Become a Patron!

Flavors or Ingredients That Give a Dry Vape?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure if this will make much sense or not but it seems like some ejuices are 'wetter' than others. The ones I notice drying my mouth out are typically bready/bakery flavors. Any variety of cakes, doughnuts, graham crackers, etc. It's not a pleasant experience for me and I prefer cleaner tasting vapes rather than flavors that leave me smacking my lips like I just ate the last driest muffin on the face of the planet and there's nothing to wash it down with after lol.

The reason I ask, several recipes I've run across all seem to include graham cracker. Is there another reason for using it as an ingredient, does it act as a sweetener or something to mellow out harsher flavors or? My only fear is that using cheesecakes or graham cracker flavorings are going to leave me with a dry after taste sensation.

Various recipes from ry4 variations to mother's milk or unicorn milk clones use either cheesecake or graham crackers or a combination of the two. I like tribeca (authentic), I don't care for mbv's ry4 and it tends to dry my mouth out. I like vapewild's wrecking ball though it's more of a fruit based. I'd like to try making a few others to see what all the fuss is about, I'd rather not spend $20-30 on a bottle of premium ejuice just to find it has that similar dry aftertaste sensation.

If it is in fact the graham crackers (I've tried straight graham cracker flavored juice from a couple different vendors) that's causing the dry mouth effect is there another flavoring that can be substituted that isn't of the bakery variety? Both mother's milk and unicorn milk seem similar, creamy/milky with strawberry tones and those together sound nice sans the licking a dry paper towel with bakery flavors. Or is there another unrelated ingredient commonly used that has this effect and it just so happens that it's often used to enhance bakery flavors?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I know this is kind of a weird quirk and no offense to those who enjoy the bakery stuff.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wish i had a good suggestion, but I vape mostly bakery/custard vapes and don't really have that issue. Maybe @Heabob will see this and have a suggestion, he's more a pro at this than I am.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not sure if this will make much sense or not but it seems like some ejuices are 'wetter' than others.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I know this is kind of a weird quirk and no offense to those who enjoy the bakery stuff.

Assuming you're talking about vendors e-juice only?
Covers a lot of ground tho even if not.
Others have had trouble with certain flavors, or brands(FA), to be causing dry mouth.
DIY can be better suited to your own preferences, rather than being stuck with overpriced vendor juice.
Don't really know of and good replacements for Graham Cracker, Cheesecake Graham, or NY Cheesecake.
You may just have a "thing' for certain flavors that don't work.
Trying some of the recipes without using those flavors probably won't hurt, or even reducing the amounts used.
Luckily I don't get that effect from those flavors.
Sometimes adding 1% Marshmallow, 1% Meringue, & 1% Brown Sugar can help with dryness.
And 0.5-1% FA Coconut.
Even Vanilla, Cream, Butter.
Have to use the flavors like in baking...

Using FA Fresh Cream & Vienna Cream has a drying effect for me tho.

If you like Bakery types:
FW Cinnamon Roll, FW Butter Pecan, & FW Hazelnut are a few good ones.

Many/most of the Mother's Milk, and Unicorn Milk clone recipes online I haven't cared for.
But 2% INW Shisha Strawberry + 4% CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream + 2% TFA Dairy Milk is one of my favs.
Adding 1% INW Biscuit is also great IMO.
No dryness at all.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replies. Any bakery flavors I've tried are premade, mbv, vapewild, vaperite etc. I've tried mbv's cinnamon roll and the flavor was decent, it tasted like a cinn roll. It's the bready 'flavor' that gets to me, leaves my mouth wicked dry for some reason. Maybe the companies I've tried are using FA flavors and that's the reason. I've also tried a couple different cheesecakes and the creamy component (what would be the filling of a cheesecake) has good flavor, it's the crust flavor in there that comes off 'dry' to me. Like on the exhale, leaving my mouth completely void of moisture.

I've not tried any of the diy unicorn milk recipes and haven't tried the authentic either. Hate to go spending on a premium ejuice just to find out I have a 30ml bottle of something I don't like. Did that with v3 when I placed an order and thought oh cool, they have a ry4 blend. Being that I generally like ry4's that would be safe, so chose it as the free 100ml bottle. I've powered through some of it not to waste it but that was months ago and I have like 80ml of 'bleh' staring me in the face. lol.

I wasn't sure if like it is with cooking some ingredients are crucial. For instance when it comes to food I'm not a fan of salt, rarely do I add salt to anything once it's cooked but there are some things that absolutely need salt or they turn out flavorless. Since so many ejuice recipes seem to use graham crackers I didn't know if it had a real purpose other than adding a graham cracker flavor. Much like salt is a common cooking ingredient that people wouldn't just eat by itself, but that goes in so many recipes because while it may not be great on its own it enhances other flavors.

My first round of diy attempts didn't go so well, I used some premixed vg/pg with nic in it and added some flavors from mbv but I think I followed some bad instructions online and used way too much flavoring. Thinking I'll get some vg and thicken the base up a bit, dilute the nic, try using less flavor and see if that helps. I've just found that for the most part my preference leans toward 'cleaner' or 'lighter' type juices. If that's even a thing. Fruits, berries, banana, etc. For instance I like vapewild's 'the goat' which is a blueberry and yogurt combo but I don't care for blueberry muffin type flavors, the bready/bakery/muffin part kills it for me. Cereal flavors do the same thing, whether it be captain crunch, rice krispies or whatever else. They taste true but make me feel like I ate a handful of just dry cereal.

One of the recipes that I was considering for the unicorn milk uses all CAP flavors from what I can tell, vanilla bean ice cream, sweet cream, butter cream, sweet strawberry and vanilla custard with a little graham cracker and ny cheesecake. The g.c. and cheesecake only account for 1% of the total but not sure if that's enough to give it the dry aftertaste or not.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to add a couple of drops of Ethyl Maltol to Hangsen tobaccos. That would cut down the dryness for me.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've tried mbv's cinnamon roll

That flavor is actually made by Flavor West (FW), as are many others from MBV.
Cinnamon Roll was better for me when used at 5% or less as the milder versions don't burn me out on that flavor so easily.

One of the recipes that I was considering for the unicorn milk uses all CAP flavors from what I can tell, vanilla bean ice cream, sweet cream, butter cream, sweet strawberry and vanilla custard with a little graham cracker and ny cheesecake. The g.c. and cheesecake only account for 1% of the total but not sure if that's enough to give it the dry aftertaste or not.

CAP has many good flavors too, although many need to steep for a week.
Don't bother with the CAP Strawberry flavors tho, as INW Shisha Strawberry is way better IMO.
And much less is usually needed...
Blackberry & Blueberry are fair, Sweet Tangerine is yummy, and the Sweet Mango is decent.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Heabob, I appreciate the info. I know taste is subjective and being a noob to diy have no basis for comparison. That may explain why the particular recipe I was looking at for unicorn milk looked so heavy on the flavoring, especially with the strawberry. They used 7 different flavors, most around 0.5% to 1.5% of the total including vg/pg base and yet the strawberry called for 8.5%. I thought whoa, that's a lot of strawberry and from what I understand from folks' descriptions, unicorn milk is more or less creamy with a fairly light strawberry exhale. It sounded like the strawberry would be a bit heavy handed but if CAP is somewhat on the weak side maybe not.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It sounded like the strawberry would be a bit heavy handed but if CAP is somewhat on the weak side maybe not.

Yes, it is kind of a mild SB, and the same as TFA Strawberry Ripe which some use just to help adding sweetness.
SB is so mild it's barely detectable, if at all.
But I think it's used in many recipes for just that reason, and they're not really meant to be a Strawberry recipe anyhow.
Or at least as you described, a mild, or hint of Strawberry.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've just found that for the most part my preference leans toward 'cleaner' or 'lighter' type juices. If that's even a thing. Fruits, berries, banana, etc. For instance I like vapewild's 'the goat' which is a blueberry and yogurt combo but I don't care for blueberry muffin type flavors, the bready/bakery/muffin part kills it for me. Cereal flavors do the same thing, whether it be captain crunch, rice krispies or whatever else. They taste true but make me feel like I ate a handful of just dry cereal.
You're not alone in your vape preference. I typically like lighter vapes myself. Desert vapes tend to be either too heavy and/or flat out gross to me. It just may be a thing that you don't like and that's fine. There are plenty of flavors out there. Deserts (anything bready) tend to be more difficult to work with anyway and do require steep time almost always. Maybe it's something you can return to at some point.
As for the Unicorn mixture you referenced, many people are sensitive to TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream or Ice cream in general... so maybe that's what you are experiencing there?? I've never heard of anyone getting a drying sensation from Graham cracker but it's not impossible.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure what it is, I assumed it was 'bakery' type flavors. I've gotten bad dry mouth from many cereals, donuts, etc, those type of flavors. Oddly enough I tried some 'snickerdoodle' from vapewild (where I get most of my juices) and it didn't do that to me. Not my favorite flavor but not bad and no dry mouth. Cheesecake flavors usually do it to me (straight cheesecake as the flavor, not as just an ingredient). Maybe it's something else or another common flavor/ingredient that I've yet to pinpoint.

The unicorn milk/strawberry shake flavor I referenced was just one I was interested in, I've not yet tried it. My concern was over the use of things like graham cracker and cheesecake within the recipe if those are known dry mouth offenders. I'm sure I'll probably try the recipe as is before making any adjustments, give it a chance.

