Become a Patron!

Cleaning SS 316L coils

Hey guys. I'm new to stainless steel coils and was just wondering the safe way to clean them without any risk of oxidizing the coils. I'm using 316l ss alien coils on a 1.5 goon rda mounted on a lost vape paranormal 250c mod if that matters. With kanthal and nichrome i always just dry burned the coil gunk to ash and dipped in water (at 35 watts on watt mode). Can i do the same with SS or risk oxidization or rusting?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I pulse mine to crisp the crud, and I use a small SS brush as well. I only rinse after this as they are cooling - to remove the debris, rinse out old ejuice from deck, and speed cooldown. After rinse, pulse a few times to steam out the water, rewick, reprime and go.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do they still look tinted black and bronze when you were done?

Usually. SS is like that though, it anneals as a natural effect of being heated. It is not anything to be overly concerned about. What heat is applied to SS coil wire from vaping is not enough sustained heat to release any toxic fumes. We pulse, we do not burn SS. Annealing is similar to oxidation. I'm sure you've likely seen blued gun barrels, no? There you go, its the barrel's material has been heated and quenched to harden it that much more. Same process with your coils. :)

Usually. SS is like that though, it anneals as a natural effect of being heated. It is not anything to be overly concerned about. What heat is applied to SS coil wire from vaping is not enough sustained heat to release any toxic fumes. We pulse, we do not burn SS. Annealing is similar to oxidation. I'm sure you've likely seen blued gun barrels, no? There you go, its the barrel's material has been heated and quenched to harden it that much more. Same process with your coils. :)
I have heard from several people that glowing SS coils can be dangerous and at least damaging to the coils.
Not sure myself, I'm no metal expert or anything.
What's the best way to clean them?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What Mist said.
SS is fragile compared to KA or N80. Just refrain from glowing it by not being in a hurry. Just repeat till clean. Some will heat it then brush it then run water over it then heat it again to boiling, brushing in between using a brush or something like ceramic tweezers but with something like the tweezers use care to not damage and wire wraps. Can run a rod inside to help dislodge anything. Of course, cleaning more often leaves less to clean. Once you see its clean, dry fire with low wattage, start really low and increase a little if needed, brushing between pulses.

These brushes work well and for dry firing hot spots out too.
https://lb2.fasttech.com/products/3...nless-steel-cleaning-brushes-for-e-cigarettes

or this one’s handle is a coiling rod and comes with an extra brush. And these can be found stateside.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/8095600-authentic-coil-master-vape-cleaning-brush

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have heard from several people that glowing SS coils can be dangerous and at least damaging to the coils.

Yes, if I get in a hurry I've melted SS coils. Like @Vape Fan points out take your time. You want to heat your coil/s but not get them past a low orange color. More than that and you can damage the material. @Vape Fan has other good advice as well.

By comparison, I'll fire Kanthal so hard & fast it doesn't get a chance to scream. Doesn't really hurt it too drastically. Kanthal (FeCrAl) was created to take abuse.

What Mist said.
SS is fragile compared to KA or N80. Just refrain from glowing it by not being in a hurry. Just repeat till clean. Some will heat it then brush it then run water over it then heat it again to boiling, brushing in between using a brush or something like ceramic tweezers but with something like the tweezers use care to not damage and wire wraps. Can run a rod inside to help dislodge anything. Of course, cleaning more often leaves less to clean. Once you see its clean, dry fire with low wattage, start really low and increase a little if needed, brushing between pulses.

These brushes work well and for dry firing hot spots out too.
https://lb2.fasttech.com/products/3...nless-steel-cleaning-brushes-for-e-cigarettes

or this one’s handle is a coiling rod and comes with an extra brush. And these can be found stateside.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/8095600-authentic-coil-master-vape-cleaning-brush
Yeah glad I asked because I was glowing it at 70W just like I do my Nichrome 80 Clapton's
I'm just used to burning it off by glowing hot and dunking it in water when it's glowing but not pressing the firebutton.

So how hot 🔥 can I get it, I'm not sure I understand orange/red Hot I'm kind of color blind. Should I just pulse it at 25W for 2 seconds each time? I'm just not sure how much heat it takes to burn it off and keep it safe

I do have 50 coils that are SS-316L Fused Clapton's from 4-8 cores

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yeah glad I asked because I was glowing it at 70W just like I do my Nichrome 80 Clapton's
I'm just used to burning it off by glowing hot and dunking it in water when it's glowing but not pressing the firebutton.

So how hot 🔥 can I get it, I'm not sure I understand orange/red Hot I'm kind of color blind. Should I just pulse it at 25W for 2 seconds each time? I'm just not sure how much heat it takes to burn it off and keep it safe

I do have 50 coils that are SS-316L Fused Clapton's from 4-8 cores
How hot can you get it? Well, you can see it light up...right? When you see that, its time to let up, let it cool, strum, pulse again. Don't force it to burn off gunk or remove hotspots by continuing to hold the button down. It can be glowed a little, not a lot. Short bursts.

When cleaning, the gunk will heat faster than the wire so those little bright spots is that, and that's enough to get it clean, but you can go a little hotter just don't overglow the metal by glowing it bright.

When new, you probably wont have hotspots if you space the wraps. And that helps dry firing at low wattage.

If I'm using a single .22ish ss 3 core alien I use about 15-18w.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most of the mechanical mods I use are of the single 18650 cell variety. That only allows up to around 28 watts max. A quick two, maybe three second pulse for SS is what I do.

2013-09-05-12.png

If you can see the numerals, the color they are will be what you desire. If not then two to three seconds ought to do it for you from 15 to 25 watts.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I usually just heat the coils with the fire button and let them cool. It don't take long. Then I clean then with a small wire brush to remove whatever is left. As for firing up the coils, I use my vaping setting of 30 watts. It's plenty enough to burn off whatever gunkneeds to go, and will just turn the coils orange.

VU Sponsors