Become a Patron!

Flavor Chasing RDA/RTA?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and hope that you guys can offer me your 2 cents worth. I have been vaping for about 3 months now on the Uwell Crown with a RX 2/3 mod. I really like the flavor and air flow on the Crown using the 0.25 ohm coils but they are pretty expensive and they dont last very long. Last week, I bought my first RDA, Mutation X V5, which was recommended by the guy at my local vape shop. I am running dual pre-built 24/28GA 0.32mm caterpillar claptons reading at about 0.2 to 0.3 ohms on the postless deck but cant seem to be getting as much flavor as my Crown (i used 70vg/30pg juice for both). I found myself vaping exclusively on the Crown.

I am looking to get a new RDA/RTA mainly for flavor chasing. (decent and dense clouds would be a plus point). I am open to both single or dual coil builds and wouldnt mind building coils myself or buying prebuilts. I have narrowed down my search to these few choices after spending days looking at reviews online: Serpent Mini 22mm (which i am leaning heavily towards), Griffin 25mm, Pharaoh (I heard it only excels with massive builds), Goon (either 22mm or 24mm), Tsunami 22mm (i heard the 24mm is better), and Sapor. Those that i mentioned are available at my local vape shop, which is where I'm probably going to get them as I feel that the age verification process online is a little sketchy. I am open to your suggestions and recommendations as well.

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm a flavor chaser myself. I've done quite a few reviews on what I consider flavor tanks and RDA's. Here ya go:

Twisted messes Cubed
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/twisted-messes-cubed-review-by-deucesjack.299966/

Bachelor Nano
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/bachelor-nano-review-by-deucesjack.300643/

Merlin Mini
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/merlin-mini-review-by-deucesjack.297863/

Ehpro Big Bear
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/the-ehpro-big-bear-review-by-deucesjack.300225/

Oumier White Bone Mini
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/oumier-white-bone-mini-rta-review-by-deucesjack.298264/

Serpent Mini
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wotofo-serpent-mini-review.294139/

Mage GTA
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/coilart-mage-gta-review.293299/

Next up for review should be the Geekvape Ammit, Cthulhu MTL, and the Bombertech Pindad. Also, keep a look out for the Bellus 25 coming soon. I'm beta testing it now and the flavor is fantastic.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and hope that you guys can offer me your 2 cents worth. I have been vaping for about 3 months now on the Uwell Crown with a RX 2/3 mod. I really like the flavor and air flow on the Crown using the 0.25 ohm coils but they are pretty expensive and they dont last very long. Last week, I bought my first RDA, Mutation X V5, which was recommended by the guy at my local vape shop. I am running dual pre-built 24/28GA 0.32mm caterpillar claptons reading at about 0.2 to 0.3 ohms on the postless deck but cant seem to be getting as much flavor as my Crown (i used 70vg/30pg juice for both). I found myself vaping exclusively on the Crown.

I am looking to get a new RDA/RTA mainly for flavor chasing. (decent and dense clouds would be a plus point). I am open to both single or dual coil builds and wouldnt mind building coils myself or buying prebuilts. I have narrowed down my search to these few choices after spending days looking at reviews online: Serpent Mini 22mm (which i am leaning heavily towards), Griffin 25mm, Pharaoh (I heard it only excels with massive builds), Goon (either 22mm or 24mm), Tsunami 22mm (i heard the 24mm is better), and Sapor. Those that i mentioned are available at my local vape shop, which is where I'm probably going to get them as I feel that the age verification process online is a little sketchy. I am open to your suggestions and recommendations as well.

I've got lots of experience with a few you listed.

1) Serpent Mini - don't have one but i'm sure deuscesjack will help you out
2) Griffin 25 (plus) - if you are talking about the Plus it's a fantastic tank. I have a full review and wick tutorial on it being posted to my channel tomorrow on youtube
3) Pharaoh - my favorite flavor atomizer of them all. does need a semi big build but not massive by any means but small builds won't work well. can be done in single coil or dual coil config pretty easily. I need to do a review on it still. very easy to build on only negatives is it only holds 2ml of juice
4) Goon - good flavor but IMO overrated by many. not as good as the pharaoh and hold less juice too. it's a nice cloud chucker though. Build deck is good but for beginners could be annoying to build on
5) Tsunami - i have the 24 and it was my favorite until i got a pharaoh. it's still top 5 for me. the 22 will be better for small builds 24 for bigger builds but both are good RDAs for sure
6) Sapor - no experience with this personally

Other good options
RTA (dual coil)
Boreas, Aromamizer Supreme,

RDA
Hatty
Gear

Single coil RTA
Alpha One

(my channel also has reviews for the Alpha one, and the aromamzier supreme, and a best of 2016 video)

hope that helps! let me know if you have more questions

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Of those you listed , the serpent mini and the goons are the best choices hands down. Both are VERY different . The serpent mini is single coil flavor machine and the goons are a builders corner capable of huge crazy builds, but also goons give great flavor . Now for the 22 vs the 24, it's honestly a matter of personal preference and looks on your mod. Some mods can't handle the 24mm overhang , but the rx2/3 will handle it fine . The 22 has slightly better flavor with a slightly smaller build deck. The deck is not restricted by any means though.. I'd say grab both and you won't regret it as one is an RTA and one is a rda , you'll have uses fir both !

Syrath

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's the Apocolypse RDA a bit expensive compared to the Goon but it's awesome looking and offers great flavor and clouds. Plus American made if your into that. They now offer the ability to purchase additional caps and drip tips.

I know SirRichard loves his Pharaoh but I didn't love it. It was the 1st RDA I bought, I didn't like the dual coil design personally.
Watch some YouTube reviews and get a feel for what people think and see where you fit in.

Attachments

• 1485483290030-1946092096.jpg
    1485483290030-1946092096.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 95

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
There's the Apocolypse RDA a bit expensive compared to the Goon but it's awesome looking and offers great flavor and clouds. Plus American made if your into that. They now offer the ability to purchase additional caps and drip tips.

I know SirRichard loves his Pharaoh but I didn't love it. It was the 1st RDA I bought, I didn't like the dual coil design personally.
Watch some YouTube reviews and get a feel for what people think and see where you fit in.
Different strokes for different folks! That's what's great about vaping. Something for everyone ;)

That's a nice looking rda for sure but if op wants something similar that's cheaper there is the digiflavor lynx or the chutulu shuriken.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Goon (either 22mm or 24mm), Tsunami 22mm (i heard the 24mm is better), and Sapor.

I have these three:

Goon is my hands down favorite of the three, just for versatility and a great atty to grow into. Can do crazy massive builds or single high ohm - it will handle it. Lots of airflow options too.

Saper is a kicky little dripper for very little money - flavor is pretty good for a top-air flow only

I do not have the Tsunami 22, but I did have the 24. It is fine if you like a very airy vape (I do not) it is also prone to bottom leaking due to the air channels. I traded mine recently

RMVapes28

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nobody mentioned the DotMod Petri rta. I have the griffin and tsunami. Both good tanks. I ordered the petri the other day and put a dual clapton 26/30 on and the flavor I'm getting surpasses every rta and rda I have ever used. Even with a 26 gauge dual kanthal the flavor is killer. It produces great vapor and the postless deck with bottom airflow is the smoothest rta I've ever used. It's my personal favorite.
This is just my opinion and everyone has one.
Good luck on your search.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Nobody mentioned the DotMod Petri rta. I have the griffin and tsunami. Both good tanks. I ordered the petri the other day and put a dual clapton 26/30 on and the flavor I'm getting surpasses every rta and rda I have ever used. Even with a 26 gauge dual kanthal the flavor is killer. It produces great vapor and the postless deck with bottom airflow is the smoothest rta I've ever used. It's my personal favorite.
This is just my opinion and everyone has one.
Good luck on your search.

The Petri RTA is indeed an amazing little flavor chaser - I have two from Purecoils

Pluses: Top notch flavor, easy to fill, almost leak proof when properly built and filled

Minues: Only two mls, and its thirsty, lol. You have to take it apart to rebuild or pulse the coils, including removing the center pin. Very fidgety for a newbie.

