Become a Patron!

Chest pain.

Hy guys Im new here.
So Ive been a smoker for 11 years. Im 28 currently. Never had any problems with it.
Some months ago back in october i started using Logic and blu vapes didnt get any problems with both.
Recently I returned to cigarrets because i was smoking to cartiges a day spending a lot of money.
But this last month i decided to buy a mod to finnaly start quiting smoking.
The first 3 days were fine no problems.
But then i started having chest pains and pressure.
Went to the doctor he says eveything seems fine made some exams everything all right with my lungs and heart.
But everytime i try to vape i get some pain.
And if o try to smoke a cigarret my chest get on fire.
Any ideas?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What nicotine strength are you using? Higher nicotine is more harsh than say 3 or 6mg.when you quit smoking it takes a while for your body to expell all the poisons from years of smoking

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Best bet with anything medical is always consult your physician.

that said, when I first made the switch i has the smokers caugh and discomfort pretty bad. It settled down and stopped finally after my body had a chance to get rid of that shit piled up in my lungs from cigarettes and cigars.

it could also be an allergic reaction to a PG or VG. I and some others have an intolerance to VG. If i use a heavy VG juice i get a tight chest
@Huckleberried also has the same issue. Some have the same with PG.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most commercial e-juice is high PG because they make more money via using less flavorings. (PG carries flavor better than VG)

Could be too much power being applied, dry or burning wicking, etc.
What mod/tank/juice are you using?

FWIW, going from a cig-a-like to a full mod setup is a huge change. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know, I mean back several years ago, juice was made higher PG or 50/50. These days, with the more powerful set ups, a lot of the juice I've seen runs higher VG. DIY saved me in that respect. Because I get the same feelings as the OP with high VG, or even middle of the road, I can customize what I know works ok for me. I started out at high PG and I pretty much have to stay there now.

Hy guys Im new here.
So Ive been a smoker for 11 years. Im 28 currently. Never had any problems with it.
Some months ago back in october i started using Logic and blu vapes didnt get any problems with both.
Recently I returned to cigarrets because i was smoking to cartiges a day spending a lot of money.
But this last month i decided to buy a mod to finnaly start quiting smoking.
The first 3 days were fine no problems.
But then i started having chest pains and pressure.
Went to the doctor he says eveything seems fine made some exams everything all right with my lungs and heart.
But everytime i try to vape i get some pain.
And if o try to smoke a cigarret my chest get on fire.
Any ideas?
I'm not necessarily suggesting you run out and start making your own, there are some juice companies that still customize more to what will work best for you, as for as VG and PG are concerned, but if you have difficulty finding it, then DIY is certainly an option. Felt like a severe chest cold, or pneumonia, but switching using higher PG juice worked great for me.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This same exact problem happened to me, but happened only a few times. It turned out that neither the nic strength nor the PG/VG ratio had anything to do with it... just some juices appear to have a certain flavoring or additive in them that my body reacts to so that switching to a different flavor from the same brand or to a different brand of juices was all that was needed to eliminate all chest pains, completely.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This same exact problem happened to me, but happened only a few times. It turned out that neither the nic strength nor the PG/VG ratio had anything to do with it... just some juices appear to have a certain flavoring or additive in them that my body reacts to so that switching to a different flavor from the same brand or to a different brand of juices was all that was needed to eliminate all chest pains, completely.
There are a few juices that do the same to me as well. Some lemon vapes. Bird brains from cuttwood is definitely like that here lately. Even 3mg is harsh

Sent from a pile of wood chips

What nicotine strength are you using? Higher nicotine is more harsh than say 3 or 6mg.when you quit smoking it takes a while for your body to expell all the poisons from years of smoking
I followed the advice of the staff. I bought 2 nic shots os 20 mg and mix them up with the juice of 40ml

Most commercial e-juice is high PG because they make more money via using less flavorings. (PG carries flavor better than VG)

Could be too much power being applied, dry or burning wicking, etc.
What mod/tank/juice are you using?

FWIW, going from a cig-a-like to a full mod setup is a huge change. :)
Im using a Vaporesso gtx one.
The juice is crazy week winter tobacco sessions

Best bet with anything medical is always consult your physician.

that said, when I first made the switch i has the smokers caugh and discomfort pretty bad. It settled down and stopped finally after my body had a chance to get rid of that shit piled up in my lungs from cigarettes and cigars.

it could also be an allergic reaction to a PG or VG. I and some others have an intolerance to VG. If i use a heavy VG juice i get a tight chest
@Huckleberried also has the same issue. Some have the same with PG.
How can i know if im allergic?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you're vaping a 20mg juice in a vapresso mtl kit. Which coils are you using. There are 2 included and others sold separately. I'd say with 20mg nicotine anything other than a coil above 1.0ohm is going to wreck your throat and chest. I've attached a pic of the available coils for that tank. Which ones are you using and what wattage? I think the mod is 40 watts max. Just trying to figure it out. Unless I read that wrong about the 20mg juice. I'm going to say it's too much nicotine. Even in my mtl setups I only use a 6mg nicotine.

d274fdf628e8bd5bf1cec9beacc84bc1.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So you're vaping a 20mg juice in a vapresso mtl kit. Which coils are you using. There are 2 included and others sold separately. I'd say with 20mg nicotine anything other than a coil above 1.0ohm is going to wreck your throat and chest. I've attached a pic of the available coils for that tank. Which ones are you using and what wattage? I think the mod is 40 watts max. Just trying to figure it out. Unless I read that wrong about the 20mg juice. I'm going to say it's too much nicotine. Even in my mtl setups I only use a 6mg nicotine.

2× 10ml at 20mg/ml + 1× 40ml at 0mg/ml = 6 ⅔ mg/ml. Not 20mg/ml.

EDIT: Usually about 1 ⅓ ml of nic booster remains inside each 10ml bottle after quickly (i.e., "no time to waste"...) pouring the two boosters into the 60mg bottle that contains the 40ml of flavored juice. So if you're setting aside that amount of booster, you only get 2× 8 ⅔ ml at 20mg/ml + 1× 40ml at 0mg/ml = ~6mg/ml. Here in Europe we don't measure the amount of booster that we're pouring. The TPD law has gotten so old by now, we just learned how to eyeball that shit pretty damn accurately each time. ?

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Every vape shop worth its salt should be able to give you a small sample of each (one that's pure PG only, one that's pure VG only). If the suspected allergic reaction doesn't occur after you stick to vaping only one of the two samples for at least a while, that's when you'll know that what's in that particular sample probably isn't the culprit.

2× 10ml at 20mg/ml + 1× 40ml at 0mg/ml = 6 ⅔ mg/ml. Not 20mg/ml.

EDIT: Usually about 1 ⅓ ml of nic booster remains inside each 10ml bottle after quickly (i.e., "no time to waste"...) pouring the two boosters into the 60mg bottle that contains the 40ml of flavored juice. So if you're setting aside that amount of booster, you only get 2× 8 ⅔ ml at 20mg/ml + 1× 40ml at 0mg/ml = ~6mg/ml. Here in Europe we don't measure the amount of booster that we're pouring. The TPD law has gotten so old by now, we just learned how to eyeball that shit pretty damn accurately each time. ?
The juice i was using was 40ml. With 2 nic shots of20ml each.
I onlu used the 2 coils that came with it i bive i was using the 11-20 during those days.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I onlu used the 2 coils that came with it i bive i was using the 11-20 during those days.
So is that 40ml plus 2 times 20ml, thus giving you 80ml in total, or is it 40ml in total, i.e. giving you 40ml after the 2 nic shots were added? If it is the latter, then that probably explains it because, as @MrMeowgi already said, the amount of vapor production is too big to be in balance with the nic strength, or the nic strength is too high for the amount of vapor production that goes on.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Agree with @MrMeowgi, you're probably using too high a strength of nicotine. You may want to try 6 to 9 mg strength.

