Become a Patron!

distance between coil legs

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am building several RDAs and a RTA. I need to order some pre-wound coils but need to know how well they will fit my build decks (distance between mounting holes relative to distance between coil legs) Right now, I want to build my new RTA (QP juggerknot MR) My best estimate of the distance between the mounting holes is 6-7mm. Going with simple 2 core claptons. I have a few choices... some are 5 wrap, some are 6 wrap. Unfortunately, this is not a spec they list (that would be very helpful) Any advice/suggestions? Considering ordering from WireOptim. Eventually, I might get spools of wire and wind my own but for now want pre-wound coils.
@Vape Fan , I know you have this RTA... what do you use?
In the past, I made my own coils from simple round wire. I could choose how many wraps to match the build (and choose contact vs spaced coil)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I use coils that I stocked up on a year ago, some can't be had, others are claptons in a resistance I like or can use. If they have long legs, I like being able to add a wrap if i want to.
Mine needs a new build and I can measure for you.
Mostly its been 5/6 wrap, or 5.5 since the legs/leads point in the same direction.

I'll have more on what I do later this evening.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
This is me:
3x28/36 N80 5/6 wrap, 3mm ID, Lands @ .4Ω
It is 7.4mm long
1676875582465.jpeg
Gets closer to 6 wraps because on a rod I wrap the 2 leads around a little more, and crimp them a little so they go straight down into the post holes. Its still easy if you don't do that.
1676875773406.jpeg
1676901553375.jpeg

I cut the leads to 3.5mm and hold the coil down with a graduating rod and tighten grubs, center, straighten, and pull up slightly.
1676876333597.jpeg
1676876384498.jpeg

As you can see next, this coil fits the air flow slots very well.
Just try not to look at the coil cuz it will make your eyes water o_O
1676876632382.jpeg
Cut and fluffed, you can see how much I removed.
1676877106242.jpeg

Trimmed again and ready to tuck.
1676877214066.jpeg

Not letting any fold, I start tucking from bottom middle of the tail and it pulls some surrounding w/it, then the rest. With that ceramic tweezer tip, I don't pull any down from the upper sides or top. Just tuck around the tails end. Once it's wicked that ceramic tip can go in easily without deforming.

Once that's done it looks like this.
1676877712460.jpeg

...then...if like me...late and tired...you pull the wick out because you forgot to fire the new coil, then wick it again.....

This is like a sweet spot for me. 30W, 4 sec easy pulls.
:cloud::cloud::banana::cloud::cloud::cloud:

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If they have long legs, I like being able to add a wrap if i want to.
Thank you... I had forgotten that (have done it before)
...then...if like me...late and tired...you pull the wick out because you forgot to fire the new coil, then wick it again.....
HaHa... that was perfect (I'm 62 and have "brain farts")
Great pics and everything you said sounds right to me (from my limited experience) I even have played with bending the coil legs before installing them (just makes sense... less need to tweak the coil and distort it)
Thank you for the info I knew all of this... just needed a "refresher". Yes... most reviews mentioned thinning the wicks (I'm good with wicks, lots of trial and error)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've used 2 id, 2.5, & 3. No problems. Smaller = a wee bit more air.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am considering a 2.5mm coil.Like I said... just need a few coils to get me up and running (then I'm going for it... getting spools and winding my own)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Remember if you have a coil that isn't quite wide enough, there's nothing wrong with making a "spaced" coil out of it. Just gently pull on both legs at the same time to add a bit of space between wraps, and lengthen the coil a bit.

If too wide and the resistance isn't already very low, you can remove a wrap. Heck, you can re-wind the whole coil if you want, to a tag larger or smaller ID.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You could ask @zephyr or @Just Frank about their coils they make.
I figure the shipping might be less, and probably faster.
Yes. That was my next step (it would be so cool to get some from someone here on VU)
One step at a time. I have been following the building threads (and have been very impressed with both of them) I'm good for now (but very soon will do that)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I ordered some coils from wireoptim (both same specs, one N80, one Kanthal):
2-core clapton, 3mm ID, 36ga around 2x 26 ga, 5 wraps.
Thank you all for reminding I can add wraps (or partial) if needed.
They have good prices on 10 packs. And a "coily tool"... under $40 with shipping.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I ordered some coils from wireoptim (both same specs, one N80, one Kanthal):
2-core clapton, 3mm ID, 36ga around 2x 26 ga, 5 wraps.
Thank you all for reminding I can add wraps (or partial) if needed.
They have good prices on 10 packs. And a "coily tool"... under $40 with shipping.

Can't speak to the kanthal, because I don't use it, but N80 26x2/36 should be a really good coil. In my mind, about as close as you'll come to "all purpose." They work well in lots of different atomizers. Five wraps should give you a coil that isn't too low or too high in resistance. Good choice!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can't speak to the kanthal, because I don't use it, but N80 26x2/36 should be a really good coil. In my mind, about as close as you'll come to "all purpose." They work well in lots of different atomizers. Five wraps should give you a coil that isn't too low or too high in resistance. Good choice!
I did my homework... that's why I waited to order. Good things come to those who wait :)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Coils are on the way. I'll try to post pics of the build.
@Vape Fan mentioned 3.5 mm for the coil legs (most reviews I watched said 4.5mm) Going to try 4mm.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cut and fluffed, you can see how much I removed.
1676877106242.jpeg

Trimmed again and ready to tuck.
1676877214066.jpeg

Not letting any fold, I start tucking from bottom middle of the tail and it pulls some surrounding w/it, then the rest. With that ceramic tweezer tip, I don't pull any down from the upper sides or top. Just tuck around the tails end. Once it's wicked that ceramic tip can go in easily without deforming.

Once that's done it looks like this.
1676877712460.jpeg

*bows*

Do not mean it with any hint of sarcasm whatever. That right there is pure wicking artistry. Never really go that extra for wicking. Even not vaping it, can "see" the benefits wicking that way offers. Now, I might look into it.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Perfect example of how in most cases there should be a gap between the wick and bottom of the juice port that normally is much harder to see.

(Sorry, it wasnt mentioned and such a good example for others reading this thread)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Mr_Nobody, 3 mm is usually the Inner Diameter of coils used by a lot of VU members. Some of us can get by with 2 mm. 3 mm, though, seems a fair bit easier to work up. If you put wick in, that is roughly 2.5 mm you can get a nice top of the coil air flow "tube". This is kind of what I do, and it does help keep the vapor flowing well.

A lot of us started learning to rebuild on these.

Kangertech-coil-unit-evod-t3s-mt3s-1.8ohm-2.2ohm-2.5ohm-single-coil-evapour.ie_.jpg

They were a PITA. Think they used like 36 ga wire and only were .5 mm ID and you tried getting 2 mm thick wick in them. You were cursed if you lost the insulator grommets. They barely produced vapor, at least in my experience of them. Everyone's mileage varies.

Shenzhen Universal Coil Assembly - Used in Smok Tech tanks, Innokin tanks, Kanger tanks, possibly many other tanks. These rolled out of Shenzhen China by the boat loads.

So yes, a 3 mm ID coil is very nice to use in RDAs, even RDTAs with an RBA deck/assembly.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Ohhh...i was looking for airpins again, sorry bout that, not coils, i could swear i got some oversized ones off ft for my classic, but maybe i didnt, i dunno

My vape stuff got all ransacked for lack of a better term and i lost a few key things, like that build deck as well

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ohhh...i was looking for airpins again, sorry bout that, not coils, i could swear i got some oversized ones off ft for my classic, but maybe i didnt, i dunno

My vape stuff got all ransacked for lack of a better term and i lost a few key things, like that build deck as well
It'll be fine. I spotted Bruce Wayne on the forum.

VU Sponsors