Didn't mention it because he wanted to get it at his B&M and stuck to his list of what is available :)

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I use the TM squared , Recoil, Tsunami 22 , and a few others but for the best flavor ( imho) is my Hadaly single coiler,
Small only a 22 mm but packs a flavor punch,, I love this one ,,,so far,.
But it's all subjective , what's good for one may be crap for another.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the TM squared , Recoil, Tsunami 22 , and a few others but for the best flavor ( imho) is my Hadaly single coiler,
Small only a 22 mm but packs a flavor punch,, I love this one ,,,so far,.
But it's all subjective , what's good for one may be crap for another.
Hadaly is a flavor machine indeed ! Kinda on the pricey side, but hands down the best single coil rda out there for flavor !

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My go to's In order of favorite RDA for flavor:

Hadlay
NaRda(on reo)
Petri(both bf and regular)
Recoil RDA
Kennedy (gremlin cap)
Aeolus v2
Hobo v3
Tugboat v2
Goon (24&22)
Mako

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I still have a Marquis as a flavor RDA...sometimes old school has its place forever:cool:
That is a killer flavor RDA! I sold mine like a dumbdumb :(

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have to find the building rods it came with:facepalm:
I may still have mine. I'll check later tonight if I see them I'll shoot you a PM.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
These youngins' like "what the hell is a Marquis?":giggle:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I may still have mine. I'll check later tonight if I see them I'll shoot you a PM.

Give me time to find mine..If I cant find them ill certainly make it worth your efforts to send them to me.:shades:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Give me time to find mine..If I cant find them ill certainly make it worth your efforts to send them to me.:shades:
Roger that

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I forgot to mention the Wotofo Freakshow rda. The original 22mm (not the mini). This is to this day, my go-to flavor chaser rda that i pop out whenever i want to taste a new juice, or am in the mood for a warm, dense, flavorful vape. Oh, and with the airflow wide open, this thing can CHUCK the clouds as well....close it off about halfway and less and youre in flavor mode. Sure, it is an older guy, but is insanely cheap, amd has MANY Pros, including: it has an extremely reduced chamber with a conical top cap, has dual or single coil airflow options, THICK outer barrel, perfect o-ring tolerances for barrel and top cap, 510 drip tip capable, it has an easy to build on deck, bottom airflow that is super smooth across the board, full open to almost closed. A few subjective cons (which are the only type of cons that exist): it doesnt come packaged with a drip tip, the build deck is not HUGE, (still fits 3mm fused calptons fine), 3 post build deck (requires builds to be centered over bottom airflow), will leak out the bottom airflow ONLY if you over drip.

This was my first ever rda, and I still to this day use him on an almost daily basis simply because the flavor is THAT good. Better than most all of my other RDAs. Wotofo makes a great product, and cheap in price too! The freakshow v2 is now a thing yes, a larger, much more airy rda, but the flavor just isn't what the original chucks! Not many people know about this old guy, or wrote it off for one reason or another , but it's not something to be overlooked.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I forgot to mention the Wotofo Freakshow rda. The original 22mm (not the mini). This is to this day, my go-to flavor chaser rda that i pop out whenever i want to taste a new juice, or am in the mood for a warm, dense, flavorful vape. Oh, and with the airflow wide open, this thing can CHUCK the clouds as well....close it off about halfway and less and youre in flavor mode. Sure, it is an older guy, but is insanely cheap, amd has MANY Pros, including: it has an extremely reduced chamber with a conical top cap, has dual or single coil airflow options, THICK outer barrel, perfect o-ring tolerances for barrel and top cap, 510 drip tip capable, it has an easy to build on deck, bottom airflow that is super smooth across the board, full open to almost closed. A few subjective cons (which are the only type of cons that exist): it doesnt come packaged with a drip tip, the build deck is not HUGE, (still fits 3mm fused calptons fine), 3 post build deck (requires builds to be centered over bottom airflow), will leak out the bottom airflow ONLY if you over drip.

