Become a Patron!

Coil builds and wicking for flavor chasing!

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found the coils I like but I just mixed my first ever test batches of juice today. 3mg 70/30 and I get to control the flavor. Ha! And, no, the power has not gone to my head...yet... It's gotta steep first

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just want to thank everybody here for their input, and proving even old dogs can learn new tricks. Even though I've been into DIY for about a year, I never realized that coil diameter affected flavor. Now I'm wrapping 26g around a 2mm screw driver, and rebuilding all my tanks; even rebuilt the Goblins that I have given up on. Enjoying more flavor! Thanks again.
Awesome!

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Be ultra careful with Nicotine. It's like being sea sick I'm told. But your on dry land. Not a good thing.
Learned that the hard way years ago with a 36/mg juice. Being a 10 yr+ smoker and getting a nic rush was slightly disconcerting. That's why I only ordered enough nic for one large batch of base. Only have to mess with it once and I'm not too worried about it in the freezer...

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Pardon my ignorance. I'm pretty unfamiliar w genny style attys. What makes the flavor so good? I have an Orchid that I love to vape but I can't take the darn thing anywhere without it peeing juice everywhere. It made me stop looking at RTA's altogether.

That last line, a million times over. I'm glad you found your spot and there's not a damn thing wrong with staying right there. :) I'm still looking for mine. Where I want to be is lots of flavor w a little cloud. A lot of my RDAs are wrong for that.

I read a comment where someone had put their KF drip tip on a mutation x and raved about the flavor. I could never use my KF drip tip (too small) but maybe a kanger aerotank DT would get a little better flavor than a wider RDA DT? I have some cloudy builds that start to drool with a "small" drip tip. Maybe I'll try my Derringer w some parallel 28ga coils and a small DT. I would like to do that in my hobo but I remember thinking that the last time I tightened one of the screws was the last time I was gonna tighten it before it strips. :mad:
I use a FuHattan with a Vulcan RDA, and have always used a larger opening drip tip, not a cloud maker, but a regular size RDA tip, & I THOUGHT I was getting good flavor. Just for shits & grins, I put a KF tip on my Vulcan & took a hit, first, a straight lung hit, no problem, flavor was intensely increased. Then I took a mouth to lung hit, & almost blew my friggin' head off. The flavor was so intense, I could not believe how intense it was. It put me into a coughing fit too, so that kinda confused me. Using a larger tip never had done that, but the small KF tip whipped my ass.

Gonna have to find a happy medium, just can't go around coughing all the time...lol. So, I'll go through my cache of tips until I find the right one. Funny how a smaller tip changes things like that....

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use a FuHattan with a Vulcan RDA, and have always used a larger opening drip tip, not a cloud maker, but a regular size RDA tip, & I THOUGHT I was getting good flavor. Just for shits & grins, I put a KF tip on my Vulcan & took a hit, first, a straight lung hit, no problem, flavor was intensely increased. Then I took a mouth to lung hit, & almost blew my friggin' head off. The flavor was so intense, I could not believe how intense it was. It put me into a coughing fit too, so that kinda confused me. Using a larger tip never had done that, but the small KF tip whipped my ass.

Gonna have to find a happy medium, just can't go around coughing all the time...lol. So, I'll go through my cache of tips until I find the right one. Funny how a smaller tip changes things like that....
I've read a handful of comments about using a KF DT to get great flavor. It sort of makes sense. Condense that vapor down as tight as possible. I don't know how you lung hit it though. That's the smallest I.D. DT ever made.

I'm keeping my KF DT with the Kayfun for when I give it away to some poor soul. I couldn't stand that DT when I first that tank. I immediately swapped the DT out for my previous one from a Kanger Aerotank (basically the same tip, larger hole). My only problem with using a super small DT (yes even the Aerotank DT is super small to me) is this... On any of my devices, RDA or tank, a DT with a small inside diameter causes excessive condensation that results in juice in my mouth. Sure you get lots of flavor, but I get lots of flavor when I lick juice off my hand too. Why waste battery power?

