Become a Patron!

Dry Hits Falcon v1

So the first coil I had with the Falcon tank was great and lasted a couple weeks. Since then I have been getting a lot of dry hits but not just if I’m using it back to back, often when I’m using it for the first time after an hour or two even. I’ve been pulling without firing to try and keep the cotton wet but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I have also had this issue with coils from multiple packs, one from my local vape shop and one from Direct Vapor. I’ve had the issue with multiple flavors as well, currently I’m using Humble Smashmouth though. The recommended wattage is 60-70 but I prefer around 50, which worked on the first coil no problem. I’ve raised it up to 60 and continued to get frequent dry hits. I don’t always do a hard pull but especially now I don’t much since there’s a good chance it’ll be a dry hit.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I dont have experience with that tank. But i am sure many members do and will give you some help.
Welcome to the underground

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the first coil I had with the Falcon tank was great and lasted a couple weeks. Since then I have been getting a lot of dry hits but not just if I’m using it back to back, often when I’m using it for the first time after an hour or two even. I’ve been pulling without firing to try and keep the cotton wet but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I have also had this issue with coils from multiple packs, one from my local vape shop and one from Direct Vapor. I’ve had the issue with multiple flavors as well, currently I’m using Humble Smashmouth though. The recommended wattage is 60-70 but I prefer around 50, which worked on the first coil no problem. I’ve raised it up to 60 and continued to get frequent dry hits. I don’t always do a hard pull but especially now I don’t much since there’s a good chance it’ll be a dry hit.
Dry hits come from improper wicking of the coil. If it's dry hitting, turning the wattage up will only make it worse. You can try taking a safety pin and poking the cotton ports on the coil in hopes it absorbs faster.
Not sure about that tank itself but maybe a vaporlock. When you refill put the lid back on one turn and flip it over.
What's happening is you're vaping the juice faster than the coil can soak up more juice. Maybe try a thinner ratio of vg. I think humble runs 80%vg so that's pretty thick. I could be wrong though.
Could also just be a bum coil. It happens more often than you'd hope for with the price. Which is why many people eventually move to rebuildable tanks and rdas. A lot cheaper cost. And more consistent.

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Dry hits come from improper wicking of the coil. If it's dry hitting, turning the wattage up will only make it worse. You can try taking a safety pin and poking the cotton ports on the coil in hopes it absorbs faster.
Not sure about that tank itself but maybe a vaporlock. When you refill put the lid back on one turn and flip it over.
What's happening is you're vaping the juice faster than the coil can soak up more juice. Maybe try a thinner ratio of vg. I think humble runs 80%vg so that's pretty thick. I could be wrong though.
Could also just be a bum coil. It happens more often than you'd hope for with the price. Which is why many people eventually move to rebuildable tanks and rdas. A lot cheaper cost. And more consistent.

I’ve had bad coils before but never in all of the coils in consecutive packs from different vendors. As far as hitting it too much, the first coil I would chain vape while gaming but like I said with the bad coils I’m letting it sit and even giving it priming puffs and still having the issue. I’ve never paid attention to ratios but I do have a 70vg I’ll try out and see what happens with. I used to have a rebuildable set up but I got lazy and eventually stopped getting consistent results so I switched a few years ago.If I can’t figure this out though it might be worth getting a rebuildable for at home and a small salt nic device to carry with me. Any recommendations for rebuildables if I go that route?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The entire zues line is really good. Really tons out there for rta and rda. Mesh has great with not a lot of power needed also. Profile unity rta is one of my favs

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The entire zues line is really good. Really tons out there for rta and rda. Mesh has great with not a lot of power needed also. Profile unity rta is one of my favs

I agree with all he said. Another line that is easy to build with gr8 results is the dead rabbit rta and rda.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Also you cant have just 1 rebuildable. Have 1 running and another ready to rock so you dont have down time.

