Become a Patron!
Hi Guys,

So I'm up for an upgrade and i'd like to take your opinion on some mods i'm considering. I currently have the Smok AL85 with the aspire quad-flex rtda.

Mods under consideration:

1-Geek Vape Aegis
2-Tesla Nano 120
3-Tesla WYE
4-Vaperesso Revenger Mod
5-Smoant Charon

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
4 out of the 5 are really good choices. I omitted the Revenger as I really don't know much about it.

#2 or #3. The WYE is super light weight. The Tesla Nano is heavy. Figure out what you prefer and omit the other 1. I'm guessing the WYE is better 4 you if you are coming from the AL85.

The Charon is also very good. But it has a big form factor and may not feel good in the hand.

The Aegis is supposed to be pretty durable. If you're rough with your mods than it's ideal.
It also has a good form factor. Fits great in the hand. It takes a 26650 battery. So if you don't have that size battery, buy it with the battery included.

Like I said 4 of the 5 are well regarded; the 5th might also be able great mod. But i don't know much about it.
Just figure out what's best for you and enjoy. Maybe get 2. That's what i always seem to do.

Last edited:
I prefer Aegis then WYE then Revenger, i'm using all of them, Solid !

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
thanks, the thing is I'm a bit hesitant. almost all of them are good but how do you choose then? :D
how is the Aegis's single battery treating you?

4 out of the 5 are really good choices. I omitted the Revenger as I really don't know much about it.

#2 or #3. The WYE is super light weight. The Tesla Nano is heavy. Figure out what you prefer and omit the other 1. I'm guessing the WYE is better 4 you if you are coming from the AL85.

The Charon is also very good. But it has a big form factor and may not feel good in the hand.

The Aegis is supposed to be pretty durable. If you're rough with your mods than it's ideal.
It also has a good form factor. Fits great in the hand. It takes a 26650 battery. So if you don't have that size battery, buy it with the battery included.

Like I said 4 of the 5 are well regarded; the 5th might also be able great mod. But o don't know much about it.
Just figure out what's best for you and enjoy. Maybe get 2. That's what i always seem to do.

well said, I think I've to hold the tesla's with batteries to see which is more comfortable. but I think the tesla nano is the most pocket friendly, what do you think?

zamylbey

Member For 4 Years
thanks, the thing is I'm a bit hesitant. almost all of them are good but how do you choose then? :D
how is the Aegis's single battery treating you?
Aegis itself quite heavy than Revenger dual batt, but so powerful and easier to operate by menu. I prefer Revenger than Aegis for heat dissipation cause the Aegis have no vent hole at all. I use WYE because it's so lightweight, better chip than Tesla Nano.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
well said, I think I've to hold the tesla's with batteries to see which is more comfortable. but I think the tesla nano is the most pocket friendly, what do you think?
I have the tesla nano. Love it. But i got it because of the looks. Love that steampunk design. Biggest head-turner I have.
But it's heavy. Not pocket friendly at all. Especially for someone coming from a al85. If I could only have 1 device, it wouldn't be this one. But hey, who only has 1 vape mod? Hehe.
Aegis itself quite heavy than Revenger dual batt, but so powerful and easier to operate by menu. I prefer Revenger than Aegis for heat dissipation cause the Aegis have no vent hole at all. I use WYE because it's so lightweight, better chip than Tesla Nano.

Totally agree with you. I got the aegis as I work in SE Asia and sometimes I get caught in some serious rain. I want a mod that I don't have to worry about. So a little extra weight is ok by me. And I also like 26650 devices as they fit my style of Vaping.
I might pick up the WYE because it's pretty cool. But I have so many 2x 18650 devices right now.

have you guys heard about Aegis's TC error?, resistance flickers and might cause higher temps than set. is it worth is then if i could only use it in Wattage mode?

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
have you guys heard about Aegis's TC error?, resistance flickers and might cause higher temps than set. is it worth is then if i could only use it in Wattage mode?
I have devices I run in tc and others i don't. Personally, I think tc is overblown. With a lot of mods now (like the aegis), you can use a custom power curve. This allows you to set the wattage for each second (or other time increment) of the vape. It mimics the benefit of tc.

To use tc you have to use stainless steel, titanium, or nickel wire. Not the easiest to find with pre-made coils.

I have devices I run in tc and others i don't. Personally, I think tc is overblown. With a lot of mods now (like the aegis), you can use a custom power curve. This allows you to set the wattage for each second (or other time increment) of the vape. It mimics the benefit of tc.

