Become a Patron!

Does everybody but me love the Profile RDA?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that Benedict Cumberbatch on a Super Baggie?
Not Superman but I don't know all the Marvel characters... It's a special baggie that I know, it has superpowers.
I don;t know who it';s supposed to be either actually LOL :D I thought Superman. I guess not now that I look closer.

He sent me some Rayon a good while back to try. He also gave me the idea to try Rayon/cotton hybrid wicking which I now use all the time in various configurations.

Along the way that bag sort of transitioned into my Rayon/puffs pads bag while I kept the bulk of it sealed and stored. I didn't even exactly consciously realize it until it had already happened :idea:

Isn't that an interesting story without which knowledge of you certainly wouldn't have been able to go on another day?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don;t know who it';s supposed to be either actually LOL :D I thought Superman. I guess not now that I look closer.

He sent me some Rayon a good while back to try. He also gave me the idea to try Rayon/cotton hybrid wicking which I now use all the time in various configurations.

Along the way that bag sort of transitioned into my Rayon/puffs pads bag while I kept the bulk of it sealed and stored. I didn't even exactly consciously realize it until it had already happened :idea:

Isn't that an interesting story without which knowledge of you certainly wouldn't have been able to go on another day?

Thanks to you, my life is complete! :blowkiss:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone tried the 1.5? I see they have some different mesh patterns now.
Screenshot_20200729-135508.png

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have one, I personally don't think it's any better performance wise than the original.
It uses wider mesh strips but you can use it with the standard width as well.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away
I was just thinking I should have tagged you, lol.
Didn't think there was enough changes to really make much difference but just now noticed the different pattern strips. The V2 will probably be along soon anyway...

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I read a couple reviews (sales).
One guy says the chill is about the same as the OG Wotofo strips. Turbo about the same as OG Nexmesh. He thought the extreme was maybe a notch up.
I fill that concave block section with a hunk of cotton under rayon so the flat block is probably no big.
I like the air with the top row closed, don't know about fewer larger holes...no clue.

I'm done rambling for now...?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone tried the 1.5? I see they have some different mesh patterns now.
View attachment 165799
No interest here. I read some reviews and they all pretty much said there wasn't any major improvement in performance.

I did get some of those Yacht Vape Mesh Lock RDAs from MFS when they were having their huge rebuildables blow out. They use larger pieces of mesh and a different air flow from the Profiles. They work pretty good.

I got a Kylin M a few days ago and can not put the thing down. My first try, I used too much cotton but could tell it was a good one. I've fixed the wicking and I've been just about chain vaping it all day. I installed the .15Ω VV M-coil and am using it at 55W. Flavor is bangin' but the vapor is .... It's not dry but it's a drier type of vape than with wire coils IMO. Some people think I'm nuts for saying that but that's how I see it. I need to drive k more water than usual because it dries my mouth out. The airflow and type of draw is perfect though. I really like it.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No interest here. I read some reviews and they all pretty much said there wasn't any major improvement in performance.

I did get some of those Yacht Vape Mesh Lock RDAs from MFS when they were having their huge rebuildables blow out. They use larger pieces of mesh and a different air flow from the Profiles. They work pretty good.

I got a Kylin M a few days ago and can not put the thing down. My first try, I used too much cotton but could tell it was a good one. I've fixed the wicking and I've been just about chain vaping it all day. I installed the .15Ω VV M-coil and am using it at 55W. Flavor is bangin' but the vapor is .... It's not dry but it's a drier type of vape than with wire coils IMO. Some people think I'm nuts for saying that but that's how I see it. I need to drive k more water than usual because it dries my mouth out. The airflow and type of draw is perfect though. I really like it.

I'm socked up on nexmesh ss316l . rather not start buying larger mesh.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Has anybody tried a Trinity glass cap on their Profile? I'm just curious. I've never had a glass cap for anything.
I have, it's pretty nice. I like the fact that you can see the juice, makes it nice when squonking.
The air flow is not adjustable but it's about like the standard Profile deck wide open, maybe just a bit tighter.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have, it's pretty nice. I like the fact that you can see the juice, makes it nice when squonking.
The air flow is not adjustable but it's about like the standard Profile deck wide open, maybe just a bit tighter.

I run mine with the top row closed, sounds pretty close to that (?) Any difference in the air flow going from the honeycomb to a slit or how it vapes?

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anybody tried a Trinity glass cap on their Profile? I'm just curious. I've never had a glass cap for anything.

sm1av1p3zcw4aa76g.jpg

The glass cap is a great addition, in my opinion, to the Profile. I like the ability to see the juice and the airflow is just right for my vaping style. The airflow however, is not adjustable, but like gadget! mentioned, its about like the standard cap with the air wide open. The airflow is positioned a little lower compared to the standard caps, but still hits the coil in a good sweet spot.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw somebody do something like this a while back. Not as nice as that though. I bet it works. If not this exact build, something simpler.
I don't even know what that is much less how to make it.....looks cool though.
I don't have any interest in the rdta but saw it comes with a Clapton mesh so I googled it and saw that...don't know how well this works either
Seems strange...
d7ZrH5-ZZLv86NM3X3uZNFxGFLcLGBZVOpFwHSxJZ4I.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't even know what that is much less how to make it.....looks cool though.
I don't have any interest in the rdta but saw it comes with a Clapton mesh so I googled it and saw that...don't know how well this works either
Seems strange...
View attachment 166933
I saw that too. I actually am interested in the rdta :wait: Looks pretty versatile.

Trying some clapton wire in strips like that has been one of those things I've been meaning to try forever. Never got to it.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know it has postless mounting holes for regular wire coils too right?

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You know it has postless mounting holes for regular wire coils too right?
Saw that. I saw someone posted a written review here but have not looked at any others. He hade trouble getting the steel rods (mesh), whatever they are, to properly wick from the tank.
I think Vapefly did a MTL RDTA with the same thing awhile back and had the same problems.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw that. I saw someone posted a written review here but have not looked at any others. He hade trouble getting the steel rods (mesh), whatever they are, to properly wick from the tank.
I think Vapefly did a MTL RDTA with the same thing awhile back and had the same problems.
Since you brought that up, I have never been able to muster up a lot of confidence in the braided steel rod wicking thing. If I wind up with one, I'm gonna try something else.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since you brought that up, I have never been able to muster up a lot of confidence in the braided steel rod wicking thing. If I wind up with one, I'm gonna try something else.
Me too, thinking I might use a 10ml squonk bottle. ?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BINGO!!!!

On a whim today I pulled out the SS Profile. I had a random piece of Puffs Pad in my bag of wicking stuff. Turns out it was 1.5 inches wide.

I worked one side of the skin off and rolled it up tight with the other skin on the outside. It was pretty snug but not super tight going into the strip. Went through with a bit of medium effort. Cut it to a few mm outside the deck, fluffed it upward a bit, pulled off the fuzz and just worked it into the wells from bottom to top. No angle cut, nuthin fancy. Took two minutes and I had very low expectations.

I haven't thought through why yet, but it vapes awesome. I kid you not. No dry hits at all at 65 watts with a .17 ohm strip on the Pulse Dual. Not sure of the material offhand. It's been sitting a long time. I'm pretty sure I could get a little more power out of it too.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BINGO!!!!

On a whim today I pulled out the SS Profile. I had a random piece of Puffs Pad in my bag of wicking stuff. Turns out it was 1.5 inches wide.

I worked one side of the skin off and rolled it up tight with the other skin on the outside. It was pretty snug but not super tight going into the strip. Went through with a bit of medium effort. Cut it to a few mm outside the deck, fluffed it upward a bit, pulled off the fuzz and just worked it into the wells from bottom to top. No angle cut, nuthin fancy. Took two minutes and I had very low expectations.

I haven't thought through why yet, but it vapes awesome. I kid you not. No dry hits at all at 65 watts with a .17 ohm strip on the Pulse Dual. Not sure of the material offhand. It's been sitting a long time. I'm pretty sure I could get a little more power out of it too.
:stars2:

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Nice glad you got it figured out. Sometimes you just get too frustrated repeatedly trying to get it right and you have to set it aside and come back with a cool head. Now you can join the we love the profile crowd. ?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice glad you got it figured out. Sometimes you just get too frustrated repeatedly trying to get it right and you have to set it aside and come back with a cool head. Now you can join the we love the profile crowd. ?
There is now no doubt in my mind that over-wicking is the cause of dry hits with mesh strips. All we've heard since the og profile came out is how the wicking needs to be SUPER tight. I disagree. Tigher than wire coils maybe, but all I did was wick the freakin things looser, almost by accident, and it vapes great.