This was my first ever rda, and I still to this day use him on an almost daily basis simply because the flavor is THAT good. Better than most all of my other RDAs. Wotofo makes a great product, and cheap in price too! The freakshow v2 is now a thing yes, a larger, much more airy rda, but the flavor just isn't what the original chucks! Not many people know about this old guy, or wrote it off for one reason or another , but it's not something to be overlooked.
^^ agreed!
I have a few of them, and they are great!
Plenty of aftermarket accessories too, at least there were. I had 2 different style chuff caps for it.

DailyTrees

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I have the Mutation X V5 and in my opinion it's great. Although I run it in single coil mode with 1 alien coil. Comes out to about .45 Ohms and I run it around 40 watts. Great vapor production and great taste! @Doodlesaur

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
don't know if you made your purchase yet or not, but of those you listed I have the Goon 24, Griffin 25, and 22/24 tsunami. I feel kinda weird for saying this but I feel I get the best flavor from my tsunami 22mm. I think this is because it has bottom airflow. I have no trouble fitting alien variations and staples in it but there isn't too much room for wicking, plus if you over drip you will leak all over your mod. My goon has great flavor as well but its ''different'' to me in a way from the tsunami. I find different juices/builds taste better in one or the other. Just experiment, you'll find what you like.

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
don't know if you made your purchase yet or not, but of those you listed I have the Goon 24, Griffin 25, and 22/24 tsunami. I feel kinda weird for saying this but I feel I get the best flavor from my tsunami 22mm. I think this is because it has bottom airflow. I have no trouble fitting alien variations and staples in it but there isn't too much room for wicking, plus if you over drip you will leak all over your mod. My goon has great flavor as well but its ''different'' to me in a way from the tsunami. I find different juices/builds taste better in one or the other. Just experiment, you'll find what you like.

Yeah I get great flavor off my 22mm tsunami. My 3 best flavor rda's are hands down the csmnt, recoil and pharaoh. I was under the impression of big builds for pharao as well OP but tried dual 6wrap, 3.5mm claptons coming in at .5 and the flavor is unbelievably good. This is actually the highest ohm build I've ever built and thought the pharaoh was just for single coils but it handles medium-ish dual coils like a champion. One of, if not, the easiest atty I've built on

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I get great flavor off my 22mm tsunami. My 3 best flavor rda's are hands down the csmnt, recoil and pharaoh. I was under the impression of big builds for pharao as well OP but tried dual 6wrap, 3.5mm claptons coming in at .5 and the flavor is unbelievably good. This is actually the highest ohm build I've ever built and thought the pharaoh was just for single coils but it handles medium-ish dual coils like a champion. One of, if not, the easiest atty I've built on
Dual 3.5 mm 6 wrap clapton for the pharoah? Gotta try that. How many watts do you run it with?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual 3.5 mm 6 wrap clapton for the pharoah? Gotta try that. How many watts do you run it with?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was trying to upload a pic but no luck. I tried it at 72w but it was too cool so ended up around 84-88w and it was just getting warm and now I'm vaping it at 101w and it's perfect. This is the highest I've ever vaped on an rda but it's not even a hot vape on the pharaoh. I normally vape at 55-90w. I threw the claptons in real quick so I could vape it before work but I have some ss fused claptons from advanced vape supply that I want to try in it but my problem is they're too low of a build @ .1-.14 for duals, 3mm, 5/6 wraps and I think I'm gunna need them at 4 wraps to fit how I want. Ill try the 5 wraps later tonight and see how they fit. I really think some SS fused claptons, 3.5mm, 4/5 wraps is gunna be the bees knees with this atty

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I still use mine

I just picked up a used one finally to add back to my stash..Knowing a lot more now about coils/building, it should be a better experience than my first one with it.

Been looking for the Veritas also.:cool:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just picked up a used one finally to add back to my stash..Knowing a lot more now about coils/building, it should be a better experience than my first one with it.

Been looking for the Veritas also.:cool:
I had a veritas-. Damn good flavor RDA!

One word of caution:. Be careful when you build it. If you build below a 0.5 or put the leads to close to the top insulator the insulator will melt on you.

