vaping or is it just me that’s having this issue.

I started vaping to quit smoking I smoke light cigarettes 1-10 a day I bought Innokin EZ Watts as a starter kit and 6mg nicotine e-liquid. Every time I vape, I feel heaviness in my chest and kind of shortness of breath it feels like my chest is full and I feel discomfort when I breath in deeply, I tried 3mg no change at all and doesn’t help with the cravings So I opted for 10mg nic salt, that gave me headache. Is this supposed to happen when someone started vaping or is it just me that’s having this issue.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You need to seek the help of a medical professional immediately! While at you may want to seek the aid of a mental health care professional as well.

You have possibly inhaled toxic metals. From the sounds of it you likely want to push yourself back to smoking cigarettes. You'll likely need the mental health care professional to get you past the delusion that vapers are stupid.

Another delusion you may need to face is that you're acting as a martyr for vapers. You may be considering carrying vapers back to smoking cigarettes through your campaign of martyrdom.

As for inhaling toxic metals. While it is a possibility the risk of it is minimal. Why is it minimal?

Most metals used for coils requires sustained high temperatures in order to release their toxic vectors. Vapers only pulse heat for no more than fifteen seconds maximum, and on average only about four seconds. This is not sustained heat to reach the correct temperatures needed.

There is a valid case that after continued use the temperatures required for releasing toxic vapors decreases as metal fatigues. This though is minimized by most vapers changing their coils with some frequency, maintenance & care of coils, mods.

Yes, some of us do use coils for a bit longer than two weeks. Some of us have some knowledge of metallurgy and awareness of what to look for regarding toxic vectors from metals.

After I began vaping, after smoking 35 years at a pack to pack and a half a day, my breathing gradually got better. Yes, I had to cough out a lot of phlegm, tar and other various chemicals available in the over 40,000+ that tobacco cigarettes contain. After that I felt breathing become easier. I could take fuller breaths.

Out of the 40,000+ chemicals in cigarettes at least 7,000 are highly carcinogenic. With vaping there is not so much involvement with chemicals. Even accounting for chemicals used to create flavorings there are not anywhere near 40,000+. There's also a lot of vapers who use unflavored solutions of PG/VG or just VG or PG alone and nicotine. That further reduces chemicals to around 3.

Been vaping 4 to 5 years now. The only time I've had any issues is when I slid back to smoking tobacco cigarettes. Cigarettes clog up my breathing, congest me in the head and lungs.Vaping a while clears me right back up.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
See.

Apologies if my post reads as harsh. Vapers in general are exhausted from all the do-goods seeming to come "save" us. Maybe the do-goods need saving themselves.

Most of said do-goods have no clue regarding vaping, physiology, metallurgy, toxicology. They also seem to assume vaping doesn't wear a "buyer beware" tag.

That means the onus for due diligence is on the one choosing to vape. Which further means we do at least do our research, gain a bit of knowledge from reliable & respectable sources in the broad fields vaping covers.

Besides which any time one has difficulty breathing, the appropriate response is to consult medical professionals right away. Do not rely on advice from strangers online regarding that aspect of your health. That is not helpful to you or anyone genuinely trying to help.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The e-liquid you are using is likely too high in vegetable glycerin. Some liquids these days are "Max VG" and that can cause the heaviness you are experiencing. See if you can find a liquid that is either 30/70 (PG/VG) 35/65, or 40/60. I believe that will help.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use 50/50 on a MTL innokin ez watts, can i use 40/60 or less VG on this device?

The PG/VG ratio should not matter from one device or another. It also should not matter as far as what atomizer you use.

You might try bumping your wattage up though. The coil in your tank might be struggling to vaporize the juice. That could possibly cause heaviness in your chest, if you're inhaling "uncooked" juice.

You don't want the vapor so moist it feels wet. If it does add more power until it doesn't. Say for example you're vaping at 35 watts currently, try bumping up to 40. Go up gradually until the vapor doesn't feel wet in your mouth.

ETA: Apologies, looking at the mod you use. It doesn't let you dial in your wattage. Ugh. I normally like Innokin products. This one I would say you ditch. If you want to use a regulated device try using one that lets you choose your watts not choose a "range" of watts only.

Again though, watch your breathing. It is something better left to doctors. Though if you're confident it might just be an issue with your device or juice, sure get some advice. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use 50/50 on a MTL innokin ez watts, can i use 40/60 or less VG on this device?

You can use as low as 70/30 PG/VG on many MTL devices. The problem is finding the liquid. I would try a Hangsen brand from Caterpillar Vapes, but please check with them to be sure the Hangsen is still 70/30. I know that's the ratio they used to use, but they may have changed.

I will say that it surprises me that you are vaping 50/50. How long have you been vaping? If you are brand new to it, you may just be getting rid of the gunk left in your lungs from smoking, But if you've been vaping a good while, the problem could be a sensitivity to any of the compounds used in making e-liquid.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can use as low as 70/30 PG/VG on many MTL devices. The problem is finding the liquid. I would try a Hangsen brand from Caterpillar Vapes, but please check with them to be sure the Hangsen is still 70/30. I know that's the ratio they used to use, but they may have changed.

Bright Eyes, @nadalama , can better guide someone on MTL vaping. I'm mainly a DL to restricted DL vaper.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Try a different style of vaping IMO. There are a lot of persisting misconceptions about what causes undesired side effects in vaping. One example of these misconceptions that is fairly common is that high VG juices are the leading cause of feeling heavy on the chest and/or "people hacking up VG". In the vast majority of cases I've found, the high VG content proved to be NOT the real culprit. Just misuse/mishandling of the vape hardware, and wrong choice of vaping hardware and/or mismatched choice of vaping style.

Low/medium power styles of vaping lend theirself better to comparatively more affordable, small and compact, convenient to use types of hardware choices. That is, in contrast to a high powered vaping style at something like maybe 90 watts or above. As a direct result from this, not too many people understand anything much about the latter style, or what exactly it is that can be had from it after you walk the extra mile of doing it right. Not that doing it right will give you the guarantee that you will actually prefer it. Just that, for most, it [the high wattage vaping style] will give a bigger chance of simply fucking it up, because it takes more doing one's own personal research, more time, and more effort and perseverance to get it right, eventually. That is, in most cases anyway, it just turns out that it does.

That being said, I find that high wattage DL vaping high VG juices on an RDA using (decently) handbuilt complex coil builds such as, for example, alien coils that specifically are made from relatively thin Nichrome 80 wires, to me, personally, actively prevents the irritation/inflammation of my respiratory system I get from MTL, restricted DL, and "low-medium restrictiveness" DL. I am using the type of DL that can be accurately described as "only just moderately restricted", with the airflow smashing right into the coils to prevent overheating the coils and juice. My speed of inhalation is virtually the same as how the average person just breathes normally, and, I don't inhale deep. Factory premade coils in a subohm tank just make me want to gag. No exaggeration. But I'm not making any assumptions about what's causing your problem. Rather, I only point out what I have learned from my own personal experiences in cohort with observations made by people I have met, in person. People who like to vape somewhat similar to how I go about it aren't usually very talkative on the internet when it comes to sharing in-depth info of how they all fine tune all the various parameters─the detailed specifics of what affects their vape experience in one way or another, and of how it is affected to what extent. That's just because too many trolls are waiting just behind the corner so, as a logical result, almost all of us either have gone completely silent or have moved to private groups that are buried so deeply underground that the trolls now keep getting all bored as fuck wondering where that might be.

My advice to you and to anyone else who can't get a satisfying vape is: go shopping. Find out what's out there... you'll thank yourself later.

Try a different style of vaping IMO. There are a lot of persisting misconceptions about what causes undesired side effects in vaping. One example of these misconceptions that is fairly common is that high VG juices are the leading cause of feeling heavy on the chest and/or "people hacking up VG". In the vast majority of cases I've found, the high VG content proved to be NOT the real culprit. Just misuse/mishandling of the vape hardware, and wrong choice of vaping hardware and/or mismatched choice of vaping style.

Low/medium power styles of vaping lend theirself better to comparatively more affordable, small and compact, convenient to use types of hardware choices. That is, in contrast to a high powered vaping style at something like maybe 90 watts or above. As a direct result from this, not too many people understand anything much about the latter style, or what exactly it is that can be had from it after you walk the extra mile of doing it right. Not that doing it right will give you the guarantee that you will actually prefer it. Just that, for most, it [the high wattage vaping style] will give a bigger chance of simply fucking it up, because it takes more doing one's own personal research, more time, and more effort and perseverance to get it right, eventually. That is, in most cases anyway, it just turns out that it does.

That being said, I find that high wattage DL vaping high VG juices on an RDA using (decently) handbuilt complex coil builds such as, for example, alien coils that specifically are made from relatively thin Nichrome 80 wires, to me, personally, actively prevents the irritation/inflammation of my respiratory system I get from MTL, restricted DL, and "low-medium restrictiveness" DL. I am using the type of DL that can be accurately described as "only just moderately restricted", with the airflow smashing right into the coils to prevent overheating the coils and juice. My speed of inhalation is virtually the same as how the average person just breathes normally, and, I don't inhale deep. Factory premade coils in a subohm tank just make me want to gag. No exaggeration. But I'm not making any assumptions about what's causing your problem. Rather, I only point out what I have learned from my own personal experiences in cohort with observations made by people I have met, in person. People who like to vape somewhat similar to how I go about it aren't usually very talkative on the internet when it comes to sharing in-depth info of how they all fine tune all the various parameters─the detailed specifics of what affects their vape experience in one way or another, and of how it is affected to what extent. That's just because too many trolls are waiting just behind the corner so, as a logical result, almost all of us either have gone completely silent or have moved to private groups that are buried so deeply underground that the trolls now keep getting all bored as fuck wondering where that might be.

My advice to you and to anyone else who can't get a satisfying vape is: go shopping. Find out what's out there... you'll thank yourself later.
Thank you all for the advise I really appreciated it.
So I spoke to my doctor today her advise was to stay away from vaping for now and see if it goes away but it also could be something else. Because it’s only been 2 days since the problem started wait few days. Before I spoke to my doctor I tried out nic salt 10mg again (without over doing it this time) it’s slightly better then the juice I was using.

I’m open to trying different device. Which devices would you recommend MTL OR DTL with HW for anyone who’s stopping smoking and juice which isn’t heavy.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What I been using as a decent kit.

Squonk Box Mod & U.S.1 styled RDA

Been using this with max VG juice. Will soon be using 50/50 PG/VG juice mix. Simply wanting a bit of change. Been vaping max VG for about a year now. It's okay for me, just needing a change for the sake of change.

I use simple coil builds using a single strand of wire. I usually stay in the range of 0.30 to 0.50 ohms. Build my coils around a 3 mm inner diameter.

You don't need to use what I do. Orly giving an example for direct lung. I also use other kits. As you can see, I like squonking over dripping and RDAs over tanks (RDTAs). I'm sure if you look around you can find a decent mid range kit.

Last edited:
I just want a simple device to stop smoking, worst come to worst I might just use the nicotine patches if the vaping is contributing to my problem.

I read MTL devices are good for beginners who are quitting smoking. Do you reckon above 1.0 ohms are better or lower? The innokin I got comes with 0.8 and 1.5. I also noticed it was spitting juice when I tried using it

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just want a simple device to stop smoking, worst come to worst I might just use the nicotine patches if the vaping is contributing to my problem.

I read MTL devices are good for beginners who are quitting smoking. Do you reckon above 1.0 ohms are better or lower? The innokin I got comes with 0.8 and 1.5. I also noticed it was spitting juice when I tried using it

Well, you can do good 1.00 ohm and above. You can also do good below that too. Since you're looking for something really simple, you might prefer a regulated device. This will help avoiding the learning curve for using a mechanical.

I'm kind of stuck to offer much more advice. To me it sounds like your coil isn't heating the juice quick enough. Usually that's fixed by adding more power. If that's not helping you kind of need to check the wick, coil and that normally means in hand checking.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Which devices would you recommend MTL OR DTL with HW for anyone who’s stopping smoking and juice which isn’t heavy.
You'll be given almost equally as many different recommendations as there are people who are eager to recommend something... if not more recommendations. I only recommend that you don't fall into the common trap that is the wrong suggestion, that there exists such a thing as a standard answer to which is better when it comes to things like MTL and DTL. (Just in case you didn't already know, "DL" is just short for "DTL".) Some people need MTL, some people need restrictive DTL (or "quasi MTL"... for lack of a better term). Others─myself included─need the type of DTL that is less restrictive, and, among all the people who do, you'll find no consensus on how much less restrictive it needs to be to be good. Or to be better or worse. The same thing goes as for how much power is too much and how much is too little, albeit you won't hear me claim that you need to vape at 200 watts just to be able to stop smoking of course.

But, exactly because you don't know how much power is enough for you until you have tried different styles of vaping, including DTL vaping at high wattage, personally, I, had made the decision to just forget about starter kits altogether, and went for a decent multi-battery regulated mod instead. I'd say a fair quality dual 18650 battery regulated mod stands a really good chance of getting the vast majority of people where they want to be. You can still use it for MTL, by screwing on the type of atomizer that has a 510 connector and that is suitable for MTL, and turn the wattage down low enough that it will work with it properly as intended. What you can NOT do is buy a single 18650 regulated mod and expect it to put out 100 watts of power, just like you can NOT vape at 100 watts on an atomizer that is dedicated to MTL. So that's why I vote for keeping most of your options open, at least until after you've reached a few hard, reality-based, conclusions of what are your own personal needs and personal preferences. Like, knowledge gained from experience, by trial and error... for the most part anyway.

I started at 80 watts and went up from there soon after, knowing full well that this isn't how most people would choose to do it. This was on a 25mm RDA. It didn't make me cough. Not even one time. There was no harshness nor irritation of my lungs/respiratory tract, and no heavy feeling on my chest. Yet, despite this, I actually have a heightened sensitivity to poor air quality and certain types of smells/irritants in the air I breathe, especially the air I breathe when I vape. Every person is different, and can be different in a huge variety of ways. For better, or worse. I try to be wary of overgeneralizations a lot usually.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You'll be given almost equally as many different recommendations as there are people who are eager to recommend something... if not more recommendations. I only recommend that you don't fall into the common trap that is the wrong suggestion, that there exists such a thing as a standard answer to which is better when it comes to things like MTL and DTL. (Just in case you didn't already know, "DL" is just short for "DTL".) Some people need MTL, some people need restrictive DTL (or "quasi MTL"... for lack of a better term). Others─myself included─need the type of DTL that is less restrictive, and, among all the people who do, you'll find no consensus on how much less restrictive it needs to be to be good. Or to be better or worse. The same thing goes as for how much power is too much and how much is too little, albeit you won't hear me claim that you need to vape at 200 watts just to be able to stop smoking of course.

But, exactly because you don't know how much power is enough for you until you have tried different styles of vaping, including DTL vaping at high wattage, personally, I, had made the decision to just forget about starter kits altogether, and went for a decent multi-battery regulated mod instead. I'd say a fair quality dual 18650 battery regulated mod stands a really good chance of getting the vast majority of people where they want to be. You can still use it for MTL, by screwing on the type of atomizer that has a 510 connector and that is suitable for MTL, and turn the wattage down low enough that it will work with it properly as intended. What you can NOT do is buy a single 18650 regulated mod and expect it to put out 100 watts of power, just like you can NOT vape at 100 watts on an atomizer that is dedicated to MTL. So that's why I vote for keeping most of your options open, at least until after you've reached a few hard, reality-based, conclusions of what are your own personal needs and personal preferences. Like, knowledge gained from experience, by trial and error... for the most part anyway.

I started at 80 watts and went up from there soon after, knowing full well that this isn't how most people would choose to do it. This was on a 25mm RDA. It didn't make me cough. Not even one time. There was no harshness nor irritation of my lungs/respiratory tract, and no heavy feeling on my chest. Yet, despite this, I actually have a heightened sensitivity to poor air quality and certain types of smells/irritants in the air I breathe, especially the air I breathe when I vape. Every person is different, and can be different in a huge variety of ways. For better, or worse. I try to be wary of overgeneralizations a lot usually.
Well said. I agree.

VU Sponsors