Become a Patron!

COVID 19, AND VAPING, did you contract Covid 19 or .............................

Just out of curiosity did you as a vaper contract COVID 19 or do you know any vaper that has?

Just wondering if PG plays a roll in helping prevent Covid 19.
No. It doesn't, only if you vape the vaccine , that's the only way it could prevent the Covid :))

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a random thought.
People are now hoping for a vaccine. Let's stay locked down until a vaccine is widely available.
Sounds great.
Well...
AIDS/HIV has had 4 decades of intense research worldwide. No vaccine.
Influenza has a vaccine. How effective is it? If it were any other product, you'd demand your money back.

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

I hope I'm proven wrong here, but I'm not betting I will be.

For my own safety, I wear a mask when in stores and the gym. Wash or sanitize my hands often. Stay away from people without a mask. Keep distance from those I do not know.

Funny, I can't think of what wearing a mask has to do with freedom. Yet, I see people in McDonald's sounding like a sailor demanding their 'rights' and coming to blows over mask wearing. I can't see any employee enforcing a mask mandate. Take a page out of the Chinese playbook. Deputize neighborhood enforcers and back them with the police when needed.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
He may be correct but many others disagree.
It is an opinion piece after all.
It is an opinion piece but 3oo out of 3oo full recoveries is hard to argue with

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is an opinion piece but 3oo out of 3oo full recoveries is hard to argue with
Ah but would the result have been the same if they had not had the drugs?
The vast majority of cases make a full recovery without any/minimal treatment.

don't get me wrong I would like for this to work but must go with the majority of the experts on this.

I have a meteorite deflector on my Blazer. Must work I have not been hit yet...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ah but would the result have been the same if they had not had the drugs?
The vast majority of cases make a full recovery without any/minimal treatment.
Guess there is no way to quantify that angle. However, I’ll still argue that they killed the use of the drug far too early.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess there is no way to quantify that angle. However, I’ll still argue that they killed the use of the drug far too early.

It would require a VERY large blind study to validate. Or very rapid astounding results.
I am pretty sure that the French did a very large study. Might not have been them but the Romulans instead. I get them confused.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It would require a VERY large blind study to validate. Or very rapid astounding results.
I am pretty sure that the French did a very large study. Might not have been them but the Romulans instead. I get them confused.
I would trust the Romulans more than the French

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would trust the Romulans more than the French
LOL I thought Worf said they are without honor?
but he said that about a lot of species...

But without the French we would still be part of England....
But they allow snails on their dinner plates...
Decisions, decisions...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it works this will be Moderna's first product brought to market.
Hope it is safe and works well.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just a random thought.
People are now hoping for a vaccine. Let's stay locked down until a vaccine is widely available.
Sounds great.
Well...
AIDS/HIV has had 4 decades of intense research worldwide. No vaccine.
Incorrect. A vaccine against HIV does exist, and was developed by Janssen Pharmaceutical in my country (Belgium), but unfortunately it isn't very effective because the HIV virus is an extremely complex one.
Influenza has a vaccine. How effective is it? If it were any other product, you'd demand your money back.
Incorrect. A study concluded that vaping as a stop smoking aid is only 18% effective, which makes it less than half of the effectiveness when compared to the influenza vaccine so, if I were you, I'd stay as far away from vaping and vaping forum websites as possible. :hint:
CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

