Become a Patron!

Closed coils vs spaced

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I let the coil tell me what it wants. Some coils want to be spaced and will only lay properly it they are. Others naturally touch when wound on the jig. Maybe it is just my winding inconsistency but ime a coil that lays nicely spaced is very difficult for me to make a closed coil.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Probably more my lack of experience manipulating the coil to remain together. But I know you know what I mean. Some coils when wound just naturally space themselves so perfectly that making them touch almost seem counter productive. Like a more perfectly spaced coil would not happen on purpose. I feel kind of goofy with my post. Peace and love to all.
Rick

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I find the difference minimal a lot of the time. I will do either depending on the deck I am working on. If it has a lot of distance between post holes, it is going to be spaced. If room is tight, it will be a contact coil. If either will fit the deck properly, I go with a spaced coil since they are a lot easier to get firing evenly since I don't have to poke and prod the coil to get hot spots out.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I find the difference minimal a lot of the time. I will do either depending on the deck I am working on. If it has a lot of distance between post holes, it is going to be spaced. If room is tight, it will be a contact coil. If either will fit the deck properly, I go with a spaced coil since they are a lot easier to get firing evenly since I don't have to poke and prod the coil to get hot spots out.

Alright fine, I'll say a few words. :) I'm roughly the same place as @Syythe, here. Cannot really say which I find best or better. As @Theboss points out there's too many variables. Sometimes a coil is just a coil. :)

VU Sponsors