If you like that build style I would also say, look at the Marquis.
Both are great flavor rdas and stellar performers, but the Marquis can handle a lower build and more power.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My favorites RDAs
Tugboat V1.5
Petri V2
Manta V2
NaRda
Kennedy 24
NoFear

My favorite RTAs
Pico
Hurricane JR
Wotofo Troll
VCST
Sherman

You will notice I'm sure that I like toi vape both low and high. I have a few small mods I vape between 19-25 watts and then some dual battery mechs and regs I vape from 40 - 100. I really want to try the Voltrove. And the Scottua. When is up for trade I'll jump on it. I would trade a squonk for one, lol. Or another Sherman ...

Nychevy

Member For 4 Years

Hey there, if you don't mind a few days waiting you can order from FastTech. They have no age verification and you can get real authentic vape gear there, you can probably get 3 rta's for the price of one from the locals (i hate to say it but it's true) if you like clones they also have those and very reasonable price. I usually only get authentic stuff but I do have1 clone and it works great. Like I said the only draw back is the wait, my last order I only waited 10 days from order to mail box but it's usually around 14 to 20 days. If you do order try (map) for the coupon code sometimes you get a little discount. Btw I have never had to return or was displeased with anything I got from there. Good luck!!

dabeas99

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly most of your flavor will depend on other attributes besides your rda. What juice are you using, did you allow it to steep before using it. What type of cotton are you using; organic vs. premium. Premium often lasts longer but may not have as good of flavor. How is your wicking; tighter vs. looser. The tighter the wick the more flavor, but also the less efficient the wicking; don't try chain vaping with a super tight wick. The type of coil that you are using, i usually stay away from anything with ribbon wire. Its hard to beat a simple clapton considering they only take 3 min to make.

But, my favorite rda for flavor is anything with bottom air flow and a conical design. Those rdas with bottom air flow leak more they still offer more flavor. As for me my favorite rda that fits this criteria is the Lush Plus but, mostly because I'm a fan of the build deck.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I find that on an RDA with side airflow you just have to push the bottom part of each end of the wick tightly against the binding posts. Doing that will create a breathing space underneath the coil that exceeds the length of the coil itself so bottom airflow RDA vs. side airflow RDA makes no difference excepting that bottom airflow is more cumbersome if you overdrip or something gets caught in there. As far as ribbon wire goes... I find that staple staggered fused claptons give a lot more flavor than simple claptons. I'm still quite new to vaping, but I own both a black 25mm Troll RDA 2 and a black (authentic) 24mm Goon RDA equipped with a Half Moon drip tip (and that also makes my Goon taste better TBH).

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One of my favorite flavor RDA’S. Loving it.

http://vapingunderground.com/index.php?threads/313144/

97033de0ee29af2a10777923d6840e63.jpg

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.

-William Cowper

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Talk about old school. My favorite rd is without a doubt the patriot with the holes drilled out.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have these three:

Goon is my hands down favorite of the three, just for versatility and a great atty to grow into. Can do crazy massive builds or single high ohm - it will handle it. Lots of airflow options too.

Saper is a kicky little dripper for very little money - flavor is pretty good for a top-air flow only

I do not have the Tsunami 22, but I did have the 24. It is fine if you like a very airy vape (I do not) it is also prone to bottom leaking due to the air channels. I traded mine recently
Goon is TOP ! but I prefer this..... My Modfather crew...MY MODS 012small.JPG

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
about the best flavor RDA'S I own are
Darang
United Chaos

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

µDavid

Member For 3 Years
The best flavour tanks I have are the Serpent Mini, the Serpent Mini 25mm and the Siren.

The Serpent Mini is quite a tight air-flow, the Siren is even tighter but does give more flavour, but the Serpent Mini 25mm is my favourite as you can get almost mouth-to-lung if you want but also really good direct-lung too, while providing great flavour.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well The Freemax Resin tank has excellent flavor, but people tell me is ugly looking.......
290e01fd4d6ff3b24178d155bbb91731.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
But RTA still The Reload....
f111e58920a6280e4890d76adcd4ca2e.jpg

VU Sponsors