I hope I'm proven wrong here, but I'm not betting I will be.
Whether it is only between 40% and 60% or not is irrelevant to the fact it saves lives. See my above comparison to vaping.
For my own safety, I wear a mask when in stores and the gym.
The type of face mask that the CDC recommends the general public should wear is (almost) only intended to help protect bystanders in situations and in areas where the social distancing rule cannot be applied or cannot be guaranteed to be applied by everyone nearby. To the wearer of this this type of face mask, it offers little to no protection.
Wash or sanitize my hands often. Stay away from people without a mask. Keep distance from those I do not know.
If you really want to help to contain the epidemic, if you really have non fake feelings of empathy for those who have a compromised immune system (mostly the elderly, people who are overweight and/or suffer diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, and etc....), then you might also want to consider doing at least a little bit more research on the particular subject of how exactly the coronavirus is spread, and what can be done to slow down this spread. Because, one of the key important things to bear in mind is, limit the number of people you come in contact with. Even, if you know a lot of people and/or have a big family that you always want to keep in touch with. That's simply because this virus doesn't make the distinction between people you know and people you don't know. It's your free choice. However, your own personal responsability toward other human beings, how they might fare, is engendered by that choice.
Funny, I can't think of what wearing a mask has to do with freedom.
Please re-read my previous sentence above. You possess the freedom to be kind and caring... as do we all.
Yet, I see people in McDonald's sounding like a sailor demanding their 'rights' and coming to blows over mask wearing. I can't see any employee enforcing a mask mandate. Take a page out of the Chinese playbook. Deputize neighborhood enforcers and back them with the police when needed.
Stanley Milgram was an American. His famous study Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View was what got him expelled from the scientific community, his career as a respected scientist revoked, but that does not make his conclusions any less correct when it comes to how human empathy factually works, and, what that means is, responsability is still an ugly word.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Incorrect. A vaccine against HIV does exist, and was developed by Janssen Pharmaceutical in my country (Belgium), but unfortunately it isn't very effective because the HIV virus is an extremely complex one.

Incorrect. A study concluded that vaping as a stop smoking aid is only 18% effective, which makes it less than half of the effectiveness when compared to the influenza vaccine so, if I were you, I'd stay as far away from vaping and vaping forum websites as possible. :hint:

Whether it is only between 40% and 60% or not is irrelevant to the fact it saves lives. See my above comparison to vaping.

The type of face mask that the CDC recommends the general public should wear is (almost) only intended to help protect bystanders in situations and in areas where the social distancing rule cannot be applied or cannot be guaranteed to be applied by everyone nearby. To the wearer of this this type of face mask, it offers little to no protection.

If you really want to help to contain the epidemic, if you really have non fake feelings of empathy for those who have a compromised immune system (mostly the elderly, people who are overweight and/or suffer diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, and etc....), then you might also want to consider doing at least a little bit more research on the particular subject of how exactly the coronavirus is spread, and what can be done to slow down this spread. Because, one of the key important things to bear in mind is, limit the number of people you come in contact with. Even, if you know a lot of people and/or have a big family that you always want to keep in touch with. That's simply because this virus doesn't make the distinction between people you know and people you don't know. It's your free choice. However, your own personal responsability toward other human beings, how they might fare, is engendered by that choice.

Please re-read my previous sentence above. You possess the freedom to be kind and caring... as do we all.

Stanley Milgram was an American. His famous study Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View was what got him expelled from the scientific community, his career as a respected scientist revoked, but that does not make his conclusions any less correct when it comes to how human empathy factually works, and, what that means is, responsability is still an ugly word.

Hohum. I have an expert here.

No vaccine for HIV exists.

HIV.gov says:
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent HIV?
No. There is currently no vaccine available that will prevent HIV infection or treat those who have it.
HIV.gov

And, yes, there is a huge difference in an effective vaccine and one that is between 40-60% effective. When well matched to the strain of flu.
Are you going out and resume your 'before time' life with a 40% effective vaccine? Kids back in school?

BTW- Conflating the effectiveness of vaping with flu shots doesn't really work here.

I fully understand the use of masks. How can I insist on mask wear by others if I don't wear one myself? Thus, I wear one for my own selfish reasons.

As for who to associate with, golly, I should isolate myself. But wait! Do you know anything about me? My family? Are we retired, stay at home sorts? Bar hopping hipsters? Live in large cities, small towns, or maybe a farm? No, you know nothing about me, my family, my friends.

Which brings me to a good point. Since the virus hit, people have been beaten with "What about your grandparents!?" "We're all in this together" and other catchy phrases. By the 4M cases here, I'm going to guess that most don't give a rat's ass about others. Penalties however, seem to work wonders in obtaining compliance.

At some point, decisions will have to be made on how to keep the vulnerable safe while the rest go out and take their chances. I'd say that point will be around the first of the year, lacking an effective vaccine.

