Become a Patron!

Dovpo Abyss + Ether Bridge + Accessories Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

Welcome to the Swiss Army Knife of vaping, there really is a lot to cover on the Abyss, no one wants to read a 50 paragraph essay on a vape mod, but this really deserves more than a couple of paragraphs.

Images are here, however I will also put links to the relevant images in each section.

What is it?

The Abyss is an AIO system in the style of a side-by-side mod, that takes 18650/2*700 batteries, supports various stock coil bridges/rebuildable bridges, and has a lot of optional accessories such as a side-by-side conversion kit, different buttons, battery tubes, etc.

DSC_0076.jpg
What’s it like?

Standard Abyss Kit images

The standard Abyss kit comes with an adapter for Nautilus BVC coils, an adapter that takes 510 drip-tips, a battery tube for 18650 batteries and a battery cover + top plate if you want to use 21700s.

The tank is held in place by a rotating top-plate and then secured with the drip-tip adapter (the drip-tip adapter is important, if it’s not screwed in securely, your ohms will not read correctly)

The top-plate confused me the first few times that I used it, but once you’ve taken it on and off a few times it becomes much easier, especially if you put the mod on a flat surface while putting it on.

The airflow adjustment is stiff – but I didn’t find it to be a major problem, it’s not an airflow ring that needs fingertip adjustment, it has a small nub for leverage and works well with a fingernail.

DSC_0105.jpg

Build quality

The Abyss feels solid and heavy, for someone coming from a pod system it might feel too heavy for daily pocket use. The upside of the solidity and weight, is that it feels very good quality.

Chipset

Images here

The chipset is has most of the standard features – five clicks on/off, three clicks to lock/unlock the device, fire and down to change between VW, bypass and TC modes, up and down to lock the up/down buttons, and while they are locked up three times to go into stealth mode.

It’s not the most advanced chipset out there, but it has more than enough to keep me happy.

Tank

Images here

As much as I have searched, I can’t find a definite answer to the capacity of the tank – I read 10ml somewhere, but I guess it’s all down to which bridge you have in the tank.

Refilling the tank with its metal/rubber cover is nice and mess-free, this is a much better refilling solution that on most pod systems or RTAs.

Optional extras

Coil Adapter Bridges

Images here

As standard the Abyss comes with a Nautilus adapter bridge and as a separate purchase you can get a pack of four more coil bridges, these bridges will allow you to use Voopoo PnP coils, Smok Nord coils, Uwell Caliburn G coils and Vaporesso EUC coils.

Due to me not having any Nautilus or EUC coils, I only tested it with PnP, Nord and Caliburn G coils.

It should perform exactly the same as any other device using those coils, and generally it does – however there are a few minor differences affecting the performance, firstly it has wider range of airflow settings than most pod and pod mod systems, it has a boost chip so there’s not so much power drop off when the battery gets low, and you have a lot more choice when it comes to drip-tip.

DSC_0136.jpg

Ether RBA

Images here

This is the part that interested me a lot, if anyone is interested I will be happy to write a full build guide for it, but in the spirit of keeping things short, yes it works well and does best with 2.5mm IDD coils and longer/thicker wicks than you’d expect, fluff, rather than thin the cotton and you’ll be good.

It comes with a choice of four airflow pins, 3mm, 2mm, 1mm and 0.8mm, while it does perform well with MTL, I preferred it with the largest airflow pin and a fused clapton, mainly because I have a lot of MTL RTAs already, so having something restricted DTL is nice.

The Ether comes with a 510 adapter, so you can build it on a regulated mod before putting it into the tank.

One nice little bonus with the Ether RBA are the drip-tips, although you can use regular 510 drip-tips with the standard adapter, the Ether comes with a tighter bore adapter and two slip-on drip-tips, this of course works well when you’re using the Ether with an MTL build, and also is my personal choice when using lower powered stock coils such as the Caliburn G coils.

There is one minor issues that I do have with the Ether, it seems to be fraction taller than the regular coil bridges and this results in a slight gap with the top-plate. It’s the sort of gap that you won’t notice 99% of the time, so not enough to put me off using the Ether.

DSC_0182.jpg

Side-by-side adapter

Images here

This does exactly what you expect, it’s simple to put on, has two covers (one for 18650 and one for 21700) and a threaded adapter that your RTA screws into and then you screw into the mod, do it in that order, the reverse order is a pain in the ass.

Unlike the horrible 510 adapters that you get for PnP mods, the ohms read correctly and it works just fine.

I used a 24mm RTA, which fitted with no issues – you might get away with 25mm – but of course beware of bubble-glass, flared tanks, etc.

DSC_0221.jpg

Custom buttons

Images here

These require a different size torx driver than I own, so I wasn’t able to fit them yet – they are available in round and square designs.

Battery tube

Images here

There are two acrylic battery tubes available, smoked and frosted. I prefer using these tubes when using an 18650, as having a little window to your battery looks kinda techy and cool.

Drip-tips

Images here

This is a pack of three drip-tips and an adapter – the same as the adapter/drip-tips that comes with the Ether RBA, these do not take a 510 drip-tip, but they do allow the drip-tip to sit more flush with the mod than when using the standard adapter and a 510 drip-tip.

Tank set

Stock image
- I forgot to take a photo.

This is replacement glass only – it does not include the top or bottom section of the tank. They come in a pack of three – clear, ultem and smoked.

Conclusion

The Abyss is a strange thing to review. Normally the only thing I’d be concerned with it “does it vape well?” Yes, of course it does – but that’s mainly down to which coil/bridge/RBA you are using.

I’d say the Abyss is for two kinds of people – firstly, those who enjoy the ease of pod systems, but want a higher quality device, secondly for the hobbyists who want to customize, tweak and experiment with aesthetics and performance.

Either way, kudos to Dovpo and Suicide Mods for creating such a well designed and interesting device.

Disclaimer

The Abyss was supplied by Dovpo for the purposes of this review.

VU Sponsors