Become a Patron!

Education... Wait! Don't scroll past just yet. Want to learn, or teach?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello all... I'm casting as wide a net as possible on this idea. Here is the original thread on ECF... and here's a copy for those who'd like to quote and comment, or just refuse to visit ECF. ;) Thanks for reading.

I see a dangerous situation developing... one that will (and probably already has) cast a negative light on the vaping community at large.
People with mechs and RBAs who know nothing about them - potentially dangerous to themselves and those around them - who need education and knowledge... if they're willing. (this last bit may be a issue unto itself)

There are those that can learn from reading, those that visual learners... and those that learn from direct classroom format training, where a combination of the above, plus "hands-on", is the path to enlightenment.

I propose that a group of well-rounded, knowledgeable and advanced vapists (you know who you are - and aren't) get together and develop a classroom format training program... to teach Ohm's law formulas, battery safety, DMM use and coil building. Class would probably not go over 2 hours, once a month to start... but who knows where it goes.

Three, seven... 44 people - it really doesn't matter how many, because it just means more areas of the country, the world - will (eventually) have a trained and knowledgeable "teacher" in their area.

As an ex tech instructor, I can provide information as well as methodology, process and procedure. You... for your location and area would participate in self-training as needed to insure you are sufficiently well-rounded to both teach and accurately answer most student questions.
You will be responsible to provide training aids (stuff you already have - and what you can "borrow" from students), securing of location and advertizing for the event(s).

Your local B&M might offer some help here... as it's in their best interests to support their local vape community. A small fee could be charged (although I'd prefer it was as free as possible) to cover instructor out-of-pocket expenses... unless we can get vaping manufacturer/distributor/vendor financial support.

Anyone interested in participating in, and working towards a classroom training program? You don't need to be a "rocket surgeon"... you just need to have a good understanding of the subjects at hand.

PM might be the best way to keep track of actual willing idiots volunteers... and I'd be happy to act as the clearing house/information exchange once we have a group going.

If you've read this far, thanks. Anyone - potential instructor or student - who'd like to post a comment is welcome. Tell me I'm way off the mark and this is a waste of time... or tell me something else.
good.gif

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a really good idea. Wish I had the time and resources to help out. I've always thought that if I owned i B&M, I would offer classes. It would definitely bring people in and give them a the means to buy more products. Curious to see where this goes.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think this is a great idea.
I hope lots of people move in this direction.
It's my opinion that vaping is here to stay and education is a must.
I don't live in a town with any B&M and there are very few vapers here.
But I do get some who come to me looking for advice and instruction.
I'm hoping to start my own vape shop in this area and having training, safety and teaching courses will be a big part of my operation.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would like to see something like this, but crossing the teachers union is like running into the lions den with a necklace made of liver sausage and pants made of bacon....while bleeding from an open wound, on crutches made of deer bone.

I could see this working better, as a "club". Sure would be nice to learn the ropes with visuals however.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi folks...

Sorry I'm late in getting back, I've been on ECF and Vape Faction talking with their members.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and like bluraff3... am highly interested in where this goes. Rather than repeat all conversations across three different forums... the primary conversation site, as it has the largest, and perhaps most diverse membership, will be on ECF. The link to that is on my initial post.

Please feel free to comment, ask questions, flame or otherwise participate. I'll do my best to keep on top of things and respond to any questions or comments that need follow-up.

Celtic... thank you for your insights. I honestly don't forsee any issues with teachers unions. This will (probably) be on such a small scale to begin that we won't be a blip on anyone's radar... and as it's all volunteers with no monitary compensation... there's no money to be made. o_O

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds great and good on you but i am pessimistic given how todays World seems to be heading and unfortunately i don't see todays youth jumping on the bandwagon and doing the right, or should i say responsible thing to further the e cig industry's cause .

This forum along with many others answer just about every possible question there is for beginners and experienced a like. Now if these forums didn't exist it would be a blockbuster hit imo.

My B&M just told me that a bunch of teenagers walked into her shop and bought lots of vaping gear , the concerning thing is that they admitted they never smoked and thought vaping was the cool thing to do, this can't be good .

All over 18 and none bought juice with nic in it according to her.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
better that, then walking into a cigarette, pipe or cigar shop IMO. I do see a large portion of New vapers that seem to be in it for the cool cloud effects however...I think that has something to do with me not liking the RDA style vaping so much.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are as many good arguments to not try and do this as there are to go forward, VH. In fact, there may be more good reasons not to do it... but every time I see somewhere that a vapist has a runaway battery (in a forum, available for all, including antis to see) I wonder what they know, or don't know that caused this.

If a hands-on, face-to-face educational program, with instant, interpersonal interaction can prevent this from happening, even on a small scale... then I have to give it a shot. Not only for the individual, but for the good reputation of the vaping community at large.

Sorry to sound like a bible thumpin' evangilist... but I get that way when I'm on a mission, from God or otherwise. :rolleyes:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are as many good arguments to not try and do this as there are to go forward, VH. In fact, there may be more good reasons not to do it... but every time I see somewhere that a vapist has a runaway battery (in a forum, available for all, including antis to see) I wonder what they know, or don't know that caused this.

If a hands-on, face-to-face educational program, with instant, interpersonal interaction can prevent this from happening, even on a small scale... then I have to give it a shot. Not only for the individual, but for the good reputation of the vaping community at large.

Sorry to sound like a bible thumpin' evangilist... but I get that way when I'm on a mission, from God or otherwise. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong , i'm with you 100% , i'm just not confident in the people who might need education to take you up on it thats all , lets hope though , better to be optimistic . I don't have any mechanicals so i don't know much about them but i would love to be educated.

On another note , what concerns me is when i read some vapors who think it's a good idea to pull out a mechanical and start vaping in Walmart (no joke) .

There was another who admitted to vaping in the waiting room at a doctors office and when others complained the person said nothing to worry about it's not smoke , where do they find these people , wow.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi folks...

Sorry I'm late in getting back, I've been on ECF and Vape Faction talking with their members.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and like bluraff3... am highly interested in where this goes. Rather than repeat all conversations across three different forums... the primary conversation site, as it has the largest, and perhaps most diverse membership, will be on ECF. The link to that is on my initial post.

Please feel free to comment, ask questions, flame or otherwise participate. I'll do my best to keep on top of things and respond to any questions or comments that need follow-up.

Celtic... thank you for your insights. I honestly don't forsee any issues with teachers unions. This will (probably) be on such a small scale to begin that we won't be a blip on anyone's radar... and as it's all volunteers with no monitary compensation... there's no money to be made. o_O
This, is GREAT.. You have more of this?? You have my UNDIVIDED attention, Please.. Continue.
Hello all... I'm casting as wide a net as possible on this idea. Here is the original thread on ECF... and here's a copy for those who'd like to quote and comment, or just refuse to visit ECF. ;) Thanks for reading.

I see a dangerous situation developing... one that will (and probably already has) cast a negative light on the vaping community at large.
People with mechs and RBAs who know nothing about them - potentially dangerous to themselves and those around them - who need education and knowledge... if they're willing. (this last bit may be a issue unto itself)

There are those that can learn from reading, those that visual learners... and those that learn from direct classroom format training, where a combination of the above, plus "hands-on", is the path to enlightenment.

I propose that a group of well-rounded, knowledgeable and advanced vapists (you know who you are - and aren't) get together and develop a classroom format training program... to teach Ohm's law formulas, battery safety, DMM use and coil building. Class would probably not go over 2 hours, once a month to start... but who knows where it goes.

Three, seven... 44 people - it really doesn't matter how many, because it just means more areas of the country, the world - will (eventually) have a trained and knowledgeable "teacher" in their area.

As an ex tech instructor, I can provide information as well as methodology, process and procedure. You... for your location and area would participate in self-training as needed to insure you are sufficiently well-rounded to both teach and accurately answer most student questions.
You will be responsible to provide training aids (stuff you already have - and what you can "borrow" from students), securing of location and advertizing for the event(s).

Your local B&M might offer some help here... as it's in their best interests to support their local vape community. A small fee could be charged (although I'd prefer it was as free as possible) to cover instructor out-of-pocket expenses... unless we can get vaping manufacturer/distributor/vendor financial support.

Anyone interested in participating in, and working towards a classroom training program? You don't need to be a "rocket surgeon"... you just need to have a good understanding of the subjects at hand.

PM might be the best way to keep track of actual willing idiots volunteers... and I'd be happy to act as the clearing house/information exchange once we have a group going.

If you've read this far, thanks. Anyone - potential instructor or student - who'd like to post a comment is welcome. Tell me I'm way off the mark and this is a waste of time... or tell me something else.
good.gif
As I had said before, I want to learn, I know quite a bit, but I want to learn more so I can go out and teach. Whatever you have in print would be a great help, because I have already been in the helping / teaching arena here in my home town. If you can just give me places that have the in depth technical knowledge on mods and atomizers. I have a friend that I am working on DIY juice with, he owns a B&M and I would like to help him where and whenever possible, not to mention be there to correct fallacies about vaping in the general public. Point me in the right direction.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
better that, then walking into a cigarette, pipe or cigar shop IMO. I do see a large portion of New vapers that seem to be in it for the cool cloud effects however...I think that has something to do with me not liking the RDA style vaping so much.
Im more of a tank guy myself.. until now.. when Im beginning to start to mix my own flavors. that needs a good nose, a good dripper, and a bunch if cotton. I drip for taste, but Im an all day tank guy.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hear you on that one Galaxy, I LOOOVE my Giant! The coils they make for them are pretty awesome too, Ive had my tank for around a month and I just put in my third coil on her....I'm still filling it up twice a day however. LOL

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
GREAT FREAKING IDEA!

I am all for it!

If old "Fumble Fingers" can build an RBA "or and RDA even if I don't use them often" I can teach others to do what I was initially afraid to do!

Granted that my own gear is the Kayfun and Russian 91% and that is what I know best.

But if you give me a spool of Kanthal, a #6 nail, small needle nose pliers, the dorky screwdriver thingy that comes with the mods, nail clippers and some Ramie fiber and I can get the job done and teach it to others.

And my love of "noobs" to add to the process!

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love the idea. I try to pass on what little i know to others... esp when it comes to safe vaping,
t would be boastful however for me to toss my hat in the ring in any sort of teaching or leadership manner.
Let me just say, I will help with whatever you ask of me. Happy to serve.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello all... thank you for your interest in this project.

I have nothing in print at this time Galaxy, other than my blogs on ECF (the most popular being the mech and RDA, pressure differential atomizers and Kanthal articles) and and those are geared more to specific subjects than an all encompassing lesson plan.
Writing is actually the least of my worries. Given a solid week (which I actually don't have since I've gone back to work full time) I can easily write a 20 page lesson plan, and student handouts, for a 2-3 hour class.

cheers all... back to work!

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those of you that can make training videos..maybe Joe can start a "vaping underground" youtube channel, just send him your video's, have him upload em there

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Went by 2 of the local B&M to talk about the "vaping 101" class and they liked the idea.
For instance if they offered a 1 hour class one night a week and afterward a 10% coupon off of product they are already IN the store and might shop. PLUS it helps educate them (and maybe cut down on some of the silly return visits and those "this thing stopped working" claims.)

VU Sponsors