Become a Patron!

Diacetyl truth...

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24635357

This is an article that has recently come to my attention and brings up some really good points. As of now I believe the only set limit for diacetyl exposure is at 136ppm (don't quote me but i believe it was the EU or UK that set this workplace limit). This is the exposure limit given the following, little or no ventilation in the work place and heavy breathing from hard manual labor.

This article suggest that the limit should be reevaluated due to the exposure of diacetyl from traditional cigarettes. Also given these people both worked in a factory and smoked cigarettes diacetyl exposure would be cumulative. This is very fascinating because it really points out that a complete avoidance of diacetyl isn't necessary. Im not say its safe, Im not saying its harmless, just not near as toxic as the industry has been led to believe.

From my experience and the few test results I have seen, the average diacetyl containing e-liquid is somewhere between 20-50 ppm. This is 16.6% the amount of diacetyl found in your average traditional cigarette.

This really does set a limit and a standard for people to follow in the crafting of e-liquid, and more importantly it sets a guideline for the customer to know how much diacetyl is too much.

Lets get this information out and start reeducating people on this substance.

Mesh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are safe and unsafe levels of diacetyl. But haven't DIY companies like FlavourArt shown that you can make great desert flavours without using diketones?

VU Sponsors