The rebuildables with a tank seem nice, last time I was doing that having a tank wasn’t an option. How much of a hassle can the tanks cause? I would like that convenience but if it makes it more difficult I don’t mind just dripping.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Once you have building it down its super easy. I do squanks alot. The joy of an rda without dripping.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I'm not a dripper. I try it periodically but go back to rtas or squonking. Or Billet box. But that a hole all in itself you don't want to venture into. It's lovely but bloody expensive. And I'm not a Brit, that's how bloody it is. Lol

My favorite favor only worked for dripping...it was Churrios by Milkman but it was too thick for a tank. I’d drop again if I could get that though, lol.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My favorite favor only worked for dripping...it was Churrios by Milkman but it was too thick for a tank. I’d drop again if I could get that though, lol.
You can get most rtas to take 80vg no problem. Because you can thin the wicking material enough to work correctly. With drop in coils the most you can do is poke it with a needle and disturb it. I'm not totally against drop in coils though. I use some for a pod or two I have and my jackaroo kit. Also the mesh for the unity. (What I'm using today)

Also another great rta is a wotofo Serpent single coil. Top airflow so no leaking.
Then there's the Aromamizer line. The Supreme is a classic with most vapers. Then the plus runs the size up to 31mm for larger mods. Just came out with a v2 which I hear is great as well and can get a mesh deck for that.
I think I need one of those as well
11451b0f01865ad21dea5c4de804c7db.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm. You can get more juice in a squonk bottle than a lot of rtas. But I'd choose squonking over rtas. That's a tough one though. Rta is easy and quick to fill. But a squonk bottle isn't too bad either and the make quick fill bottles now. Depends on what juice I guess I want to vape that day. Some are better in rda than an rta imo. Vice versa as well. Some taste better in an rta

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Filling squank bottles doent take long. I just refilled one. Mayb 1min.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

This is some excellent trouble shooting. :)

I’ve had bad coils before but never in all of the coils in consecutive packs from different vendors.

You may start to find like many here, and on another forum suspect. We suspect many of the 'different' vendors either get from the same 'source,' or even the various sources are all one source.

Giving an example Smok Tech used to and still does create what is called the Universal Pro Tank coil assembly. Now, Pro Tanks are Kanger products. Smok Tech's ARO evod tank's coils fit them just fine, and vise versa.

So finding a rampant 'bad batch' present from 'different' vendors isn't as unlikely as one may expect. It happens more likely than not in fact.

Any recommendations for rebuildables if I go that route?

I like using Oumier's Wasp Nano RDAs, Advken's Gorge RDA, Trinity Glassworks U.S.1 clone RDA.

Depends on what juice I guess I want to vape that day. Some are better in rda than an rta imo.

"Shane! Say it isn't so!" *mock gasping* Of all people I thought are devout RDA church goers, you were the Daisy. *sighs* Now, I see you're some low life RDTA tank church goer too. Why I might just have to, ... *chuckles*

(In case not apparent, I'm kidding. I'm happy anyone vapes over smoking tobacco. We all use what we find suits ourselves. I'm not anyone for 'holy wars'.)

So what would you recommend between squonk and rta then?

Consider I squonk mainly so am biased. I would suggest sqonking and using RDAs. Doing up coils is no real hassle, or you can buy some decently made pre-made ones for affordable cost/s. Shoot, someone here on the forum might keep you stocked for maybe postage.

I also like to drip now and then as well. Using RDAs lets you do both if you want. Yes, there's a slight hassle swapping out capillary 510 pins with standard ones in RDAs. That's negligible for the enjoyment you can get from both forms.

As @Wb80 mentions, filling squonk bottles doesn't take forever either. You also get used to learning displacement for each squonk "system" involved. You leave that "void" so the tubing or rod doesn't displace juice, also gives you air for vacuum purposes.

( I sometimes forget words, or need to revise simply to clean something up. Apologies if this seems offensive, not intended as such.)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors