Become a Patron!

Final DIY Prep Checklist and Follow-up Questions

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
Hello All -
New DIYer here. I've been busy this month and was able to get most of the stuff I'm going to need to keep me stocked well into the future. For background, I plan mix by weight, although I do have some items on my list to let me mix by volume if I'd like. Below is my list of supplies, and a few tactical questions below:

• Chest Freezer
  • Freebase nicotine 100mg/ml (100% PG base) - 2 gallons from LNW
  • DIY Kit from River Supply (contains 500ml of PG and 500ml of VG, graduated cylinder, syringes, pipettes, funnel, empty bottles and gloves)
  • 500ml of additional VG (I figure I'll buy more PG and VG as needed since it should still be available)
  • 20ct 60ml amber glass bottles w/dripper caps
  • 128ct 120ml amber glass bottles w/polycone caps from Glass Bottle Outlet
  • 0.01g Mini Scale at Amazon
  • Several bottles of one-shot flavoring from FlavorJungle (plan to buy individual flavors for mixing later, but thought to start the one-shot route first)
  • ART Argon Wine Saver at Amazon
  • White electrical tape to add an extra seal around caps of the amber bottles

So, my nicotine and 120ml amber bottles arrived this week, but I haven't broken the nic yet into them. Nic is currently in the freezer in the original gallon plastic jugs. For I do break them down, I have a few questions.
  • Good idea to wash wash the 120ml bottles in the diswasher before using? What about the polycone caps? I've heard that water can get underneath the polycone part of the cap and cause other issues.
  • Good idea to shake up the nicotine before breaking down?
  • When I fill up the 120ml glass bottles, how much space should I leave from the top? I've heard that many folks stop right around where the straight part of the bottle forms at the neck. That being said, I'm not sure that assumed the nic was at room temperature whereas mine will already be condensed a bit from being in the freezer.

A few more random questions:
  • Any recommendations on a way to test nicotine levels in a base or in completed eliquid? I'd like to do a test of the nicotine level now vs. when I pull it out of the freezer over time.
  • Any recommendations on a smart thermometer that can send me a text alert if the temperature of the freezer drops below a certain level?
  • Anything I'm missing in the list above or techniques I should be using that most newbies wouldn't know?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Good idea to wash wash the 120ml bottles in the diswasher before using? What about the polycone caps? I've heard that water can get underneath the polycone part of the cap and cause other issues.

Sterlize.. I use just a big pot of water, boiling.. and I drop a bottle in.. time 2 min.. pull out and place on a soft clean towel to dry.. I do have racks, look for a baby bottle rack.. helps dry even faster.. As for the caps, it is up to you. I use hard plastic caps and a top sealer that came with mine many years ago..

Good idea to shake up the nicotine before breaking down?

Always shake your nic, flavors and juice before using, rebottling etc..

When I fill up the 120ml glass bottles, how much space should I leave from the top? I've heard that many folks stop right around where the straight part of the bottle forms at the neck. That being said, I'm not sure that assumed the nic was at room temperature whereas mine will already be condensed a bit from being in the freezer.

I leave a little under a half inch, but since you already picked this up

ART Argon Wine Saver at Amazon

Up to you now, as to how much you want to add to your bottles.

Any recommendations on a way to test nicotine levels in a base or in completed eliquid? I'd like to do a test of the nicotine level now vs. when I pull it out of the freezer over time.

Any recommendations on a smart thermometer that can send me a text alert if the temperature of the freezer drops below a certain level?

Do a search on either ELR or Vaping Community dot co dot uk for long term/time nic and you should find my vape bro, SessionsDrummer talking about this.

Anything I'm missing in the list above or techniques I should be using that most newbies wouldn't know?

Not really.. a good strong hand to shake the heck out of your supplies.. a working tongue to taste your flavors, remembering to work on solo flavors and to always take notes.. nopes.. work it!! :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hi @MrNiceVape
Always bring nic to room temperature before you open the bottle. Can allow unwanted moisture to get in otherwise. Always shake it once it gets there before use too. Check your water you use to wash things by letting a wet glass air dry by itself. If you see white residues then rinse with distilled and let dry.
Our water here if I let a glass air dry shows lots of white spotty residues, our water gets a bit of treatment and whatever is in it I dont want to vape. Ours for sure amongst other things has chlorine. Actually I dont even drink it. :giggle:
Good luck. đź‘Ť

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
Sterlize.. I use just a big pot of water, boiling.. and I drop a bottle in.. time 2 min.. pull out and place on a soft clean towel to dry.. I do have racks, look for a baby bottle rack.. helps dry even faster.. As for the caps, it is up to you. I use hard plastic caps and a top sealer that came with mine many years ago..