To use tc you have to use stainless steel, titanium, or nickel wire. Not the easiest to find with pre-made coils.

That's a great pint on the power curve vs. TC.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am strictly using power curves now. For some reason I found that easier than setting up the TC. I also like how it vapes.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am strictly using power curves now. For some reason I found that easier than setting up the TC. I also like how it vapes.
If I'm not using one of my mechs, then either it's a PWM potentiometer mod (Surric X-Vault), or it's the power curves in ArcticFox on the RX300. I won't use anything else unless maybe if you can invent something brand spanking new... as I don't intend to, every single time when I simply want to change the wattage I'm vaping at, edit one by one all the wattage values that make up the power curve I'm using for preheat. So because ArcticFox uses percentage values instead of wattage values to make up the curve, the mod automagically adjusts the power curve according to the wattage I set the mod to. Any regulated mod that cannot do this has to be a PWM mod or else I won't use the mod, and, if this regulated mod isn't a PWM mod, then I much prefer it to be a 4-battery mod─because typically the power output starts already dropping off long before the batteries are running low so then the preheat just disappears. :p Setting up the TC is a major no no to me, too.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I only tc on dna devices now. With the success of power curves, I doubt I'll buy another dna mod again. For me, it's not worth the extra $$.
Now I only buy devices with power curve feature. But most mid-price ($50-$100) mods come with it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only tc on dna devices now. With the success of power curves, I doubt I'll buy another dna mod again. For me, it's not worth the extra $$.
Now I only buy devices with power curve feature. But most mid-price ($50-$100) mods come with it.
At worst, TC just kills the "oomph" so it makes for an anemic vape experience. At best, it vapes exactly the same for me as a power curve... because I remember to re-drip on time I never get dry hits. But power curves are a lot easier/faster to set up compared to TC. And, in ArcticFox firmware, power curves are lot easier/faster to use compared to other mods that can also support power curves. Because like I said... percentage values instead of wattage values to make up the power curve. Once you've grown accustomed to that, there really is no going back. So much so, I would now be using strictly mechs and PWM potentiometer mods.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of them I'd say tesla nano & smoant charon, my local store as the tesla wye & I can get discount cos my mate works there but I'm not sure I'd like a mod that is so light. That's just my personal opinion, some may find the charon an tesla too heavy but I don't.
I say go with one you think you'd like the most as your gonna get different recommendations off different people.
I don't own the geekvape or revenger so wouldn't like to say what I think of it.
I have read reviews but I don't like to suggest something unless I own it

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have read reviews but I don't like to suggest something unless I own it
I own only five regulated mods, but I have access to a fair number of mods that I don't own. Borrowing someone else's mod is not the same thing as owning it myself, but fortunately, it is still nevertheless very easy for me to find out the reason why the mod is not worth buying for me.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own only five regulated mods, but I have access to a fair number of mods that I don't own. Borrowing someone else's mod is not the same thing as owning it myself, but fortunately, it is still nevertheless very easy for me to find out the reason why the mod is not worth buying for me.
I have way too many!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have way too many!
I don't, but that's only because most of the time I'm using a few mechs from my small collection and nothing else. At first I was highly skeptical towards mechs... until I tried dual coil alien builds at .1 - .11 ohms on a single battery tube mech with a Sony VTC5A so right now I'm vaping Pacha Mama strawberry guava jackfruit juice on this setup:

anarchist.jpg

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't, but that's only because most of the time I'm using a few mechs from my small collection and nothing else. At first I was highly skeptical towards mechs... until I tried dual coil alien builds at .1 - .11 ohms on a single battery tube mech with a Sony VTC5A so right now I'm vaping Pacha Mama strawberry guava jackfruit juice on this setup:

View attachment 90353
That looks really nice! I don't own a mech yet but getting one soon :) I have 20 regulated mods but mainly use one of them which is the nx100. Aspire actually have pretty good chips. Smok, wismec/joyetech/eleaf are no where near the same performance.
I have a tesla nano steampunk that I'm pretty impressed with too.
Rest of my mods are just shit!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have Charon tc and Adjustable. I like both very much and use daily.
My mate recently lent me a battlestar an charon to do some tests on for him & now I want to buy both of them. They were both a pleasure to use. Better than alot of the mods I have!
The only thing that's come close is nx100, tesla nano steampunk and minikin V2 for mods under 100 these can't be beat.
I do alot of tests on mods so I'm not being picky I'm just pointing out facts.
Too many mods that are garbage, I mean the only decent mods smok have done are xcube ultra an G-Priv. Companies should bring out less mods like smoant do an focus on performance an durability.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'd have a Battlestar if I still did factory work. That mod can take some abuse. Have a friend has had his since they came out and still going strong. He works in construction and has dropped off half the roofs in town, pretty beat up looking. Absolutely amazes me. Lost count of how many tanks he's gone thru!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd have a Battlestar if I still did factory work. That mod can take some abuse. Have a friend has had his since they came out and still going strong. He works in construction and has dropped off half the roofs in town, pretty beat up looking. Absolutely amazes me. Lost count of how many tanks he's gone thru!
It is durable as hell for sure, I always drop mods and this is definitely a workhorse!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That looks really nice! I don't own a mech yet but getting one soon :) I have 20 regulated mods but mainly use one of them which is the nx100. Aspire actually have pretty good chips. Smok, wismec/joyetech/eleaf are no where near the same performance.
I have a tesla nano steampunk that I'm pretty impressed with too.
Rest of my mods are just shit!
:cheers: Well if you must have temp control, then yes, I agree there is no good reason to buy a Wismec because then the performance will be very sub par. But for me, temp control is just a pure waste of my time regardless of what mod you'll give me to try it on, and, for me, the Reuleaux RX300 is more like something I'll use only once in a while to vape on because I like something a little bit different sometimes in terms of how it vapes so I'll use it only for those particular coil builds that don't work well on a mech. Without the power curves and ArcticFox those coils would likely just end up in the trash, not because they're bad coils─they're not─but simply because power curves and ArcticFox are turning those good coils into excellent ones enough for me to be capable to let go of my mech for like longer than just a couple minutes. If that makes sense. Vaping on a regulated mod without power curves is like watching wet paint dry... it just makes me want to go back to smoking cigarettes. That's because I've grown accustomed to mechs, how well they perform. Mechs have become second nature to me now. I'm totally nitpicky about what mechs I'll buy, though... just like I'm super choosy about mods in general. What most vapers today consider to be decent vape performance would only have caused me to permanently abandon vaping altogether.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:cheers: Well if you must have temp control, then yes, I agree there is no good reason to buy a Wismec because then the performance will be very sub par. But for me, temp control is just a pure waste of my time regardless of what mod you'll give me to try it on, and, for me, the Reuleaux RX300 is more like something I'll use only once in a while to vape on because I like something a little bit different sometimes in terms of how it vapes so I'll use it only for those particular coil builds that don't work well on a mech. Without the power curves and ArcticFox those coils would likely just end up in the trash, not because they're bad coils─they're not─but simply because power curves and ArcticFox are turning those good coils into excellent ones enough for me to be capable to let go of my mech for like longer than just a couple minutes. If that makes sense. Vaping on a regulated mod without power curves is like watching wet paint dry... it just makes me want to go back to smoking cigarettes. That's because I've grown accustomed to mechs, how well they perform. Mechs have become second nature to me now. I'm totally nitpicky about what mechs I'll buy, though... just like I'm super choosy about mods in general. What most vapers today consider to be decent vape performance would only have caused me to permanently abandon vaping altogether.
Actually I was just referring to power mode which is still overall better on aspire mods than wismec products, I don't really use TC. I actually used to like wismec products but they all just ended up bricking it!
I do agree that I power curves are good, I use them on my tesla nano and they make for a satisfying vape.
I don't pay attentions to people's opinions unless they are tech testing to show how accurate it is. I run all the tests myself so I know which mods are utter garbage.
Also what people think is good performance is usually over hyped

