Become a Patron!

Coil wattage recommendation issue

Ok so I am currently using the geekvape z series coils. I use a .4 coil but my issue is that the chart on geekvape's website has the listed recommended wattage at 50 to 60 watts. But the coils themselves say 60 to 70 watts. So now I am confused as to were I should set the wattage on my mod. Which range would yall go with the one on website or the one on the coils themselves?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Disregard any wattage recommendations on any manufactured coil head type coil. Except for the max wattage. Run it no more than about 85% of stated highest wattage [that's on the coil], to prolong life/not burn through it quickly. No limit to how low, other than how it vapes/what you like. If you want more vapor/power than that 85%, get lower resistance coils. Like, .2/.3

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I always start them off low at about 40 to 45 watts then slowly work my way up until I hit the sweet spot.
It gives it a chance for the coil to break in.
I have some 0.5ohm coils that work great at around 50 watts
I'd imagine 0.4ohms would need a tiny bit more power but not more than 10 watts.
I would recommend staying at 55 at least for a little while. I'm not saying it would hurt to crank it up 2 or 3 watts at a time to see if the sweet spot is a little higher.
You may end up liking 64 watts or even 48 watts.

The sweet spot to me is when you can just tell the tank is working at optimal levels. You can take large puffs with no burning taste, the airflow seems to flow and sound perfect, and most importantly the flavor is the best out of any other setting on the mod.

Yeah so I have just been vaping them at the 55 to 60 watts range and that has been working well for me. Flavor is great and I have had no issues with spit back. Anything over 60 watts just hit the throat to hard for my liking. The two ranges just have to confused so figured I would see what other on here recommend. I think I will just stick to the 55 to 60 watts then.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The one thing that no one said about going lower than the recommended wattage range is that if you set wattage too low, the e-liquid may not be vaporized properly, and that results in (1) gurgling and spitting, and (2) gunk building up on coils a lot faster.

In the case you describe, 55 to 60 watts sounds fine. Even 40 to 45 watts is probably fine. But if you go really low, like 25 or 30 watts, you might run into the gurgling and gunking problem.

Just for future reference, really.

That is a good point because when I first started vaping with this setup I was vaping it at 35 watts and I did in fact have a issue with spit back and the coil getting flooded. So then I up the wattage to 50 then 55-60 range and now it runs just fine. No spit back and no flooded coils.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I greatly appreciate all the awesome information that I get from this site for sure. Joining this site was a great decision.

Joining VU was for me like the other "mistake" a judge told me I could avoid by ducking out a back door. "Son, you don't need to make a mistake and marry her. There's a back door."

"Appreciate that sir, if marrying her is a mistake though, she'll be the best damn one I make in my life. Let's get us hitched, huh?"

"Good call boss, we're off then."

22-24 years later, still not shot her, or myself. *grin* Guess "sumpin" is going alright.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I tend to run coils on the low side (especially when breaking in) I use some Vaporesso coils (dual mesh type) at 45-50 watts and they work fine (they are rated for 50+) I like a cooler vapor than some people. I still get plenty of vapor and flavor is better (than using higher power)

Yeah I was vaping at 35 watts which gave me great flavor and decent clouds but then I started to get some spit back. So I up my power to 50-60 watts and the spit back went away. So now I vape at 55 watts. And usually turn it down to 50 watts once the flavor starts to die off. I also sometimes vape a 60 watts if I am in the mood for a stronger throat hit. Anything over 60 watts the throat is to much for my liking.

The juice I am using is 70/30. From a brand called juice head. I have been vaping their orange mango and their strawberry kiwi. I also have a bottle of Brewed awakening classic by Caribbean could. That one doesn't list a vg/pg ratio though. But they are all great in my opinion. But the juice head orange mango is my favorite so hard. Now that I have my setup figured out I am looking forward to testing out some other e-juices for sure though. Also planning on getting an RTA next month as well.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Rebuildable resistance & wattage almost always change from sub ohm coils.

VU Sponsors