Become a Patron!

Do you do "primer puffs"?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A "primer puff" is drawing air without firing the coil. It can help keep the wick saturated (and cool the coil)
It's a great idea when breaking in a new coil (or new build/re-wick) Don't know if it's really needed after that but I'm kinda OCD about it and tend to do this all the time. Do you ever do this... and how often?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use all rebuildables, and always saturate the cotton before I close up the atomizer. Primer puffs not needed unless the atty doesn't draw well at first (which almost always means I've used too much cotton, and it gets worse, not better).

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've only done it with new coils for subohm tanks. I close the airflow and suck without firing. I typically only do it a couple of times, but that's it.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never do this. I saturate wicks when I install them and if my coils get too hot during vaping it's always because they have gone dry or have become too gunked up.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I used to do it back when I started Vaping 7 or 8 years ago. Difference is, back then I was using a 1.5-2 ohm coil with a silica wick, a first gen kayfun and a 12w max mod.
With the newer gear I’ve never had the need.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't do this with my RTAs except one... E-leaf Lemo2. It has small juice ports (if that's what you call them?) I don't over stuff the wick in the coil (and even use rayon for that one) And yes, I soak the wick when I build/re-wick it) All other RTAs I don't need to do this. I mostly do PP's for "drop-in" coils. I guess I'm paranoid because I'm low budget, don't have many extra coils (it's just become a habit... don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes) It also makes me take my time vaping (which I like... no "chain vaping here)
One a sidenote: with small pods (autodraw firing) I always suck on a new (filled) pod before I put it in the pod the first time. After that first time, I never need to do this.
I will admit that one time with the Lemo2 (and it was doing fine) I sucked on it with the airflow closed and it seemed to have pulled the wick tails away from the inside of the chmaber and when I used it it leaked all over (won't do that again) Hey... that reminds me. I haven't used it in a while (off to refill and enjoy some lemon meringue cookie :) )

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't do this with my RTAs except one... E-leaf Lemo2. It has small juice ports (if that's what you call them?) I don't over stuff the wick in the coil (and even use rayon for that one) And yes, I soak the wick when I build/re-wick it) All other RTAs I don't need to do this. I mostly do PP's for "drop-in" coils. I guess I'm paranoid because I'm low budget, don't have many extra coils (it's just become a habit... don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes) It also makes me take my time vaping (which I like... no "chain vaping here)
One a sidenote: with small pods (autodraw firing) I always suck on a new (filled) pod before I put it in the pod the first time. After that first time, I never need to do this.
I will admit that one time with the Lemo2 (and it was doing fine) I sucked on it with the airflow closed and it seemed to have pulled the wick tails away from the inside of the chmaber and when I used it it leaked all over (won't do that again) Hey... that reminds me. I haven't used it in a while (off to refill and enjoy some lemon meringue cookie :) )

Funny you should mention the Lemo 2. I just put one back into rotation a couple of weeks ago, after I cleaned it and put new wicking in it. The first couple of tanks of juice went fine, but then I started getting dry-ish hits. That RTA normally goes through juice like a house on fire.

I've thinned the tails once already and am still having a problem with it. Did have to do "primer puffs" on it to get it to keep the cotton wet. Finally I got frustrated with it and put it aside. Not sure what to do with it now, but I really hate that it's become troublesome, because when it's vaping well, it's a really great tank.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Funny you should mention the Lemo 2. I just put one back into rotation a couple of weeks ago, after I cleaned it and put new wicking in it. The first couple of tanks of juice went fine, but then I started getting dry-ish hits. That RTA normally goes through juice like a house on fire.
What coil are you using? I make my own round wire coil (26 ga, 3mm ID, about 7 wraps) It can be a tricky RTA. I use mine with the airflow fully open. Thin the tails (but not a lot) trim then just long enough to touch the bottom of deck. Put chamber on (without screw on cap) before dripping juice. If I over stuff the coil, it get's "dry hits"... like I said, with this one I do PP all the time. Also (has nothing to do with juice flow) make sure and clean the area between deck and actual base (stupid design) It's not a great RTA but I got 3 of them on clearance sale and it's easy to build (with round wire anyway) I use rayon for this one (cotton for others) Don't try to fill the tank all the way (and tilt it at an angle) Even with all these quirks, I still like it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
What coil are you using? I make my own round wire coil (26 ga, 3mm ID, about 7 wraps) It can be a tricky RTA. I use mine with the airflow fully open. Thin the tails (but not a lot) trim then just long enough to touch the bottom of deck. Put chamber on (without screw on cap) before dripping juice. If I over stuff the coil, it get's "dry hits"... like I said, with this one I do PP all the time. Also (has nothing to do with juice flow) make sure and clean the area between deck and actual base (stupid design) It's not a great RTA but I got 3 of them on clearance sale and it's easy to build (with round wire anyway) I use rayon for this one (cotton for others) Don't try to fill the tank all the way (and tilt it at an angle) Even with all these quirks, I still like it.

Coil looks like 2.5mm 26 or 28 awg stainless, about six or seven wraps, ohms at 0.49, 30W. I took it apart just now and think I may have reversed the seals on the top and bottom of the tank. They are a little different from each other. I did cut one side of the wick about 1/8", and now I'm vaping it to see if those two things will help any. I'm not seeing any bubbles when I draw on it, so the jury is still out.

ETA: I just plugged my coil specs into steam-engine.org, and it recommended 22W, so I've lowered the wattage to 25. Don't know that I can stand it all the way down to 22, but I might be ok with 25. One more thing to try, because I really do like this tank when it's working right.

ETA2: I think I have it now, and think the problem was vacuum the whole time. It was going to give me dry hits again. I primer puffed it, the juice level dropped down below where the chamber meets its top, and I opened and then closed the fill port right quick. Since then I haven't had to force it to wick. I am seeing the occasional bubble now, with wattage at 27.5, airflow at just over halfway open. I had still filled it too full of juice.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't done it since putting new coils/wicks on like an ego pen or something. Rta's and rda's, nope. I do tend to give a purge puff now and then. I tend to prefer more drawn out puffs vs rapid hard hits so if I turn my power up enough to be that ready and rowdy out of the gate it's hot as balls by the time I'm done puffing. But the primer puffs, no.

VU Sponsors