So is that 40ml plus 2 times 20ml, thus giving you 80ml in total, or is it 40ml in total, i.e. giving you 40ml after the 2 nic shots were added? If it is the latter, then that probably explains it because, as @MrMeowgi already said, the amount of vapor production is too big to be in balance with the nic strength, or the nic strength is too high for the amount of vapor production that goes on.
The juice itself was 40ml.
I added 2 nic shots each had 20 ml so its 40ml +40ml

The thing is that the juice wasnt 20ml it was 40 ml.
I added 2 nic shots of 20Ml each.

So basicaly i should be using the coils of 1.2 mesh?
Since ive been using the 0.8?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For a mouth to lung yes. But also try lower nicotine juice.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Try a juice high in PG content. If it treats you rough go to a juice with more VG. Either way you need to find out which of the two treats you worse. The one not treating you bad is the one you want to use. The other is possibly an allergy causer.

Again as @f1r3b1rd suggests consult a medical pro. This is just quick "dirty" advice from strangers that vape based off our experience. If it's effecting you so severely you really need a trustworthy professional instead.

It may not be PG or VG at fault. As has been noted in thread too, some flavorings hit people wrong. At this point we're not able to tell you exactly what's going on. Better to see that pro and let them sort it for you.

Another possibly to consider, you might have asthma that's not been diagnosed. So yes, it all points toward consulting a physician. Breath and breathing are vital for living, a person has trouble with that a doc is your best choice.

Not trying to scare you but to rather err on the side of caution and common sense.

Last edited:
Its the first one

So you've been vaping at 10mg on a subohm coil. And then you are surprised you're having chest pains.
Im knew at this i dont understand how the nic dissolves and gives x number. Im a newbie.
Thing is the first few days u was fine.
It is normal to take days before feeling pain?
Im gonna buy a new set of coils of 1.2
And reduce the income of nic.
Ive been smoking only juice last few days with no problems

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Here is a link to a nicotine shot calculator:

Are you buying pre-mixed e-liquid in short fill bottles? You are supposed to add your own nicotine? If so you can use this calculator to determine how much of the 20mg nicotine shot to add to your liquid to achieve a reasonable, safe level that you can vape.

For example, if you have a 30ml short fill bottle, you'd need approximately 16.5ml of pre-mixed liquid in the bottle to which you would add about 13.5ml of the 20mg/ml nicotine shot. This would give you a 30ml bottle of liquid that contained approximately 9mg of nicotine, which is a decent level for mtl vaping.

Someone else please check my math, but that's what I get, if the short-fill liquid has no nic in it to begin with.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no idea if this is applicable at all and I haven't closely studied the mixing posts in this thread so I'm not sure what nic strength you're vaping now.

I have a friend who was a horrible chain smoker. She got a fixed power stick mod with a subohm tank, but the shop sold her 3mg juice.

I wound up taking her to the hospital with a racing heart and dizziness. They told her she was having nicotine withdrawal. The low power setup and 3mg juice was almost nothing compared to what she was getting from the cigarettes. Not to mention all the other crap in cigarettes she wasn't inhaling anymore.

Like I say. May have no application to you at all, but doesn't cost anything to throw it out there.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Its the first one
Im knew at this i dont understand how the nic dissolves and gives x number. Im a newbie.
Thing is the first few days u was fine.
It is normal to take days before feeling pain?
Im gonna buy a new set of coils of 1.2
And reduce the income of nic.
Ive been smoking only juice last few days with no problems
So because 2 times 20ml equals 40ml of nic booster, if we can assume that this nic booster contains 20mg/ml of nic, then you have 40ml times 20mg/ml, or 800mg worth of nic. Next, calculate the total amount of juice that you are going to get after the mixing is done. So 40ml of nic booster plus 40ml of nic-free juice equals 80ml. Finally, 800mg/80ml equals 10mg/ml.

I don't know how big your clouds are when you vape. But with a subohm coil and getting fairly big (but not terribly big) clouds, like, vaping at maybe something like 80 watts or so, if a person smokes about a pack of normal cigarettes per day, 10mg/ml is probably about double the strength I would recommend to try.