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually I was just referring to power mode which is still overall better on aspire mods than wismec products, I don't really use TC. I actually used to like wismec products but they all just ended up bricking it!
I do agree that I power curves are good, I use them on my tesla nano and they make for a satisfying vape.
I don't pay attentions to people's opinions unless they are tech testing to show how accurate it is. I run all the tests myself so I know which mods are utter garbage.
Also what people think is good performance is usually over hyped
If my RX300 bricks it, I'll just buy a new one unless something better performing (other than a mech or PWM) has come out to replace it. So far, none of that has happened... I also run all the tests myself─by actually vaping on the mod first, looking at accuracy numbers only second. In the case of the RX300, I purposely didn't look at DJLsb Vapes' tech testing results to see how accurate it is until I had vaped on the mod for several weeks. His tests confirmed my own conclusion that I was not able to feel inaccuracies on the vape. Granted, the actual power output did not accurately match the wattage that the mod was set to, and, at some resistances this particular part of accuracy testing showed this mismatch was more than just a few watts off. But that is utterly irrelevant to me because I can simply adjust the wattage up or down to compensate for that by using the up/down buttons on the mod until the vape feels just right. There is no indication that would lead me to believe the power output fluctuates, either during a puff or comparing one puff to another puff, in such a way that fluctuations can be felt on the vape. None whatsoever. There is only the limitation of the wattage output being held back by the batteries getting close to running out... easily remedied by changing the batteries. Finally, what I think is good performance is what keeps me off cigarettes, and what satisfies me. Part of what satisfies me, a great deal actually, is not having to keep futzing around with the power curves each and every single time when I push─until the vape feels just right─the wattage of the mod up or down. So much so, I think this is quite the opposite of being over hyped, i.e., a revolutionary technology that could help me finally cut through my growing mech addiction.
(Well... almost.) :giggle:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If my RX300 bricks it, I'll just buy a new one unless something better performing (other than a mech or PWM) has come out to replace it. So far, none of that has happened... I also run all the tests myself─by actually vaping on the mod first, looking at accuracy numbers only second. In the case of the RX300, I purposely didn't look at DJLsb Vapes' tech testing results to see how accurate it is until I had vaped on the mod for several weeks. His tests confirmed my own conclusion that I was not able to feel inaccuracies on the vape. Granted, the actual power output did not accurately match the wattage that the mod was set to, and, at some resistances this particular part of accuracy testing showed this mismatch was more than just a few watts off. But that is utterly irrelevant to me because I can simply adjust the wattage up or down to compensate for that by using the up/down buttons on the mod until the vape feels just right. There is no indication that would lead me to believe the power output fluctuates, either during a puff or comparing one puff to another puff, in such a way that fluctuations can be felt on the vape. None whatsoever. There is only the limitation of the wattage output being held back by the batteries getting close to running out... easily remedied by changing the batteries. Finally, what I think is good performance is what keeps me off cigarettes, and what satisfies me. Part of what satisfies me, a great deal actually, is not having to keep futzing around with the power curves each and every single time when I push─until the vape feels just right─the wattage of the mod up or down. So much so, I think this is quite the opposite of being over hyped, i.e., a revolutionary technology that could help me finally cut through my growing mech addiction.
(Well... almost.) :giggle:
I actually like the RX300 and it does what it needs to for me :) there are mods that are extremely overpowered and this makes them extremely inefficient. An example is the tesla nano steampunk I have, it hits like 20 watts over the wattage your vaping at. I have people arguing saying "it vapes higher than my alien" and the truth is smok mods are actually quite accurate & really good in power mode. People have issues with smok mods but you can't argue with the facts. They perform well in wattage mode. Sure TC is off but I don't use TC.

Actually in my opinion more people should use power curves!
When I said over hyped performance I mean the tesla nano steampunk is a very liked mod atm, people love it but they think being overpowered is positive cos they can "get more clouds" it's an inefficient mod.
I just wish people would look at the facts an stop bashing companies that are good.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi Guys,

So I'm up for an upgrade and i'd like to take your opinion on some mods i'm considering. I currently have the Smok AL85 with the aspire quad-flex rtda.

Mods under consideration:

3-Tesla WYE

The Wye. It's light, looks different, feels great in the hand, does accurate TC and TCR. I wouldn't own a mod that didn't do TC.
Power curves, bah. Even after fiddling with the curve, you get no protection against dry hits. I don't often run a tank dry, but I do forget to open the JFC from time to time when I refill. With TC, I get nothing when I take a hit, so have my 'Hey stupid' moment. If I was vaping power mode, I'd get a nasty burned wick.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've not used this mod, that's the only reason I haven't suggested it but it's supposed to be a really good mod an my friend who owns a vape shop never sells shite!

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone on another forum was at an expo and the Tesla rep told him to throw the Wye at the floor and then throw it up in the air. Kept on chucking clouds. I just wish they offered solid non-splatter colors.

Actually in my opinion more people should use power curves!

Or even better: temp curves!. I have been really liking my cartel revenant. I didn't think I would because of the non-adjustable wattage in TC mode but I just built my coils higher ohm and it is doing great in VCT mode (500 to start and taper down to 450).

