Become a Patron!

Danger of exploding and how high can I go?

Hey there, I've been vaping for a while now as an attempt to quit smoking although it's just the first I've decided to ask around since I've usually been able to google any inquiries I had until now. My query this time around regards something a bit more specific, so I figured I might as well.

I have a KBox Mini mod from a Kangertech TopBox Mini starter kit, replaced the tank with a Wismec Theorem(I'd like to say it's great, but both glass tanks have broken because I'm an idiot and the steel-braced kinda makes it hard to see how much juice I have left).

I've previously been using kanthal wires, so I usually sat at around .5 ohms and and vaping at about 25 watts. Now I got my hands on some clapton today; installed it(I think I did it right) and it seems to be working fine with the ohms reading at 1.36. What I wanna know is the possible dangers of this new wire. Like could my vape explode or something?

Also, I've always wanted to try going as high as possible with my vape, the KBox Mini goes up to 75 watts, just to maximize my vape really. So, to anyone with knowledge of the mod, how high can I go? I've never really played around with the temp control and stuff, so some advice there would be great as well.

I like to spew out big clouds, btw.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As @RatRacer said, you should be fine with a regulated mod.

With building, just make sure the resistance is what it should be. Lower indicates a short. Higher indicates a bad connection or possibly a damaged wire.

Check out steam-engine.org for wire builds. Will give you an idea where your build should measure. Plus a lot of other features for building and safety. Builder's best friend.

And welcome.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And most if not all cases of a battery exploding are due to poor battery care and/or improper use of a mechanical mod. Yours is regulated.

Basically keep loose batteries in a case, not rolling around in your pocket loose.

Inspect batteries for damage to the wrapper.

And don't use a mech mod until you have an understanding of safe building.

And you will not blow up.

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Welcome to VU
Regulated mods have built in safeguards that will prevent the mod from going past its safe output levels. It will cut off when you reach them.

Depends if your batteries match the output of the chip or not. A regulated mod like the SXM q class can pull like 36 amps off the cells but doesn't know if you have 10 amp batteries or 30...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, what the chip outputs is irrelevant. It's the amount of current it draws (input) that matters to the batteries. Input and output voltage and current aren't the same thing when dealing with variable wattage.

bmclaurin

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For variable wattage devices, it generally depends on: the constant discharge rating (CDR) of your battery, the efficiency (EFF) of the voltage converter in your mod, and the low voltage cutoff (LVC) of your mod. Here is a simple formula that will tell you the maximum wattage your cells can safely deliver on a typical variable wattage device:

LVC (in volts) x CDR (in amps) x EFF%

So let's say your mod uses 2x18650's in series, has a low voltage cutoff of 3.0 volts per cell (6.0 volts total), and has 90% efficiency. And let's assume you are using quality OEM 20A cells.

6.0v x 20.0a x 90% = 108 watts

I used the mod's LVC for conservatism. In reality, your cells will be able to safely deliver more wattage when they are not near depleted.

EDIT: Since OP is using a 1x18650 mod, the maximum safe wattage would be half of the above (54 watts) with 3.0v LVC and 20A cells. Using 30A cells would allow for safe usage all the way up to the device's maximum output rating, albeit with reduced runtime.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors