VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

1621651088333.png

I just saw some half assed "public health" twitter account from the Midwest say that smoking was killing people with Covid so you needed to quit right away... in the middle of a Covid pandemic.
Nicotine withdrawal sounds like a really stupid idea right now if nicotine is helping people not die of covid.

Wouldn't it be fun if some smoker in the US who is rich enough decided to get creative and sued one of these agencies?
The "If you were honest and I switched to vaping I wouldn't be dying right now" defense.
We are an extremely sue happy country.
Think about it this way
People have sued red bull for not growing wings... and WON 13 million!!!
So I guess anything is possible.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I think all ex smokers should put together a class action suit to recover our share of the MSA money...

That's the thing.
The MSA was created because individuals were starting to win multi million dollar cases against the tobacco companies.
Big Tobacco knew they didn't have a million dollars for every smoker so they worked in conjunction with the government to create a scheme where smokers could no loner sue the tobacco companies.
Instead they would provide the Government with a bunch of money to dole out as it sees fit to cover smoking related healthcare costs and youth prevention campaigns.

like 80% of the money is used on non tobacco related shit
Some states are really bad. So bad that 95% of the money goes to where it was never supposed to go.
Then there are the bonds. :facepalm:
Some states owe more money on the bonds each year than the tobacco money brings in. so they raise taxes on the poor to pay for their fuck ups.

The MSA is nothing more than the government bailing out big tobacco, and protecting them from the people they had harmed for a large lump sum payment.
Rising "sin" taxes are nothing more than the government's way of recouping the money that they had severely mismanaged for 23 years and counting.

You're right. Someone should sue them for this.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Exactly , much of the money goes to ANTZ and advertising agencies, Pretty sure Marvel Entertainment had a windfall.

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If they wanted to stop people from smoking it seems letting Big Tobacco be sued out of existence would work. Instead our “leaders” decide to bail them out, to big to fail no doubt. The hypocrisy our representatives in government display on the daily is really disturbing.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Exactly , much of the money goes to ANTZ and advertising agencies, Pretty sure Marvel Entertainment had a windfall.
If they used older adults in some of those stupid commercials instead of just kids, they might reach a wider audience... but they are just too stupid to do that. But then, look how stupid the messages are. Metal monsters and peer pressure? Really?

VU Sponsors