Become a Patron!

Chicago just passed a massive tax on e-juice

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My opinion: our state NEVER allowed ANY tobacco purchases online, and I see this happening. I KNOW we won't be allowed online purchases of ANY ecig equipment OR ejuice. We are also water locked, too. It's not like we can go for a drive to the next state. Also, Chicago is right next to us! Indiana also has a HUGE tax on eliquid, too. ALL we have is Ohio or Canada, but we know what's up with Canada. I HATE Michigan! Our Governor already has been saying he wants 95cents per ml! OUCH!!!

What the Electronic cig and eliquid stores are doing here are renting space from the Tobacco stores. The tobacco stores know NOTHING. You go in and they can't help you with ANYTHING unless whoever is renting that space has decided to put a guy on to work during the busy times. That is the ONLY Brick and Mortar stores here so far. You still have to go in and smell that God AWFUL smell of tobacco . . . .

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I live in the Detroit area an there are dozens of dedicated vape shops in my area. Are you in a more remote part of the state?

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, it looks like you'd have to head south to Roseville to get to some real vape shops. At least the Wild Bills/Mr Vapor carry some decent liquid. I like Mr. E-Liquid myself.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, it looks like you'd have to head south to Roseville to get to some real vape shops. At least the Wild Bills/Mr Vapor carry some decent liquid. I like Mr. E-Liquid myself.
Yep. Bummer part is I can't drive due to having a muscle disease. I know there is a Wild Bills around here that sells but still he's 1/2 an hour away. Ugh!!! The other stores don't know anything. They don't employ anyone to be able to talk to you about anything. Thankfully, I don't need help, but there are those NEWBIES out there who do, and they are left hanging. Bummer.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
PS. Thanks for the help!!

Reactions: MC5

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Make sure to write that dickhead Rahm and let him know that people are going to be unemployed because of the tax.

MySaladDays

Member For 4 Years
I totally disagree. I tried to quite smoking for 40 years, and I was only succcessful once I discovered vaping.

WHAT are you disagreeing with?

My post said " people will do whatever it takes if they really want to do something"

Sounds to me like you are saying you "tried" for 40 years.......to me, that is doing whatever it takes, i.e., you kept at it.

Until you found something that worked. (my post didn't say people will do whatever it takes and succeed, it said people will do whatever it takes toward doing something if they truly want "that something")

Are you going to quit vaping and go back to smoking now, because of taxes? Most people would just DIY, or order online from another state.

Again, whatever it takes.

By the way, haven't met too many people who tried to quit smoking for 40 years! That is a pretty big mountain to climb, good for you! Did you try every year, every 5 years, every month, every day, every week, every decade, during the 40 years you were trying to quit?.......just curious.

I only smoked for 20 years, and to be honest, I really wasn't "trying to quit" for that whole 20 years. So I don't know what it's like to try for 4 decades to quit something.

I think I tried to quit 4 times, and only during that last 8 years.....the last time (before I started vaping) was with Chantix, I stayed quit for 5 years. Then I had a death in my family and started again, but right after that, vaping hit the scene so I didn't have to use Chantix again. :)

Last edited:

MySaladDays

Member For 4 Years
Some are just looking for an excuse. Funny how so many quit with eGo setups, now most seemingly can't stop smoking with less than 50 watts...

That is a good example, I think.

jeez, we were basically squirting ejuice onto aquarium filter material, shoving it into a metal tube with a 510 connector on it and a coil, and vaping on fixed (non VV) 3.7v devices that had to be charged every hour. Back in 2011-2012. :)

Thousands of people quit smoking and vaped this way.......and got off ciggies

I am a B&M vape shop in Chicago and just got the letter from the City
I am in shock !
And might close up soon :(

So the majority of your profit is from ejuice sales, face to face in your shop?

not from hardware, right?

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
looks like it's time to stop chasing clowdz and get used to egos or cigalikes....if you live in Cook County, IL.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am a B&M vape shop in Chicago and just got the letter from the City
I am in shock !
And might close up soon :(

Sorry to hear that. Might want to try your hand at internet retailing. Hope you got some gristle, it's brutal.

Smokin' Iron

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just another reason why descent hard working people need to get the hell out of Chicago and the state of Illinois in general. Free states like Ohio or Indiana will welcome you with open arms. It's only a matter of time before Chicago drowns in it's own shit and takes the rest of the state with it,

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So the majority of your profit is from ejuice sales, face to face in your shop?
not from hardware, right?
Absolutely. There is no money in hardware. This is true in almost all of retail, not just vape. The margins in vape are in the juice.

