Become a Patron!

Ejuice smells like cat pee!!??

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a couple flavors of ejuice by the same company that smell great in the bottle and taste good while vaped but the remnants smell like cat pee. The drip tip will faintly smell that way and anyplace a bit of juice has been spilled and cleaned up smells that way too. It's weird. I don't want to name it specifically, lest someone think I'm bashing. I'm not. On the DIY forums, I've seen a lot of posts about honey flavors smelling nasty, but usually while its being vaped. Is it possible this juice has honey as a component? I really like it, I'm just weirded out by the after smell a bit. I guess I'll go ahead and say that they are Adirondack Placid and Sagamore. Anybody else experience this?

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have a cat??

Seriously though, I guess it depends on how much you like that juice/flavor, and is it worth it to keep vapeing it. I personally do not have that issue with any of my juices.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a cat??

Seriously though, I guess it depends on how much you like that juice/flavor, and is it worth it to keep vapeing it. I personally do not have that issue with any of my juices.
LOL. Yes. I have 8. But they're not peeing on my istick. At least I hope not. ; )

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just like lead, the Chinese have an abundant supply of cat pee, so are always finding innovative ways to dispose of it...
I wish I could find a use for it. That and the clods I scoop out of the litter boxes every day. I'd be a rich woman.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess I'll use it up while my other stuff steeps. Not bad on the draw and exhale. It's like there's some weird reaction going on after it degrades a bit.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a couple flavors of ejuice by the same company that smell great in the bottle and taste good while vaped but the remnants smell like cat pee. The drip tip will faintly smell that way and anyplace a bit of juice has been spilled and cleaned up smells that way too. It's weird. I don't want to name it specifically, lest someone think I'm bashing. I'm not. On the DIY forums, I've seen a lot of posts about honey flavors smelling nasty, but usually while its being vaped. Is it possible this juice has honey as a component? I really like it, I'm just weirded out by the after smell a bit. I guess I'll go ahead and say that they are Adirondack Placid and Sagamore. Anybody else experience this?
Really man? Shit I just ordered from them and of course two of the flavors I ordered are Placid and Sagamore. smh

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really man? Shit I just ordered from them and of course two of the flavors I ordered are Placid and Sagamore. smh
They taste great. I'm vaping it now. The Placid seems to leave more of a residue. It's pretty limey at first too, but it mellows. I'll be interested to see if you have the same experience. Again, I really wasn't trying to steer anybody totally away if they like that juice. Just wanted to see if anybody noticed it. It's not overpowereing, and not noticeable at first.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They taste great. I'm vaping it now. The Placid seems to leave more of a residue. It's pretty limey at first too, but it mellows. I'll be interested to see if you have the same experience. Again, I really wasn't trying to steer anybody totally away if they like that juice. Just wanted to see if anybody noticed it. It's not overpowereing, and not noticeable at first.
I don't have them in hand yet. They should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't notice it for several days. Maybe I just have a weird sense of smell.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have them in hand yet. They should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know.
I bought it at the vapeshop so it should've been steeped, but the Placid still benefited from shelving a couple weeks. The lime or honeysuckle in it is tangy in a sub ohm tank at first.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
animal-kingdom-pet-animal-litter_tray-interior_designer-cat-68139459_low.jpg

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You have 8 cats and the eliquid smells like cat pee?
That's a new one.

At least I do with out a doubt believe that you know what cat pee smells like.

Is it just a hint of light cat pee or is it like boy cat in heat marking territory pee?

You know the smell that comes off of certain suede shoes and never goes away if you get them wet once?

Back in high school the most expensive pair of shoes I had ever bought in my life (90 DOLLARS in 1991, I was 15) got wet and I had to throw them away.

I was mad as hell and I just went back to the name brand but lesser expensive $40 shoes forever.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have 8 cats and the eliquid smells like cat pee?
That's a new one.

At least I do with out a doubt believe that you know what cat pee smells like.

Is it just a hint of light cat pee or is it like boy cat in heat marking territory pee?

You know the smell that comes off of certain suede shoes and never goes away if you get them wet once?

Back in high school the most expensive pair of shoes I had ever bought in my life (90 DOLLARS in 1991, I was 15) got wet and I had to throw them away.

I was mad as hell and I just went back to the name brand but lesser expensive $40 shoes forever.
It faintly smells like cat spray. But I'm absolutely certain it isn't cat spray I'm smelling. They're all fixed. Oddly enough, my one cat that likes to mark territory is female. And she's not marking my tanks. She never comes into my room. It's definitely a chemical reaction of some sort.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just an oddity I noticed.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think some flavoring component is degrading over time and giving off that aroma. Maybe when it combines with something in the air. So far, I guess no one else has experienced that.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
cat-reading-book-1680x1050_zpshob3sgsc.jpg

Ok, now where do you keep the coils?????????
LOL. In my purse or on the headboard of my bed with the rest of my vape supplies. It would me a much simpler explanation ( but eewww...) that the cat actually did it, but not the case. It only happens with the two I mentioned. Not the strawberries or custards. This time, little Shadow is not to blame.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, I am aware I am on my way to being a crazy cat lady. Some would say I'm already there...:p

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I spend a large portion of my life lint rolling, because my wardrobe is mostly black and none of my cats are hairless. A lot of the time I wish they were.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It faintly smells like cat spray. But I'm absolutely certain it isn't cat spray I'm smelling. They're all fixed. Oddly enough, my one cat that likes to mark territory is female. And she's not marking my tanks. She never comes into my room. It's definitely a chemical reaction of some sort.
I have a feeling you have cat spray in your sinus cavities and everything smells like Pee!!!
7d17ff6215e55adb95dd817d3bf5258c.jpg

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I spend a large portion of my life lint rolling, because my wardrobe is mostly black and none of my cats are hairless. A lot of the time I wish they were.
The view from my lap...Screenshot_2015-11-15-15-33-37.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You know I have gotten some eliquids in the past back in 2013 when the market wasn't as large and didn't have as many good vendors that smelled like burnt cologne or perfume.
Maybe there is a non food type of flavoring agent that is causing this smell.

Is it only on the exhale or does the entire bottle have the smell before you vape it?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You know I have gotten some eliquids in the past back in 2013 when the market wasn't as large and didn't have as many good vendors that smelled like burnt cologne or perfume.
Maybe there is a non food type of flavoring agent that is causing this smell.

Is it only on the exhale or does the entire bottle have the smell before you vape it?
Not on exhale or in the bottle. Just around the drip tip, or where juice spills and contacts air.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have a feeling you have cat spray in your sinus cavities and everything smells like Pee!!!
7d17ff6215e55adb95dd817d3bf5258c.jpg

I think the juice really smells like cat piss.
She obviously knows what cat piss smells like as do I and I think she may have gotten an eliquid that is using an herbal type flavoring agent.
Most good vendors use 100% food flavorings and you can tell right away if an herbal type flavor is mixed in even at an amount as low as 1/4 of 1%

I can tag somebody that KNOWS flavor and she may be able to help shed light on what particular flavoring agent is causing this.

@Smoky Blue
Haaaaaalp?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyway, I'll be interested to see if Deucesjack notices anything similar with the Placid, especially.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Not on exhale or in the bottle. Just around the drip tip, or where juice spills and contacts air.

So if you got a few drops on your hand and wiped it on your shirt you would notice it but you can not smell it once it is vaporized correct?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Anyway, I'll be interested to see if Deucesjack notices anything similar with the Placid, especially.

I believe you 100% because I've got some odd smelling, looking, and tasting eliquid in my 3 1/2 year vaping history.
This actually does not surprise me one bit.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
She obviously knows what cat piss smells like as do I and I think she may have gotten an eliquid that is using an herbal type flavoring agent.
Most good vendors use 100% food flavorings and you can tell right away if an herbal type flavor is mixed in even at an amount as low as 1/4 of 1%

I can tag somebody that KNOWS flavor and she may be able to help shed light on what particular flavoring agent is causing this.

@Smoky Blue
Haaaaaalp?
LOL. Yes, I know what cat pee smells like. I am a crazy cat lady maybe, but it ain't the cats this time. My house does not smell like it. At least I hope not...LOL. I'm not offended by all the cat jokes. Used to it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, the Placid sounds like it has 2 somewhat floral flavors in it. So yeah, those can smell pretty odd, but be tasty vapes. The Sagamore, being RY4 with other flavors could also be coming into play here.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well, the Placid sounds like it has 2 somewhat floral flavors in it. So yeah, those can smell pretty odd, but be tasty vapes. The Sagamore, being RY4 with other flavors could also be coming into play here.

Floral flavors can also give off an odd smell.
There are some flavoring agents that smell wonderful to some and horrible to others.

I think @cmoorewv asked the question very professionally in order to not bash the company or upset it's current users.

A lot of members on here would have been a lot less professional about it and I applaud you for that @cmoorewv

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

@Smoky Blue
Haaaaaalp?
I am quite interested in this cat Pee flavoring agent but I still think that their is a sinus cavity issue..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

@Smoky Blue
Haaaaaalp?
The more I think about this I think that a M-Type agent of some type or a derivative could be at play at times when I used to mess with M-Type I smelled an odd musky kinda off scent.. hmm

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Me thinks the citrus scent is not from a ok to vape flavor enhancer...
At least I am not ok with vaping the secretions from a rodent's ass.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just the nature of chemicals. All flavors/aromas are just chemicals. The individual chemicals will evaporate/dissolve/reduce at different rates. So the concentration of of each chemical changes as the liquid dries. That can make it smell different. Sometimes different is unpleasant, and sometimes it's pleasant. Apparently, sometimes it can smell like cat pee.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The more I think about this I think that a M-Type agent of some type or a derivative could be at play at times when I used to mess with M-Type I smelled an odd musky kinda off scent.. hmm

M-Type is the worst flavoring known to man.
When I was new to DIY in 2013 I wasted 250ml's of 36mg/ml nic base and 300ml VG/PG.
I kept trying to dilute it more and more.
I only put 20ml's of flavoring in and after turning that to a 600ml batch
This means even as low as 3.33% M-Type flavoring per batch = complete shit.
Assholes on ECF were telling me "you need to add 10% of flavoring to your nic base to even taste."
I added 20ml's to 180ml's and ended up with something that just the smell would cause 3rd degree burns to your nose, face, eyes, and mouth.
Fuck M-Type.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
M-Type is the worst flavoring known to man.
When I was new to DIY in 2013 I wasted 250ml's of 36mg/ml nic base and 300ml VG/PG.
I kept trying to dilute it more and more.
I only put 20ml's of flavoring in and after turning that to a 600ml batch
This means even as low as 3.33% M-Type flavoring per batch = complete shit.
Assholes on ECF were telling me "you need to add 10% of flavoring to your nic base to even taste."
I added 20ml's to 180ml's and ended up with something that just the smell would cause 3rd degree burns to your nose, face, eyes, and mouth.
Fuck M-Type.
Yeah its been awhile I know I atone time was told to use a real high percentage of it back around 2013 same time period It just got in everything I remember spilling a few drops once and I swear it actually adhered and became part of every single bottle and item I had ... I remember vividly scrubbing and soaking and it would still be in whatever bottle or on it I just remember finally freaking out and throwing away everything and started all over

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anything with honey flavoring in it smells like cat piss to me after it's vaporized, so it's a little puzzling that whatever your juice is smells like cat piss the strongest before it's vaporized. *shrugs*

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL. Yes, I know what cat pee smells like. I am a crazy cat lady maybe, but it ain't the cats this time. My house does not smell like it. At least I hope not...LOL. I'm not offended by all the cat jokes. Used to it.
Hi Crazycat Lady. Lovely cats. I have two black cats, Flo and Eddy.
The taste/smell of urine you describe happens only with a couple flavors?
Some flavors have that after taste or smell or leave the aroma of urine in the air
you might investigate the ingredients of the offending juice and find out what some of the chemicals turn into when heated or vaporized.

I wonder also it the guilty party might not be your istick.
If that smells happens with more than one juice
or tank...fried circuits smell like cat pee

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Placid
A pleasant flavor of honeysuckle with a hint of pear, strawberry, and lime, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser. This crisp yet refreshing blend is our personal recommendation for an all-day vape.

This flavor is best used in a glass tank as it is possible that it may damage some plastic tanks on rare occasions.

Sagamore

A strong RY4 (Vanilla, Caramel, Tobacco) shines in Sagamore, but is followed up with notes of bakery cinnamon, and a bit of cake and cream to give you a satisfying, full flavored experience. The RY4 does not hide in the background on this one!

That tank cracker juice could be the possible offender.
When juices can crack a plastic tank they can also leech into grommets and orings (on drip tips even)
Have you tried cleaning out the tank, switching drip tips then using a different eliquid?

@Smoky Blue - Haaaaalp!!!!

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Placid
A pleasant flavor of honeysuckle with a hint of pear, strawberry, and lime, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser. This crisp yet refreshing blend is our personal recommendation for an all-day vape.

This flavor is best used in a glass tank as it is possible that it may damage some plastic tanks on rare occasions.

Sagamore

A strong RY4 (Vanilla, Caramel, Tobacco) shines in Sagamore, but is followed up with notes of bakery cinnamon, and a bit of cake and cream to give you a satisfying, full flavored experience. The RY4 does not hide in the background on this one!

When juices can crack a plastic tank they can also leech into grommets and orings (on drip tips even)
Have you tried cleaning out the tank, switching drip tips then using a different eliquid?

Makes sense about the tank crackers. The way an isub isade, you can't change tips. The tip is metal I think, but the tank is plastic, so this could be a possibility. It is pretty sturdy though. I've dropped it a few times and thankfully no damage. My other tanks are smok vcts. Pyrex, still. Not glass.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Placid

Sagamore

Makes sense about the tank crackers. The way an isub isade, you can't change tips. The tip is metal I think, but the tank is plastic, so this could be a possibility. It is pretty sturdy though. I've dropped it a few times and thankfully no damage. My other tanks are smok vcts. Pyrex, still. Not glass. I have cleaned them and switched liquids and it seems to help.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Makes sense about the tank crackers. The way an isub isade, you can't change tips. The tip is metal I think, but the tank is plastic, so this could be a possibility. It is pretty sturdy though. I've dropped it a few times and thankfully no damage. My other tanks are smok vcts. Pyrex, still. Not glass.

Pyrex is actually better than glass.
It's used in cookware for it's durability and can withstand heat.
A Pyrex tank will not crack from eliquid.
The honey could have leeched into the plastic on the other tank and since it can have the cat pee aroma that could be why it's hanging around.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The isub uses a German-made polycarbonate material for their tanks.
I have not dealt with these tanks of this specific type German-made polycarbonate material in the past so I do not know if leeching is possible but I am sure any o-rings and/or rubber grommets can leech tank cracking eliquids.

VU Sponsors