For reasons that are obvious, the amount of nic you need depends on how many normal cigarettes per day you smoke. But if you're blowing fairly big clouds when you vape, then you're evaporating more juice at once compared to blowing smaller clouds so, the amount of nic that you inhale each puff depends on the size of your cloud. Now, some people (myself included) like bigger clouds. Others don't. Figure out how big or how small you like them, and adjust the nic strength accordingly each time before trying out the next style or approach.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh the high VG thing.. Never chest pain from it but if over 60% VG I start hacking up VG.

Use 50/50, no problemo. Also used to vape high PG juice with no problem, just a bit harsh.

On my being allergic to some ingredients and flavorings used in commercial ejuice.
I learned if the ejuice/flavoring was going to be bad for me, I would get tingly lips after a few pulls.
Keep it up for 1/2 tank and the irritation starts. Ignore the signs and vape it for a day and bad oral, throat and lung irritation and total loss of taste. And takes at least 2 days to recover.

I have a theory that vapers tongue is a much lighter case of my allergic reaction to some ingredients in ejuice.
I NEVER have gotten vapers tongue from my DIY juice that passes my trials.

How I tested all flavorings for my DIY. Well of course using tastes good too.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
but if over 60% VG I start hacking up VG
I have that problem too if I try to vape 70% VG on any kind of vaping setup that isn't the high wattage, fast inhalation, fairly cloudy type thing that strictly uses decent handbuilt complex coils such as alien coils. With round wire and parallel round wire builds at comparatively much lower wattages, the VG gets boiled so slowly that it just gunks up my coils in no time so, I attribute the problem of lungs getting gunked up also to that. It's the vaping style in cohort with the type of coils used, at least for me. Anything below 70% VG starts to taste chemical to me, with only very few exceptions, such as Medusa Pink Diamond, and Illusions The Prophet, for example. Further, any vape that feels to me like it has more than just a tiny little bit of "throat hit" (TH) is what I call harsh. With small clouds and high nic strength, I can eliminate harshness by going for nic salts, but this doesn't eliminate the problem of getting only weak flavor performance and no "oomph" in how the vape feels. Like, it feels like inhaling just air with a bit of flavor added, and that made me want to go back to smoking the normal cigarettes that used to get me to hack up a plethora of mostly poisons. Bottom line: what works for you might not work for me, and, what works for me might not work for you. Just because cows can eat grass without any problem, doesn't also mean I'll recommend to people to eat grass. That's also my theory. lol

So because 2 times 20ml equals 40ml of nic booster, if we can assume that this nic booster contains 20mg/ml of nic, then you have 40ml times 20mg/ml, or 800mg worth of nic. Next, calculate the total amount of juice that you are going to get after the mixing is done. So 40ml of nic booster plus 40ml of nic-free juice equals 80ml. Finally, 800mg/80ml equals 10mg/ml.

I don't know how big your clouds are when you vape. But with a subohm coil and getting fairly big (but not terribly big) clouds, like, vaping at maybe something like 80 watts or so, if a person smokes about a pack of normal cigarettes per day, 10mg/ml is probably about double the strength I would recommend to try.

For reasons that are obvious, the amount of nic you need depends on how many normal cigarettes per day you smoke. But if you're blowing fairly big clouds when you vape, then you're evaporating more juice at once compared to blowing smaller clouds so, the amount of nic that you inhale each puff depends on the size of your cloud. Now, some people (myself included) like bigger clouds. Others don't. Figure out how big or how small you like them, and adjust the nic strength accordingly each time before trying out the next style or approach.
It wasnt manking big clouds i was always smoking at a down wattage. The coil was to be use between 12 and 20 so i was always at 12 or 13.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I usued to smoke a pack a day

Your daily nicotine consumption then was roughly 20 mg daily. Using 20 mg nicotine strength you're getting about 10 mg per every four draws or so, vaping. If you're chain vaping likely you're getting about 15 mg or so. The way the nicotine is absorbed in vaping is a lot more refined, concentrated. You don't have 40,000 other toxic chemicals with the nicotine to dilute it.

My experience

I vape 18 mg nicotine strength. My body's physiology is rather different from the perceived normal. I get about 9 mg per every four or so draws. I don't chain vape. I used to smoke about half to a pack a day for about thirty eight years.

From what I see you would probably be alright reducing your nicotine strength to something like 12 mg per ml. As you keep vaping you might ween yourself to 9, then 6 possibly. From what I read here in your posts, it sounds as though you may be getting too much nicotine.

You don't need to take my advice, or anyone's. None of us know a damn thing anyway. I mean hey, look we kept on smoking even after it was proven smoking killed, and many of us more aware than not.

Some good reading, ...

Tobacco cigarette vs e-cigarette nicotine equivalency

Electronic Cigarettes yield 90.5% nicotine vapor compared to traditional cigarettes.

Ultimately, listen to your body and make approriate judgement based on that. Heart racing, chest hurting, sweating and in general feeling ill after vaping usually points to nicotine sickness, or simple terms you're getting too much nicotine.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It wasnt manking big clouds i was always smoking at a down wattage. The coil was to be use between 12 and 20 so i was always at 12 or 13.
In that case I'd say the nic strength might actually be too low, but there's no way for me to be sure about that. Without knowing further details the problem you are experiencing is difficult to pinpoint, as we still don't know specifics such as puff duration and waiting period between consecutive puffs, the inhalation technique used, the airflow adjustment used, etc..

Getting nic sick as a result from getting too much nic over a short period doesn't normally induce only chest pain, as the dominant symptom AFAIK is just feeling nauseous, similar to how it typically feels when you're having a bad fever, for an hour or so. Aside from being a possible bodily reaction to one of the juice's ingredients, chest pain has also occurred to me only a little while after I had been overheating my coils. This can happen in a number of ways, some of which I already alluded to in my above paragraph. Another common factor is juice not reaching up into the coil fast enough so it keeps getting too dry, and overheats. Chain vaping on a factory premade, or drop in coil is one possible reason why that can happen... it tends to get dry fast, and it doesn't have enough time to cool back down reasonably. But like I said I can't tell from what you have written if this is also your case. Going to a vape shop only helps if their staff is knowledgeable enough to recognize most of possible problems visually by doing a close inspection of the device and by looking with their own eyes at how exactly you use it. Getting professional help from people who work at a vape shop can be a hit or miss.

After my x ray i can say with confidence that is everything ok atm.
My lungs were fine.
Ive been vaping only juice without nic right now but still get some disconfort.
Nothing like it was before though.
Its probably a combination of various things.
The juices, the vg/pg, coils.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My lungs were fine.

You could possibly try vaping unflavored juice. That would eliminate the flavorings having any impact. I also with @Carambrda to a degree, you need someone to look at your gear and sort it out. You might not be getting enough juice for chain vaping. You could try an RTA or Tank and see if that would help.

Lots of different variables to figure out just across text here. Digitize your gear and email it to @Carambrda. He can sort out your gear and explain the issue, I'm sure. I don't mean that snarking or smart ass either, he likely could. I possibly could but I'm not sure I've an email account set up to receive digital gear transfers. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My lungs were fine.
Due to a fairly common (about one in five persons have it to some certain extent) congenital neural phenomenon that isn't a psychic disorder, yet, despite that, can be rather annoying at times, I am more sensitive than the average person when it comes to factors that can induce discomfort or irritation. This neural phenomenon is called HSP (Highly Sensitive Person), which is now an officially accepted medical term.

Whenever the vapor is too dry or something is wrong with the juice or with the air inside the room where I vape, at best I start to get a bit of a sore throat, and start to scrape my throat a lot after. At worst, it also gives me a dry cough and/or I feel inflammation/irritation in my windpipe for some period of time after, and/or I start to feel nauseous and/or I start getting chest pains. One of the things I learned pretty quick was that the type of vape I need for me to avoid such negative issues is a dense, wet, fairly cloudy vapor. Aside from the flavor performance and how satisfying the vape feels, this is the main reason why I avoid tanks with drop in coils, and why I avoid small clouds. I only vape DTL, and vape only on handbuilt (and usually Nichrome 80) complex coil builds with not much throat hit, in a respectable RBA (usually RDA).

VU Sponsors