Become a Patron!

DiY E Juice help, Smells good but no taste

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi. I've recently decided to start making my own juice after almost 2 years of buying from shops.
I purchased everything I would need to go Down this road, so far I seem to be failing.
I have Been trying to mix some FA raspberry sweet as a standalone and anywhere from 7% - 20% flavour and its taste REALLY bland to almost nothing. Im mainly using VG, and only PG from the flavouring and nicotine base. I have about 7 flavour concentrates currently and I would like to mix up some Raspberry and Bavarian Cream eventually once I can get the Raspberry right. Any help or suggestions from people with experience would be much appreciated.

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find that most flavor art is super strong so no need for using that much. I vape high pg and mostly fa flavors. Try raspberry at 3-4% believe it or not you can over flavor the flavor out. There is a thread here eith percentages of all flavorings as stand alone. I will see if i can find it and link it here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, I didn't think I could enter diy and instantly have fantastic juice by any means. I just thought it would at least taste or resemble what the concentrate smelt like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
when i dont know where to start that link above is where i look. The yellow column is the average of the numbers

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I didn't think I could enter diy and instantly have fantastic juice by any means. I just thought it would at least taste or resemble what the concentrate smelt like

The concentrates smell great but over flavored and you get no taste. I also find if i dont shake the flavors before using it can end the same way. Here is the spreadsheet as a starting point.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agXdua8bEp8MV4z1mn3qX4AXCS4P0RxQXcy2lDa7ccc/pub?gid=0

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I barely tolerate FA Raspberry above 0.5% It's a very strong flavoring.
I wish I could agree lol currently the only raspberry I could taste in when I pumped the bottle to smell it and drop went in my mouth.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not familiar with TFA Raspberry Sweet, but like mattdarat said try going lower. If it is a strong concentrate then it can over power your taste buds where it seems like you are not tasting anything.

FYI we abbreviate The Flavor Apprentice as TFA and FlavorArt as FA. I know that is confusing as TFA is now putting Fa on their bottles.

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not familiar with TFA Raspberry Sweet, but like mattdarat said try going lower. If it is a strong concentrate then it can over power your taste buds where it seems like you are not tasting anything.

FYI we abbreviate The Flavor Apprentice as TFA and FlavorArt as FA. I know that is confusing as TFA is now putting Fa on their bottles.
Thanks I'll remember that's ,
I will try make another small 10ml batch tomorrow using the 6.5% from the chart posted and see how it goes.

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The concentrates smell great but over flavored and you get no taste. I also find if i dont shake the flavors before using it can end the same way. Here is the spreadsheet as a starting point.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agXdua8bEp8MV4z1mn3qX4AXCS4P0RxQXcy2lDa7ccc/pub?gid=0

Thanks very much I'll, I made some Capella Banana Split and that turned out the same, virtually no flavour. But TFA tutti frutti and Capella Concord Grape tasted perfect first try.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks I'll remember that's ,
I will try make another small 10ml batch tomorrow using the 6.5% from the chart posted and see how it goes.

I would try even lower like 3% standalone. You can always add more, but you can't take it out except by adding more VG and then trying to figure out what percentage you are at...

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That low yeah? I think it's just the noob in me I suppose thinking more equals better. But I will take your guys advice. Cheers

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I went to the linked spreadsheet and see where you got that 6.5% for the Raspberry from FlavorArt. Is your Raspberry FlavorArt or Flavor Apprentice? If it is FlavorArt it definitely is too strong. For FlavorArt flavors HeadInClouds, also known as HIC, has tasting notes on most FA flavors. You can get his notes here: http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'd also recommend trying a 50PG/50VG mix at least once, if you can tolerate the PG that is:D.

I'm in the "lower is better" camp too with any Raspberry, it's always less than 1%.
And INW Raspberry is the best I've tried so far.
But I've read that TFA Raspberry Sweet(ECX-Signature), can be used a bit higher, like 2%, lol.
If used too high it usually turns into perfume, chemical tasting, or muted.
Should be mixed with some Cream, Vanilla, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, or Cheesecake tho.
And Bavarian too, but I'd use it with something else mentioned above.
By itself, Raspberry is not very good IMO.
Can also be mixed with Blueberry or Strawberry plus some others I can't recall ATM.

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do have some Capella vanilla custard, perhaps that would go nice, can you think of a good % ratio for me to try this morning? Again I appreciate everyone's help

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went to the linked spreadsheet and see where you got that 6.5% for the Raspberry from FlavorArt. Is your Raspberry FlavorArt or Flavor Apprentice? If it is FlavorArt it definitely is too strong. For FlavorArt flavors HeadInClouds, also known as HIC, has tasting notes on most FA flavors. You can get his notes here: http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html
Mine is Flavour Apprentice.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I do have some Capella vanilla custard, perhaps that would go nice, can you think of a good % ratio for me to try this morning? Again I appreciate everyone's help

CAP Vanilla Custard can be used as an additive at 1-3%, or as the main flavor at 6-10%, or anywhere in between.
I tend to add other things to it tho:
Vanilla Swirl, TFA French Vanilla Deluxe, Vanilla Bean, Sweet Cream, Fresh Cream, etc.
Some Caramel & Butterscotch can be added too, along with many other flavors.
Like Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, etc.
But, the Custard needs some time to steep, anywhere from a week to a month, more flavoring=more time.

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks I'll give that a try, I do have some CAP Sweet Cream so I could add a dash of that. But so far it seems no matter flavour I make they all taste very bland with or without EM as well.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@AndriaD is another one here that's having to use way more flavoring than the rest of us.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks I'll give that a try, I do have some CAP Sweet Cream so I could add a dash of that. But so far it seems no matter flavour I make they all taste very bland with or without EM as well.

EM can mute flavors, if you want it sweeter there are a few other things to try like this HTML class. Value is meringue, brown sugar, marshmallow and a hand full of others... maybe you have something that will add a little sweet in your stash to replace EM with?

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@AndriaD is another one here that's having to use way more flavoring than the rest of us.

Yep, and the title of this thread is why -- most pre-made I've tasted has been little more than a nice scent, but little flavor. although that problem improved a little after I'd been off cigarettes 5-6 months, I still seem to have very muted tastebuds, compared to others who've been smoke-free for a similar length of time. Maybe the 39 yrs of smoking is why, I dunno. My sense of smell was extremely, obnoxiously keen even before I quit, and now is off the charts, but the buds are lagging. Lots of sweetener helps, if you can stand it.

Andria

MadCowsGoMooo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sitrep.
My delivery of PG arrived today, and I must admit going from 80-90% VG down to a 60PG/40VG mix I've had made some major improvements in the flavour to my diy juices. The TFA Raspberry Sweet is still being stubborn, no matter what sweet nothings I wispier I Just cannot get anything from it, so I'll move on. CAP Banana also likes to leave a horrid clove taste no matter what % I use. But I've had some good results with CAP Banana Split and Bavarian Cream :) possibly add a dash of Vanilla Custard to the next mix once I'm done with 30ml I made today. Anyhow thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I'd also recommend trying a 50PG/50VG mix at least once, if you can tolerate the PG that is:D.

And INW Raspberry is the best I've tried so far.
I really like this one to

VU Sponsors