Always shake your nic, flavors and juice before using, rebottling etc..

I leave a little under a half inch, but since you already picked this up

Up to you now, as to how much you want to add to your bottles.

Do a search on either ELR or Vaping Community dot co dot uk for long term/time nic and you should find my vape bro, SessionsDrummer talking about this.

Not really.. a good strong hand to shake the heck out of your supplies.. a working tongue to taste your flavors, remembering to work on solo flavors and to always take notes.. nopes.. work it!! :)
Thanks @Smoky Blue . I like the tip of dropping in boiling water for 2 mins. When you are filling to a little under a half inch, is that with your nicotine at room temp or just out of the freezer?

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
Hi @MrNiceVape
Always bring nic to room temperature before you open the bottle. Can allow unwanted moisture to get in otherwise. Always shake it once it gets there before use too. Check your water you use to wash things by letting a wet glass air dry by itself. If you see white residues then rinse with distilled and let dry.
Our water here if I let a glass air dry shows lots of white spotty residues, our water gets a bit of treatment and whatever is in it I dont want to vape. Ours for sure amongst other things has chlorine. Actually I dont even drink it. :giggle:
Good luck. đź‘Ť
@Smigo -
That's right, I forgot about the condensation risk of opening a bottle from the freezer before being brought to room temp. When I'm ready to break down the bottles, how much time should I have it out of the freezer to get to the temp want to be at?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @Smoky Blue . I like the tip of dropping in boiling water for 2 mins. When you are filling to a little under a half inch, is that with your nicotine at room temp or just out of the freezer?

When I needed nic, I used to buy a liter, on up to a gallon in nicotine.. I would rebottle it as soon as it came in.

Honesty.. I have a liter of reg nic and a little under a liter of nic salts right now.. and they are all packed in 4oz amber boston rounds.. I also wrap each one in tin foil and then they go into a zip lock. I rarely vape nic juice now.. but I do keep some nic salt ejuice around at 12mg, and 6mg, for when I feel like I really need nic.. mainly for a good case of nerves or stress.. Once my nic is gone.. it's gone and I won't have any regrets.. It did take me time to get to where I am at.. but I am comfy with zero nic vaping.. it's mainly what I vape now.

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
Another question about my nic just received today from LNW. I got 2 gallons and they were wrapped in a thick plastic bag zip-tied on top. I noticed a small amount of clear liquid in that plastic bag. It was maybe 1/8th of an inch, none of it got outside of the bag. Either there is a small leak or maybe some ice that thawed on the outside of the containers. Anyone run into anything like this with nic purchases from them? I really don't want to return it at this point since it would probably by difficult to get a replacement now that PACT is in place.

For now I just have the whole bag with both gallons in the freezer.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@Smigo -
That's right, I forgot about the condensation risk of opening a bottle from the freezer before being brought to room temp. When I'm ready to break down the bottles, how much time should I have it out of the freezer to get to the temp want to be at?
I usually speed it up a bit. I never heat it or put it in warm water. I just use 50 ml bottles so its easy to do. I just hold it in my hand for several minutes bit of a shake now n then, then put it down on the table for about an hour. My Vg and Pg that I keep on hand in my cupboard are my gauge. I wait till by feel the nic feels the same temperature. Nothing precise about how I do it just so long as its not cold and near feels the same then a bit more of a shake and use.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
For now I just have the whole bag with both gallons in the freezer.

If you want.. totally up to you.. :) but this is what I would do with it.

I would break it all down into 500ml bottles, even better, 4oz bottles.
If you can not do both gallons.. freeze one, then focus on the first gallon and break it down.