Timothy Leary was also an American psychologist . His famous studies into the effects of psychotropic drugs has as much to do with Covid as another discredited psychologist.

PS- If you are looking for personal responsibility, the US is a poor place to search.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At some point, decisions will have to be made on how to keep the vulnerable safe while the rest go out and take their chances. I'd say that point will be around the first of the year, lacking an effective vaccine.
Even with an effective vaccine. will take quite a while to innoculate the majority of people in the US and the world. Do not forget international travel... That is how this thing got here in the first place.

PS- If you are looking for personal responsibility, the US is a poor place to search.

That is for sure. Most everyone is a victim....

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hohum. I have an expert here.

No vaccine for HIV exists.

HIV.gov says:
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent HIV?
No. There is currently no vaccine available that will prevent HIV infection or treat those who have it.
I never said that it is available yet. They are currently testing it.
And, yes, there is a huge difference in an effective vaccine and one that is between 40-60% effective. When well matched to the strain of flu.
Are you going out and resume your 'before time' life with a 40% effective vaccine? Kids back in school?

BTW- Conflating the effectiveness of vaping with flu shots doesn't really work here.
That's what I said. Vaping is less than half as effective as flu shots so, if you bought a vape, then following your own logic, you should be asking your money back twice.
I fully understand the use of masks.
What you have posted about this particular subject thus far very clearly suggests otherwise.
How can I insist on mask wear by others if I don't wear one myself? Thus, I wear one for my own selfish reasons.
Yea, now that you mention it... you DO sound pretty selfish. An asshole, more like. For my own selfish reasons, I hope they also treat you like one. LOL!
As for who to associate with, golly, I should isolate myself. But wait! Do you know anything about me? My family? Are we retired, stay at home sorts? Bar hopping hipsters? Live in large cities, small towns, or maybe a farm? No, you know nothing about me, my family, my friends.
Incorrect. I DO know something about you. Specifically, I know that you're an asshole.
:bingo:
Which brings me to a good point. Since the virus hit, people have been beaten with "What about your grandparents!?" "We're all in this together" and other catchy phrases. By the 4M cases here, I'm going to guess that most don't give a rat's ass about others.
You sure sound like you live in a place where no one gives a rat's ass about anything or anyone. The word nihilist springs to mind.
Penalties however, seem to work wonders in obtaining compliance.

Therein lies the core of the problem. Not giving a rat's ass about the vulnerable isn't going to help with trying to keep them safe.
Timothy Leary was also an American psychologist . His famous studies into the effects of psychotropic drugs has as much to do with Covid as another discredited psychologist.
I hope you'll die from Covid-19. Because, if you really want me to, I can always be the bigger asshole. Case in point: being the bigger asshole is easy as pie.
I guess that also is part of the reason why I thank some kind of spiritual entity in the clouded heavens for the fact I am in Europe. It's not a big thanks or anything, but... a thanks, it is.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I never said that it is available yet. They are currently testing it.

Exist, available, why quibble? If one existed, it would be available. Kinda stupid otherwise, no?

That's what I said. Vaping is less than half as effective as flu shots so, if you bought a vape, then following your own logic, you should be asking your money back twice.

You seem to think that everyone who vapes wants to stop. I certainly do not, I enjoyed smoking, I currently enjoy vaping. You seem to have little to no logic.

I hope you'll die from Covid-19. Because, if you really want me to, I can always be the bigger asshole. Case in point: being the bigger asshole is easy as pie.

Oh, I doubt it. When needed, I put the 'A' in Asshole. You are a mere neophyte/dabbler.

Funny how quickly you reveal yourself to be the stereotypical blowhard type.
Facts, figures, opinions dressed as the gospel. Then, when challenged by actual facts, resort to name-calling.
But no actual sense/logic/reasoning. In a bar, people would roll their eyes when you walk in.

I guess that also is part of the reason why I thank some kind of spiritual entity in the clouded heavens for the fact I am in Europe. It's not a big thanks or anything, but... a thanks, it is.

