Become a Patron!

ExVape Expromizer V5 Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

It's a little unusual to have an MTL RTA in my hands that doesn't have a selection of airflow pins or inserts of some sort. The Pioneer, Artemis, Berserker Mini V2 and Intake MTL all had one or the other, while the Expromizer v5 has just an adjustable airflow ring and adjustable juice flow control.
DSC_0114.jpg
Images are here

First impressions

The Expromizer V5 has a quite distinctive design, it's tall, with a metal cage protecting the glass tank and four cutouts - two show the juice level and two form the letters EX.

The deck is quite underwhelming, just two opposing posts with flathead screws to hold your coil and undercoil airflow comprised of a row three small holes - no fancy clamps, nothing adjustable or replaceable, no chamber reducers.

The top-cap is slide-to-fill, but has a ring that you have to unscrew before sliding the cap, depending on your perspective, this is either one annoying step more than is necessary or a nice addition that makes sure it doesn't open in your pocket.

The 510 drip-tip is in two parts, however due to it fitting into a raised platform a few cone-style drip-tips will overhang. The vast majority of my 510 drip-tips fitted just fine.
DSC_0118.jpg
Build

No tricks or special techniques are required for the coil or the wicking, I put the coil in a slightly raised position with the center of the coil just about in line with the top of the screws.

Wicks were cut to the outside of the base, fluffed, combed, trimmed and stuffed into the deck. It wicked perfectly first time - it's just an easy build.
DSC_0013.jpg
How does it vape?

I tried three builds in it, 2.5mm 26g A1, 3.0mm 26g A1 and 2.5mm 30g superfine MTL fused clapton, I got the best performance with the 2.5mm builds.

I tested the Expromizer V5 directly after testing the Pioneer MTL RTA, so direct comparisons are very easy to make.

The Expromizer has better flavor than the Pioneer and most other MTL RTAs. The Artemis starts to match it at around 25w, but for flavor throughout a wattage range, I don't think any MTL RTA that I've tried can touch it. However, at lower wattages the Pioneer is a more satisfying vape, with better throat hit - that's not to say that it has zero throat hit, it's just not quite as good.

Just having good flavor isn't the Expromizer's only trick - despite having no inserts, etc, it's really versatile within MTL ranges - zero airflow holes open with a round wire build at 15W - good flavor, all the holes open with the same build at 20W - same good flavor, large slot completely open with the same build again at 25W - still the same excellent flavor.

Juiceflow

I'm not sure how necessary the juiceflow control really is, I kept mine fully open at all times and didn't get a flooded deck, no matter which PG/VG ratio juice I used. It's also unlikely to leak anyway, because the airflow intakes are at the top of the tank. However, if you do feel the need to adjust the juiceflow control, just twist the tank by grabbing hold of the bottom knurled ring and you can see the juiceflow holes rotating through one of the cutout windows in the metal tank protector.
DSC_0123.jpg
Airflow

The top airflow control ring is also knurled, there is one row of holes that you can gradually close down and one large slot for when you want more airflow. It goes from tight MTL with everything closed, to loose MTL with the slot fully open, even when fully open it would be hard to call it restricted DTL.
DSC_0127.jpg
What do I like about it?

• Flavor - the flavor is outstanding. Flavor chasing MTL at its best.
  • Versatility - from 12.5W to 25W, it's excellent with only airflow adjustment.
  • Build - easy to coil and wick.
What don't I like about it?

• Throat hit - it lacks a little throat hit at lower wattages when compared to some other MTL RTAs.
  • Slide top-fill - as with so many slide fill top-caps, the drip-tip gets in the way when filling.
Conclusion

I like the Expromizer V5 a lot - with most MTL RTAs, I find their sweet spot and stick to it - but not with this RTA - sweet range, rather than sweet spot would be the best way to describe why I like it. Add to that the fact that the flavor is excellent and it's a winner.

Disclaimer

The Expromizer V5 was sent to me by Sourcemore - they currently have a promo, if you use the code EXV5 the price is reduced from $31.49 to $27.69.

VU Sponsors