Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wanna hear your favorite coil builds. I wanna know:
Why you like them,
Vapor production,
Flavor,
And is it a hot or cold vape.

Mine is a standard dual 5 wrap, 24 gauge kanthal.
Vp is good enough for me, good clouds IMO, flavor is on point in a generally new build and it's a warmish vape.
Your turn!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do not have any favorite builds because as it's been said a thousand times before most are convinced fancy coils perform no better than the simplest most basic ones.

The only change is changing wire gauges and ohm's but after extensive experience with every coil design i could think of , i see zero advantage to building anything other than a simple single or double.

Depending on topper , i stick to 28 gauge singles in the 1.2- 1.8 ohm range and prefer 20 watts or less.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ive been vaping standard coils (singles and doubles) for years. my biggest move was going to a micro-coil lol. ive since gone macro comprssed coils, but thats about it. oh and ive done dome dragon style wicking, but that really doesnt change the coil itself.

i am tempted however to build some clapton coils or twisted wire coils. i like the idea behind them that they would trap more juice in the added grooves, perhaps increasing flavor and or vapor. plus they just look cool. but like you say, VH, im fully prepared for them to not give me any dramatic change. but hey i figure its worth a shot.

oh, and i might as well share my current fav build. dual 26g nichrome 2mm ID vertical coils 0.3Ω net resistance in my origen dripper. OooWee!

Last edited:

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dual coils: 12 wraps of 28ga around a 2mm mandrel for 0.8 ohms, wicked with cotton.

I prefer working with 26 or so but it's just too hard to fit on my Fogger v4.1 and still get enough resistance.

I always try to go with the tried and true 2 26G 5/6 wrap. It's easy as hell to just make a near perfect build with even burning and vaping. I like to shoot for .35-.40, as it's not too hot, but still gives a nice little hit. If I'm out of 26G I usually try to do a 28G 5/6 wrap!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
22g micros wrapped to .17ohms (dual)
Wicked with MINIMAL Japanese cotton
Simple tried and true coil that offers perfect surface area when wound correctly.
I like a vape that is so hot that I'm reminded why my drip tips are pyrex or wood.
Intense bordering on oppressive flavour production, and suitable clouds when taking it into consideration that vapour production is about amps and airflow and not coil design or gauge.
This build is seen in my drippers and Orchids

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm boring - dual 24g with a 5/6 wrap, around 0.3-0.4 ohm. Might go to 22g and drop the resistance a bit at some point, but vapor and flavor are both right about where I want them (lots of both), and I can barely fat-finger a simple build onto an Atty with dual negative posts as it is. No fancy wrappings or anything here...

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
When i went from a Vamo V5 and a simple Kanger tank to an ipv and dripper i began a journey of coil building. Researching thoroughly online, watching tutorials, and checking out tons of Instagram pics i was inspired (esp by TwistedMesses)... and so i got started in the 'art' of coil building.
I wanted to move beyond the simple single wire coils (single and dual) to see if could find something with better flavor and more vapor.

Lately I have been using mainly ZIPPER coils (6 strands of 28g, 3 twisted one direction and 3 twisted the other and then wrapped parallel 5x around a 2.4mm) and/or fused CLAPTON coils (ie...two strands of 22g nichrome wrapped with either 32g kathal or ribbon wire then wrapped 5 or 6x around 2.4mm screwdriver). I find it fun to mix up different types of wire and gauges and aim for .2 ohm builds for my ipv3. I am in love (this week) with my DarkHorse. pefect combination of flavor and cloud.

Yesterday for "fun" i built an OCTACOIL (yes, 8 micro coils) on my 28.5mm Tobh. Hard to do and super tough to wick but at least i pulled it off. Truthfully it didn't vape well but at least i can say i did it.

I have found rayon cellucotton to wick amazingly well and easy to work with (esp with sub ohm set ups). I also use Japanese cotton.

VU Sponsors