Become a Patron!

Flavors - Where to begin...

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I concentrated on everything else except mixing a tasty juice. I have everything I need to mix, except the good flavors. I'm looking for a one stop answer to begin, one good online shop that has most of the common ingredients I see in the recipes out there. Commonly used sweeteners and additives I might need, etc.

Any basic list of ingredients would be highly appreciated. The common things any chef would have.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This will probably become your best source. Don't be put off with there being craft brewing stuff. The flavorings work for cooking, baking, craft brewing, vaping. Be cautious to not use any oil based flavorings. Those are what cause the scare as oils can settle in lungs. Use water soluble flavorings instead.

As to the amount of water/moisture you might get from vaping in your lungs? It's comparable to what you get built up by showering daily per year. And this will dissipate out of your system readily so as to not build up. You'll expire it out via simply breathing. Least ways this is what I've gathered from half a dozen or so sources. No, cannot cite but the info is out and about readily enough if looked into (read common knowledge).

Here's a basic list;

PG -- To liking
VG -- To liking
Nicotine -- Or not, to liking
Flavorings -- Or not, to liking

Nicotine is usually expressed strength wise & generally discussed as for example 18mg/ml. That means 18mg of nicotine per ml of juice. flavorings are discussed as percentages or in ml, mg depending on how you set that up. Some even use drops. Usually don't see flavoring go too much over 10% of volume of juice.

Pg and Vg are in percentages. You'll see 70/30 a good bit, or Max Vg/Pg. You can get nicotine in either "carrier" so as to keep your percentage ratios as you want. That's what Pg & Vg are called, carriers. They carry the flavors/nicotine. Pg gives more throat hit and makes juice thinner. Vg is smoother giving more vapor cloud, thicker juice.There's also 50/50 which blends the two in equal proportions.

Note you like to use unflavored. I do as well. Folks generally call that "base". It's your PG/VG & nicotine, that's all. I like a max Vg base @ 18mg/ml nicotine. Can add a little flavor now and then as desired just to hump over monotony. Like mints a bit, bubble gum some, ... keep coming back to unflavored.

Recipes look like:

Batch size --- 60ml
Pg -- 70%
Vg -- 30%
Flavoring -- 5% (carrier for nicotine/flavorings is pg at roughly 5%)
Flavor A ....... .10 ml / 3 drop / 2 gram
Flavor B ....... .02 ml / 1.5 drop / .5 gram
Flavor C ...... .03 ml / 1.7 drop / .7 gram
(numbers above are just illustration example)
nicotine strength -- as desired

Kind of forget your batch size, you're always targeting 100%. You can also kind of forget any +/- from nicotine. It'll all "cram/blend" in together.

You might better think 60ml is say 100. You'll use 42 ml of Pg to get 70%, or rather 39 if your nicotine is in Pg. Whatever is left is then divided up with flavorings, Vg, nicotine.

I got the 42 and 39 respectively by multiply 60 by .70 and .65. 1 ml is 100% and that's what I'm "aiming" at. 70% of 1 ml is .70ml. That's the only reason you recall your batch size, "how much am I getting made up?" Sorry if my "shortcut math" seems to not make sense. it does for me but I'm a math dyslexic. *grins* Besides that K.I.S.S works out for scattered minds as well as organized ones.

I do likewise for doing the flavorings. So for example I'll figure out 5% of 60 ml is 3 ml. I then use 3 as my 100%. Then, I can divide up however many flavorings go into a recipe via percentage/ml using that "batch" as a 100 target.

Also important note from upon high at Grand Central Recipe Masters United, "we shall always place Pg before Vg in any recipes or discussion of such, that is all." The rationale being you never need ask, 70% what, Vg,Pg? Non, it's always 70% Pg. This keeps everything standardized, unified, clear for all.

*sees raised hand* "No, Mr. @harry_wilson the Grand Central Recipe Masters United is not a real thing. It is a fictional name given to common convention among vaping ejuice mixers though. Everyone (or nearly so) has kind of agreed this is the better way to discuss the ratio/s of Pg & Vg in ejuice."

*knew/knows Mr. @harry_wilson will/would raise a hand to question as he is a Raven, one new and seeking knowledge ... often tosses out bits and bobs for ravens so as to keep everyone seeking* ;) :D :)

If we stop seeking, we lose curiosity & wonder, lose those and you lose majik. Seeking creates majik. with majik worlds are created, tales woven, folks entertained and informed, life carries on as the tides ebb and flow. All is well.

Last edited:

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
These are the sweeteners available at BullCity. Thoughts? What here is a must have, and are any a definite pass?
ItemPriceQuantityTotal
Ethyl Maltol (PG)
The Flavor Apprentice

Ethyl Maltol (PG)

Size:4ozChange
$7.49Decrease Quantity of Ethyl Maltol (PG) Increase Quantity of Ethyl Maltol (PG)$7.49
Super Sweet-PUR
Purilum

Super Sweet-PUR

Size:2ozChange
$5.24Decrease Quantity of Super Sweet-PUR Increase Quantity of Super Sweet-PUR$5.24
Sweet Mate-VT
VT Flavours

Sweet Mate-VT

size:10mlChange
$2.99Decrease Quantity of Sweet Mate-VT Increase Quantity of Sweet Mate-VT$2.99
Sweetener-FW
Flavor West

Sweetener-FW

Size:10mlChange
$1.49Decrease Quantity of Sweetener-FW Increase Quantity of Sweetener-FW$1.49
Sweetener-SC-WF
Wonder Flavours

Sweetener-SC-WF

$1.99Decrease Quantity of Sweetener-SC-WF Increase Quantity of Sweetener-SC-WF$1.99
Sweetness-FLV
Flavorah

Sweetness-FLV

Size:15ml Original Bottle

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Supernoob,

A while back you mentioned having to drive to a neighboring state to get supplies, but my understanding is you can get X Delivery in NY.

On PerfectVape.com, at the top of the home page when you click "PMTA/Shipping Updates", at the bottom of the resulting page you'll see:

UPDATE October 21st, 2021

To Our PV Customers,

Due to the recent changes with USPS discontinuing shipping Vapor Products, we have moved to a solution to continue to provide for our customers. We are now shipping through X Delivery.

What changes will occur?

• Free Shipping will no longer be an option
  • Fixed $10 flat fee
  • Required adult signature and possible ID verification at the time of delivery
(end)

I think they have all the stuff you want, sweeteners, several brands of flavor concentrates, nic base, ready to vape eliquids, bottles, caps, droppers, etc. etc.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
These are the sweeteners available at BullCity. Thoughts? What here is a must have, and are any a definite pass?
ItemPriceQuantityTotal
Ethyl Maltol (PG)
The Flavor Apprentice

Ethyl Maltol (PG)

Size:4ozChange
$7.49Decrease Quantity of Ethyl Maltol (PG) Increase Quantity of Ethyl Maltol (PG)$7.49
Super Sweet-PUR
Purilum

Super Sweet-PUR

Size:2ozChange
$5.24Decrease Quantity of Super Sweet-PUR Increase Quantity of Super Sweet-PUR$5.24
Sweet Mate-VT
VT Flavours

Sweet Mate-VT

size:10mlChange
$2.99Decrease Quantity of Sweet Mate-VT Increase Quantity of Sweet Mate-VT$2.99
Sweetener-FW
Flavor West

Sweetener-FW

$1.49Decrease Quantity of Sweetener-FW Increase Quantity of Sweetener-FW$1.49
Sweetener-SC-WF
Wonder Flavours

Sweetener-SC-WF

$1.99Decrease Quantity of Sweetener-SC-WF Increase Quantity of Sweetener-SC-WF$1.99
Sweetness-FLV
Flavorah

Sweetness-FLV

Size:15ml Original Bottle
You want Capella Super Sweet and either Flavor West Sweetener or Flavorah Sweetness.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I concentrated on everything else except mixing a tasty juice. I have everything I need to mix, except the good flavors. I'm looking for a one stop answer to begin, one good online shop that has most of the common ingredients I see in the recipes out there. Commonly used sweeteners and additives I might need, etc.

Any basic list of ingredients would be highly appreciated. The common things any chef would have.
i would go to Bull City. Great selection, fast service. With the addition of the FA kitchen line, there’s not much reason to go elsewhere anymore.

As for a list of flavors you need, that’s a little tougher. Personal opinion comes into play here. Every person has their own list of flavors they would never do without and flavors they hate…..and someone else will love the flavors you hate and vice versa. That said, I would head over to youtube and check out Noted. Three people test a genre of flavors(strawberries, blueberries, coffees, etc…) and rate them. They’re seasoned mixers and don’t always agree, but it’s so much knowledge all packed in an hour. Totally worth it.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
i would go to Bull City. Great selection, fast service. With the addition of the FA kitchen line, there’s not much reason to go elsewhere anymore.

