Become a Patron!

Dead Rabbit M RTA

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

I really like this RTA for reasons that I never expected.

However, this review would have merely been a ‘pretty good for a Mesh RTA’ review, if I hadn’t decided to try a regular coil build.

DSC01515.jpg
Product overview

The Dead Rabbit M RTA, is a 25mm, 3.0/4.5ml, top-to-side airflow RTA, designed primarily for mesh builds but…

More images are here

What do you get?
  • Dead Rabbit M RTA (fitted with 3.0ml straight glass)
  • 4.5ml bubble glass
  • 2×0.15ohm SS316L mesh
  • 2×0.25ohm KA1 mesh
  • 4x6.0mm ageleted cotton
  • multi-purpose tool
  • spares
This isn’t a bad haul at all, four mesh strips and four pieces of cotton are more than I’d expect.

First impressions

There’s no hiding from the fact that this is very reminiscent of the Profile M RTA. However, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing – the Profile M RTA performed very well, but it (and a few other recent Wotofo releases) suffered from a slight feeling of cheapness.

There are no such issues with the Dead Rabbit M RTA, it’s well put together and has an overall feeling of solidity.

DSC01528.jpg

Build
  • Mesh builds are a very similar process to building on a Profile, bend the mesh strip around the supplied tool, undo the clamps, secure the mesh and make sure it maintains its shape.
  • Wicking for a mesh build is a little easier than on Profile RTAs, the cotton goes through with the perfect amount of resistance. As with anything mesh, a lot of fluffing, thinning, trimming and shaping is required. My general rule for wicking mesh is: Plenty of wick under and near the mesh, everything else it thinned and fluffed a lot, but leaving enough volume to fill the juice ports.
  • Wire builds are very simple, I pre-cut my coil lead to about 6mm, although this doesn’t have to be exact, there’s enough space in the clamps to allow height adjustment. I then opened the coil legs to a slight V shape and then secured the coil. The first time I did this, I didn’t think to remove the plastic wick platform, and dry burned my coil with it in place, nothing melted but for subsequent coil builds, I removed this platform.
  • Wicking the coil build is easy, but quite long wicks are required. Just fluff and thin the wick, keep them long enough to put into the juice ports and it’s all good. No special techniques are required for a wire build on this RTA.
How does it perform?
  • Mesh builds
The 0.15ohm mesh strip performs very much like you’d expect from a mesh build, strong flavor, with a slightly cool and dry vapor. This mesh strip is rated for 50-60w and I wouldn’t push it any further, 60w feels like you’re getting close to the limits of the wicking.

The 0.25ohm mesh strip is a little different, the flavor is strong, but it also has a little more detail to it. What surprised me was that the vape was moist, which is not usually a characteristic of mesh builds. With airflow closed down about 30% at 45w, and with airflow fully open at 50w, this is a nice vape that worked especially well with fruits.

DSC01547.jpg
  • Coil builds
This part of the review nearly didn’t happen, I had finished testing the mesh builds and noticed a picture of a regular coil build on Hellvape’s website.

My first build was a random and unknown spec coil that I had kicking around, once the build was in place I started it at 35w and it was really nice, so I put it up to 40 and then 45w and spent the rest of the day chain-vaping it. This was quite a similar vape experience to the 0.25 mesh build.

Next build was a 0.4ohm 28g triple-core fused clapton. This build was even better, I would quite happily put this RTA with this build up against any recent single-coil flavor banger RTA, it’s that good. From 40-60w, the wicking keeps up well, the flavor is top quality and heat management is good. This build worked equally well with pastries as it did with fruits.

DSC01568.jpg

Airflow

Even fully open, the airflow is slightly restricted and smooth.

Mesh compatibility

Although I haven’t tested it, the mesh for this RTA is 16×6.8mm which makes is compatible with mesh for the original Profile RDA, PS, Unity and M RTA.

Conclusion

As a mesh RTA, it’s a nice vape especially with the 0.25ohm mesh – but with the added bonus of it being even better with a conventional build in it.

Disclaimer

The Dead Rabbit M RTA was provided by Hellvape for the purposes of this review.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice review! thanks_sign_0092.gif

I have a Wotofo Profile sitting on an ancient IPV 4s, IMHO it's a good and very no-fuss atty once ya get the hang of it. I'd be more inclined to try this newer one out now. (kinda quit buying things awhile ago)

VU Sponsors