Do you speak German? No? You're welcome.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exist, available, why quibble? If one existed, it would be available. Kinda stupid otherwise, no?
It is available for testing. :p
You seem to think that everyone who vapes wants to stop. I certainly do not, I enjoyed smoking, I currently enjoy vaping. You seem to have little to no logic.
Nope. Just following your own logic that surrounds your retarded remark about getting one's money back, and, FIY, many people who take the flu vaccine are enjoying the fact they don't have to painfully die from catching the flu so, please, do us all a big favor. Get cancer, and, please get cancer yesterday. Maybe if you die from cancer it will help save others because they no longer have to read all your misinformation about a vaccine. That would be a step forward in public health and an enjoyment.
Oh, I doubt it. When needed, I put the 'A' in Asshole. You are a mere neophyte/dabbler.
I'd like to see you try.
Funny how quickly you reveal yourself to be the stereotypical blowhard type.
Facts, figures, opinions dressed as the gospel. Then, when challenged by actual facts, resort to name-calling.
But no actual sense/logic/reasoning. In a bar, people would roll their eyes when you walk in.
Are these your facts? Grats on picking a fight over the internet BTW... ?
Do you speak German? No? You're welcome.
Why would I need to speak German? This forum is English only.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will no longer be posting an covid stuff on VU.
Covidiots, if they want to die for the economy let them.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Wife and I had something very much resembling covid in December....
Was nasty and unlike any cold/flu we had ever had.
Covid? who knows.

But taking no chances and doing full protection for the foreseeable future as we are both at pretty high risk.
I'm not doing a hi-five here but thank you for letting us know it was a very strange virus. Chuck and I were sick with the strangest virus mid January to late February. And each of us had different symptoms from the other. This was before we were aware of COVID-19. We both are immunocompromised, him with cronic asthma and me with COPD, bad. At the first sign he was sick, as always I run to our pharmacy and stock up on a bunch of face masks, gloves if we're out and tons of OTC cold meds. I indeed wore a mask for a week. Then I got sick. Very strange symptoms. He got better first then me, than we both went for round 2.

We strongly feel we had it. It was scary for both of us for a short period.

@f1r3b1rd I'm so glad you and your wife are okay!

Good hearing from you, and yours all survived.
I did not catch it so far but have been cautious with my habits.
Took 6 weeks off of work in April when we were hit the hardest.
Experts are predicting another big round of this in Oct, Nov
That was SO smart to remain home with your wife. God Bless you both.

And as you mentioned, we feel this fall is going to reek havoc with the virus when it gets cooler. No heat to help with minimizing the transfer of germs plus it will be cold and flu season. A lot of nose blowing, touching face and eyes...just bad!

Would be nice if it turned the current Zombies into normal humans.
I don't think those people will wake up and smell the coffee. Maybe some adults, but the teens and younger adults will probably get mad and riot if one of their own got sick.

50d0aa9a45919bf168d9a3cad46f9a48--one-piece-you-cant-fix-stupid.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not doing a hi-five here but thank you for letting us know it was a very strange virus. Chuck and I were sick with the strangest virus mid January to late February. And each of us had different symptoms from the other. This was before we were aware of COVID-19. We both are immunocompromised, him with cronic asthma and me with COPD, bad. At the first sign he was sick, as always I run to our pharmacy and stock up on a bunch of face masks, gloves if we're out and tons of OTC cold meds. I indeed wore a mask for a week. Then I got sick. Very strange symptoms. He got better first then me, than we both went for round 2.

We strongly feel we had it. It was scary for both of us for a short period.

@f1r3b1rd I'm so glad you and your wife are okay!

That was SO smart to remain home with your wife. God Bless you both.

And as you mentioned, we feel this fall is going to reek havoc with the virus when it gets cooler. No heat to help with minimizing the transfer of germs plus it will be cold and flu season. A lot of nose blowing, touching face and eyes...just bad!

I don't think those people will wake up and smell the coffee. Maybe some adults, but the teens and younger adults will probably get mad and riot if one of their own got sick.

50d0aa9a45919bf168d9a3cad46f9a48--one-piece-you-cant-fix-stupid.jpg
Thank you, now we’re just trying to do what we can to avoid getting it again.
we may not be so lucky second time around

VU Sponsors