Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
C9F0748C-D4DD-4417-AC36-62C6065C57C8.jpeg

48A4713E-6AE9-4D6B-946D-7C7F373A342F.jpeg
I know I’m not the only vet who’s done something dumb. But, I want to show the newer vapers what can happen on the even of logic failure and carelessness. Feel free to share your story also. It’s for the benefit of those learning the hobby.

For those that don’t know:
I’ve been vaping almost 6 years now. Additionally I’m a T12/L1 spinal cord injury, which means I have now feeling or movement in my legs. (I mention this because it is key). I have to be more careful with mods in my pocket, because I won’t feel a misfire.
Back in November, I was kidding in bed and threw my mechmods in bed and then jumped in. Something I do every night. This time; however, I forgot to lock the Mech. I didn’t realize this lapse of thought until i was watching tv and smelled what I could only describe as burnt hamburger. As the smell grew stronger I started searching more rapidly. Finally I saw a charr mark underneath me on the bedding and slid over to feel a red hot mod under my thigh. I flipped over and looked back to see my wife’s look of horror. We then rushed to ER to find out I had a 17mmX6.5mm 3rd degree burn on my thigh.
It’s now 12mmx4mm.
The picture shown is cleaned up.

Let my mistake be a lesson for others. Lock your mods when not in use and be vigilant of all safety. I got lucky, had I been using bad batteries or a bad build, It Could have been far worse.

I’m in no way blaming anyone but myself, I’m merely wanting to help those that we harp safety on to see first hand results of negligence. I think it would serve some well to hear some of the mistakes we vets make

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 102395

View attachment 102393
I know I’m not the only vet who’s done something dumb. But, I want to show the newer vapers what can happen on the even of logic failure and carelessness. Feel free to share your story also. It’s for the benefit of those learning the hobby.

I’ve been vaping almost 6 years now. Additionally I’m a T12/L1 spinal cord injury, which means I have now feeling or movement in my legs. (I mention this because it is key). I have to be more careful with mods in my pocket, because I won’t feel a misfire.
Back in November, I was kidding in bed and threw my mechmods in bed and then jumped in. Something I do every night. This time; however, I forgot to lock the Mech. I didn’t realize this lapse of thought until i was watching tv and smelled what I could only describe as burnt hamburger. As the smell grew stronger I started searching more rapidly. Finally I saw a charr mark underneath me on the bedding and slid over to feel a red hot mod under my thigh. I flipped over and looked back to see my wife’s look of horror. We then rushed to ER to find out I had a 17mmX6.5mm 3rd degree burn on my thigh.
It’s now 12mmx4mm.

Let my mistake be a lesson for others. Lock your mods when not in use and be vigilant of all safety. I got lucky, had I been using bad batteries or a bad build, It Could have been far worse.

I’m in no way blaming anyone but myself, I’m merely wanting to help those that we harp safety on to see first hand results of negligence. I think it would serve some well to hear some of the mistakes we vets make
:sad: ...honesty at its finest. So very sorry this happened to you and yes, it's proof that accidents can happen to any of us. I really hope this reaches all our members, not just the new ones. I hate that this happened to you. :(

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Dang Bird - very sorry to hear you had to go through that - but a very important cautionary tale....

Here's mine from last May - not nearly as dramatic and also could have been a lot worse:

Was vaping away on a P67 with a shift clone - enjoying the vape immensely.

Set the mod down on my nightstand and went into the other room to do something.

Can't remember how long I was gone - thinking less than 5 minutes?

Anyway, as I'm about to sit down I hear a noise I don't like, sounds like an attie hissing

Son of a gun, when I set the P67 down next to my coffee mug, it was too close and was pressing against the firing button!!!!

Swatted it away from the cup - this is what was left

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 3.49.16 PM.png

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
:sad: ...honesty at its finest. So very sorry this happened to you and yes, it's proof that accidents can happen to any of us. I really hope this reaches all our members, not just the new ones. I hate that this happened to you. :(
It looked like cooked pork at first.
At least now 3 months later it’s finally improving

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really sorry to hear that happened. It just goes to show how easy it can be to make a huge mistake. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure some of us would be reluctant to post something like this for fear of shame.

