Become a Patron!

Cloud Chasing and Coil Diameters

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Howdy y’all,

Now I’ve been a flavour chasin’ for a while now, and with my Profile on 100 grade Ni80 mesh, pretty much no dual coil build I’ve ever tried in my other RDAs can beat it.

So I figure it’s a good time to turn my attention over to cloud chasing. I’m the type of builder who likes to buy rolls of clapton or alien wire and just roll my own coils. I recently got some fishing swivels, but haven’t stocked up on all the different wire gauges to make my own aliens or Clapton’s.

As a general rule, is there one diameter of coil that lends itself to cloud chasing?

I use a coil terminator kit which has one o em kuro coil rods. It comes with pins for 1.5,2,2.5,3 & 3.5mm coils. I almost always build 3mm coils and I’ve noticed that most prebuilt coils come in 3mm.

I think I tried a 3.5mm A1/SS alien coil once, but the ramp up time was too slow. I’ve seen upgraded to a GBOX mod which has custom power curves, so maybe I’ll revisit large bore coils.

What’s been your experience? Is there one sweet spot diameter for clouds?

Sent from Imperial Star Destroyer Executor

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Single coil, all N80, 26g frames 6 ply .5 ribbon 36g alien binding ohms at .11, allows me to take big draws with sick vapor production. I think one of the keys is covering a lot of surface area.
A5681908-8D17-4A78-9050-AAD7C168EC70.jpeg

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Single coil, all N80, 26g frames 6 ply .5 ribbon 36g alien binding ohms at .11, allows me to take big draws with sick vapor production. I think one of the keys is covering a lot of surface area.
View attachment 132146

That’s a pretty coil my dude.

Do you have any leftover? I’d love to see what it looks like inside.

Not sure what you mean by 6 ply frames and .5 ribbon... 6 26G wires on top of a .5 ribbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got a dual 4mm ss clapton 5 wraps build in my Drop right now... ridiculous clouds happening.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For cloud chasing, wide I.D coils hold more wick, so stay wet better/longer. That is handy for high watt vaping.

* enters thread construct, slings up a canvas hammock in one corner in the back, climbs in pulls out his note pad and scribble stick, scribbles these words into the pad. smiles, waves ... sits and is obviously attentive to listen, lurk *

I think one of the keys is covering a lot of surface area.

*scribbles this down as well, nods, gets lost in own thought/s ... says nothing, just keeps listening and noting*

As a general rule, is there one diameter of coil that lends itself to cloud chasing?

*holds up a finger as means of "excuse me"* Can only speak my own experience, have had some alright luck with getting clouds off of 2 mm ID coil. It was single coil & no fancy thing just plain single strand of 24 awg Kanthal A1. I will not build less than 2 mm ID simply because arthritis, nerve issues, and I lack patience to fidget with tiny stuff any more.

*returns to listening with a polite smile, leaves number 64 here, takes number 3 and heads out for some coffee, at least he thinks it's number 3, ... has lost count of his clone selves again, ...*

Last edited:

VU Sponsors