Now.. if you can not break either down.. don't freeze them just yet.. go get your bottles squared away.. the gallons should be fine for a week to 2 weeks. Store in a dark cool spot... if you do not have one.. just cover it with a towel and keep it in a semi-cool location in your house. No fridge or freezer

For a tiny bit of liquid inside the bag for both gallons.. This is why you wear gloves.. assume it is nic. don't play with it. wipe down the gallons each with a rag dipped in rubbing alcohol.. they will be fine. I don't think your gallons are leaking and it's not a big thing to deal with.. No need in trying to send it back to them, you will be beyond the limit and they won't be able to do another send out.

You will be fine.. Promise!

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@Smoky Blue
this is pretty cool.
have used such type tech. for titrets of wine an ph of soil,
yet it's neat to find you can do the same concept for nic.
-------------

Basic Nicotine Test Kit for determining Nicotine content in 1ml to 3ml samples of nicotine solutions.

Basic Nicotine Test Kit contents:
(2) - 3ml syringes
(1) - 14 gauge blunt tip needle for VG solutions
(1) - 16 gauge blunt tip needle for PG solutions
(1) - 20 gauge blunt tip needle for hydrochloric acid titrant
(1) - 10ml (.34 oz) bottle of bromothymol blue pH indicator
(1) - 120ml (4 oz) bottle of 0.1N analytical reagent grade hydrochloric acid
(1) - 8 oz white cup with lid
(2) - pairs of nitrile gloves
(1) - Instruction Sheet

Note: The chemical reagent in this test kit differs from other nicotine test kits on the market by using AR grade 0.1N Hydrochloric Acid for increased accuracy instead of the more commonly available 0.12N acid in pool supply test kits. This test kit can also be used with storebought 0.12N acid as a substitute, but in the step below for determining total nicotine content, you will need to multiply the final amount of acid used during titration by 19.471 instead of 16.223 to find the total amount of nicotine present.

INSTRUCTIONS

Rinse 8 oz white mixing cup and syringes well with distilled water. Expel all distilled water from syringes and needles.

2. Use one 3ml syringe with 16g (purple) or 14g (green) needle to accurately measure exactly 1ml, 2ml, or 3ml sample of nicotine solution to be tested, and dispense into mixing cup.

3. Add approximately 15ml to 20ml of distilled water to mixing cup, 6-8 drops of Bromothymol Blue pH indicator, and swirl to combine.

4. Use the second 3ml syringe with 20g (yellow) needle to accurately measure exactly 3ml of 0.1N Hydrochloric Acid.

5. Begin adding acid in small amounts to mixing cup and swirling until solution starts to turn green to greenish-yellow. This indicates you are nearing the endpoint of your titration.

testtubes_ph_range.jpg

6. Reduce the amount of acid being added to single drops, swirling after each drop until the solution turns from a pale greenish-yellow to all yellow.
Stop.
You have reached the endpoint of your test.
(If the color of the solution becomes hard to discern during titration, add a couple more drops of Bromothymol Blue pH indicator.)

7. Record the amount of acid used.

DETERMINING TEST RESULTS

Each 1ml of 0.1N Hydrochloric Acid used during titration will neutralize approximately 16.2mg of nicotine. To find the total amount of nicotine present in your sample, multiply the amount of acid used by 16.223

Divide the total amount of nicotine from above by the sample size to determine the nicotine concentration in mg/ml.
If starting with a 1ml sample of solution, divide total amount of nicotine by 1.
If starting with a 2ml sample of solution, divide by 2.
If starting with a 3ml sample of solution, divide by 3.

Example:

A 2ml sample of nicotine solution was added to the mixing cup.
During titration, 2.9ml of 0.1N acid was used to reach the yellow endpoint.
Multiply 2.9 by 16.223, this gives us a total nicotine content of 47.05 (rounded)
Dividing 47.05 by the 2ml starting sample size gives us a final test result of 23.5mg/ml (rounded)

Simple Calculator for 0.1N Hydrochloric Acids

------------------
I have no need for it.... cuz am just going to be glad there is still Nic in the freezer.
and thank heavens i have a good freezer.

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I dont need it either.. I know down to the grams how much nic I need and at what level..
All by weight.. I am golden.. I might save back a 4oz for just in case.. but I am pretty much done with nic as it is.. :) I vape for the fun of the clouds now.. and the taste.. is just so damn good! :D

VU Sponsors