Chicago, Chicago, what a crooked town, what a crooked town. People in the inner cities are not used to vaping. But the City of Chicago officials, made sure that Poor Hispanics, and blacks staying smoking cigarettes. Everyone is talking about the taxes, am I pretty sure people living in Lincoln Park and Ravens Wood areas can afford it.

This really impacts the impoverish, my fellow comrades. People are struggling to make ends meet, that is why people who smoke cigarettes, buy loose cigarettes. Because at times, people do not have enough money to buy a whole pack. That is why the "loose square" business is flourishing. Vaping is underground already, its about to go further.

We need to educate people about vaping, and where they can buy vaping products and services.The vaping industry has not done a good job trying to make premium products (electronic devices) at affordable prices.

Jamal

Last edited by a moderator:

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You said: We need to educate people about vaping, and where they can buy vaping products and services.The vaping industry has not done a good job trying to make premium products (electronic devices) at affordable prices.

I say I SO agree! I don't have an answer to that except to list online vendors who do sell product at a good discount. I buy my things at a very discounted place online, and I 'think' our days of purchasing online are numbered, too, SADLY!!! We will be at the mercy of B&M's who will NOT give discounts and NEWBIE vapers STILL will NOT be able to purchase vape supplies. We WILL have to KEEP the Facebook pages up for SURE! If people get tired of running the page, they should say so and ask people if there is anyone out there who wants to take over running that page instead of shutting the entire page down!!! You and I and MILLIONS of other people ALL started vaping to SAVE OUR LIVES!!! We CANNOT let the NEWBIES down!! NOT NOW IF EVER THERE WAS A MORE IMPORTANT TIME!!!

By the way - what was the amount of tax money that Chicago put on their juice? Is it ONLY in the CITY of Chicago or is it the ENTIRE STATE???
Juice IS the ONLY way the states ARE going to get us!!! We WILL be successful in KEEPING the hardware, but it's the juice that is like the bloodline for it in order to make it work, kind of like the human body with blood! BLOOD MONEY!!!!
I sent you a message, PLEASE read it! Thanks!!
Laurie

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Chicago, Chicago, what a crooked town, what a crooked town. People in the inner cities are not used to vaping. But the City of Chicago officials, made sure that Poor Hispanics, and blacks staying smoking cigarettes. Everyone is talking about the taxes, am I pretty sure people living in Lincoln Park and Ravens Wood areas can afford it.

This really impacts the impoverish, my fellow comrades. People are struggling to make ends meet, that is why people who smoke cigarettes, buy loose cigarettes. Because at times, people do not have enough money to buy a whole pack. That is why the "loose square" business is flourishing. Vaping is underground already, its about to go further.

We need to educate people about vaping, and where they can buy vaping products and services.The vaping industry has not done a good job trying to make premium products (electronic devices) at affordable prices.

Jamal from www.gymhub.com
Leave it to the blm race baiting dbag to make every issue directed at only the poor minority.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
....there are ways to vape cheap,cheaper than smoking cheaper than buying your so called medicinal herb...if you can't figure it out you aren't trying to hard.

Thank you for your response. Of what I read, its .55 cents per milliliter for e-liquids, and .80 per unit or bottle. Chicago is trying to rid the vaping industry all together, because they have a very lucrative above ground and underground tobacco business.

Just by reading the statue, there are may loopholes in this new 'tax'. Merchants can get creative and still sell their vaping juice and still do business in Chicago (don't give up--the hell with our officials). You have to fight fire with fire. You cannot be straight with a government body, if that body is not willing to be fair and honest with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Leave it to the blm race baiting dbag to make every issue directed at only the poor minority.

This is going to affect MORE than just the poor. It's going to affect most of us, even the lower end middle class, those of us who try to HELP people, too! This whole thing is SO WRONG! I'm in Michigan, so now that Illinois and Indiana have EXTRAVAGANT TAXES on their juices, the ONLY state WE could DRIVE to would be Ohio - let's see what THEY do! MY Governor Snyder is just chomping at the BITS waiting to slap a HUGE tax on our liquid, and HE WANTS AND WILL GET 95cents PER MILLIMETER!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! "I" can't afford that! We ALL have to find a way to fight and fight back! This is WRONG!
They get us with the FDA and NOW with the juice! Thanks Government! The good 'ole US of A, where the FREEDOM OF THE PEOPLE DOES NOT EXIST!!!!!!!!!! OR IF IT DOES, IT'S TAXED TO OUR DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for your response. Of what I read, its .55 cents per milliliter for e-liquids, and .80 per unit or bottle. Chicago is trying to rid the vaping industry all together, because they have a very lucrative above ground and underground tobacco business.

Just by reading the statue, there are may loopholes in this new 'tax'. Merchants can get creative and still sell their vaping juice and still do business in Chicago (don't give up--the hell with our officials). You have to fight fire with fire. You cannot be straight with a government body, if that body is not willing to be fair and honest with you.

www.gymhub.com

You're kind of lucky with those amounts. Our Governor Snyder wants 95cents PER millimeter! NO CEILING on the bottles!!! If you want a 30ml bottle of juice, then YOU ARE GOING TO PAY "$28.50" IN TAXES and THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COST OF THE ELIQUID!!!!!!!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is going to affect MORE than just the poor. It's going to affect most of us, even the lower end middle class, those of us who try to HELP people, too! This whole thing is SO WRONG! I'm in Michigan, so now that Illinois and Indiana have EXTRAVAGANT TAXES on their juices, the ONLY state WE could DRIVE to would be Ohio - let's see what THEY do! MY Governor Snyder is just chomping at the BITS waiting to slap a HUGE tax on our liquid, and HE WANTS AND WILL GET 95cents PER MILLIMETER!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! "I" can't afford that! We ALL have to find a way to fight and fight back! This is WRONG!
They get us with the FDA and NOW with the juice! Thanks Government! The good 'ole US of A, where the FREEDOM OF THE PEOPLE DOES NOT EXIST!!!!!!!!!! OR IF IT DOES, IT'S TAXED TO OUR DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well this tax is only in Chicago atm. So being a city tax people still can buy online with np. Now the state of IN is screwed they do have to go outa state to buy juice bc they can't mail anything. But i feel eventually every state will take up guidelines much like IN. It leaves use current vapers only one real option stock up. And for future vapers it will make it almost impossible to switch from cigs.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well this tax is only in Chicago atm. So being a city tax people still can buy online with np. Now the state of IN is screwed they do have to go outa state to buy juice bc they can't mail anything. But i feel eventually every state will take up guidelines much like IN. It leaves use current vapers only one real option stock up. And for future vapers it will make it almost impossible to switch from cigs.

It WILL be DIY or NOTHING.

I did not say that taxes will just effect minorities, I am arguing, that we have not mention the Blacks and Latino communities that are affected by Big Tobacco, just as White People are. The minority perspective is barely heard. With all due respect, this is not color issue for you and I-- when it comes to vaping, we are all in this together. The only color that really matters here--is green. That our so called local, state governments, just sold us out to big tobacco.

The fight is not against my fellow human being, the fight is against Corporate America who has every interest to keep us on their drugs. God bless you and I am sorry if I offended you anyway.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm sorry, but what is with the NO MAILING JUICE? I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY GOT AWAY WITH THAT??? I believe you, but come on!

If you need organic e liquids, go to www.gymhub.com I can provide you what you need and match the prices that you are already getting from your supplier. There are loopholes in every tax statue, we as readers, need to find them. I already found my loophole. Thank you.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did not say that taxes will just effect minorities, I am arguing, that we have not mention the Blacks and Latino communities that are affected by Big Tobacco, just as White People are. The minority perspective is barely heard. With all due respect, this is not color issue for you and I-- when it comes to vaping, we are all in this together. The only color that really matters here--is green. That our so called local, state governments, just sold us out to big tobacco.

The fight is not against my fellow human being, the fight is against Corporate America who has every interest to keep us on their drugs. God bless you and I am sorry if I offended you anyway.

No, no offense to me at all. I just feel that if the lower middle class and above who tries to help ANYONE who can't afford vaping items, this even puts US out of being able to help ANYONE! This is NOT AMERICA!!!!

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you need organic e liquids, go to www.gymhub.com I can provide you what you need and match the prices that you are already getting from your supplier. There are loopholes in every tax statue, we as readers, need to find them. I already found my loophole. Thank you.

You're in my address book and a HUGE THANK YOU!!! You should probably delete that post so no one sees in particular positions sees it. TROLLS!!!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I can agree with that this is def a human issue. The only way change will happen is if we all stand together united.

You're in my address book and a HUGE THANK YOU!!! You should probably delete that post so no one sees in particular positions sees it. TROLLS!!!
I am not ashamed of what I do to feed my family. I sell organic E juice. No shame in my game. Power to the people, not power to people who are afraid of government.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am not ashamed of what I do to feed my family. I sell organic E juice. No shame in my game. Power to the people, not power to people who are afraid of government.

I LOVE your outlook gymhub! Thanks! Made me feel a LOT better reading that!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
He's a Bernie supporter...there are no poor white people in America didn't you know that.....comrade.
Haha pulse your so awesomely an asshole. I don't buy into the political theatre myself. It's just another diversionary tactic. If there was a decent 3rd party candidate i might get involved. Sadly even if there was they'd never get elected no matter how many of use voted.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I guess I should say I feel a little clausterphobic (sp?) being here in Michigan. We are water locked! The Governor KNOWS this, and takes advantage of us! We are/were one of the HIGHEST taxed states, next to New York when it came to cigarettes WAY back when I was smoking. I was rolling my own until they caught win of that! Geeze, you know! Damned if we did! They taxed the HELL out of that, too! SO SICK of not being able to fight him back at ALL! Then being disabled, it HURTS to ride in any vehicle for me, causes muscle spasms instantaneously - the moment the car moves! I know how to DIY - learned that as SOON as I started vaping in case they tried to take our stuff away! I only use one flavor except in the summer I like lemonade!

Yes, I am a Bernie Supporter.

80% of jobs in this country are provided by small businesses. When government puts regulation to stop small business than the whole economy is stagnated or depressed. That being said, Tobacco companies have been trying hard to destroy the Electronic Cigarette industry. They know, if they do not fight us, e-cig industries will take over. Its basic economics my friend.

This is not about the health of teenagers or adults, this is about Big Tobacco flexing their muscles. They will go to war to the very end with the vaping industry, because the outcome is simple. Fight the vaping industry, or die a slow death. I hope the tobacco companies get the latter of this formula.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha pulse your so awesomely an asshole. I don't buy into the political theatre myself. It's just another diversionary tactic. If there was a decent 3rd party candidate i might get involved. Sadly even if there was they'd never get elected no matter how many of use voted.

I am still trying to figure out HOW Donald Trump is running for president??? BEAT MY HEAD AGAINST A WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable! Even the other candidates! This election SUCKS!!! I wish WE as the People could REFUSE the people who are running!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm sorry, but what is with the NO MAILING JUICE? I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY GOT AWAY WITH THAT??? I believe you, but come on!
That actually has to do with the fact that under age kids could order online without needing to show any form of id. This one i actually kinda get bc as kids my friends and i did the same thing with booze.

lauriehere

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That actually has to do with the fact that under age kids could order online without needing to show any form of id. This one i actually kinda get bc as kids my friends and i did the same thing with booze.

There MUST be SOME way of verifying with a driver's license or a state ID. There MUST be a way! OR NEW SOFTWARE NEEDS to be made just for THIS type of thing! Someone somewhere WILL write a program the MORE they see a NEED for it! They stand to make a killing off the proceeds!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am still trying to figure out HOW Donald Trump is running for president??? BEAT MY HEAD AGAINST A WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable! Even the other candidates! This election SUCKS!!! I wish WE as the People could REFUSE the people who are running!
I find it very believable Trump is not only running but winning...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I am a Bernie Supporter.

80% of jobs in this country are provided by small businesses. When government puts regulation to stop small business than the whole economy is stagnated or depressed. That being said, Tobacco companies have been trying hard to destroy the Electronic Cigarette industry. They know, if they do not fight us, e-cig industries will take over. Its basic economics my friend.

This is not about the health of teenagers or adults, this is about Big Tobacco flexing their muscles. They will go to war to the very end with the vaping industry, because the outcome is simple. Fight the vaping industry, or die a slow death. I hope the tobacco companies get the latter of this formula.
and yet you just can't seem to realize that the Political Party that Bernie belongs to is the same party that is leading the war on vaping.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

if a third party candidate got anywhere near the WH he'd have a lethal accident while shaving one morning.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
if a third party candidate got anywhere near the WH he'd have a lethal accident while shaving one morning.
Or the increasingly common 3 shot suicide.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
really you're not afraid of a goverment, that has the largest domestic spy network in history,where the head of state goes around toppeling forgien goverments and installing al queda like in Libya, a goverment where the president thinks drone attacks are a video game,where a healthy alternative to smoking is surpressed for the uber rich......you're not afraid of that goverment.

VU Sponsors