Become a Patron!

Faulty ohm reader on mod, still safe to use?

I purchased a Kanger TopBox Mini Starter Kit for using when I'm out and about. My RX 2/3 is a bit bulky and my ego pens just aren't satisfying any more after going sub-ohm.

The mod arrived faulty, it reads every coil at 0.31ohms. Tried different tanks and coils etc. and cleaning the 510 connection but it's still the same.

I had to open a PayPal dispute to get a refund from the company I bought it from, and because the company didn't respond PayPal have refunded my money in full without me needing to return the device. So now I have a free tank (which works fine) and a free faulty mod.

My question is am I still ok to use the mod? It seems the ohm reading doesn't affect the output, it outputs the same volts on my dripper at 65w as my RX 2/3. I have a ohm reader for building on so I always test any coils on that before using them.

s7m8a1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That stinks. If it were me, I wouldn't use it. You may be ok to use it in power mode and know amp draw limits won't be exceeding battery rating. I'll let those truly in the know chime in on that though. I look at it like this. If I pay good money on a Fluke meter and it doesn't work correctly, I won't use it unless it's fixed or replaced. Safety is key.

If it's authentic, you could try dealing with Kanger directly. Shoot for a replacement. Or shelve the faulty mod and buy another mod.

Two cents from the new guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since it's not reading the right resistance it's not going to adjust the voltage correctly in VW mode so I suggest switching to VV mode and adjust it yourself.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since it's not reading the right resistance it's not going to adjust the voltage correctly in VW mode so I suggest switching to VV mode and adjust it yourself.
Same here if the meter us not working them TC and VW modes are questionable.. if you have a bypass mode and VV modes they should still work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! Just had an idea, I could use the RBA deck and build the coils to around 0.31 ohms. Might be a pain to get them right every time though.

I'm not sure it has VV mode.

s7m8a1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Specs don't show VV as a mode. Only VW and TC. I don't for sure having not owned one. Like I said, I personally wouldn't use it. Technically you could build for that resistance. I guess it comes down to one question. Do you trust the defective mod to safely do it's job?
I do hope you get another for your purpose. The RX is kinda big for sure. But I have small hands which is why I can't eat at Burger King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't have VV then the way to use VW without the mod being able to check resistance is to do the calculations for it.
Lets say you want to run you mod at 32W with a 0.5 ohm coil
[email protected] = 4V
To reach 4V at 0.31 ohm you would need set it to 51.6W

TBH I don't see it worth the trouble (and risk in case something else is wrong).
You got your money back, so use it to get another properly working mod.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is why all vapers that build coils NEED a stand alone ohm meter.....

How do you diagnose a Vaping problem.. using the very meter that could be the problem? The meter on the mod is for the MOD to use. It is just informational for the vaper. Kinda like the idiot light and gauges of a car. Not intended for actual diagnostic use.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't think I'd use it just in case. I'd open it up and see if something is shorting inside around the 510. Dose it read 3.1Ω without the Atty on or just with it on the mod. You got a refund so you could buy another one and see if Kanger will warranty the bad one. Hay it was free even if you trash it your not out anything.

VU Sponsors