Become a Patron!

Cthulhu Artemis RTA review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
First post here, so please excuse any formatting errors etc...

Disclaimer

The Cthulhu Artemis MTL RTA was sent to me by Sourcemore for the purposes of this review.

Introduction

The Cthulhu Mini Hastur has been my daily traditional tight MTL atty for a long time, so I was very interested to see Cthulhu release the Artemis and very happy to get one to review.

Considering the love I have the for Mini Hastur, there will be a lot of comparisons between the two.

DSC_0039.jpg

What do you get?

Spare frosted tank, alternative drip-tip, spare O-rings/screws and a selection of airflow inserts.

DSC_0062.jpg

First Impressions

It certainly doesn't look like a Mini-Hastur V2 – there's a lot more going on, it's much taller, it has a strange disk style top-cap, the section below the tank is divided into two.

Build quality is good, everything is easy to take apart and put back together, the three threaded sections are all very smooth.

Building

The deck is pretty basic and simple to work on, I managed to squeeze a 3.0mm 30g superfine clapton (my standard MTL wire) in there without too many issues. Nothing more complex then centering the coil, dropping it down a little and snipping the excess wire.

DSC_0069.jpgWicking is just as simple, with 3.0mm coils I thinned the cotton a little, with 2.5mm coils, I just fluffed the cotton and stuffed them into the wick ports, leaving a little cotton visible, but not touching the deck.

Airflow

This is where the Artemis is a little different – you have the standard airflow ring with 0.8mm, 1.2mm, 1.6mm, 2.0mm and 2.7mm holes – but you can also remove the underside of the deck and change the airflow pin that hits the coil – your choices are 1.0mm, 1.4mm, 1.8mm, and 2.0mm or you can leave the airflow pin out and have a 2.7mm hitting the coil. You can replace the pins on the fly without having to touch your build or getting juicy fingers, and there's no risk of melting/burning plastic inserts if your coil is too close.

DSC_0052.jpg

This system has some great pros and cons – it's very good for dialing in perfect airflow on a new build and makes sure the air hitting the coil has the correct pressure, however the ring to remove the base of the RTA is reverse threaded – when you screw the tank onto your mod, you **will** start to remove it the first few times – you eventually get used to this and learn to feel when everything is in place, but it does have a slight learning curve.

Flavor
  • First build – 3.0mm 30g MTL fused clapton. The flavor was good with the more open airflow settings, but the airflow didn't feel quite right, it's not that it felt tight – it just felt congested.
  • Second build – 2.5mm – same wire as above. Going down to a 2.5mm coil removed all airflow issues – this is the exact same build that I have in the Mini Hastur, so I tried the tightest two airflow pins and dialed the airflow ring down - this was a really nice vape, excellent flavor and throat hit, but not quite as good as the Mini Hastur.
  • Final and perfect build – 2.5mm 28g+36g clapton. This is the same wire that I put in more loose MTL atomizers such as the Galaxies RDTA, so I removed the airflow pin and opened it up fully and ran it at 28.5w for a really nice vape. However, there was something about the airflow (again) that didn't feel perfect, so I put the 2.0mm airflow pin in, took the airflow ring down to 2.0mm and discovered perfection – a medium loose MTL vape with reasonable cloud production, great throat hit and amazing flavor.
More than anything, due to the ease of build and swapping airflow pins, putting these three builds in was zero hassle.

Issues

Nothing to complain about, apart from the initial learning curve regarding the bottom of the deck and maybe a lack of coils.

Pros

• Very well made.
  • Easy deck to build on and wick.
  • Very versatile within the realms of MTL.
  • Amazing flavor with looser MTL.

Cons

• Not as good as the Mini Hastur for traditional tight MTL.
  • The base unscrewing when you put the atomizer on the tank will annoy you until you work it out.
Conclusion

I started testing the Artemis expecting it to be a replacement for the Mini-Hastur and it ended up being a replacement for my Galaxies RDTA.

Either way, it's a great RTA and I have zero hesitation recommending this one.

While the Artemis costs $36 from Cthulhu, if you use the discount code ARTE on Sourcemore's website, you can get it for the reduced price of $26.29

VU Sponsors