Become a Patron!
When I replaced the two Nichrome fused claptons on my Digiflavor Drop rda, one side lit up quickly and was very bright. The other was very slow and the light was dimmer. I know that sometimes there is a slight difference in the ramp up time and brightness, but these dual coils were significantly different. I tried two other coils with no change. The legs weren't touching the deck either. I also positioned the coils higher and lower on the posts which didn't help. Can you tell me what might work short of calling customer service? Thank you

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like uneven coils or a poor connection to the posts. Spaced or contact coils?
Premade coils? Assuming in power mode eh? What mod are you using and what settings?

Pretty hard to mess up a Drop RDA, massive room in there. Original Drop or the newer? Pic would be helpful. :)

I've only used single coil builds on my Drop though.

Creature0069

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mismatched coils, post screws not tightened sufficiently or some gunk in the post holes/screws creating a bad connection.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, they are prebuilt Coilology Nichrome fused Claptons. I am using Power mode on the Drag II. I started at 35 watts and gradually went up 5 watts at a time until I reached 80
Mismatched coils, post screws not tightened sufficiently or some gunk in the post holes/screws creat
watts. The ohm is .17 per coil. I removed half of the deck to clean out any juice that may be there so I need to replace it and attach the legs to the posts again. Also, it's a plain Digiflavor Drop rda, not a Solo.

Mismatched coils, post screws not tightened sufficiently or some gunk in the post holes/screws ichrome a bad connection.
There are 10 Coilology Nichrome fused Claptons coils per container. A few coils do seem to a little larger than others, but I was careful to match them. The legs are skinny, though, and screwing them to the posts can be a bit difficult. I was thinking of trying the Coilology Nichrome fused Staples which are wider. The reason that I wanted to use a smaller coil was to possibly reduce the heat. My lips have gotten burned.

Sounds like uneven coils or a poor connection to the posts. Spaced or contact coils?
Premade coils? Assuming in power mode eh? What mod are you using and what settings?

Pretty hard to mess up a Drop RDA, massive room in there. Original Drop or the newer? Pic would be helpful. :)

I guess for some reason my previous reply didn't post (I'm new to the site). The coils were even (I'm very picky about that). I had to be very careful to make sure that the Coilology Nichrome fused Claptons were connected to the posts because the legs were skinny. What do you mean by spaced? The Digiflavor Drop has a dual deck. The coil legs didn't touch the deck.
When I replaced the two Nichrome fused claptons on my Digiflavor Drop rda, one side lit up quickly and was very bright. The other was very slow and the light was dimmer. I know that sometimes there is a slight difference in the ramp up time and brightness, but these dual coils were significantly different. I tried two other coils with no change. The legs weren't touching the deck either. I also positioned the coils higher and lower on the posts which didn't help. Can you tell me what might work short of calling customer service? Thank you

I took a video. I haven't shared a video before so it's not the greatest. I think you'll see the issue, though.

Attachments

• 20200719_204349.jpg
    20200719_204349.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200719_204259.jpg
    20200719_204259.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 17

I couldn't add the video. The site wouldn't accept it because it was too long, I guess. I added pics of the coils and mod settings. I changed to an Aegis X mod, also.

Dude, look at your pics - the leads on the non-firing coil nowhere near being tight enough. Screw them in.
Dude, I did screw the coil legs in tight and they had contact, but it was difficult to get the legs centered because they were too skinny and the number of wraps too few for the space between the posts. So, I decided to try coils with wider legs, Geekvape fused staple aliens. That worked, finally. I do appreciate your suggestions. Thank you.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dude, I did screw the coil legs in tight and they had contact, but it was difficult to get the legs centered because they were too skinny and the number of wraps too few for the space between the posts. So, I decided to try coils with wider legs, Geekvape fused staple aliens. That worked, finally. I do appreciate your suggestions. Thank you.
That hot spot on the leg of the coil in the pic makes it look like it was a loose or poor connection. The wider coil probably let you get a better connection. But that coil still looks like it was loose or something.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I saw that same thing, screws on the non-firing coil didn't appear to be tightened down nearly as tight as the other side.

When you look really closely, too, it looks like one leg of the firing coil was sticking out the bottom of the grub screw enclosure and could possibly have been shorting out against the deck platform.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have to agree. It doesn't look like it is tightened up very well.

For the hat trick, I agree.

That hot spot on the leg of the coil in the pic makes it look like it was a loose or poor connection.

Would try so "strumming" maybe luckily seat the legs better with it. Also would help spread the load on the wire. Have to like ceramic tweezers. :)

I saw that same thing, screws on the non-firing coil didn't appear to be tightened down nearly as tight as the other side.

When you look really closely, too, it looks like one leg of the firing coil was sticking out the bottom of the grub screw enclosure and could possibly have been shorting out against the deck platform.
Thanks for your response. It's nice to know that there are knowledgeable like-minded people who are willing to help me. Have you read my replies to other members? The fused Claptons didn't have enough wraps for the distance between the Digiflavor Drop's posts.The legs had to be stretched to go to the posts, plus they were very thin. You'd think it would be easy to tighten those, but it wasn't, probably because they had to go to the posts at an angle. After following all of the suggestions and triple checking everything I did without success, I decided to try changing the type of coils to the Geekvape Framed Staple Alien which are longer and have wider wire. It worked. They didn't have to stretch and were parallel to the posts. I think the main problem was the width of the coils. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Perhaps my discovery will help someone else.

VU Sponsors