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Wye. It's light, looks different, feels great in the hand, does accurate TC and TCR. I wouldn't own a mod that didn't do TC.
Personally, I, think the fact a Wismec kicks you out of TC is what's called a useful feature. :D
Power curves, bah. Even after fiddling with the curve, you get no protection against dry hits.
Reason I don't need protection against dry hits: I don't need training wheels on my bicycle either. Sorry... it's the only analogy I could think of. Fiddling with the power curve is not needed thanks to ArcticFox firmware... that in fact is the whole beauty of it: it uses percentage values instead of wattages to make up the curve. I wouldn't own a regulated mod that neither was a PWM mod nor did percentage values to make up the curve. Without percentage values, if using power curves, then every single time you'd change the wattage setting of the mod, you'd need to fiddle with all the wattages that make up the curve. That would be like having to move half a dozen sliders individually on an audio mixing console due to it having no master volume slider, i.e. very seriously annoyingly retarded indeed. Again, sorry... it's the only anology. Hopefully this has helped you to understand why ArcticFox firmware is the only sensible way for me to vape on a non-PWM regulated mod, at least for now.
I don't often run a tank dry,
What's a tank? :giggle:
but I do forget to open the JFC from time to time when I refill. With TC, I get nothing when I take a hit, so have my 'Hey stupid' moment. If I was vaping power mode, I'd get a nasty burned wick.
I have taught myself how to feel (on the vape itself) when the time has come to re-drip my RDA so dry hits don't happen to me anymore now. (Even, if I'm vaping on a mech, which, most of the time, I am.)

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone on another forum was at an expo and the Tesla rep told him to throw the Wye at the floor and then throw it up in the air. Kept on chucking clouds. I just wish they offered solid non-splatter colors.

Or even better: temp curves!. I have been really liking my cartel revenant. I didn't think I would because of the non-adjustable wattage in TC mode but I just built my coils higher ohm and it is doing great in VCT mode (500 to start and taper down to 450).
I found a revenant for £80.00, so tempted but no money!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I, think the fact a Wismec kicks you out of TC is what's called a useful feature. :D

Reason I don't need protection against dry hits: I don't need training wheels on my bicycle either. Sorry... it's the only analogy I could think of. Fiddling with the power curve is not needed thanks to ArcticFox firmware... that in fact is the whole beauty of it: it uses percentage values instead of wattages to make up the curve. I wouldn't own a regulated mod that neither was a PWM mod nor did percentage values to make up the curve. Without percentage values, if using power curves, then every single time you'd change the wattage setting of the mod, you'd need to fiddle with all the wattages that make up the curve. That would be like having to move half a dozen sliders individually on an audio mixing console due to it having no master volume slider, i.e. very seriously annoyingly retarded indeed. Again, sorry... it's the only anology. Hopefully this has helped you to understand why ArcticFox firmware is the only sensible way for me to vape on a non-PWM regulated mod, at least for now.

I have taught myself how to feel (on the vape itself) when the time has come to re-drip my RDA so dry hits don't happen to me anymore now. (Even, if I'm vaping on a mech, which, most of the time, I am.)
I don't use TC alot as I find its like sucking through a straw, & alot of the time I have to go up to 500f to get a good vape. I borrowed my mates lost vape therion 166 an whilst the TC was the best I've tried the tank still vaped better in power mode.

I have an rx200s, rx2/3, rx300 & a pico. I'll have to try the ArticFox firmware, people seem to love it. I know people who've used it instead of buying a high end device!

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll have to try the ArticFox firmware, people seem to love it.
some of us hate it. I found the default AF TC profiles anemic compared to stock firmware and didn't feel like having to fiddle with software to try and make it vape similar to or better than what I am used to with stock firmware in TC mode.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
some of us hate it. I found the default AF TC profiles anemic compared to stock firmware and didn't feel like having to fiddle with software to try and make it vape similar to or better than what I am used to with stock firmware in TC mode.
Personally I use an nx100 for TC mode, aspire actually have really good chips for the price so I've never needed to use AF.
I borrowed my mates battlestar an that does it even better, I'm getting a lost vape therion 166 an I won't even be using escribe. The pre set TC profiles that come on it are actually good!

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Laugh, thought I’d die!
Thanks for the Onion-like post.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I use an nx100 for TC mode, aspire actually have really good chips for the price so I've never needed to use AF.
I borrowed my mates battlestar an that does it even better, I'm getting a lost vape therion 166 an I won't even be using escribe. The pre set TC profiles that come on it are actually good!
yeah, battlestar (and charon) are on my short list due to the good TC reviews. I am also considering the aspire speeder as I think it uses the same type of chip as the nx75/100.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah, battlestar (and charon) are on my short list due to the good TC reviews. I am also considering the aspire speeder as I think it uses the same type of chip as the nx75/100.
I've not looked up the Aspire speeder but if it has same chip as them you can't go wrong

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The archon has same chip too but it feels cheap as hell, they should of dome same build quality as the nx ones

VU Sponsors