Become a Patron!

Fairly new to vaping, need some advice.

Hello!

I'm fairly new to vaping and jumped from an aspire pockex straight up to a iJoy Captain PD270 mod with an aspire cleito 120 tank.

You obviously get 2 coils with the new tank and I've managed to burn both of these coils within a matter of days, I'm quite annoyed with myself.

I'd primed the coils, left them to soak for 20-30mins too. Started low wattage on both coils (40w) ad worked my way up to 50w because that's what I liked... and within 24hours of putting the coils in, they'd burned out.

Currently I'm using Polar Fruits Everest juice.

I should add that my partner is using the exact same set up as me (I just went with what he had because it was easier for me) and has just started having similiar issues even though he's been doing all of the above for many months/years.

Could it be something I'm doing wrong? Or could it ******** that the juice is a bad batch or anything? I'm frustrated because it's left with me no coils until the new ones arrive! My aspire pockex ones would last 2-3 weeks... so yeah, very frustrated.

If anyone could offer any thoughts/advice/any better juices or anything I'd be very grateful!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hello!

I'm fairly new to vaping and jumped from an aspire pockex straight up to a iJoy Captain PD270 mod with an aspire cleito 120 tank.

You obviously get 2 coils with the new tank and I've managed to burn both of these coils within a matter of days, I'm quite annoyed with myself.

I'd primed the coils, left them to soak for 20-30mins too. Started low wattage on both coils (40w) ad worked my way up to 50w because that's what I liked... and within 24hours of putting the coils in, they'd burned out.

Currently I'm using Polar Fruits Everest juice.

I should add that my partner is using the exact same set up as me (I just went with what he had because it was easier for me) and has just started having similiar issues even though he's been doing all of the above for many months/years.

Could it be something I'm doing wrong? Or could it simply be that the juice is a bad batch or anything? I'm frustrated because it's left with me no coils until the new ones arrive! My aspire pockex ones would last 2-3 weeks... so yeah, very frustrated.

If anyone could offer any thoughts/advice/any better juices or anything I'd be very grateful!

Cheers

Welcome to the vu!!
I don't use stock coils much, so I'm not sure how much help this will be:

It could be the juice itself, sugary juices tend to burn through cokls quicker.
It could be running it to hard(wattage set to high, hitting it so often that the coil doesnt have the chance to wick and keep up)
It could be a bum run of coils

I would either take a look at a different line of tanks with could thay fit yall better, or y'all could start exploring the wonderful world of rebuildables and not have to worry about stock coils at all.

When I started vaping and ran out of coils, I went and got an rba just to lower the maintenance cost and inconvenience of a stock coil tank.

Welcome to the vu!!
I don't use stock coils much, so I'm not sure how much help this will be:

It could be the juice itself, sugary juices tend to burn through cokls quicker.
It could be running it to hard(wattage set to high, hitting it so often that the coil doesnt have the chance to wick and keep up)
It could be a bum run of coils

I would either take a look at a different line of tanks with could thay fit yall better, or y'all could start exploring the wonderful world of rebuildables and not have to worry about stock coils at all.

When I started vaping and ran out of coils, I went and got an rba just to lower the maintenance cost and inconvenience of a stock coil tank.

Thanks for the reply!

yea, i've only been using it at 50watts and to be honest, I hadn't even been hammering it today. I've been in work, I don't take it in to work so hadn't used it for a good few hours. Went for a little drive and I suppose I used it a little then. But I think it could be the juice.

My uses the exact same set up, exact same wattage and juice, we bought the juice from the same supplier around the same time so I have a feeling it could be that. I've bought myself some mesh coils for now (I'm not quite ready for RBA) and a different kind of juice and I'm gonna see how that fairs. I'll also bare in mind that I need to give time between each vape to allow the juice to soak back in... I had been doing that but maybe I need to be even more mindful.

I'll give this a go, and take that advice and see how it goes.

Thanks for the response!

I've also been told that if I run the wattage too low that this could be burning the coils out? Is this true? I can't see how it would be...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've also been told that if I run the wattage too low that this could be burning the coils out? Is this true? I can't see how it would be...
That's a new on me. I suppose if you're running it low and just holding down the button yeah

the cleito 120 tank and coils are generally fantastic and that is why they are still in demand to date. i see loads of people with them still. reasons you are experiencing problems is mainly down to either the juice you are using isn't a high vg juice, your running your juice too low and drying the cotton or the quality of the juice is bad

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
the cleito 120 tank and coils are generally fantastic and that is why they are still in demand to date. i see loads of people with them still. reasons you are experiencing problems is mainly down to either the juice you are using isn't a high vg juice, your running your juice too low and drying the cotton or the quality of the juice is bad

Thank you for this, turns out it was just that that was the problem. A friend explained it to me in very simple terms.
I've gone for a lower wattage coil now and I've bought a new juice (Wick Liquor) to try and see what happens!

@watson123 and @f1r3b1rd make a good point about the juice

I use Aspire Atlantis coils and get a good 50 - 60 mls through it before the taste gets wonky.
When I did have a problem, it was usually a new juice I was trying.

