Become a Patron!

Coil builds and wicking for flavor chasing!

Bob Mars

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice man, I have tried all kinds of coils over the years and I kinda landed with the ones I use after trial and error. I realy want to try and make little mini fused claptons maybe with 28 or 30 or evin higher with multiple core wires with 38 or 40 wrap. I have a few ideas for stuff that might work just not the time to sit and do it.

I also love kho gen do pads too, I have to get more tho iv been using either muji or cotton bacon just because I have them and the bacon isent bad but for some reason the muji doesent last real long but I do use it. I kind of want to do my own tests on all the different cottons on the market to see what I like the best but it would take a lot of time and a lot of that stuff isent cheap. I was never able to get the Scottish roll wicking down, I have gotten it good before but not consistently.

But I agree with you I like a 70/30 blend too or evin 80/20 sometimes but if I find a juice I realy like I buy 2 bottles and stick one or more in my closet to steep it and as I use them I replace them and let them steep as I use the previous bottle. I used to speed steep by leaving them in my car in the summer and shaking them every time I get in to go somewhere. But I haven't tried the microwave i dident know you could do it that way.

I ran across a video review that talked about making a clapton for flavor. You might be interested.. :)

Maximum Flavor Build!! by Z Vapor

Mechman4Ev

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMG_4618.JPG IMG_4625.JPG Cotton bacon v2 user here. Have tons of rayon and organic cotton but nothing tastes as clean as the bacon v2. Favorite falvor attys are narda, pulse 22 and "the flave". Narda and the flave rocking kanthal 24g 4 wraps 3mm @ .35ish ohms. Pulse 22 kanthal clapton 26/32 paralleled with single kanthal 24g 4 wraps 3mm @ .25 all rocking cotton bacon v2 and all have amazing flavor and the pulse chucks some clouds to boot. Ive been finding thicker 24g kanthal to give awesome flavor. Each atty has its own sweet spot but flavor does not only exist with small gauge wire and high ohm builds..its all a balance. Plus the thicker kanthal gives slower ramp up time allowing for longer draws, especially on the tight airflow attys like the narda. Everyones milage may vary but these setups are my daily go to's and wouldnt trade them for anything. Using coppervape mech squonk and therion bf although the mech squonk definitely gives a more satisfying vape. These small(ish) chambered single coil side direct (holed) airflow attys are where ive found my love for flavor. Narda, flave, pulse, recoil, hadaly are all direct/jet side airflow direct to/under coil. The kanthal paralleled single 24g with clapton 26/32 really kills it bc the 24g heats up first, but allows the clapton wire to heat up faster while not heating too fast itself due to the accompanied clapton taking heat from the 24g single. Sort of balances eachother out while still getting the bursting flavor from the clapton wire holding its own juice reserve

Last edited:

askalade

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you really want the best flavor you should be venturing into making more exotic coils or buy them from a professional builder.

The thing with vaping is usually > the more vapor the more flavor. Ofc this isn't always the case irl. Since there are alot of attys made to be vaped at lower wattages.

These attys have reduced chambers and small chimneys to kinda concentrate the vapor, being able to produce stellar flavor without the need of big exotic builds etc.

There are a lot of ppl that love these attys and the way they vape(think about the narda, kayfuns, o-atty).
BUT it is not the most flavor you will get. You usually get the most flavor with a little warmer vape (which you may not like).

The thing with building is. The lower the resistance of your coil,the less voltage it needs to power up,the faster it heats up and the hotter it gets.

I used to vape on cloud chasing builds in the beginning. I was rocking 22g ni80 or g-plat wire and strangely enough it gave me a ton of flavor. But it was a bit different.

Once you start building more exotic wires you start noticing. The thing is, with exotic wires. You're basically trying to increase surface area whilst keeping the same resistance like a low sub ohm cloud chasing build.

What this does is it enables you to get a more efficient vaporation, giving you a more saturated flavor.

Quick example > lets say you make a 22g ni80 dual coil build. It will ohm out at around 0.15 ohms and has a surface area of around 440 mm². A typical staple staggered fused clapton single coil build would ohm out around 0.15 ohms also BUT it has a surface area of 6275.56 mm².

So that means there is more than 10 times as much space for the cotton to touch the coil and saturate it with juice. Meaning you get a waaaaaay more efficient vaporisation.

Once you've tried an exotic coil once and go back to lets say a 22g build. You immediately notice. Its almost as if when you take a hit this happens > you take a 4 second hit > the first second the hit is saturated, 2nd second the hit is not really saturated anymore because the wicking doesnt keep on that well. 3rd hit saturated again and so on and so on.

Its kinda like taking multiple small dry hits in between while hitting it. It just doesnt wick very effectively.

I now have an alien staggerton in my goon (ordered it from raymo2u) and they are so insane. Its a warm and extremely wet vape. The surface area on these things is insane. W/e i take a hit it almost feels like the vapor is recondensating in my throath and becoming liquid again xD thats how much flavor i get 20171007_113137.jpg
This shit makes you drool like a baby

askalade

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And also i can confirm cotton bacon v2 is boss. Some ppl find it expensive but those are usually the people that never ordered it before. Since 1 pack lasts you longer than like those 200 muji pad packs. I rewick every day and 1 pack of cotton bacon v2 lasts me like a month. Its also the most easiest to work with imo and you waste almost nothing. Very good indeed

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And also i can confirm cotton bacon v2 is boss. Some ppl find it expensive but those are usually the people that never ordered it before. Since 1 pack lasts you longer than like those 200 muji pad packs. I rewick every day and 1 pack of cotton bacon v2 lasts me like a month. Its also the most easiest to work with imo and you waste almost nothing. Very good indeed
Funny... I started with cb and switched to ojc pads because I think they wick better and it is easier for me to work with. Also I waste less with the ojc pads. I can be so much more precise with the pads by measuring and cutting. With cb I would always grab a pinch and just have to eyeball it every time.

I also don't like having to twist pre-fluffed cotton to get it through my coils easily. The pads are sturdy enough that I usually get them through by only twisting the very end.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

I use 26 gauge Kanthal and made dual macro coils with 10 wraps and holy crap the flavor on that is so rich it's like drinking the the juice without getting a numb tingly gross feeling in your mouth but this morning I made a single zipper coil with only six wraps and it performs just as well as my dual macro coils and my dual macro coils run at 0.50 ohms but my zipper coil runs at 0.16 ohms for a single coil

VU Sponsors