I guess before all that cynical typing I should have asked about your coils and power levels. In my RDAs I run parallels or claptons at 60-100W. My tanks cruise along at 37-50W. I keep the AFC closed down as much as I can without the device getting dangerously hot.

In other news, I bought a pair of coils the other day (even though I have thousands of feet of wire). Fused claptons. 26ga wrapped in 40ga. They look insane. Haven't mounted them yet. Trying to decide what to mount them in and whether to run both in one RDA or go single coil.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've read a handful of comments about using a KF DT to get great flavor. It sort of makes sense. Condense that vapor down as tight as possible. I don't know how you lung hit it though. That's the smallest I.D. DT ever made.

I'm keeping my KF DT with the Kayfun for when I give it away to some poor soul. I couldn't stand that DT when I first that tank. I immediately swapped the DT out for my previous one from a Kanger Aerotank (basically the same tip, larger hole). My only problem with using a super small DT (yes even the Aerotank DT is super small to me) is this... On any of my devices, RDA or tank, a DT with a small inside diameter causes excessive condensation that results in juice in my mouth. Sure you get lots of flavor, but I get lots of flavor when I lick juice off my hand too. Why waste battery power?

I guess before all that cynical typing I should have asked about your coils and power levels. In my RDAs I run parallels or claptons at 60-100W. My tanks cruise along at 37-50W. I keep the AFC closed down as much as I can without the device getting dangerously hot.

In other news, I bought a pair of coils the other day (even though I have thousands of feet of wire). Fused claptons. 26ga wrapped in 40ga. They look insane. Haven't mounted them yet. Trying to decide what to mount them in and whether to run both in one RDA or go single coil.
Sorry for the late response, I'm currently using an unregulated mech box, a triple parallel, with a Vulcan for my rda. I usually run my coils from .3 to .6. And like you, I bought some coils the other day, some claptons, some fused claptons, ribbon wire coils, and some called the locomotive coil.Oh and I almost forgot, one called the cloud tsunami. Just waiting on the last ones to get in. Got a clapton on 1 mod, and a fused clapton on another mod, trying to figure out the best flavor. So far, I'm leaning on the clapton, but that could change when the others get here.

I make my own juice, and I have 2 that are my MAIN go to flavors, Rocket Puppy's RY4 Double, and Grant's Vanilla Custard. I'm beginning to think I need to increase my flavorings to adapt to the new coils, just seems to have toned down a bit. But, I will check them all out, and make any adjustments.

Built 26ga kanthal a1, 3mm, 7 wrap, parallel, spaced, coils raised to air vents on my factory default deck from kangertech (dripbox 60w), wicked with ordinary muji cotton. Results: Vape never tasted this good for me.

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual 24g N80 5 wraps 1/8 id (vertical) vaped @ 70-100 watts for dense clouds of flavor goodness!
lIyTxe.jpg

SksRUk.jpg

qtmR0h.jpg

Tried everything; Claptons, Fused Claptons, Alien, Mohawk Alien, Twisted, Twisted Clapton, Parralel Coils, Staged heating, Kanthal, Nickel, Titan, NiCr etc. but the best and cleanest Flavour i got out of braided coils running in TC on SS317L.
So i focused on that and pimped the shit out of the Braid and that is what came out:

5 double loops Vertebraid (20x34g 317L) 6 Wraps in Dual Coil at 0.1 Ohm on a Avocado 24 with Wismec RX200S in TC Mode at 210°C (warning: flavor explosion)
IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0950.JPG

Easy rules to maximize your flavor expierience:
- Get as much overall wire surface as possible (more wraps, more wire)
- Optimze the cappilar effect (Braid > Twisted > Claptoned)
- Maximize the cotton contact surface ( Flatened surface > Round surface)
- Try to use more higher gauge strands than les lower gauges at the same Ohm
- Run it dual coil if you can. (more surface but less resistance)
- If possible vape in TC Mode to avoid dry hits and burned cotton or juice
- Reduce the Percentages of Nickel and Aluminium in your Wire to avoid metallic taste (317L > 316L > NiCr > Kanthal)
- Balance your airflow

Last edited:

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tried everything; Claptons, Fused Claptons, Alien, Mohawk Alien, Twisted, Twisted Clapton, Parralel Coils, Staged heating, Kanthal, Nickel, Titan, NiCr etc. but the best and cleanest Flavour i got out of braided coils running in TC on SS317L.
So i focused on that and pimped the shit out of the Braid and that is what came out:

5 double loops Vertebraid (20x34g 317L) 6 Wraps in Dual Coil at 0.1 Ohm on a Avocado 24 with Wismec RX200S in TC Mode at 210°C (warning: flavor explosion)
View attachment 61622 View attachment 61623 View attachment 61624

- Reduce the Percentages of Nickel and Aluminium in your Wire to avoid metallic taste (317L > 316L > NiCr > Kanthal)
- Balance your airflow
ive been using some braided coils also, they work great in TC and give good flavor.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

View attachment 61622 View attachment 61623 View attachment 61624

- Balance your airflow
Those are sick looking coils!

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The best flavor coils I have built have always been.....

Team Single Coil - Single Parallel Coil. 2x 26g KA1, Claptoned with 36g. Paralleled to 26gNi80, Claptoned with 32g KA1. 5 wraps around a 3mm ID. 0.35 ohms. The paralleled single core Ni80 Clapton produces a staged heating coil effect, as the Ni80 portion of the coil heats up faster than the fused Clapton does, which greatly reduces the overall ramp up time of the entire coil, and gives oyu a flavor and vapor PUNCH to your mouth hole....Vape it ~60W. Amazing flavor. DENSE, DENSE, Warm vapor in my mouth hole. Great vapor production. My favorite Vape to date. I rock it in my Geek Vape Avocado 22mm usually...also get great flavor out of my Freakshow by Wotofo.

For Dual Coils - 2x 26g KA1, Claptoned with 36g. 6 wraps around a 2.5mm ID. Again, a great vape. 55W is my sweet spot for a warm (not hot), dense vape.

For wicking, I use standard Japanese Organic Cotton squares. The ones by UD have always worked out well for me. The only "trick" I use is to peel off a very THIN layer from each side, removing the outer most layer (which tends to be a bit more coarse, and dense) Doing so leaves you with nothing but fluffy, great wick for your coils. Secondly, after I pull the wick through the coil(s), I use metal needle nosed tweezers and run them along the wicks, from the edge of the coil outward, which fluffs the cotton nicely. I always do this before I tuck the wick ends in. I have found that this method greatly improves the wicking process while vaping!

CHEERS

Last edited:

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
By far the best flavor I've got is using SS first it was 316L now it's 317. IMO nothing compares to it I can do a standard wrap or get creative as I was and it gives off such a clean taste the best cotton I've tried is juicy wix by LDVAPEGEAR.com
43838059789a3a3e3db0aaec48cba631.jpg

The texture is similar to that of the cotton squares once you peel off the outer layers, but this stuff is a little softer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best rda for flavor in my opinion is the petri v2. That with staggered fused Claptons 10 wraps 2.5mm diameter .35 ohms dual coil. Sitting on a series box mod or a noisy cricket. The flavor is amazing I strongly recommend the petri v2 rda and staggered fused Claptons :)

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The best rda for flavor in my opinion is the petri v2. That with staggered fused Claptons 10 wraps 2.5mm diameter .35 ohms dual coil. Sitting on a series box mod or a noisy cricket. The flavor is amazing I strongly recommend the petri v2 rda and staggered fused Claptons :)
I have always wanted to own a petri, but they are all just so darn expensive! but as far as the noisy cricket goes helllllllsyeahhhhhhhbabbbyyyy ! that mod, hands down, is the hardest hitter I have used, and the vape quality from it is just amazeballs....I can't wait for the v2 to arrive that I just ordered! series and parallel with a potentiometer as well? forb $30 shipped? YES PLEASE!

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
- Balance your airflow

Wow! great rules to follow, I knew some of these but had never even thought of some of the others....I will definitely have to try some of this out, thank you SO MUCH! I am still fairly new to the TC world, but have heard great things and nothing but from the people who are hardcore TCers , so yeah, thanks again!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find I get great flavour off of simple, 26G micro coils, depending on the tank or RDA will depend on the ID of the coil, and I have mainly moved to using SS 316L lately for my builds.