I've just noticed the more bready/bakery type flavors almost always leave my mouth really dry. Grains, cereals (rice krisps, scallywag/capn crunch, fruit loops), donuts, choc donuts. I've only tried one vanilla ice cream, it wasn't too bad. Not much flavor, mostly light/sweet but hopefully with other flavors added it will have more flavor.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not sure what it is, I assumed it was 'bakery' type flavors. I've gotten bad dry mouth from many cereals, donuts, etc, those type of flavors. Oddly enough I tried some 'snickerdoodle' from vapewild (where I get most of my juices) and it didn't do that to me.
I've never had VapeWild but I would imagine they add either EM or sweetener so that may cut down on the dry factor. As I think someone else has stated, adding Marshmallow tends to make the vape more moist. (plus it's just really yummy) Maybe try that if you haven't already. Also, a lot of vendors add Saline.

netweight

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, so I don't get a dry hit but I just get this terrible taste with every single bakery and cream flavor I've ever tried. They smell wonderful but that's all, for me. I vape only fruits and candies. I did try a vanilla blackberry from Virgin vapors and while it took a long time steeping, it was great, while other vanillas I tried had that bs bakery taste. Also I assumed yogurts would not be for me but I've started using Flavour Arts' Yogurt and I love it! None of that garbage mouth I get from other creams or bakeries. Can anyone point out any other concentrated flavors like this? Any other yogurts or cream flavor concentrates fit the bill?

It's so hard to explain.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok, so I don't get a dry hit but I just get this terrible taste with every single bakery and cream flavor I've ever tried. They smell wonderful but that's all, for me. I vape only fruits and candies. I did try a vanilla blackberry from Virgin vapors and while it took a long time steeping, it was great, while other vanillas I tried had that bs bakery taste. Also I assumed yogurts would not be for me but I've started using Flavour Arts' Yogurt and I love it! None of that garbage mouth I get from other creams or bakeries. Can anyone point out any other concentrated flavors like this? Any other yogurts or cream flavor concentrates fit the bill?

It's so hard to explain.

FA Yogurt is a good one, but I like mixing it in with fruits, never tried it stand alone.
Don't know if I'd bother trying other brands of "Yogurt", if you like FA, just stick with it...
CAP Creamy Yogurt might be a little "creamier", but hard to justify unless you think it's one you really "must have".
You can add Cream, or sweetness, to FA Yogurt easy enough if that's the desired goal.
Or 0.5% FA Condensed MIlk can add some "sour" also.

Creams & Vanillas usually don't work well stand alone, but mixing them with fruits works much better IMO.
(Although DIYFS French Vanilla at 5% was quite good)

Maybe you could list the brands and amounts of the Creams, Vanillas, & Bakery flavors you've had this problem with?

netweight

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you Heabob. Yes, I've been mixing the fa yogurt with cap sweet sb and TFA sb ripe, very delicious.

I wish I could better explain what bothers me about creams and bakeries, maybe it's the mouthfeel or harshness? I can't pinpoint it but strangely I even get it with vanillas. It's like I get the flavor but also something else that overpowers it. I bought a few samples of non fruit concentrates but have been nervous to try them. My issue has been with commercial creams and bakeries. Examples:

Loaded - Donuts
Vapewild - sc2 and all their creams and bakeries.
Raw - devil's milk

I've stuck with fruits and candies so I wouldn't spend too much only to be stuck with stuff I don't like. I would say, well maybe I just don't like some flavors, but:
1. They smell delicious and I love baked goods and creams and vanilla in food.
2. Why is this taste or mouthfeel or harshness not only in creams or bakeries, why is it in ALL of them?

I would guess maybe it's sweeteners but I'm positive candies use sweeteners and I don't dislike them. Hmm. Sorry to bother you all with this

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Loaded - Donuts
Vapewild - sc2 and all their creams and bakeries.
Raw - devil's milk

Being as they are vendor pre-mixes it's really hard to determine the flavors/brands being used.
Some may use a lot of sweetener, which I find has an off taste when used to high myself.

Candies, or Fruits, may not have as much being used as some are meant to be more tart.
Also the stronger flavors can sometimes help in hiding the offensive tastes.
Softer, more delicate, Bakery, or Dairy/Vanilla mixes will reveal things like bad NIC, or over sweetening, much easier.
Which is why I don't use sweetener very often, and when used I keep it down to 1-3 drops in 15ml.

The Creams, Vanillas, & Bakery flavors I use are yummy, but that's just another reason I prefer DIY.
Being able to fine tune recipes to ones own personal tastes is the "cats meow".
You can also weed out the flavors that you find have an undesirable taste or effect.

FW Cinnamon Roll, FW Butter Pecan, & FW Hazelnut are great tasting Bakery flavors even stand alone.
INW Biscuit, FA Cookie, & CAP Sugar Cookie v1 are some more great Bakery mixers.
TFA and CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream work good with fruits along with TFA Dairy Milk, or FW Milk.
TFA Vanilla Swirl is kind-of a universal flavor that works in most anything.
Same with CAP Sweet Cream, or TFA Sweet Cream.
Hangsen Cream is another hidden gem and usually only requires 0.5%.
INW Shisha Vanilla is one of the best IMO, along many other great flavors.
FA Marshmallow is another universal flavor that can be added to anything, 0.5-2%.
(Adds mouthfeel(body), and a bit of sweetness)

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
As mentioned above, maybe try adding some saline. You don't need much because you can end up with a salty flavor, but in smaller amounts it can really enhance or authenticate a lot of different flavors from fruits to bakeries. Same concept as a lot of foods that are predominately sweet, but wouldn't taste right w/out the salt in the background.

VU Sponsors