Every video and every article I've seen, pounds on how tight you have to have your wicking inside these strips. This is wrong, and nobody's talkin me out of it :D

Dry hits with mesh strips means you have the cotton (or rayon or both) in there too tightly. Simple as that.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I wick them loose also. I peel the skin of both sides of a pad, roll the cotton into a cylindrical shape and pull her through.
Or use Rayon that works great also.

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just got the rebirth single coil rda and I love this thing. Profile style air holes on the cap with directional airflow inside pushing air under the coil on the raised platform splitting the cotton on both ends to a x shape for great juice draw and flavor equal to or maybe even superior to the profile. Hands down my new favorite rda.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just got a couple of Profiles, over the past couple of weeks, and they're nice....but I still like the Yachtvape Meshlock better.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There is now no doubt in my mind that over-wicking is the cause of dry hits with mesh strips.

I know this is an old post but I didn't see it. I agree with you. I wick mesh pretty loose compared to other people. It just vapes way better than having it tight. The juice gets choked off by the thick log of cotton they expect you to use. Every cotton lace companies have made for mesh rebuildables is ridiculously way too much IMO .

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I had to try wicking looser with the clapton mesh...I had more dry hits on this one build than I have had since my first profile..The fix, I stuffed a bit of cotton on top of the block so it was slightly depressed....

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many, many videos later & I'd pretty much given up on "the Profile." I started reading this & it took some time but next thing I was done all 15 pages of this thread. Pulled one out & tried again. That was a number of weeks ago. I now have 2 running full time on a mech thanks to all of you here @ VU!! P.S before reading this I couldn't push 44 watts through this addy without the dreaded mesh dry hit!!20210305_100031.jpg

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Many, many videos later & I'd pretty much given up on "the Profile." I started reading this & it took some time but next thing I was done all 15 pages of this thread. Pulled one out & tried again. That was a number of weeks ago. I now have 2 running full time on a mech thanks to all of you here @ VU!! P.S before reading this I couldn't push 44 watts through this addy without the dreaded mesh dry hit!!View attachment 178996
Glad you found the way here....

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Many, many videos later & I'd pretty much given up on "the Profile." I started reading this & it took some time but next thing I was done all 15 pages of this thread. Pulled one out & tried again. That was a number of weeks ago. I now have 2 running full time on a mech thanks to all of you here @ VU!! P.S before reading this I couldn't push 44 watts through this addy without the dreaded mesh dry hit!!View attachment 178996

I'm starting to think that between the Profile and the Yachtvape Meshlock, I shouldn't run anything else on single 18650 mechs. They are stellar vapes with mesh RDAs.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, this is what it is and nobody's talkin me out of it :)

Maybe this has been long settled by now ,but I haven't been around as much the last year or so, so forgive me if I missed it.

Almost the entire problem that so many people, including myself, were having with burning cotton and mesh atomizers is due to them being wicked too tight. It's literally that simple.

Wotofo did us a grave disservice when the Profile was released by the insistence that exceedingly tight wicking was required in that RDA., and by implied extension, mesh atomizers generally.

Especially with that tutorial video that planted in everybody's mind the horribly misconceived notion that whatever problem's you may be having, it's because of not enough cotton.

With that axiom in place, multitudes, including again myself, set about attempting to solve the horrible burning wick problem by trying EVERYthing except simply using much less cotton and hence leaving the wicking looser under the mesh element, ...when in fact, it was exactly that which was the actual solution.

After all, if the designer and the manufacturer have proclaimed with dogmatic emphasis, that the wicking MUST be SUPER tight, us plebians could be forgiven for believing them :)

As I say, maybe this is not an issue for anybody anymore, but at one point, for months following the release of the OG Profile, on any given day on Reddit (you remember) there were a dozen posts by people thoroughly frustrated with having their throats torn out by the now infamous nuclear mesh burn.

BECAUSE... they were following the instructions

I have been playing with mesh atmomizers again lately, especially the Zeus X, and the simple truth is, if you have some decent experience with rebuildables, just wick a mesh atomizer like your instincts and intuitions tell you it oughta be wicked and forget all the "expert" advice on how tight it needs to be.

Not only are they not any more mystifying or complicated to get right than wire, but they vape awesome when you do.

Does anybody care about this anymore? I don't know, but I had to get that off my chest. I spent months going round and round with that first Profile before I knew better. This thread is exhibit A lol.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah.

One more significant fact. It may seem like a good idea to keep the airflow open in order to avoid burning your wicking.

No. Close it off enough to create some suction inside the chamber and it will pull juice into the wicking as you hit it. This not only contributes to avoiding the burn, it also produces much better flavor.

Trust me :cool:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anybody care about this anymore?
Bob cares....
You are correct on both points. Close that air down a bit and don't pack so tight.
@Vape Fan has championed the less is better.
I'm still a firm believer in superior wicking, less gunky, better flavor rayon, for me anyway.
I still use a plug of cotton on the clamp and rayon straight across the top and down to the deck.
After Vape Fan posted in another thread I started adjusting a bit. Pulled the doubled up stock springs and made one from a pen like many others have done. Was a little too stiff, made some adjustments.
Now I'm using about half the rayon as before. Not nearly as tight. Less build failure due to sack. Wicks faster, squonks better and has even better flavor.

I used some of Vape Fans suggestions and videos to try some Cotton with good results except it gunks too fast for me as it's plowing through all that juice like a freight train, lol.

You posting puts a smile on, showing a little love for my Huckleberry even better.
🙂

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bob cares....
You are correct on both points. Close that air down a bit and don't pack so tight.
@Vape Fan has championed the less is better.
I'm still a firm believer in superior wicking, less gunky, better flavor rayon, for me anyway.
I still use a plug of cotton on the clamp and rayon straight across the top and down to the deck.
After Vape Fan posted in another thread I started adjusting a bit. Pulled the doubled up stock springs and made one from a pen like many others have done. Was a little too stiff, made some adjustments.
Now I'm using about half the rayon as before. Not nearly as tight. Less build failure due to sack. Wicks faster, squonks better and has even better flavor.

I used some of Vape Fans suggestions and videos to try some Cotton with good results except it gunks too fast for me as it's plowing through all that juice like a freight train, lol.

You posting puts a smile on, showing a little love for my Huckleberry even better.
🙂
Then I do hereby defer to @Vape Fan and his impressive wisdom :) I couldn't agree more.

Ya know, I still use this bag? I think you sent me some rayon in there a few years ago haha. I love Rayon and use it all the time. I also love rayon/cotton hybrid wicks which have proven to be excellent in many situations.

20221029_151520_cr.jpg

Last edited:

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, this is what it is and nobody's talkin me out of it :)

Maybe this has been long settled by now ,but I haven't been around as much the last year or so, so forgive me if I missed it.

Almost the entire problem that so many people, including myself, were having with burning cotton and mesh atomizers is due to them being wicked too tight. It's literally that simple.

Wotofo did us a grave disservice when the Profile was released by the insistence that exceedingly tight wicking was required in that RDA., and by implied extension, mesh atomizers generally.

Especially with that tutorial video that planted in everybody's mind the horribly misconceived notion that whatever problem's you may be having, it's because of not enough cotton.

With that axiom in place, multitudes, including again myself, set about attempting to solve the horrible burning wick problem by trying EVERYthing except simply using much less cotton and hence leaving the wicking looser under the mesh element, ...when in fact, it was exactly that which was the actual solution.

After all, if the designer and the manufacturer have proclaimed with dogmatic emphasis, that the wicking MUST be SUPER tight, us plebians could be forgiven for believing them :)

As I say, maybe this is not an issue for anybody anymore, but at one point, for months following the release of the OG Profile, on any given day on Reddit (you remember) there were a dozen posts by people thoroughly frustrated with having their throats torn out by the now infamous nuclear mesh burn.

BECAUSE... they were following the instructions

I have been playing with mesh atmomizers again lately, especially the Zeus X, and the simple truth is, if you have some decent experience with rebuildables, just wick a mesh atomizer like your instincts and intuitions tell you it oughta be wicked and forget all the "expert" advice on how tight it needs to be.

Not only are they not any more mystifying or complicated to get right than wire, but they vape awesome when you do.

Does anybody care about this anymore? I don't know, but I had to get that off my chest. I spent months going round and round with that first Profile before I knew better. This thread is exhibit A lol.

it is not so much the packing it tight, it is it only needs enough to depress the spring and make full contact with the mesh... the only dry hits I get is when i don't check the fluid level...

VU Sponsors