However, as someone else mentioned I do find I get fantastic flavour from some more cloud orientated builds run at higher power- I usually vape at 40W and under, ,more under 30W, but occasionally do enjoy a higher power blast.
I have a few different set ups for this, but quite enjoy fused Claptons. For Cotton, I use Muji. I find it to be perfectly good for my needs, and it tastes good to me.

I could however have terrible taste lol.

Dagoroth

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So I bought a "Beast" 30mm RTA by Ohmega and haven't been able to build a single coil on it yet that gives me great flavor...Is it because of the large diameter of the tank/huge chimney? I've been tried twisted, parallels and regular wraps with 28g and used several different companies/types of cotton. I also have tried 3mm ID coils and up to as large as 5mm just to try it out. I get barely any flavor from my juices that are almost too overwhelming in my smaller tanks. I am going to try out a 2mm - 2.5mm coil later this week when I get a few hours/ am not lazy lol. Just wondering, any help would be great. Thank you :)

Last edited:

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All I have to say is 317 SS I thought 316 was great this edges it out I do a dual 7wrap 2.5mm ID comes out to .25 amazing

Shoot, credit where credit is due. :)

I hadn't thought about stacked ribbon wire claptoned. I've had my head buried in DIY reading for months and haven't been paying attention to coils as much. I think I saw Jacobs selling 38ga N80 on eBay for a decent price. I'm not sure I want 250ft yet and that's TM's minimum. I know these claptons burn up some outer wire though.

Is there such a thing as a clapton that works well on a mech mod? I have 30, 70 and 165w regulated mods but I love love love my SMPLs. Regardless, where's a good place to start w a clapton? What about parallel 26ga Kanthal wrapped in 38ga N80?

I am trying to use up some of the kanthal I have if possible.

Thanks for all the help SCJ!
I've used dual 28 core wires and Clapton's with 36g heats quickly I use all n80 works well for me on my lmc rhodium tube mod. Heats good and Is a safe build

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I bought a "Beast" 30mm RTA by Ohmega and haven't been able to build a single coil on it yet that gives me great flavor...Is it because of the large diameter of the tank/huge chimney? I've been tried twisted, parallels and regular wraps with 28g and used several different companies/types of cotton. I also have tried 3mm ID coils and up to as large as 5mm just to try it out. I get barely any flavor from my juices that are almost too overwhelming in my smaller tanks. I am going to try out a 2mm - 2.5mm coil later this week when I get a few hours/ am not lazy lol. Just wondering, any help would be great. Thank you :)

ae3be10166a857a943281681e1255efa.jpg

I've been getting some requests for big coils for the dumptank and the modfather. This Coil is a 10 wrap alien I make. I love aliens personally always get nice flavor. Another good flavor coil but a bitch to make (at least for me) the staggered fused clapton 3 to 4 cores.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys! I am a new builder. Always looking for tips. I am currently running a single coil 26g twisted kanthal coil with 5 wraps 3mm id on an avocado rta. I use cotton candy wicking and love how easy it is to work with! This is my first build, but the flavor is really great out of this setup!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first flavor build when I started out was a plain 26g/32g 7 wrap on 2.5mm in ss316l or N80. Fused claptons just didn't do it for me I duno. Then I started making aliens and now that's all I make. Just got the framed staple alien down and loving that, but any Alien 5 wrap 26g cores or 6 wrap with 28g cores again all mat's taste great ss316l/n80 or Ka1 wrapped with N80 just my taste I suppose.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna have to look into aliens...I think they look so badass

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm gonna have to look into aliens...I think they look so badass

cac2057bc0397ab643c5698a8ce6b623.jpg

They take some patience and practice don't get discouraged. Swivels, a small bench vise, and some toothless or nylon pliers* are your best friend. M.terk on YouTube has a great build tutorial. Big key to getting good aliens is the stretch of the decored clapton.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys! I am a new builder. Always looking for tips. I am currently running a single coil 26g twisted kanthal coil with 5 wraps 3mm id on an avocado rta. I use cotton candy wicking and love how easy it is to work with! This is my first build, but the flavor is really great out of this setup!

Congrats on jumping into the world of building! The Avocado is one of my absolute favorite attys (see avatar lol) and it truly shines in single coil mode. I started out the exact same way as you bud, twisted 26g Kanthal....5-6 wraps on a 3mm....I have tried MANY different single coil setups in the Avocado, and lately, I have fallen in love with staged heating Claptons. If you cannot coil up your own clapton, GeekVape (among other companies) sell spools of premade Clapton wire in a variety of gauges and wire types. Personally, I like to use the Ni80 26/32 paralleled with Kanthal 26x2/32. The single core Ni80 Clapton heats up much faster than the dual core Fused Kanthal Clapton does, providing a staged heating effect, greatly increasing the vape quality, both in flavor and cloud density. I do 5 wraps in parallel, with the Fused Clapton being the edge of both sides of the coil. This ohms out around 0.36 on a 2,5mm ID. Give it a go my brother, and you will NOT regret it! Being that it is so much clapton, it has a slight ramp up time, but the Ni80 really helps reduce the overall ramp up. But the FLAVOR you get out of this setup is just....riDONKulous! I vape it @ 60W with 70/30 juice, and its truly a blissful vape. Warm (Not too hot), DENSE, delicious clouds!

Cheers mate! Good luck and keep on building!

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My favorite flavour coils I make are double 5 strand 34g kanthal fishtail braid, single coil. 5-6wraps on 3mm id.
Screen shot ? Sounds intriguing, but I have never heard of this cool sounding coil before!!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What genesis would you recommend for a MTL vaper? Do not care about blowing big clouds and find the AF on most sub tanks excessive for my taste. I usually need to close them down almost completely.
The Pulse G by RM mods if you can find one they don't make them anymore...there might be a clone around....or look on the classies....but really there's alot of good ones around and their clones around...stuff I liked where stuff made by steamboy as sort of mid-priced atty....the Lon by Irquidez..there's alot of those clones around ..but alot of the good ones have stopped being made and were never cloned.the Sat 22,..the Rocket from RSM...but most gennys are good for MTL

Jason Commerford

Member For 4 Years
The Pulse G by RM mods if you can find one they don't make them anymore...there might be a clone around....or look on the classies....but really there's alot of good ones around and their clones around...stuff I liked where stuff made by steamboy as sort of mid-priced atty....the Lon by Irquidez..there's alot of those clones around ..but alot of the good ones have stopped being made and were never cloned.the Sat 22,..the Rocket from RSM...but most gennys are good for MTL

Thanks. I will be on the lookout for a good one. Did have two of the old AGs But the airflow was two restrictive even for me. Drilled one out but then it was too much. So I will be looking for one with and adjustable airflow.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. I will be on the lookout for a good one. Did have two of the old AGs But the airflow was two restrictive even for me. Drilled one out but then it was too much. So I will be looking for one with and adjustable airflow.
I can't think of one with adjustable airflow I really liked..except for the Le Zephyr..there is a clone of it you can pick up cheap to give it a try, before spending a ton on the authentic..it is really a brilliant genny, and has a big range of airflow options, it has a huge wickhole so you can build a massive wick and vape a SS mesh wick pretty low, I vape mine at about .6, or you can get a reducer for the wickhole and build it more like a traditional genny...I like a restrictive lung vape myself.....I don't know what an AG is..do you mean AGA-T

I'm using smok micro tfv4. The prebuilt coil CLP2 does a great job in flavor but for only a couple of days. Luckily, this tank also comes with the micro rca which is rebuildable. Any opinion if what's the best build for this? TIA

Jason Commerford

Member For 4 Years
I can't think of one with adjustable airflow I really liked..except for the Le Zephyr..there is a clone of it you can pick up cheap to give it a try, before spending a ton on the authentic..it is really a brilliant genny, and has a big range of airflow options, it has a huge wickhole so you can build a massive wick and vape a SS mesh wick pretty low, I vape mine at about .6, or you can get a reducer for the wickhole and build it more like a traditional genny...I like a restrictive lung vape myself.....I don't know what an AG is..do you mean AGA-T

I will look into that as well. Sounds interesting. Thanks

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using smok micro tfv4. The prebuilt coil CLP2 does a great job in flavor but for only a couple of days. Luckily, this tank also comes with the micro rca which is rebuildable. Any opinion if what's the best build for this? TIA
I used to use this tank . I always used the rba section myself , and I found that a single coil fused Clapton gave the best vape 2x28/36 around a 2 mm 5 wraps, 0.75 ohms . Vape at 40w. Great flavor .

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Flavor being subjective. For me, flavor is at watts 15 - 30, 28 to 32 kanthal, 1.5 to 2.5 mm diameter, on a device that has a smaller closed chimney. I stopped chasing flavor after I found my spot. lol, sound like I'm stuck in the past.
I've not vaped at high watts (30 - 100) so it's interesting to read.
Whatever it take to not smoke, works for us.
I know this is an old post.. how many loops should I try on a coil this small? I can try it out on a merlin mini or serpent Alto... The only 2 I have so far. Not counting the pharoah which I put on a shelf already.

And will a build like this work with 26 g kanthal which is all I have.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RMVapes28

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My personal opinion the best flavor I've ever gotten no matter the atty was when I started using nichrome wire. Lately I've been doing fused claptons with 3 28 ni80 cores and a 32 ni80 wrap at anywhere from 4-6 wraps on a 2.5-3.5 bit and the flavor has been excellent. Depending on how much room I have on my build deck depends on the number of cores. I realize 3 cores won't fit in many devices. Even a ni80 single clapton produces phenomenal flavor. Again as I first stated this is my opinion, but after using nichrome wire nothing else gives a better flavor...

Drake m

Member For 2 Years
Hey guys got a ? About n 80 wire. I am currently using a tf rta g2 by smok on the alien mod. doing a daul coil. twisted 32 awg with two 28 awg on both sides with a light twist of 40 just to hold them together and not move when coiling. Ohms out at something like .140 ish. It choose the amp and volt to go with it at that ohm. It tastes like complete crap all metaly and cotton burn taste. But then you tell the mod to read it at .3 ohm with it adjusting volt and amp on its own and its flavor centeral. Its the same thing on any coil i make with n 80 always have to turn the ohms up manualy at least that .2 ish ohms range. Am i doing something wrong or is it normal. That fish tail braid looks bomb guna try that next thanks.

MV5

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Still fairly new to all of this (just got my first rda, a Goon clone, last week). Been experimenting with different coils - claptons, braided, twisted - and have found I'm getting the best flavor from a simple build of dual 22g kanthal, 3mm, 8 wrap slightly spaced. Comes out to .19 ohms for a dual coil build.

In 2 months I've gone from a cheap 650mah battery with a disposable clearomizer to an Evod twist with a Kanger Protank 3, to an Aspire ET-S clearomizer to an istick 200w with a Melo 300 tank (and then an rba for said tank). Flavor just keeps getting better and better with each upgrade. Then I got the Goon and couldn't believe how much more flavor I got. Once I came to the conclusion of using the simple coils it's just amazing how much more flavor I get. I'm vaping at about 50 to 60 watts and although I look more for flavor than clouds I find I'm getting plenty of each.

nikolous

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't used standard round wire in over a year. Claptons and their variations (alien, fused, staggered etc) are the best. But when using Claptons for flavour, you need to ensure the outer wires are very thin (I'm talking 34awg and up).

MV5

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't used standard round wire in over a year. Claptons and their variations (alien, fused, staggered etc) are the best. But when using Claptons for flavour, you need to ensure the outer wires are very thin (I'm talking 34awg and up).

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Once I came to the conclusion of using the simple coils it's just amazing how much more flavor I get.

If you like coil-gunking flavors (coffee, chocolate, caramels, butterscotch, thick creams), daily coil changes add up ... 100ft of 24ga round KA1 (US$5 on sale) will make 300 0.5 ohm coils ... $0.02 each (if used with generic organic cotton)

Nothing beats the pure flavors from a fresh coil and wick. :D

I have a Aris Pro, the center post air holes make it quite difficult to build. With horizontal builds, the airflow tend to rise straight to the drip tip. I finally found a build I'm almost happy with:
DSC00493.jpg

Double spaced coils of twisted 26ga kanthal. The coils go from the base of the air ports (holes in center post) to the very top of the atty. Flavour is great but the vape is a bit too hot. I think the temperature gradient from the bottom to the top of the coils helps vaporizing the full spectrum of flavours.

The manufacturer recommend < .8 ohms coils, but here I'm at .5 ohms. Not sure how to achieve that with anything but microcoils while keeping the thermal mass low (it is designed for sipping mostly). Next time I'll try thinner wire, or maybe a very thin clapton, and larger coil diameter (2mm instead of 1.3mm here). Also want to try twisted SS, but very thin (32ga is coming).

xtommytx123

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My all time favorite every day flavor set up for fruity flavors (my favorite is propaganda-blue slushee) is 5 wraps of 24 guage around a 2.4 screw driver, I personally have used Tobh attys on a smpl mod. I like the 2.5 version the most but I have a version 2 as well that works good but the cap doesent stay on good so I use the topper from an indestructible atty. these are all clones I'm talking about btw. 7 wraps of nichrome 24 gauge around a 2.4 works realy good too, literally no ramp up and I get a lot of tart sour notes on top of the sweet.

xtommytx123

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I absolutely lovelovelove 24guage tiger wire with .08 ribbon nichrome or evin kanthal but mostly for regulated mods with custards. Gives some nice head depending on the rda and nice sweet notes and eggy notes that rock.

In my experience flavor chasing has multiple layers. Firstly you coil in my experience high ohms give better flavor about 1 ohm is the best for me. I build a six or seven wrap Clapton build for more surface area. I don't space my coils though.

Second thing is the cotton you use I've tried various wicks and the best to me is kho gen do. It's an organic Japanese cotton. I do a Scottish roll check out how to do it on YouTube rip tripper has a video on it and fluff it up shortens the break in time.

Third thing is your juice higher vg ratio gives better flavor. 70 vg and thirty pg is my sweet spot. Also steeping your liquids is important I'm impatient so I speed steep using the microwave or the heating rice in the microwave and putting my bottle in that.

Those my tips give it a try and tell me what you think.

xtommytx123

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experience flavor chasing has multiple layers. Firstly you coil in my experience high ohms give better flavor about 1 ohm is the best for me. I build a six or seven wrap Clapton build for more surface area. I don't space my coils though.

Second thing is the cotton you use I've tried various wicks and the best to me is kho gen do. It's an organic Japanese cotton. I do a Scottish roll check out how to do it on YouTube rip tripper has a video on it and fluff it up shortens the break in time.

Third thing is your juice higher vg ratio gives better flavor. 70 vg and thirty pg is my sweet spot. Also steeping your liquids is important I'm impatient so I speed steep using the microwave or the heating rice in the microwave and putting my bottle in that.

Those my tips give it a try and tell me what you think.
Nice man, I have tried all kinds of coils over the years and I kinda landed with the ones I use after trial and error. I realy want to try and make little mini fused claptons maybe with 28 or 30 or evin higher with multiple core wires with 38 or 40 wrap. I have a few ideas for stuff that might work just not the time to sit and do it.

I also love kho gen do pads too, I have to get more tho iv been using either muji or cotton bacon just because I have them and the bacon isent bad but for some reason the muji doesent last real long but I do use it. I kind of want to do my own tests on all the different cottons on the market to see what I like the best but it would take a lot of time and a lot of that stuff isent cheap. I was never able to get the Scottish roll wicking down, I have gotten it good before but not consistently.

But I agree with you I like a 70/30 blend too or evin 80/20 sometimes but if I find a juice I realy like I buy 2 bottles and stick one or more in my closet to steep it and as I use them I replace them and let them steep as I use the previous bottle. I used to speed steep by leaving them in my car in the summer and shaking them every time I get in to go somewhere. But I haven't tried the microwave i dident know you could do it that way.

VU Sponsors