Try some
https://verdevalleyvapes.com/

or
https://www.higgycigs.com/hccart/

Liquid from these place have always vaped really clean on my Atlantis coils.
Thank you! I'll have a look and see if I can find some UK stockists! Much appreciated!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
To be honest, and I did just this, I would find a tank with a rebuildable coil head or something like IJOY RDTA Combo V2. That way you only need to order a spool of wire and bag of organic cotton balls (or cotton bacon, etc). To compare.. estimating coils at $2.99 each vs $6 or less for 30 feet of wire *aprox 36 coils worth*.. My cotton balls cost $3.29 for 100. So at least 3 month supply.
Making a coil is easy. Wrap a wire around a 2.25mm screwdriver, then screw it onto the base. Your SO can likely do that, considering men get their first set of tools around age 2. (Remember, plastic hammer, screw driver, block of wood with plastic pegs to hammer in... dads forehead when he is napping past lunch time...
Some people are hesitant about coil building at first. After your 2nd coil you wonder why you didn't do it sooner and save a S-ton of money. lol

Your SO can likely do that, considering men get their first set of tools around age 2. (Remember, plastic hammer, screw driver, block of wood with plastic pegs to hammer in... dads forehead when he is napping past lunch time...
Some people are hesitant about coil building at first.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to manage that myself if I wanted to :) I wouldn't need a man to do it for me lol but yeah... thanks.

Maybe eventually I'll go down the buildable route, but right now I'll stick with what's easiest for me.

Thanks though.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to manage that myself if I wanted to :) I wouldn't need a man to do it for me lol but yeah... thanks.

Maybe eventually I'll go down the buildable route, but right now I'll stick with what's easiest for me.

Thanks though.
Why manage yourself if you can sucker your mister into doing it? I usually either wrap my own wire or... buy prewrapped by the spool., 2x28g wrapped in 34ga is decent and cheap.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I would say possibly, the coils are designed to be run at the wattage specified, and I've heard about that myself, although the data I've been able to gather is conflicting. Some employees say it will burn out the coils, others say you should be fine since you're vaping below optimal wattage. It's really confusing to me as well, and I would also like a definite answer on that.

My mom used to have that problem in the past. What seems to have worked for her is she will prime the coil with like a couple drops of juice - not too much. Then she will dry-hit the tank (that means drawing from the device without pressing the fire button) a few times, then gradually ramp up the wattage the way she likes it before firing steady. Try that with a new coil before writing the package off as a dud.

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If your wattage is too low and the coil doesn't properly ramp up to evenly distribute the heat the cotton can burn where the coils are trying to build heat on the ends... especially if your holding the fire button to try to draw vapor.... when I first started vaping/building my own coils with a limitless rdta I constantly underpowered my coils in fear of exploding batteries.... yes I fell for the hype. After much trial, error, and alot of wasted cotton I researched ohms law to learn the limits of my coils vs my batteries so I could safely determine what my real max wattage was. Needless to say it was far higher than what I was trying to vape at. Ramped up to 60w to 80w and had no more burnt cotton issues. This was quite awhile ago so I dont exactly remember the coil build I was using but I do remember I was only pushing 30 to 35w and switching to 60w to 80w took care of the issue. Currently I vape at 40w with a .1 ohm coil. The issue is more than likely your juice as others have stated though. Hopefully you get it figured out.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For your juice you might consider a 50/50 blend, or even 70/30.

This means it will be either 50% PG/VG, or 70% PG & 30% VG respectively. VG (vegetable glycerin) is a lot more sugary than PG (propylene glycol). So, if your juice is "gumming" your coils and causing burnt taste you probably want more PG to "thin" your juice down. PG is also a better carrier of flavorings.

Please do not use any oil soluble based flavorings, only water soluble ones, nor any oil based flavorings. Oil isn't something we consider GRAS (generally recognized as safe) to use in vaping. Yes, water can drown you but not in the limited quantity used in vaping. After a year of vaping your lungs might exhibit enough moisture as you having had a shower.

UncleNoNo

Member For 1 Year
@watson123 and @f1r3b1rd make a good point about the juice

I use Aspire Atlantis coils and get a good 50 - 60 mls through it before the taste gets wonky.
When I did have a problem, it was usually a new juice I was trying.

Try some
https://verdevalleyvapes.com/

or
https://www.higgycigs.com/hccart/

Liquid from these place have always vaped really clean on my Atlantis coils.
If you need atlantis coils ivapesupply has atom gclap coils for $1.30 a 4 pack. Use coupon ivs30 and it brings em down to 91¢

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Not sure how thick the juice is Vickyy however it could be a wicking speed issue, were you finding the juice was wicking ok at that wattage or getting toward dry hits?

if so try pinning the cotton ...take a pin and start with a single pin hole in each of the cotton sections roughly centre, on the old smok beast tanks I used to pin each of cotton sections 3 Times to keep up with wicking with the thicker juice but it I was vaping at a higher wattage back then

Do this when cotton is dry

when it comes to priming I used to soak my coil up and wrap it in cling film when my other coil was getting towards end of life ....gave it time to properly soak it all up before I started using it, then do as you did start lower and wait for bubbles before pushing wattage up

if you are after lower wattages though consider a different tank on top ...really that one needs more wattage most of them have between ranges and I’m pretty sure you are at the lowest end or under for it....a sub ohm tank like the cobra was good for 50w smaller coil heads in it, but it’s probably out of stock everywhere now, best bet is to search for “50w sub ohm tanks”

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to soak my coil up and wrap it in cling film when my other coil was getting towards end of life ....gave it time to properly soak it all up before I started using it, then do as you did start lower and wait for bubbles before pushing wattage up

<joking>
Well piss! That's probably as good as vaping a Tide Pod, Never would have thought about saran wrapping a coil and vaping on it.
</joking>

This does sound like a good idea as long as idiots realize you remove the cling wrap before vaping.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
<joking>
Well piss! That's probably as good as vaping a Tide Pod, Never would have thought about saran wrapping a coil and vaping on it.
</joking>

This does sound like a good idea as long as idiots realize you remove the cling wrap before vaping.

yeah that goes without saying ?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
the thing said earlier

VU Sponsors