I got a little bit of a lesson in mech safety a few days ago. I was driving and had 2 mods with me, the Vaperz Cloud Stratus and VCM2. I was using the Stratus and when I was ready for a break I put it in my cup holder next to my VCM2. The metal on the outside of the two mods came in contact and it completed the circuit on my Stratus, causing it to auto-fire. Luckily I noticed vapor coming from my atty, but this could have been a bad scene if I didn't notice and then went into a store or something.

Not a horror story, but it at least taught me that I can't get too comfortable with these devices.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
"and threw my mechmods in bed and then jumped in."......what?

I use the chair as a nightstand so I have to put the mod someplace when I transfer. So I would throw the mod in the bed. Then transfer from the wheelchair to the bed.

Of all the battery powered devices you could bring to bed with you...you choose a fucking vaping mod...your poor wife.
Those other things we won’t talk about in a public venue.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Believe me ....I won’t!
A very hard lesson learned. Now I use the actual nightstand. It was a very novel idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I used to use a heating pad in bed...one night it started smoking....now my wife won';t allow me to use electricity...I'll never hear the end of it,she pats me down before bed time for contraband. which on second thought ain't a bad thing.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
yeah I used to use a heating pad in bed...one night it started smoking....now my wife won';t allow me to use electricity...I'll never hear the end of it,she pats me down before bed time for contraband. which on second thought ain't a bad thing.

Lol, I rather enjoy the patdown.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 102395

View attachment 102393

It’s now 12mmx4mm.

DAMN!
Sorry that happened to ya.
Hang in there and get better.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Definitely serves as a reminder to treat these mechs with respect and not become complacent thanks for sharing @f1r3b1rd.

I appreciate it probably wasn’t easy sharing this and attracting unwanted attention, you did the right thing making people aware of what can go wrong, even when you know your stuff

Heal up soon :cheers:

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with everyone else. On all accounts your very lucky to have gotten away with what you did. I am sorry you had to go through that tho. A true inspiration and a noble thing sharing with the members.
Respect man

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh come one now people this is getting maudin....You're really milking this bird....I'm starting to think for pulling a colts trick like this we should make you under go probation... restrict you to boge cartomizers and an ego twist for 6 months , then work your way up to something more powerful like say.
1f573937bd6d5138e168b63f1c994c3a--bling-pearls.jpg

Until you've shown you can be trusted with a real mod without turning your ass into a pulled pork sandwich

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh come one now people this is getting maudin....You're really milking this bird....I'm starting to think for pulling a colts trick like this we should make you under go probation... restrict you to boge cartomizers and an ego twist for 6 months , then work your way up to something more powerful like say.
1f573937bd6d5138e168b63f1c994c3a--bling-pearls.jpg

Until you've shown you can be trusted with a real mod without turning your ass into a pulled pork sandwich

Hahah- at least let me keep my kayfun.

Honestly, I was really hoping to use it to spark a conversation amongst those of us who are the experienced vapors on our own mistakes, to help others with safety.
All the preaching we’ve done has still fallen on some deaf ears. Maybe showing them will help?

Thankfully, I saw a few people talking about their ‘oops’ moments. @JuicyLucy melted an atty.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes in life we all need a gut check about something and thank you for bringing safety to the forefront of our minds.
Lets take that extra precaution.
I'm not a vet, so I'm innocent :teehee:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hahah- at least let me keep my kayfun.

Honestly, I was really hoping to use it to spark a conversation amongst those of us who are the experienced vapors on our own mistakes, to help others with safety.
All the preaching we’ve done has still fallen on some deaf ears. Maybe showing them will help?

Thankfully, I saw a few people talking about their ‘oops’ moments. @JuicyLucy melted an atty.

At the time, I almost kept that one to myself - embarrassing as hell.

But like yourself, thought it was important to warn others what can happen if you get careless

Thanks for the share and so sorry this happened to you :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

I'm not a vet, so I'm innocent :teehee:
Actually, I do have something I can add.
I run regulated and had one of those single cell mods that has the screw cap on top. After using it for quite a few months, every once in a while I noticed that cap got hot when fired.

First I thought it was because of high drain cells or it was battery, till I tried new battery and it continued. So I thought I was pushing the mod too hard, backed off the wattage and that seemed to help.

But then it started eating battery life and knew it had to be the mod. Stopped using it and noticed a joint in the housing was loose. It was in a place where it took two hands in the right places to detect. Couldn’t see it, barely noticeable, and highly dangerous.

So what I could add is routinely inspect all your mods (all gear) at least to the ability that you can. Don’t take it for granted. And if you see/detect anything, don’t use it.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Actually, I do have something I can add.
I run regulated and had one of those single cell mods that has the screw cap on top. After using it for quite a few months, every once in a while I noticed that cap got hot when fired.

First I thought it was because of high drain cells or it was battery, till I tried new battery and it continued. So I thought I was pushing the mod too hard, backed off the wattage and that seemed to help.

But then it started eating battery life and knew it had to be the mod. Stopped using it and noticed a joint in the housing was loose. It was in a place where it took two hands in the right places to detect. Couldn’t see it, barely noticeable, and highly dangerous.

So what I could add is routinely inspect all your mods (all gear) at least to the ability that you can. Don’t take it for granted. And if you see/detect anything, don’t use it.

Good tip! Thank you for sharing and glad you caught the problem.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
At the time, I almost kept that one to myself - embarrassing as hell.

But like yourself, thought it was important to warn others what can happen if you get careless

Thanks for the share and so sorry this happened to you :hug:

Thank you and it’s all good. (Can’t feel it anyway)

I have to admit, the melted top on your atty looked funny. It reminded me the sorting hat in Harry Potter.
Thank you for sharing that story though. Glad it didn’t cause any other issues and I hope it didn’t mess up the reo.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ouch, sorry to hear this happened to you mate, I hope the burns are healing up well.

I've made a silly mistake before, also with a mech mod. I was using a noisy cricket for a while, and switched back to my abaddon. I put the batteries in series instead of parallel, and as soon as I put the door back on and tightened the connections, the mod heated up- a lot faster than I would of expected. I managed to get the door off, and threw the mod out of my window.

I don't think the batteries vented, but the wraps had melted. Just one little lapse in memory or one mistake can catch us all out.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear and hope you heal up well. Definitely a reminder to all of us who use LI batteries, especially mech users. At least you aren’t blaming the mod like all the main stream news stories.

My embarrassing story is short (no pun intended lol)
Dumb ass me was trying to clean arc marks off the positive cap of a cell with steel wool, the wool went under the insulator and contacted the negative via the rim igniting the steel wool, burning my fingers and melting the wrap :facepalm:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear and hope you heal up well. Definitely a reminder to all of us who use LI batteries, especially mech users. At least you aren’t blaming the mod like all the main stream news stories.

My embarrassing story is short (no pun intended lol)
Dumb ass me was trying to clean arc marks off the positive cap of a cell with steel wool, the wool went under the insulator and contacted the negative via the rim igniting the steel wool, burning my fingers and melting the wrap :facepalm:
good one.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
View attachment 102395

View attachment 102393

It’s now 12mmx4mm.

Ouch I know how painful a burn can be glad you’re healing up now @f1r3b1rd !
I don’t have anything that dramatic to report but I did hear a little Ego One 1100 start to fire in my pocket and pulled it out and now I always double check to make sure I’ve turned it off before pocketing.
I work in the power industry and one lesson there is it isn’t the new electricians who are more likely to have an electrical shock or flash, it’s the more experienced ones. We can get complacent and over confident doing repetitive things we’ve always done.
I also had an incident where I spilled 10-12 drops of 100mg Nic on my hand while mixing, and as we’ve all read here on VU one drop will kill you so of course I died instantly. Well actually I mix at the sink so I calmly washed it off without fear as I had previously read up on the subject of nicotine danger where reputable research was done. :)

Vapellie

Member For 4 Years
Wow what a great thread, and sorry to hear your misfortunes, I hope OP is well on the road to recovery.
Very brave and inspirational to post. I think (at least over here in the UK vape community) when someone makes the news for blowing their face up when vaping, there is a tendency to swear at their stupidity and generally question their IQ, which would discourage this kind of conversation.
I'm always too worried that a moment's absent-mindedness with a mech would make me that headline. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing, but it would only take a moment's lapse in attention to make a fundamental error!
That's why my mechs are only allowed out to play on occasion lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Natawa77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
View attachment 102395

View attachment 102393

It’s now 12mmx4mm.

This is very scary( Thats why i dont use mech:bomb:
Anyway - this is better then cancer from cigarets;)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This is very scary( Thats why i dont use mech:bomb:
Anyway - this is better then cancer from cigarets;)

Regulated mods without a cutoff will do the same thing, sadly

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Regulated mods without a cutoff will do the same thing, sadly

Would have to be pretty antiquated I would think since I can't think of any made in the last few years without some thermal protection built in.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would have to be pretty antiquated I would think since I can't think of any made in the last few years without some thermal protection built in.
With the vast majority of modern regulated mods, in wattage mode the puff cut-off timer is basically all you have, as the atomizer can very quickly get a LOT hotter than the mod itself, while the overheat protection of the mod only protects the mod itself against the potential risk of overheating. My RX300 does up to 400 watts, but with ArcticFox / NFE Tools you can set your own safety limits, i.e. both the maximum power output and the puff cut-off timer can be user-adjusted by using the NFE Tools via the USB connection after the ArcticFox firmware has been installed, and in fact so can the battery voltage cut-off. Such is the difference between a modern regulated mod and a modern ADVANCED regulated mod... albeit it is still up to the user to decide to actually use these extra safety features─and use them correctly.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You seem to be forgetting the Thermal Protection for the boards.
No, like I already tried to explain, the thermal protection for the board cannot prevent the ATOMIZER from overheating if using the mod in wattage mode at high wattage. Only the puff cut-off timer can.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A fine example of why I only use regulated mods...

If I used mech's most likely I would have set my home or car or both on fire by new.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheer Up: they'll come up with a way to remove those Freedoms, too.
My RX300 does up to 400 watts, but with ArcticFox / NFE Tools you can set your own safety limits, i.e. both the maximum power output and the puff cut-off timer can be user-adjusted by using the NFE Tools via the USB connection after the ArcticFox firmware has been installed, and in fact so can the battery voltage cut-off. Such is the difference between a modern regulated mod and a modern ADVANCED regulated mod... albeit it is still up to the user to decide to actually use these extra safety features─and use them correctly.

Blargh23

Member For 1 Year
Nothing nearly so dramatic, but finally figured why my mod was randomly cutting out. I was triggering the temperature protection by putting it on the desk where the vent side of my laptop was blowing on it. You'd think that it being rather warm would've clued me...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cheer Up: they'll come up with a way to remove those Freedoms, too.
I own not just one, but two RX300 mods and only use them occasionally these days. I also own two Surrics (that I also use only occasionally these days), and 22 mech mods each one of which is a very durable quality authentic (BJ Box Mods / Deathwish Modz / League Of Scoundrels / Purge Mods / RNV Designs / Ronin Mods / Vapergate / Vaperz Cloud). I even own the US Navy to protect my freedoms. So I'm not too worried.

navy.jpg

se7envirtues

Member For 1 Year
Holy snap! I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but huge props for putting the word of warning out there. I am still in my first yearish of vaping and luckily have avoided giving myself third degree burns. There was only one time my mod posed a danger to anyone and it was because I forgot to lock it when I put it in my hoodie pocket. :( Snuggled up with the girlfriend and next thing I know she's squawking (not squonking) about being BURNT! So, I learned that lesson pretty quickly and she wasn't too crispy. Then again, I'm a short order cook so my perception of what's hot and what's not is a wee skewed.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The US Navy has banned vaping on all ships o_O
US Navy is the name of my mod. See the pic I posted... it's a limited edition CONSVR with "US NAVY" on one side, and on the other side it says "INFIDEL". :sneaka:

VU Sponsors