Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OpenBoxOutlet has the following ad currently posted on eBay:

The price is listed as $59.95 for a "New" AUTHENTIC Squape Reloaded

Knowing the price of an authentic Squape R, I contacted StattQualm and asked if they could give me any info on how to verify if it was authentic or not.

The Chris Lusser, StattQualm CEO, looked at the limited number of pictures in the ad and told me that it did appear to be authentic based on what he could see in the pictures which included a portion of the box as well as the engraved logo on the tank, but there were no pictures of the decks.

Being conservative I called the numbers listed on another ad that they have for a Tugboat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161470149040 and spoke to a guy who said that he was responsible for the ads. After several minutes talking to him, including asking about serial numbers because Chris told me that there should be matching serial numbers inside the box and on the bottom of the base, the guy started saying that he couldn't guarantee it was the same Squape because the manufacturers he deals with in China sometimes make similar products sold under the same name, so he couldn't say whose "authentic" it was.

So... end of story, he confirmed that the Squape Reloaded in the ad is an "authentic" Chinese knockoff of a Squape R.

Lesson here is to make sure that you know how to identify an authentic and ask the right questions when an eBay seller is trying to pass something off as "authentic".

And yes, StattQualm has the ad info and phone numbers.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors