Become a Patron!

Coil builds and wicking for flavor chasing!

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hooray for a flavor chasing corner! Let's talk about this "flavor chasing" as related to coils and wicking. It's such a fickle beast.

I have this grip of rda's and hundreds of feet of kanthal (22,23,24,25,26,28). I've tried duals and quads, twisted and parallels. I've even tried twisted parallels. I've done a clapton (meh) as well. My flavor rda's are my hobo, Derringer and stillare. Right now the hobo has 25ga duals at 0.3 ohms (rocks) and the Derringer has 26ga twisted at 0.2 ohms (not too shabby). The stillare is new to the family, still looking for a build that really shines on it. I usually wrap 1/8" coils for ease of wicking.

I've been wicking with Shiseido Japanese cotton for awhile but I still go back to regular organic cotton balls from time to time as well. I still haven't decided if I like the JC better and I got it 5 months ago....

What coil builds and top secret wicking materials/methods does VU use for the utmost in boner-inducing flavor?

One of my favorites so far was actually using a "cloud chasing" RDA/mod setup. MutationXv2 and IPV3. 24ga kanthal duals, 1/8", 10wraps. Very usable from 50W-100W. It let me try a wide range of wattages to see what facets each juice had at different power levels. I could close off the AFC as I dropped the wattage to keep the heat just right. It worked aight.

Your turn! :)

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
May sound boring but 7 wraps, 2mm, 26g kanthal. No frills. Great flavor.
Nothing wrong with some 26ga duals. That's my favorite size wire. Have you noticed a difference between 2mm and 3mm coils when related to flavor? I wrap a little smaller in my Derringer and hobo (2.4mm) so they will fit but I usually default to 1/8" or a little bigger than 3mm in my other attys. It's just easier to wrap and wick for me.

statseeker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I notice a slower ramp up but it isn't crazy. Just wrapped a 5 wrap micro coil set yesterday and the flavor is not as pronounced even though there's more vapor. So I'm moving back to 2 more wraps. Same diameter. 2mm.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried a 28g twisted kanthal at 2.4mm over the weakend and hated it! Could not get the flavor I was used to from my "go to" coil of 6 wraps of 26g Kanthal on a 2.4mm rod. Dual or single, I wick with Japanese cotton and get lots of flavor from both my Mutation X V3 and my Vertex V2. I have an authentic Derringer arriving tomorrow and I can't wait to play with that bad boy.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
28 or 26g parallel coil on my plume veil. Absolutely amazing flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I notice a slower ramp up but it isn't crazy. Just wrapped a 5 wrap micro coil set yesterday and the flavor is not as pronounced even though there's more vapor. So I'm moving back to 2 more wraps. Same diameter. 2mm.
I've been trying to find the right balance of surface area, ramp time and heat. I always want more surface area which slows ramp time and runs cooler. It's a tough balance to find.

28 or 26g parallel coil on my plume veil. Absolutely amazing flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talked into a stillare for flavor and I wish I had got the plume. No one complains about it.

And yes, 'small' wire paralleled FTW. I was going to try triple parallel 28 but it's a pain to wrap.

I really do very much want a Mutation X. I'd like to try some more complex coil builds.

I love the deck of my mxv1 and the AFC of my mxv2. I guess the v3 is the best all around. I like the 3 screw design. More room for wick and juice.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Flavor being subjective. For me, flavor is at watts 15 - 30, 28 to 32 kanthal, 1.5 to 2.5 mm diameter, on a device that has a smaller closed chimney. I stopped chasing flavor after I found my spot. lol, sound like I'm stuck in the past.
I've not vaped at high watts (30 - 100) so it's interesting to read.
Whatever it take to not smoke, works for us.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
for flavor...put those drippers on a shelf and get a genny.
Pardon my ignorance. I'm pretty unfamiliar w genny style attys. What makes the flavor so good? I have an Orchid that I love to vape but I can't take the darn thing anywhere without it peeing juice everywhere. It made me stop looking at RTA's altogether.

Flavor being subjective. For me, flavor is at watts 15 - 30, 28 to 32 kanthal, 1.5 to 2.5 mm diameter, on a device that has a smaller closed chimney. I stopped chasing flavor after I found my spot. lol, sound like I'm stuck in the past.
I've not vaped at high watts (30 - 100) so it's interesting to read.
Whatever it take to not smoke, works for us.

That last line, a million times over. I'm glad you found your spot and there's not a damn thing wrong with staying right there. :) I'm still looking for mine. Where I want to be is lots of flavor w a little cloud. A lot of my RDAs are wrong for that.

I read a comment where someone had put their KF drip tip on a mutation x and raved about the flavor. I could never use my KF drip tip (too small) but maybe a kanger aerotank DT would get a little better flavor than a wider RDA DT? I have some cloudy builds that start to drool with a "small" drip tip. Maybe I'll try my Derringer w some parallel 28ga coils and a small DT. I would like to do that in my hobo but I remember thinking that the last time I tightened one of the screws was the last time I was gonna tighten it before it strips. :mad:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
because gennys just give superior flavor on of the reasons of it has to do with the wicks used ss and ceramic.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
because gennys just give superior flavor on of the reasons of it has to do with the wicks used ss and ceramic.
Gotcha. I've been wanting to try some more wick materials in my RDA's to see if there's something better out there. I was led to believe my life would be changed when I switched form Organic Cotton to Japanese Cotton. It wasn't. It works though.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you can build a ss mesh wick in a dripper but it's not a newbie kinda project...of course that is unless your adventerous.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
you can build a ss mesh wick in a dripper but it's not a newbie kinda project...of course that is unless your adventerous.
I am adventurous but I've seen mixed reviews of SS wicked RDAs. I'll have to check it out though. I've heard people talking about silica wicks and low wattage for flavor as well.

I think I need a 14500 mod and rda setup. :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why...most rda are designed for cloud chasing with big airflows and low ohm coils draining alot of battery power....not being much of a dripper myself I'm not sure there are any 14500 batteries that can handle a high drain at a continous pulse....there maybe but i've never heard of any....

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Why...most rda are designed for cloud chasing with big airflows and low ohm coils draining alot of battery power....not being much of a dripper myself I'm not sure there are any 14500 batteries that can handle a high drain at a continous pulse....there maybe but i've never heard of any....
Not for cloud chasing. Smaller chamber, high ohms, low amperage, small form factor. But you're right. I'm not sure anyone even makes one because it's not ideal.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
look at the derringer...
I have one. I like it a lot. Hoping V2 has two o-rings, one at the top to keep juice from condensing and coming back down the outside of the sleeve. Kind of like a Hobo. Other than being a little drooly it's a great atty.

Right now I have a pair of twisted 26ga coils in the Derringer at about 0.2 ohms. It runs too hot for the stubby OEM DT though, had to swap DTs with my Atlantis (which still gets hot after chain vaping). I'm going to rebuild it with 28ga parallels I think. that way I can go back to the stubby DT and maybe even close off an airhole.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What gauge did you use to wrap your claptons? I was never happy with claptons until i started wrapping them with 38g N80. I'm finding it difficult to vape anything other than a clapton these days because the flavor in a lot of other coils just isn't there for me. Twistedmesses.com sells AWESOME clapton wire, i've been getting it from him for the last few months-very happy customer here.
ca9e94a1675d43f773091b6264ce1ed8.jpg

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's great to hear. I just did a non-fused 24ga wrapped w 28(?) and the ramp was too slow for me. Haven't attempted the fused yet because I realized 28 was to big for the wrap and haven't reordered kanthal in a long time. What gauge are your inner wires? I'm thinking parallel 26 wrapped w your 38 might be nice. Do you also use N80 for the inner wires?

Beautiful coil and pic BTW!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's great to hear. I just did a non-fused 24ga wrapped w 28(?) and the ramp was too slow for me. Haven't attempted the fused yet because I realized 28 was to big for the wrap and haven't reordered kanthal in a long time. What gauge are your inner wires? I'm thinking parallel 26 wrapped w your 38 might be nice. Do you also use N80 for the inner wires?

Beautiful coil and pic BTW!
Thank you! There was ribbon wire stacked inside this one. Lately i've been using 28g nichrome inside, the lower resistance allows for more wraps and that gets me a ton more flavor. I did however recently do a 22g kanthal/38g N80 dual coil and it was freakin' awesome. Both flavor and vapor were well above what just plain 22g will get you. I get my larger gauge nichrome 80 from www.jacobs-online.biz Their prices are outstanding and the N80 they sell is of fantastic quality. I paid $12 for 250ft of the 28/30g nichrome

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you! There was ribbon wire stacked inside this one. Lately i've been using 28g nichrome inside, the lower resistance allows for more wraps and that gets me a ton more flavor. I did however recently do a 22g kanthal/38g N80 dual coil and it was freakin' awesome. Both flavor and vapor were well above what just plain 22g will get you. I get my larger gauge nichrome 80 from www.jacobs-online.biz Their prices are outstanding and the N80 they sell is of fantastic quality. I paid $12 for 250ft of the 28/30g nichrome
Shoot, credit where credit is due. :)

I hadn't thought about stacked ribbon wire claptoned. I've had my head buried in DIY reading for months and haven't been paying attention to coils as much. I think I saw Jacobs selling 38ga N80 on eBay for a decent price. I'm not sure I want 250ft yet and that's TM's minimum. I know these claptons burn up some outer wire though.

Is there such a thing as a clapton that works well on a mech mod? I have 30, 70 and 165w regulated mods but I love love love my SMPLs. Regardless, where's a good place to start w a clapton? What about parallel 26ga Kanthal wrapped in 38ga N80?

I am trying to use up some of the kanthal I have if possible.

Thanks for all the help SCJ!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3/4 wrap of 27 gauge kanthal on a hot wrapped porous ceramic wick...nothing beats it for flavor.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
3/4 wrap of 27 gauge kanthal on a hot wrapped porous ceramic wick...nothing beats it for flavor.
Interesting. That goes against everything I know about coil surface area and flavor. And you just had to suggest a gauge I don't have didn't you? :p

You sure an extra wrap of 26 is no good? I'll have to look into ceramic wick. I'm in the dark on that (among many other things obviously).

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting. That goes against everything I know about coil surface area and flavor. And you just had to suggest a gauge I don't have didn't you? :p

You sure an extra wrap of 26 is no good? I'll have to look into ceramic wick. I'm in the dark on that (among many other things obviously).
28 will work just as well

Grendel6.5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gotcha. I've been wanting to try some more wick materials in my RDA's to see if there's something better out there. I was led to believe my life would be changed when I switched form Organic Cotton to Japanese Cotton. It wasn't. It works though.
Rayon. I use the Sally's beauty supply cellucotton 100% rayon fibers. Number on box is 44060. Huge thread on ecf about it and how it performs.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rayon. I use the Sally's beauty supply cellucotton 100% rayon fibers. Number on box is 44060. Huge thread on ecf about it and how it performs.
I called the local Sally and asked if they had it and she said no. I feel like she just didn't know what I was asking for or cared to find out though. Will stop by one day soon and grab some.

Thanks a lot for the info @Grendel6.5!

Grendel6.5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah the cotton and rayon fibers boxes are named the cellucotton and the boxes are pretty much identical so you must see 100% rayon fibers or go by the number on top right of box. 44060 is the one i bought. 500 feet for like 14 bux. I will pm you a pic of the box.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks! Does rayon work well when sub-ohming and running high wattages? I know the dry hit is really bad but other than that is there any problems at 70-100W?

Grendel6.5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sure does. Everything is addressed in the ecf rayon thread. Its 1200 pages so skip to the middle to get past the debating parts.

2buildawall

Member For 4 Years
I like Readyxwick because the dry hits are not nearly as bad as cotton or Rayon. It holds a good amount of juice but not close to what cotton/rayon holds. Thought I would throw that out there.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always was kind of leery about readyxwicks,because of the amount of fibers that are created when you cut the stuff. it almost turns to powder and I was always worried about inhaling it.

2buildawall

Member For 4 Years
The ready wick I have cuts like rope. I don't get any powder or residue. Interesting, I understand your concern, and am going to keep an eye on that. Thanks!

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sure does. Everything is addressed in the ecf rayon thread. Its 1200 pages so skip to the middle to get past the debating parts.
Lol only reading 600 pages is doable. I'll do that after I finish the FA Club thread here. Which will be late this year at my pace. :(

The Sally Beauty near me also had the Cellucotton in a much smaller plastic bag along with the box. The bag of Cellucotton was much less expensive than the box. It looks like the bagged Cellucotton will last me several years, where the box would probably last me several lifetimes. (And calling Sally Beauty probably isn't going to get you much info. My take is that this stuff is a beauty shop staple, and every Sally's is going to have it.)

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
b08e4bcb315d94eaeb699a48e3a8fb7c.jpg

It was my 1st coil i went with 28g a1 47ohms and love it im going to try something different next time

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Sally Beauty near me also had the Cellucotton in a much smaller plastic bag along with the box. The bag of Cellucotton was much less expensive than the box. It looks like the bagged Cellucotton will last me several years, where the box would probably last me several lifetimes. (And calling Sally Beauty probably isn't going to get you much info. My take is that this stuff is a beauty shop staple, and every Sally's is going to have it.)
Awesome news. Thanks a lot. I'm trying to get by there asap and grab some. Working too much this week. Need to carve out some mixing time too. Arg.

b08e4bcb315d94eaeb699a48e3a8fb7c.jpg

It was my 1st coil i went with 28g a1 47ohms and love it im going to try something different next time
Nice. Twisted 28? 4.7 ohms?

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome news. Thanks a lot. I'm trying to get by there asap and grab some. Working too much this week. Need to carve out some mixing time too. Arg.

Nice. Twisted 28? 4.7 ohms?
Yep i was shooting for .50 but ended up with .46 on dual 28 gauge twist

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got a lunch break today and went to Sally for some rayon. Guess I looked like I needed help when I walked in.

Nice employee lady - "what can I help you find?"
Me - "cellucotton rayon"
Nice employee lady - "for a vaporizer?"
Me - "yeah"
We start walking back toward it.
Nice employee lady - "I think I'm going to start selling this stuff on the street corner as a side job. Here it is and yes that's the smallest box we have."

:D

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With regard to wicks, I tried out the Drago Egyption cotton for the hell of it last week. Love the stuff so far, mainly for one reason. It is a LOT more forgiving when it starts to get dry. I've found (in my limited time vaping) with other cottons, when it gets dry it goes from fine one time when you hit it to tasting like someone lit a sock on fire and stuck it in your mouth on the next. Drago doesn't do that so fast; don't know why. I got some from Fluidvapes for like 6 bucks for a roll of it. I want to check out the rayon as well..

The only con I have about Drago really is that it isn't quite as easy to work with. But the flavor is there, it wicks well, and seems more resistant to dry hits.

Just my $.02...

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With regard to wicks, I tried out the Drago Egyption cotton for the hell of it last week. Love the stuff so far, mainly for one reason. It is a LOT more forgiving when it starts to get dry. I've found (in my limited time vaping) with other cottons, when it gets dry it goes from fine one time when you hit it to tasting like someone lit a sock on fire and stuck it in your mouth on the next. Drago doesn't do that so fast; don't know why. I got some from Fluidvapes for like 6 bucks for a roll of it. I want to check out the rayon as well..

The only con I have about Drago really is that it isn't quite as easy to work with. But the flavor is there, it wicks well, and seems more resistant to dry hits.

Just my $.02...
Yes spot on i just got drago cotton as well and its so good i dont get no after taste and it soaks up vape like a mad man i love it the only problem i have with it is its kinda hard to wick other than that 9.8 out of 10

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Just my $.02...
For me using more cotton keeps that instant dry hit from happening. The way I was first taught to wick got me the "fine one hit and omfg I never want to vape again the next hit". I started wicking like yosh vapergate on YT does and you get a couple warning hits that way.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use cotton bacon, does the job.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years