Become a Patron!

ER Visit Comments From Triage Nurse

Had to go to the ER for my shoulder last night (long story, don't ask) and when I was being admitted, he asked if I smoked. I told him, "No, but I switched to vaping." He turned and looked at me and said, "That's worse. A child's lungs collapsed and that kid died." I told him, "Well, I'm 50 and not a child. Why did a child have access to a vaporizer? How did he get it? Is it like when kids take cigarettes from their parents' packs? Children should not be vaping, and if you've never smoked, you probably shouldn't be vaping either. We absolutely know that cigarettes cause cancer and you're telling me that vaping is worse?" I rolled my eyes. Maybe that's why he didn't include the fact that tramadol induces seizures in my report and the doctor prescribed me tramadol.

I despise this attitude. Not to mention the triage nurse was terrible. I told him I'd had three surgeries on the shoulder. It wasn't thirty seconds before he asked me if I'd ever had any surgeries before...I'm so happy the best and brightest are working in my local hospital. Ugh.

I see why here in the States it's a battle. I knew it would be considering whose profits are being threatened, but it's worse than I thought. It's not really a big deal in France where my doctor recommended that I switch over to vaping. Yes. The land of big government! lol. It's a matter of education, keeping informed, and following the money...just like most everything else. There, they're encouraging people to quit or vape because it's more responsible. I felt better about it because I don't want my socialized medicine threatened. Also, they're increasing cigarette prices quite a bit because it is threatening to their system of medicine. Fortunately, the number of smokers in France (the country I began smoking in 27 years ago) is dropping off. People are either quitting because of the costs and that threat to their medical system, or switching to vaping. So here's to safer, more responsible vaping!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
( I rolled my eyes. Maybe that's why he didn't include the fact that tramadol induces seizures in my report and the doctor prescribed me tramadol.

I despise this attitude. Not to mention the triage nurse was terrible. I told him I'd had three surgeries on the shoulder. It wasn't thirty seconds before he asked me if I'd ever had any surgeries before...I'm so happy the best and brightest are working in my local hospital. Ugh.)
This didn't show up as a quote:rolleyes:

^^^^^ This is why I have no respect for doctors anymore, they don't listen to what you say, don't really care about people, and just rush you through so they can get to the next patient, their whole purpose of being a doctor is to make those "Big Bucks" instead of helping people:mad:

( I rolled my eyes. Maybe that's why he didn't include the fact that tramadol induces seizures in my report and the doctor prescribed me tramadol.

I despise this attitude. Not to mention the triage nurse was terrible. I told him I'd had three surgeries on the shoulder. It wasn't thirty seconds before he asked me if I'd ever had any surgeries before...I'm so happy the best and brightest are working in my local hospital. Ugh.)
This didn't show up as a quote:rolleyes:

^^^^^ This is why I have no respect for doctors anymore, they don't listen to what you say, don't really care about people, and just rush you through so they can get to the next patient, their whole purpose of being a doctor is to make those "Big Bucks" instead of helping people:mad:

Jimi I can't agree more. If they had put Tramadol into my vein, it could have caused major problems. Secondarily, that dumb (I'll keep my language conservative because I'm new ;) ) nurse proves the ignorance we're all up against. But as I said in my intro, I'm all-in on battling the big-money lobbies, the myths, and the blatant lies.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had a very similar experience at the hospital a year ago.

I recently had to go to the ER again from work and just said no when they asked if I smoke. There's another part to this story though.....the doctor sent me for a chest x-ray. I suddenly got really nervous because I was a heavy smoker for so long and haven't had a chest x-ray for over 10 years. It's just naturally in the back of the mind I guess, what if they find something from all those years of cigarettes? When the doctor came back with the results he simply said that the x-ray and lungs looked good. I almost made a comment that the switch to vaping has clearly benefited me, but decided to leave well enough alone.

I had a very similar experience at the hospital a year ago.

I recently had to go to the ER again from work and just said no when they asked if I smoke. There's another part to this story though.....the doctor sent me for a chest x-ray. I suddenly got really nervous because I was a heavy smoker for so long and haven't had a chest x-ray for over 10 years. It's just naturally in the back of the mind I guess, what if they find something from all those years of cigarettes? When the doctor came back with the results he simply said that the x-ray and lungs looked good. I almost made a comment that the switch to vaping has clearly benefited me, but decided to leave well enough alone.

That's an interesting scenario. First, glad your lungs are in good health! And Congrats on not smoking for 10 years. But it does bring up a good question: to tell them we vape or not to. I guess if you're in pain like I was last night, it can cause another PITA you don't need. On the other hand, saying so (if you're in the condition to do it) can possibly be beneficial for dispelling myths. Just curious. Have you vaped for 10 years and is that the way you quit smoking? The triage nurse who said that to me last night was ill-informed, and as you can see, I didn't have much respect for the way he didn't listen to what I told him. Granted, it can get hectic in ER's, but you shouldn't be there if you can't do your job properly. It's not like people's lives may be on the line or anything, right? Had they put an IV in my arm and loaded me up with Tramadol they would have had a suit on their hands, and it would have all been due to a guy who didn't listen to me. I know he didn't have the time to enter the 5 surgeries into the computer when I listed them. He tapped the keys for a few seconds and said, "Alright let's get ya' an X-Ray boss." Pfft.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's an interesting scenario. First, glad your lungs are in good health! And Congrats on not smoking for 10 years. But it does bring up a good question: to tell them we vape or not to. I guess if you're in pain like I was last night, it can cause another PITA you don't need. On the other hand, saying so (if you're in the condition to do it) can possibly be beneficial for dispelling myths. Just curious. Have you vaped for 10 years and is that the way you quit smoking? The triage nurse who said that to me last night was ill-informed, and as you can see, I didn't have much respect for the way he didn't listen to what I told him. Granted, it can get hectic in ER's, but you shouldn't be there if you can't do your job properly. It's not like people's lives may be on the line or anything, right? Had they put an IV in my arm and loaded me up with Tramadol they would have had a suit on their hands, and it would have all been due to a guy who didn't listen to me. I know he didn't have the time to enter the 5 surgeries into the computer when I listed them. He tapped the keys for a few seconds and said, "Alright let's get ya' an X-Ray boss." Pfft.
I should have worded my post better, I hadn't had a chest x-ray in 10 years, I only quit smoking with vaping 3 years ago.

Last year when at the hospital I was ganged up on by 2 ignorant nurses who insisted that vaping was just as bad as smoking, despite a very thorough fact based argument from me they couldn't be persuaded. The whole experience made me decide that when asked if I smoke by a health care provider in the future I'd just say no. It's funny that they don't ask if you vape (yet)

I think the only time I'd volunteer that I vape is if it was a visit related to any cardiovascular or circulatory issues, then it might be pertinent information since nicotine can have effects in relation to that.

I also agree with you that Emergency rooms get hectic, but when you think about it the questions they're asking could be life or death, like you pointed out. Hope the shoulder is getting better!

Thanks. It feels a little better this morning. The problem is that I have a prosthesis in there and a simple reduction is no longer an option. It does slide around in the socket, though, and it slid down far enough last night that I couldn't move it. I got freaked out. The prosthesis has only been in there since last December.

Yeah, I see your point about not volunteering the information. After all, if you're in the ER you don't need to be preached to. You need care and it should end there. I absolutely hate going to see any doctor now. After 20 years of shoulder problems and dealing with ER employees and arrogant surgeons, I've had my fill for sure.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm a low paid nurse and vaping since 2010. One thing I don't disclose is that I vape. The medical (most) field is inhibited by folks who don't educate themselves. A perfect example: I went for a mammogram this past Monday. I have autoimmune liver disease. Its a disease that my body attacks the liver. The lab technician thought it was from alcohol and that I might be contagious. LOL I had to perform a teaching moment on my dime. I have talked to so called medical professionals (nurses/doctors) and most of them are narrow minded. If I told them I vape they would blame it for me having autoimmune disease. I just say I use to smoke. It's easier and no judging occurs.

P.S. Those kids are vaping THC and other things they are obtaining on the streets.

I'm a low paid nurse and vaping since 2010. One thing I don't disclose is that I vape. The medical (most) field is inhibited by folks who don't educate themselves. A perfect example: I went for a mammogram this past Monday. I have autoimmune liver disease. Its a disease that my body attacks the liver. The lab technician thought it was from alcohol and that I might be contagious. LOL I had to perform a teaching moment on my dime. I have talked to so called medical professionals (nurses/doctors) and most of them are narrow minded. If I told them I vape they would blame it for me having autoimmune disease. I just say I use to smoke. It's easier and no judging occurs.

P.S. Those kids are vaping THC and other things they are obtaining on the streets.

First, sorry to hear you're low-paid. Nurses are an invaluable resource, just like teachers. I'll just say that I learned my lesson last night. And sorry about your autoimmune disease. I'm back here because, among other issues, my mom has two.

Being back in the States I have to adjust back to the mindset here. In France, I would, by and large, be applauded for abandoning cigarettes. Here - as we've been discussing - not so much. So I've learned my lesson. I don't even know if what the triage nurse told me last night (it wasn't the doctor - the subject didn't even come up as we checked out the X-Ray) is true. He seemed to imply that this was a small child, but I don't know. He couldn't even do his job correctly. There's no doubt in my mind that people will use vapes for the wrong reasons, just like people started using hypodermic needles for the wrong reasons. It's basically the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey. We discover or invent tools, then turn them on ourselves, so it's good to keep that in the back of our minds as we move through this struggle. This is simply the latest iteration of an old, old story, and vaporizers are the newest scapegoat. All I can say is: I don't smoke cigarettes anymore. And the reason is I switched to vaping. Of course, we could all stop driving our cars and quit burning fossil fuels and that would be a much greater benefit to the general good, but fingers, they just gotta be pointed. :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, when I mentioned to my doc, back in Jan 2014, that I was thinking of trying e-cigarettes, his ears perked up like a beagle's and he said "Yes, do try them!" On his way out the door, he made a point of turning around and repeating "Go ahead and give e-cigarettes a try!" Because that man has been trying to push patches and every other useless thing at me for over 20 yrs. When I came in a few months later, NOT reeking of smoke, the NURSES knew right away that I was no longer a smoker! The doc looked like he'd been struck by lightening.

All he's ever said is "Still vaping?" Yes. "Still not smoking?" Nope. "Any plans to quit vaping?" No, because then I'd go back to smoking. "Ok, keep vaping then!"

It's wonderful to have an INTELLIGENT doctor.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have autoimmune liver disease. Its a disease that my body attacks the liver. The lab technician thought it was from alcohol and that I might be contagious.

*shaking my noggin* Sure, consuming alcohol is contagious if you lack free will, and sure the spread of autoimmune disease by way of consuming alcohol is contagious.

You need to start rolling right with the bullshit they spew. "Oh my God, you are soooo right. You better initiate biological hazard containment protocol Delta right NOW! Do not let the doctor stop you, I might spread this nasty stuff. Quick, you need to get yourself tested too! I hope I have not infected you." Pour it right on the stupid fuckers.

Maybe if they start tasting their own shit sandwiches they can learn, ... we can hope.

(Last time I understood anything about NBC (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological) protocols was 20+ years ago. Proto-Delta as protocol Delta was called, involves a scorched Earth policy. Burn away all the disease, leave nothing standing, all is ash. Delta from the Greek meaning change, change being known as flux, flux also referring to the stasis of fire ... so it "kept it simple" to understand "In Nature Fire Cleanses" so, hit protocol Delta, clean the disease away.)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors