Become a Patron!

Flavorless RTAs

Hello guys, I have a problem, my RTAs are not as flavorful as my sub ohms.
My RTAs : Kylin mini v2, Kylin mesh, Hellvape Destiny, Wasp Nano, OFRF Gear,..... .
My Subs : PNP pod, Falcon King, Fireluke 2.
I have tried different coils, specially the fused Clapton ones, also I have been using good cottons like Cotton bacon prime or Vapefly Firebolt and also Cotton Threads, the juices are the same as I use for sub ohm tanks, when I use that juice in subs, the flavor is great, but building an RTA , the same juice wouldn't be as flavorful as the sub.
Now, the question is, do subs produce better flavors or the problem is my build, though I have no spit back or dry hit with my builds.
I would be grateful for your time and responses. Thanks.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You might also try adjusting the airflow.
When building, coil position can affect flavor a lot. Maybe try raising or lowering it.

It's hard to beat Fireluke or Falcon drop-in coils for flavor. If that's your bar, it's a high one. Good luck.

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check coil placement, make sure to check its placement in relation to the airflow - that makes a big difference in the flavor.
What resistance are you using and what do you prefer? What material is the coil made of and what is your mod wattage/voltage? Youi probably know your tanks pretty well and the Kylin dual coil RTAs worked well (for me) at higher wattages than the mini. Man I sure did want the new Kylin Mini II RTA when it came out, never did end up buying it....

But that is irrelevant to your issue!

There are some GREAT new coil heads as another member pointed out, subohm tanks have come such a long way. Take the mesh coil heads, very good flavor but I don't relish the price tag associated with its replacement every 1-2 weeks. You can determine whether its worth it to you.

Have you watched any build tutorials or read reviews for your tanks? If so, try branching out and reading/watching some different ones, other than those you already know by memory.
Whatever you decide, keep trying! Those are very nice tanks. Maybe you should do some research and find a tank that visually appeals to you and has good feedback. Splurge on buying it!

Please let us know if you make any breakthrough in your RTA's, I'm more than a little curious about what you find.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I haven't tried any of the Kylin RTAs, but the others you mentioned are very good flavor RTAs, all of them.

I tend to build my RTAs with single coils, if possible, either parallel or staged, and restrict the airflow some, even if that forces me to drop the wattage a little. You have to experiment with coil positioning, wattage, and airflow; an RTA might require a completely different setup than a sub-ohm tank. As another member mentioned, the air has to hit the bottom of the coil for best flavor. I also think N80 gives the best flavor, but that is such a subjective thing - every one of us has different preferences of metals.

There are also a couple of families of flavors that don't take to high wattage as well as others. Chocolates especially come to mind, but that would be true no matter if you were running a sub-ohm tank or an RTA.

The Voopoo PnP and TPP coils are hard to beat for flavor, but the Voopoo RTA Pod tank (fits the same base as PnP or TPP pod tank) does a pretty good job of keeping up. It's a single coil rebuildable with a deck that's very similar to a Wasp Nano RDA. I think it has better flavor and a bit more heat than the Wasp, actually. (I am NOT talking about the Voopoo PnP RBA. That thing is junk.)

Check coil placement, make sure to check its placement in relation to the airflow - that makes a big difference in the flavor.
What resistance are you using and what do you prefer? What material is the coil made of and what is your mod wattage/voltage? Youi probably know your tanks pretty well and the Kylin dual coil RTAs worked well (for me) at higher wattages than the mini. Man I sure did want the new Kylin Mini II RTA when it came out, never did end up buying it....

But that is irrelevant to your issue!

There are some GREAT new coil heads as another member pointed out, subohm tanks have come such a long way. Take the mesh coil heads, very good flavor but I don't relish the price tag associated with its replacement every 1-2 weeks. You can determine whether its worth it to you.

Have you watched any build tutorials or read reviews for your tanks? If so, try branching out and reading/watching some different ones, other than those you already know by memory.
Whatever you decide, keep trying! Those are very nice tanks. Maybe you should do some research and find a tank that visually appeals to you and has good feedback. Splurge on buying it!

Please let us know if you make any breakthrough in your RTA's, I'm more than a little curious about what you find.
Thanks for the reply, as you mentioned, all of those are nice tanks, my mod is Voopoo Drag Plat. , the wattage for subs is usually 55 to 65, but for RTAs between 40-55, voltage 3.3 . using usually GeekVape prebuild coils, especially fused claptons, but you are right, should do some up and down the coils, as far as I knew, the position of the coil is so important, even if I don't deal with any dry hit or spit back!
Thanks for your help.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for the reply, as you mentioned, all of those are nice tanks, my mod is Voopoo Drag Plat. , the wattage for subs is usually 55 to 65, but for RTAs between 40-55, voltage 3.3 . using usually GeekVape prebuild coils, especially fused claptons, but you are right, should do some up and down the coils, as far as I knew, the position of the coil is so important, even if I don't deal with any dry hit or spit back!
Thanks for your help.
Dump the GV coils....Those rtas are some of the best flavor attys around... the only common factor is the coils

Dump the GV coils....Those rtas are some of the best flavor attys around... the only common factor is the coils
Oh boy I thought those coils were nice. So the flavor is killed by inefficient GeekVape coils !! Aha, I will search to find some good prebuild coils online. Thanks for the help.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh boy I thought those coils were nice. So the flavor is killed by inefficient GeekVape coils !!
Coils can make or break a rebuildable atomizers performance. I'm not so sure that's the problem though. My advice would be to work on your wicking. Too much cotton through the coil or in the wicking slots will kill your flavor output. The goal is to be able to have the liquid to be able to flow somewhat freely. It takes practice and you want to find the perfect middle ground. Too little and you risk leaking or flooding. Too much, and it doesn't perform well. You want the slots full with loose cotton, not packed tight. It should be somewhat snug through the coil, but not tight.

I'm not sure what you're exact problem is but that would be my advice. It doesn't hurt to try different coils as well. Since you're new to rebuildables maybe get some Coilology wire or try Wotofo. Avoid brands that use 32ga Clapton wraps on anything. Stay away from Demon Killer coils too lol. I never hear praise about that brand. Long ago, I tried some of their wire and it was terrible.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've used a few of those GV coils, never had a problem with them. All of the ones I used were N80, though - I don't do Kanthal. Same with the GV wire, although I do like Wotofo better, but all of it's getting nearly impossible to find.

VU Sponsors