Become a Patron!

Coil Lifetime

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Being new to this rebuildable stuff, how long can I expect a set of fused claptons to last on a Zeus X RDA?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's so many factors that can affect coil life. Your juice, vaping habits, cleaning method, type of wire, ect. can all play a factor. When it loses flavor or starts tasting burnt or off, change the cotton and clean the coils. I dry fire them at a low wattage setting. As soon as they start to glow, I let off the trigger. After a few dry burns, I'll maybe use a wire brush if there's still crud on there.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a set of twisted n80 last just over 2 years. I was just trying to see how long they would last. But every 5-10 days I cleaned by dry burning until glowing and putting under running water, then cleaned with a brush before drying the coils and re wicking. They were .4 ohm and I was only running 32 watts. By the time I changed the coils to new ones the flavor had diminished greatly even after cleaning and wicking, but the point of my test was to see if the coil would finally break from constantly heating and cooling and how long the flavor would stay good.

But with coils there are just too many variables to know how long they will last. My rule of thumb is when I re wick if it gunks up quicker or the flavor has diminished it's time to change.

I keep a little book that I write what day, time, coil type and material, wick material, and what juice was being used was either re wicked or the coils changed, so I can keep record of how long they are lasting and if they are starting to fade

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coil for og Crown? If so not surprised.
No, the Uwell Rafale and I also have a Drag Max PnP VM-6 at almost 13K right now. I have always vaped at at least half the Wattage for coils and get great life but never like these two tanks/coils.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I change my coils every couple months, no matter if they need it or not. Dry burn, clean, and rewick about once a week.

I have ran the same coil for around a year straight before to see how long it would last. It lasted, I just gave up after I realized it was that old.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you take care of them, they'll last for months and months.

As others have said, when flavor gets muted or off, or the coil starts spitting at you, remove the wick and dry burn the coil to clean it, then replace the wick and keep on truckin.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My friends have covered everything that matters, but just to chime in.

Especially if you vape at low to moderate power and don't over-cook them while dry firing, the metal coils will last pretty much indefinitely.

Some people change them often, some hardly ever. Personal preference.

Kanthal is the most durable of the common wire materials. Stainless the least. But even stainless will last until you don't like the vape it's providing for some reason.

With the POSSIBLE exception of nickel and titanium, the metal will never become actually dangerous and even if it were to, it would be the result of something foolish,. Not just because the metal got older.

The bottom lines is, if you find a coil/s you really like, there's no NEED to change it/them only because you've been using it/them for a certain amount of time.

I have a pair of twisted Kanthal coils in a Heracles RTA2 the past 2 1/2 years and they still vape fine :)

The wicking (cotton) of course is another matter. That must be changed with regularity. How often will depend on a bunch of factors.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What Guage wire do you guys recommend? I got a roll of 28 GA. Fused Clapton Kanthal A1 28gx2+32g.

This gonna work?
Another huge topic :)

Yes, that will "work." Meaning it will vape safely. Whether it turns out to be what you like best can only be known by your trying a bunch of different configurations.

Personally, I think 32 is a little heavy for the wrap wire, but that doesn't mean it won't "work,"

What kind of vape are you after with the Zeus X? High power cloud chasing? Lower power flavor? Something in between?

What device are you using it with?

With building your own, the possibilities are endless. As in like REALLY endless :)

For now, you have that pre-spun wire there, so try it and see what you think.

There's also some folks around here who can sell you some of theirs at a reasonable price if you wanted to try some different configurations.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I fully agree with all of what @gsmit1 said above.

I too think 32 is a bit thick for a wrap wire. It will work, but it will require more power to make it work. The heat up and cool down will be pretty slow. 36-40g is more appropriate to get the best performance. The thinner the wire, the quicker it reacts. But thinner stuff is also harder to work with. If you want good performance, and still have a fairly easy time wrapping the coil wire I would go with 36 or 38g. It is a lot harder to work with 40g especially if you are new to wrapping wire.

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My interest is more towards flavor then clouds. I mean clouds are cool but I would rather have the flavor. I vape with the GeekVape Aegis Solo. I typically run it on Bypass as I have a few tanks I swap in and out that have different wattages.

So the 32g indicates the gauge of the wire instead of the 28g?

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My interest is more towards flavor then clouds. I mean clouds are cool but I would rather have the flavor. I vape with the GeekVape Aegis Solo. I typically run it on Bypass as I have a few tanks I swap in and out that have different wattages.

So the 32g indicates the gauge of the wire instead of the 28g?
28g is the core wire size. The 32g is the wrap wire size.

With the wire you mentioned above, it has two strands of 28g then those wires have a single strand of 32g wrapped around them to bind them together and make it all one piece. Here is a pic for reference.
Ninja_Wire_Fused_Clapton_Designer_Wire_core_detail__58009.1491478921.jpeg

Try finding some wire with a thinner wrap wire size, like 36g or 38g. It will save battery power, and the flavor is great off of them. www.Wireoptim.com has a nice selection of premade coils and wire.

VU Sponsors