As for a list of flavors you need, that’s a little tougher. Personal opinion comes into play here. Every person has their own list of flavors they would never do without and flavors they hate…..and someone else will love the flavors you hate and vice versa. That said, I would head over to youtube and check out Noted. Three people test a genre of flavors(strawberries, blueberries, coffees, etc…) and rate them. They’re seasoned mixers and don’t always agree, but it’s so much knowledge all packed in an hour. Totally worth it.
I'm not too worried about complex mixes or anything yet. I'm just a bit confused on certain ingredients. I see products that "smooth" things, etc. Is there anything else needed or optional besides flavors and sweeteners? Like...I want to make fruit flavors, and I see separate ingredients like "sour", etc. Or can I just mix grape, apple, and sweetener and be done? That's what I mean about what sort of ingredients, not really flavors in particular.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not too worried about complex mixes or anything yet. I'm just a bit confused on certain ingredients. I see products that "smooth" things, etc. Is there anything else needed or optional besides flavors and sweeteners? Like...I want to make fruit flavors, and I see separate ingredients like "sour", etc. Or can I just mix grape, apple, and sweetener and be done? That's what I mean about what sort of ingredients, not really flavors in particular.
I've got used to less sweet mixes so don't have any sweeteners (except LB that turns out is just EM... ethyl maltol) I like the taste of EM by itself (it's what's in cotton candy) but I have noticed it can "mute" flavors so I don't use it much (but then some people claim it can help mellow out harsh flavors too) Personally (even though CAP super sweet is popular) I have decided to try FLV sweetness. There are a few flavors that can be useful like cactus (supposed to make fruits more juicy but some people can't stand the flavor... haven't tried it myself) I recently discovered FA Lulo (it's also very juicy but has a citrus taste... I like it but has a slight grapefruit thing going on) Dragonfruit is very useful (reminds me of "juicy fruit" gum) and doesn't affect other fruit flavors too much... blends right in. I have no interest in sour (reminds me too much of "jolly ranchers" candy) Another one I recently tried is FA liquid amber (makes fruits taste "cooked"... works great for pies and other baked fruit recipes) I haven't tried "cooling agents" but there is koolada (popular), WS-3 (or something like that) and of course menthol. I happen to love PUR butter mint and it's great with fruits (it's like those after dinner mints) I often mix something creamy with fruits to "smooth" them out.
The most important thing to remember is not all brands (and not all flavors of the same brand) use the same % They can range from 1 % to 10 % so never assume (and if you substitute a different brand in a recipe, it won't always be the same amount) One nice thing about fruits is they don't need a long steep.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ahhhh, ok. You can totally mix whatever you want! You can go straight with one flavor, if you want to. Tons of sweetener, no sweetener….whatever your heart desires!

I would say, to start, pick a sweetener(Capella Super Sweet is hands down the most popular and the best with fruits, IMO) and a coolant(WS-23 is my favorite) if you’re into cooling. All the other stuff is for more complex recipes. Like @VapeOn1960 mentioned Liquid Amber…..great for cooking fruits, but unless you’re making pies, totally unnecessary. Sour is a myth in vaping. No flavor has truly succeeded in making something sour. Twangy? Yes. Salty is also not quite there yet. TFA Smooth can take the rougher edges out of fruits. I don’t use it much, but I have it because @Howard Hughes uses it and I’ve mixed some of his recipes. But again, not necessary.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
3 words... Bull City Flavors :D Buy flavors that sound good to you and give them a whirl. Mix a few single flavor testers at different dilutions to find where you like it best and once you have decided on the flavors you like then you can start creating simple recipes and work your way up to the complex ones. With flavoring being so cheap I wouldn't put to much time into figuring out what other people think are the "good" flavors and just experiment a little and find out what fits your taste :)

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Just ordered these from BullCityFlavors:
Marshmallow - FA
Meringue - FA
Vanilla Custard II - TFA
Vanilla Whipped Cream - Cap

Caramel V2 - Cap
Double Chocolate V2 - Cap
Sugar Cookie - Cap
Graham Cracker Clear - TFA

Double Apple - Cap
Sweet Tangerine - Cap
Watermellon - FA
Cantaloupe - FA

Cotton Candy - FLV
Apple Candy - CFA
Watermellon Candy - TFA

Super Sweet - Cap
Sweetness - FLV
Sweetener - FW
Ethyl Malto

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Just ordered these from BullCityFlavors:
Marshmallow - FA
Meringue - FA
Vanilla Custard II - TFA
Vanilla Whipped Cream - Cap

Caramel V2 - Cap
Double Chocolate V2 - Cap
Sugar Cookie - Cap
Graham Cracker Clear - TFA

Double Apple - Cap
Sweet Tangerine - Cap
Watermellon - FA
Cantaloupe - FA

Cotton Candy - FLV
Apple Candy - CFA
Watermellon Candy - TFA

Super Sweet - Cap
Sweetness - FLV
Sweetener - FW
Ethyl Malto
Nice picks!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Somewhere along the lines I came across a thread or a list or a link that showed the basic percentages to use for each of many of the flavors.... I cant seem to find it. Can anyone point me to such a thing? TIA

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
On e-liquid-recipes there are flavor notes that different mixers have made, and often you can find percentage recommendations in those notes.

If you have a flavor in your flavor stash there, just click the flavor name (either in a recipe or in the stash itself). You'll then go to a screen where you can select "Notes".

VU Sponsors